Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by joewillie78 »

Great game. Will post more when I get home.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Great game. Will post more when I get home.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:34 pm Ivy hater QK said there will be only 2 Ivies in the NCAA tourney. Save this post!
Is Quint wrong?

I’m an Ivy fan, but aren’t they collectively something like 1-10 versus the B1G and ACC?

Hard to imagine more than two Ivy teams in the tournament at this point.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

🎶From blue Cayuga..🎶

Nice win against a talented Penn team.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:03 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:34 pm Ivy hater QK said there will be only 2 Ivies in the NCAA tourney. Save this post!
Is Quint wrong?

I’m an Ivy fan, but aren’t they collectively something like 1-10 versus the B1G and ACC?

Hard to imagine more than two Ivy teams in the tournament at this point.

DocBarrister
I agree. I can imagine scenarios where they're a one-bid league more easily than I can imagine scenarios where they get 3.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Home from just a perfect day at the Kopf. It felt so good to finally watch this great team live and they played great.

I'm going to start by saying watching Handley vs. Adler go at it for 60 minutes was worth the price of admission. Two of the best just battling all game with both winning some battles but 1 play toward the end of the game where it looked like Handley just said I'm taking over, he circled behind the cage with Adler draped all over him, then as he neared clearing the cage to try to get a shot, Adler gave him a body check while stick checking his hands, knocked the ball loose, scooped up the GB and cleared it to another player. Right then, I said to myself, that's why that dude is the best close defender in the game.

The 2 headed monster, Cascadden/Petrakis were awesome on the X and I love that when they win it cleanly, they are like freight trains to the net.

Kirst can shoot from any side, any angle, and it is off so quick so he just needs his hands free for a split second and that rocket is in the back of the net.

Towards about the middle of the 4th, Chayse simply said, nothing is getting by and he just stoned everything late to put the game away.

Blake looked the best I have seen him, moving and dodging and firing rockets. Coyle is just non stop energy making play after play. Kelleher is just fun to watch with his bulldog downhill dodging, drawing slide after slide.

Though windy, the sun was out in full force and now the Big Green, with tons of confidence invade the Kopf next Saturday. Already itching to go watch the much improved Dartmouth team against this great Cornell team.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Last edited by joewillie78 on Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Well, if Penn or Princeton win 4-5 in a row down the stretch to end the season, isn't that exactly the same situation as Notre Dame last season? Going on a late season winning streak in conference when that conference had a poor out of conference all season long? I just wish they would be consistent from season to season. Actually, I just wish they would announce the game that is on rather than talking about tournament bids in March (just too early), who is in their personal top 10 team rankings (we have polls), and stuff in other games such as the Notre Dame football team attending yesterday's lax game (who cares).

It's such an annoying broadcast. Give me Barry Leonard any day. They were talking about things as goals were being scored. I never want to knock lax on TV, but it is a difficult listen when Carr, Q, or Anish are on the broadcast team.
Last edited by Chousnake on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The key today was face offs. 24 of 34. When was the last time that happened? Maybe back when Dom Massimillian was the FOGO? And there were a few non-calls for Penn pushes in the first half that would have made it even more lopsided than that. Great job by Cascadden and Petrakis. Complete reversal from last year's Penn game when Cornell could not win a draw. Without some of those horrible non-calls, this game would have been close to over at halftime. It was 9-5 Cornell and Penn got 2-3 undeserved possessions that led to two goals. Penn just did not have the ball in the 2nd half.

Kirst put on a shooting clinic today. He doesn't need much room or much of the net to score. Just unreal. Coyle was fantastic as well and had two big goals in the 3rd quarter. Blake is getting healthier by the week. Kelleher had his best game of the season. The defense was solid after Penn took the early 4-1 lead. Ierlan was sharp after Penn tied the game at 9. Cornell outscored Penn 9-3 over the final 27 minutes or so.

Cornell also went 2-2 on man up. The ground ball margin in the second half had be huge. Penn won some battles early in the game, but Cornell seemed to get every loose ball in the second half.

Kudos to the coaching staff for another strong 2nd half and an excellent game plan.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOb0ti3OUg8

Highlights: Cornell Men's Lacrosse vs Penn - 3/26/23
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

CU88 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:30 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOb0ti3OUg8

Not sure who was editing those highlights, but several times they cut off before a goal was scored. Amateur hour.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:23 pm Cornell is struggling to get shots so far. Long is missed. I don’t understand why Quint can’t just look on the bench to see if he is dressed and on the bench
I didn't catch this one, but were they at the game? I know for at least some early games this season the broadcasters were still Covid style remote. ESPN and others are trying to spend about .02 on lacrosse broadcast production, so I wouldn't be stunned if Q was sitting in Baltimore watching a TV feed.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:22 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:23 pm Cornell is struggling to get shots so far. Long is missed. I don’t understand why Quint can’t just look on the bench to see if he is dressed and on the bench
I didn't catch this one, but were they at the game? I know for at least some early games this season the broadcasters were still Covid style remote. ESPN and others are trying to spend about .02 on lacrosse broadcast production, so I wouldn't be stunned if Q was sitting in Baltimore watching a TV feed.
They were broadcasting remotely. Anish had what looked like a framed Carolina Panthers “Shroff” jersey with the #22 hanging behind him. A mixed homage to his alma mater’s lacrosse team and his broadcasting gig??? Weird.

BTW great game by the Big Red. They’ve looked as good as anyone this year. Nice to see their offense humming without Long too.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Handley went 3-1 for Penn, but when Adler was covering him, he only had 1-1. Another Adler shutdown.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:30 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:22 pm
They were broadcasting remotely. Anish had what looked like a framed Carolina Panthers “Shroff” jersey with the #22 hanging behind him. A mixed homage to his alma mater’s lacrosse team and his broadcasting gig??? Weird.

BTW great game by the Big Red. They’ve looked as good as anyone this year. Nice to see their offense humming without Long too.
I didn't realize they were remote until the game ended and they put them both on the screen and they were clearly in a home or office. Oh well.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

laxjuris wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:07 pm
CU88 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:30 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOb0ti3OUg8

Not sure who was editing those highlights, but several times they cut off before a goal was scored. Amateur hour.
That's terrible. 20 seconds of a time out in the highlights, but cut off many of the goals going in the net....
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Worst highlights I have ever seen. Glad I was there to see them live and no need to see them.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:05 pm Handley went 3-1 for Penn, but when Adler was covering him, he only had 1-1. Another Adler shutdown.
Yes, and that was all Handley as Adler was all over him, doing what he should do but Handley has a howitzer, and he got off a great shot. You have to watch along time to actually see Adler actually get beat. It just doesn't happen very often.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

My son had an out-of-town basketball camp this afternoon, so I had the pleasure of listening to the game by streaming the ESPNU feed through my car's sound system via Hulu.

Holy God, what a chulsterf/ck.

I would say the broadcast was my 15% play-by-play and 85% color commentary. Which is frustrating because Anish is actually a decent play-by-play man when he does it, but most of the time it's as if he cant' be bothered. At least 5 times, I heard the crowd cheering in the background while Quint was droning on and on about some quasi-relevant point, and had to wait 30 seconds or more for him to finish so Quint could tell us Cornell had scored a goal.

One of the most frustrating listening experiences I've ever had. Absolutey terrible broadcast by these two. Why Anish feels the need to "reveal" to the audience that the Ivies aren't getting six teams in the tourney, not once, not twice, but fine times, and each time declaring it as if it had just occurred to him, is absolutely beyond me.

So frustrating that there's no Cornell radio broadcast this/ season; today just underscores for me how much I miss it.

That said, fantastic game. Maybe I'll see if I can stream the broadcast now that I'm home (with the sound off, of course).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:55 pm My son had an out-of-town basketball camp this afternoon, so I had the pleasure of listening to the game by streaming the ESPNU feed through my car's sound system via Hulu.

Holy God, what a chulsterf/ck.

I would say the broadcast was my 15% play-by-play and 85% color commentary. Which is frustrating because Anish is actually a decent play-by-play man when he does it, but most of the time it's as if he cant' be bothered. At least 5 times, I heard the crowd cheering in the background while Quint was droning on and on about some quasi-relevant point, and had to wait 30 seconds or more for him to finish so Quint could tell us Cornell had scored a goal.

One of the most frustrating listening experiences I've ever had. Absolutey terrible broadcast by these two. Why Anish feels the need to "reveal" to the audience that the Ivies aren't getting six teams in the tourney, not once, not twice, but fine times, and each time declaring it as if it had just occurred to him, is absolutely beyond me.

So frustrating that there's no Cornell radio broadcast this/ season; today just underscores for me how much I miss it.

That said, fantastic game. Maybe I'll see if I can stream the broadcast now that I'm home (with the sound off, of course).
on the one hand, we really shouldn't be complaining about our 1st world problem here. can u believe how much lacrosse we can watch now compared to 10+ years ago?

on the other hand, it's like no one cares what is getting put out there re: commentary. or it's encouraged. either way... maybe one day that, too, will change.
Last edited by wgdsr on Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”