Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by primitiveskills »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:07 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:55 pm Jays have such a finishing kick.

Melendez, Grimes and Degnon are 13 for 25.
It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a Jays team close games better
We're just wearing teams down
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Weather looked absolutely miserable out there. Never easy to get a Big Ten win on the road, especially this year. Doesn't seem like there's all that much separation between teams 1 through 6.

We won pretty much every stat except faceoffs. If we didn't spot them a few goals on self-inflicted wounds then this wouldn't have been that tight of a game early on. Can't really expect to play a perfect game in these conditions.

The story of the offense so far this season has been depth and "a new guy steps up every week" but tonight it was the big names. Degnon 5 goals, Melendez 4 goals 3 assists, Grimes 4 goals 1 assist. Got virtually nothing from the midfield outside of Grimes but Bauer, Chauvette, etc. being out didn't help.

Another big game from Hawley on the wings on a night our faceoff guys weren't playing especially well. Key caused turnover in transition to prevent Michigan from getting a big momentum goal.

Love Marcille and expect he'll be back in goal next week but moving to Caracciolo at halftime was the right decision.

Onto Rutgers. Would really like to win that one.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Very, very important win for our guys. Even though it was a game they "should" have won, extremely important that they did. A loss would have put them in a bit of hole, with RU, PSU, OSU and MD coming up. Go .500 the rest of the way and they're almost certainly in the tournament, which I think is very doable.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:32 pm Very, very important win for our guys. Even though it was a game they "should" have won, extremely important that they did. A loss would have put them in a bit of hole, with RU, PSU, OSU and MD coming up. Go .500 the rest of the way and they're almost certainly in the tournament, which I think is very doable.
All six play in the tournament but going 3-2 would make NCAA selection more likely.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:11 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:52 pm Just better athletes, deeper, for the Jays versus UM,
Emphasis on depth. Its impressive how many guys we can throw out there at both ends without a drop-off. Ince and Raposo were on the field a ton today and played well (Raposo's strip of Zawada at the end of the game was sweet). Deans is a force. Three good keepers. Lots of good parts on offense.
I think that's right. Don't win many games facing off at 40% and having a save % at 40%. Don't think the Jays were particularly good (and neither was Michigan), just think the Jays are the better, deeper team and thus won yet another ugly, important game.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

JHU69 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:39 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:32 pm Very, very important win for our guys. Even though it was a game they "should" have won, extremely important that they did. A loss would have put them in a bit of hole, with RU, PSU, OSU and MD coming up. Go .500 the rest of the way and they're almost certainly in the tournament, which I think is very doable.
All six play in the tournament but going 3-2 would make NCAA selection more likely.

I'm thinking the NCAA tournament. If they go .500 in the reg season, I think they're almost guaranteed a bid (irrespective of what they do in the B1G tourney). Getting three more wins (whether one is in the B1G tourney or not) makes them an absolute lock for the NCAA tourney. And an NCAA bid would make this season a success (in my eyes at least).
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:48 pm

I'm thinking the NCAA tournament. If they go .500 in the reg season, I think they're almost guaranteed a bid (irrespective of what they do in the B1G tourney). Getting three more wins (whether one is in the B1G tourney or not) makes them an absolute lock for the NCAA tourney. And an NCAA bid would make this season a success (in my eyes at least).
I think 8-8 after the B1G tournament doesn't make the NCAA.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JHU69 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:54 pm

.500 in the regular season and a B1G loss renders us ineligible for the NCAA tournament!
He means .500 the rest of the way — so 2-2 from here on out to finish 10-5.

We're in a good spot right now. Just win the next one.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Has this team actually played a "good" game yet? I don't think they have. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it mean that they're not actually good or that they haven't yet played up to their potential?
Basement Bias

Post by Basement Bias »

Love to win out. Haven't been able to watch as much as I'd like this year, but glad the team closed this one out in crappy weather. Please win the last two games of the regular season please. I live on the Indiana & Ohio state line area. Dislike anything to do with the Buckeyes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:26 pm Has this team actually played a "good" game yet? I don't think they have. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it mean that they're not actually good or that they haven't yet played up to their potential?
They have played excellent quarters and halves. Not sure about a full 60 minutes. I feel like one of those performances is coming. They're getting close to putting it all together.
Basement Bias

Post by Basement Bias »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:48 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:26 pm Has this team actually played a "good" game yet? I don't think they have. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it mean that they're not actually good or that they haven't yet played up to their potential?
They have played excellent quarters and halves. Not sure about a full 60 minutes. I feel like one of those performances is coming. They're getting close to putting it all together.
Love to see it all come together against Maryland!
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:58 pm

.500 in the regular season and a B1G loss renders us ineligible for the NCAA tournament!

Only team I see them beating the rest of the season is Ohio State and that will be a toss-up too
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:56 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:58 pm

Only team I see them beating the rest of the season is Ohio State and that will be a toss-up too
Noted
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

This team fights to the final whistle. We haven’t seen that in a while, frankly. To respond to your question, Blue Jays have not put together four stellar quarters. They have not played a game where they fired on all cylinders. They have never quite performed a complete “A” game.

These Blue Jays can get much better.

Which is very encouraging.

Several aspects of their game have improved compared to the Petro era … gbs, caused turnovers, and now … A RIDE.

The glitches still show from time to time, but this team is developing a real identity and chemistry. They’re aggressive and do the blue collar stuff well … physical, grinding play.

Coaches made some tough adjustments, including a goalie change that proved beneficial. This team actually has some depth now at all positions.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I agree. If I had to guess, any combination of victories that get the Blue Jays to 11 wins should make an NCAA tournament bid highly likely. Get to 10 wins and we’re probably a bubble team who would need some help.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If anyone is confused looking at last night's box score, there are all sorts of errors. The cold must have gotten to Mich's scorekeeper. Bauer, who was in street clothes, somehow wound up in the box score, but Martin, who definitely did play, is nowhere to be found.

Here's Marcille on the sideline — after getting benched, mind you — and his reaction to Deans' goal in the 4th. I might have to make this my new avatar

Old Lax Fan

Post by Old Lax Fan »

Who started the second half in goal for Hopkins?
The first two saves in that half are credited to Marcille.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Old Lax Fan wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:55 am Who started the second half in goal for Hopkins?
The first two saves in that half are credited to Marcille.
Caracciolo, the transfer from Bryant.

Like I said the box score is a mess
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:42 am If anyone is confused looking at last night's box score, there are all sorts of errors. The cold must have gotten to Mich's scorekeeper. Bauer, who was in street clothes, somehow wound up in the box score, but Martin, who definitely did play, is nowhere to be found.

Here's Marcille on the sideline — after getting benched, mind you — and his reaction to Deans' goal in the 4th. I might have to make this my new avatar

I bet he is well liked on the team. Good spirit.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”