W&L 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: W&L 2023

Post by FannOLax »

W&L's FOGO is pretty much holding his own, but CNU wings looking better on face offs. W&L looking sloppy in attack, not valuing possession and getting enough shots; but then, maybe CNU's defense is really good.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:31 pm W&L's FOGO is pretty much holding his own, but CNU wings looking better on face offs. W&L looking sloppy in attack, not valuing possession and getting enough shots; but then, maybe CNU's defense is really good.
Great night in Lexington, weather was nice, great to see W&L Hall of Famer, Ace Englehart. CNU has much better team speed than the Gennies, and Generals had no answer for Jackson on attack. CNU was quicker on FOs and wings covered well. Generals seemed a bit out of sorts at times, not sure that was CNU or something else but they had their chances on goal, and CNU goalie seemed to have Gennies number. But, CNU is a very good team, no doubt, and the Generals are good but not CNU good, yet. Let's hope they meet again.

So, CNU number 1 in Lax, basketball just won the D3 National Championship, and the women play next Saturday for the D3 crown, good things happening in Newport News, know my oldest, class of 15' at CNU, is happy.

valaxfan
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Hard fought battle. CNU has so many weapons. Felt the difference was possessions. W&L rushes quite a few giving CNU those extra opportunities on top of the FOs they get.. Holding them to 1-7 UP was impressive,
LYN Saturday will be a good one.
Nice shout out VA to the alum’s who make up the rich W&L lax. history. Was ACE part of Emmer’s famous “Armadillo” in 82 ?
Slim

Post by Slim »

No, Englehart was in the W & L glory years of the '70s. Towson High alum. Played with Lichtfuss, Chadwick, Bauer, Warfield, Emmer, and Co.
Last edited by Slim on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I think it was a valiant effort but it’s clear W&L is just not at the top tier yet. All though they are very young and will keep getting better.

Their offense definitely could score but also had some sloppiness to it and struggled against the CNU zone. They have had some early o turnovers but it’s pretty obvious to me that this program is dead set on pushing unsettled and playing faster. Quite frankly the same thing people are complaining about it what has them scoring more goals this year. They will continue to get better there.

The defense threw the kitchen sink at CNU and really had minimal impact. CNU top 5 guys are excellent. They shut cook with a pole. They shut him with a short stick and they shut him and ran a 5 man zone. The zone stuff really slowed CNU down for a portion. But I think W&L wore down. Some of it self inflicted with bad penalties.

I do think the discipline of this team has to improve. They go offsides every single game, sometimes as many as 3 times a game. They are a heavily penalized, a large majority of which are on offensive players or offsides penalties. They got one for putting 5 poles out. 8 penalties last night and only 2 were on the defense. They were very good in man down out that was an extended period of no possessions and wear on the defense.

The goaltending wasn’t the problem last night, however they simply get no help there. This where CNU and others ability to retain 5th years helps a lot. For example CNU likely would’ve been able to retain a goalie like Spagnoletti as they have with many players. The defense is arguably better than last years, but they get 50% fewer saves than they did in 2022.

They simply can’t expect to win games against high level teams doing that to themselves. They’re good, not that good.
Last edited by InsiderRoll on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:18 am Hard fought battle. CNU has so many weapons. Felt the difference was possessions. W&L rushes quite a few giving CNU those extra opportunities on top of the FOs they get.. Holding them to 1-7 UP was impressive,
LYN Saturday will be a good one.
Nice shout out VA to the alum’s who make up the rich W&L lax. history. Was ACE part of Emmer’s famous “Armadillo” in 82 ?
As slim mentioned already, Sam graduated in 1973. He will be addressing the team today with the Rob Lindsey talk. Generals played hard last night but just aren't there yet.

valaxfan

PS: Generals missing Number 5, Senior John Mills last night. His absence was felt on defense.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

CNU proved they are a top 3 team last night controlling the game from start to finish. W&L assisted CNU’s efforts w unnecessary penalties especially in the 2nd and third qtrs, offsides. They’ve been called on that now multiple times last several games. I thought W&L did a decent job on face offs, and surprisingly on turnovers. That said 7 penalties negated a relatively low turnover number. Considering they have 3 Soph’s and 3 freshmen in starting roles I’m looking at their effort last night as a learning experience. Not the time to doubt yourself, learn and move forward. A very tough Lynchburg team is coming to Lex and they know this is a must win in many ways being 5-3 without a significant win. This will be a very tough game. Have to say Pokorny is having a great season
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

ODAC blossomed when W&L went D3. Storied program and culture kept alive!
Dehunt.- #57 SSDM is excellent.
Had to chuckle watching Pozin when he guarded Schnoor being only 5’8”..
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:21 am ODAC blossomed when W&L went D3. Storied program and culture kept alive!
57 is outstanding, #32 is just as good maybe better. Both freshmen that have a big ceiling. I like 32’s lax IQ on the field, smart with the ball and not only plays sound D straight up but uses good judgment when sliding either just showing or when committing. Hoping next years freshman class is as good as the last two, kudos to the coaching staff bringing them in
Dwn2DaRvr2Pray

Post by Dwn2DaRvr2Pray »

Tough loss for the Generals last night. This team really is on the precipice of greatness. Freshmen have shown they have the ability to really play, Cohen and Beatty will be 4-year starters at SSDM. Never seen Beatty smile though. Another freshman, John Lane, just got back from injury. He's an XTREMEly good player with a D1 frame. Want to see him in the mix. Who really shined vs. CNU was Samuel Mannino. Even being from preppy, coddled Fair Haven, he's a tough downhill dodger who can sweep to his right and dish while also possessing the ability to duck under when his right is overplayed. Seems like when the ball is in his stick good things happen. Rarely turns the ball over too.

There is an ex-W&L player back on campus for a 6th year as well by the name of Owen Taylor. McCabe should get in touch with him about coming back to the game and being a leader on this team. I think he could be a great addition to the squad. I remember him having a cannon back in 2018 I believe. He had a sick bulldodge in practice one time too.

Go gennies go jesus
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:40 am
Nothinbutthelax wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:21 am ODAC blossomed when W&L went D3. Storied program and culture kept alive!
57 is outstanding, #32 is just as good maybe better. Both freshmen that have a big ceiling. I like 32’s lax IQ on the field, smart with the ball and not only plays sound D straight up but uses good judgment when sliding either just showing or when committing. Hoping next years freshman class is as good as the last two, kudos to the coaching staff bringing them in
...kudos to the two coaches in Granville, OH for recruiting the freshman and sophomore class currently at W&L...
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

MarionBarry wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:49 pm
...kudos to the two coaches in Granville, OH for recruiting the freshman and sophomore class currently at W&L...
They did nice job. Although the two short sticks were late adds that I believe Mendoza added. W&Ls 2023 class is also very good. Stacking three classes is always a critical stage for a program to turn a corner.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:08 am
MarionBarry wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:49 pm

They did nice job. Although the two short sticks were late adds that I believe Mendoza added. W&Ls 2023 class is also very good. Stacking three classes is always a critical stage for a program to turn a corner.
#32 beatty was being courted before mendoza arrived, #57 on the other could be mendoza's doing. Either way, you're right. Three strong classes in a row is a good sign
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dwn2DaRvr2Pray wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:34 pm Tough loss for the Generals last night. This team really is on the precipice of greatness. Freshmen have shown they have the ability to really play, Cohen and Beatty will be 4-year starters at SSDM. Never seen Beatty smile though. Another freshman, John Lane, just got back from injury. He's an XTREMEly good player with a D1 frame. Want to see him in the mix. Who really shined vs. CNU was Samuel Mannino. Even being from preppy, coddled Fair Haven, he's a tough downhill dodger who can sweep to his right and dish while also possessing the ability to duck under when his right is overplayed. Seems like when the ball is in his stick good things happen. Rarely turns the ball over too.

There is an ex-W&L player back on campus for a 6th year as well by the name of Owen Taylor. McCabe should get in touch with him about coming back to the game and being a leader on this team. I think he could be a great addition to the squad. I remember him having a cannon back in 2018 I believe. He had a sick bulldodge in practice one time too.

Go gennies go jesus
I totally agree on Sam Mannino. While sitting in Wilson Field watching the CNU game, talking to the Old Guard, when he got the ball on the Generals bench side, I told my friends, watch out, he's good, and sure enough, #38 goes down that left side, beats his man, and switches over for a righty shot and scores. But more importantly, he's quick and fast, you can't coach that. Like him alot.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Generals are flat working hard to make it another 8-4 half time score like so many of their starts. 3:41 to go first half
Dehuntshigwa’es

Generals are flat working hard to make it another 8-4 half time score like so many of their starts. 3:41 to go first half. Lynchburg looks like the 6th ranked team. Generals play a strong second half leading by a goal with 30 seconds failed clear Lynchburg sends it into OT which never should have occurred. Goal play is an issue
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Exciting game, brutal end. Goalie play is clearly a huge issue. And how bad are the other goalies that they don’t get a shot. Under 40% again and the goalie fails both clears that each ended in goals.

On the bright side, W&L is better than Lynchburg in every facet but the goal. Unlikely either of these two team lose to anyone but each other in league.
Dehuntshigwa’es

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:29 pm Exciting game, brutal end. Goalie play is clearly a huge issue. And how bad are the other goalies that they don’t get a shot. Under 40% again and the goalie fails both clears that each ended in goals.

On the bright side, W&L is better than Lynchburg in every facet but the goal. Unlikely either of these two team lose to anyone but each other in league.
Looks like they are all in on the freshman, it’s sink or swim. Thought they might make a switch at half. I think the Generals play in the first half was not that of a top 10 team. Game situation awareness is lacking with some as well. Assuming they play in May they need to shore up the cage or it will be brief
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:29 pm Exciting game, brutal end. Goalie play is clearly a huge issue. And how bad are the other goalies that they don’t get a shot. Under 40% again and the goalie fails both clears that each ended in goals.

Very proud of the comeback but it should have never got to that point, if we are a top team. Why we continue to start slow and end fast I have no clue. We have the players. Coach M. again makes the adjustments, just a tad late in OT. Good luck to the Gennies rest of the way and work towards the ODAC tourney, likely to be in the city of 7 hills.

valaxfan
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

valaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:04 pm

Very proud of the comeback but it should have never got to that point, if we are a top team. Why we continue to start slow and end fast I have no clue. We have the players. Coach M. again makes the adjustments, just a tad late in OT. Good luck to the Gennies rest of the way and work towards the ODAC tourney, likely to be in the city of 7 hills.

valaxfan
Agree. But if you look at all of their games against top teams. Then look at save percentage in the first half there’s a trend.
I feel bad for their DC, he’s had to make significant adjustments every game based entirely off of goaltending.

York - Losing 8-4 (27% 1st half)
Denison - Losing 8-4 (0% 1st half)
Gettysburg - Losing 8-4 (42% first half)
CNU - Losing 10-6 (33% first half)
Lynchburg - Losing 9-4 (35% first half)

A lot of people here complain about their shot selection in unsettled especially early in games but it’s very obvious it’s been the best thing they do all year. They are trying to forge an identity of playing faster and it’s what has made many of these games close in the second half. Pretty sure they had 5 defensive midfield goals today. And 7 of 13 in transition, they exhaust teams in the middle of the field.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”