Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ivyman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:27 am :lol: :lol: :lol: Farfromgeneva vs Dmac is a heavyweight fight. I'd buy tickets to that.
I need to get back in shape, bloated to north of 210 this winter!

But we respect the creators game so we will pick the other up and shake their hands if they survive the fight.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
random observer

Post by random observer »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:42 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:22 pm Spillina had a bunch of points the other night, a few layups but OK... expected.

What's praiseworthy are the CTs (at least 2) when he was riding... Let's see more of that against a UVa and/or ND.
Spallina has 23 goals and 17 assists in 9 games.

Is it reasonable to say he has lived up to his billing?

DocBarrister
I'd say so. Spallina was the ultimate high floor recruit and he's delivered on that end. On track for 70+ points with probably around 40% shooting percentage and less than 1.5 TO/g. Jury is still out on if he has the athleticism to develop into a true first team AA/Tewaarton candidate. But as a freshman he's already established himself as an efficient and productive player who can play the qb or the finisher.

And for all the warranted questions about his ability to routinely beat top poles, he has beaten guys like Makar and Brower one-on-one for goals off the dodge; it's just that he does it with creative finishing whilst absorbing contact rather than just cleanly beating them, so it doesn't really feel like he "won" the dodge. The ability to find scoring opportunities even when well defended has been a staple of his game for a long time, and it's why his production as always exceeded his flare.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:11 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:42 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:22 pm Spillina had a bunch of points the other night, a few layups but OK... expected.

What's praiseworthy are the CTs (at least 2) when he was riding... Let's see more of that against a UVa and/or ND.
Spallina has 23 goals and 17 assists in 9 games.

Is it reasonable to say he has lived up to his billing?

DocBarrister
I'd say so, even after the Vermont opener he's still shooting over 40% and has done a good job of not forcing things. He needs to try and improve his foot speed and continue to work on being able to counter physical close defenders as he has had some struggles with guys like Makar and Brower. That said as a true frosh with all the hype he's been very good/excellent and the last few games he has amped up the riding. Clearly some stuff to work on but I think he's definitely lived up to the billing.
He has lived up to billing . . Leading scorer on team . Even after extracting the six softer opponents that can inflate stats he shows fairly well despite the reservations expressed here about his athletic limitations .
In the 4 games vs better comp that Cuse has faced and loss to - Duke, UNC, JHU, Maryland, Spallina has registered 6 goals, 8 assists , 14 pts . That avg of 3.5 ppg may not be spectacular but it isn't shoddy for a frosh who gets #1 pole . In those four games his sog were 78% (18/23).

His ride is also good as evidenced by his 5 caused turnovers and for a youngster playing x his turnovers are modest at 12 in ten games .

Will he ever be the best attack man in game ? Doubt it but he can be one of the better ones .

Imo Hiltz is the most talented player on team but Spallina has not disappointed and will only get better with more experience, physical maturity and adjustment to d1 defenses

Post by 1766 »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:13 am
lorin wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:33 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:31 am
DMac wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:16 am You need to take that to the Fantasy Lacrosse thread or the Loyola thread, but then again your mission is troll so here you are.
Allow me to interject with better trolling.

Would you please ensure the Kraus Simmons is buff shined so it looks good in our spot for when we take it home late Sat?
You know the answer

The one constant among my Hobart friends is the same one with Hopkins fans: ‘maybe we should be in D3, at least we’d win some hardware’. 😂😂😂
Roasted
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 am
Ivyman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:27 am :lol: :lol: :lol: Farfromgeneva vs Dmac is a heavyweight fight. I'd buy tickets to that.
Wrestling ?
You’re heavyweight playing shape already.
Just need some moves, watch the Spencer Lee replay this year’s
NCAAs - dude did a spin out, take down, reversal, pin in about
5 seconds for the upset over Lee.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 am
Wrestling ?
You’re heavyweight playing shape already.
Just need some moves, watch the Spencer Lee replay this year’s
NCAAs - dude did a spin out, take down, reversal, pin in about
5 seconds for the upset over Lee.
Took my son to a bootleg wrestling event, real The Wrestler stuff, inside the last month and at a halfway point break they let kids play in the ring (must be a “self insured” program). So I got in with my boy and messed around, put him in a soft figure four leg lock, let him jump off the top rope into me etc. even that I can see a 15-45 min match of “fake wrestling” being a solid exercise let along Greco Roman which I tried one year in HS after deciding JV BB was my limit but didn’t like the constant stuff to make weight-it’s wildly unhealthy long term.

Played football ages ago at Bart as an ILB at 215-225 and that was a good weight to fill gaps but also play spread offenses at 6ft but now prefer to be running 190-200 generally in my 40s and probably need to cut that as I only get older.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:16 am You need to take that to the Fantasy Lacrosse thread or the Loyola thread, but then again your mission is troll so here you are.

Would you please ensure the Kraus Simmons is buff shined so it looks good in our spot for when we take it home late Sat?
aka ffg, expecting Cuse to enjoy a romp along the lines of18-10 after watching Bart games especially if fogo Shea is out.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

stupefied wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:38 pm

aka ffg, expecting Cuse to enjoy a romp along the lines of18-10 after watching Bart games especially if fogo Shea is out.
I concede nothing. Positive thinking and a supply of anti depressants is all I need.
DMac

Post by DMac »

stupefied wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:12 am Imo Hiltz is the most talented player on team but Spallina has not disappointed and will only get better with more experience, physical maturity and adjustment to d1 defenses
I don't think it took long for Spallina to recognize that Hiltz is the man he needed to buddy up with.
These two work pretty nicely together, Hiltz is going to see you and put a pass right in your stick and
Joey knows that (not the only who's figured that out). Hiltz makes Spallina a better player on a couple
of different levels.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

SU lost to the top teams, the teams ranked in the Top 11. SU beat the middle-tier teams, the teams ranked in 40s and lower. The question is where does SU fall between 12 and 39. Obviously they could beat ND, Duke and UVA but there games against these teams will tell a lot:
#36 Hobart 03/25/2023
#33 Princeton 04/08/2023
#14 North Carolina 04/15/2023
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Orange fans:

Were you happy with your team's performance against Hobart?
DocBarrister

So … I have to ask …

Post by DocBarrister »

… Joey Spallina had 40 points coming into today’s game against Hobart. Just saw a behind-the-back goal that gave him 4 goals and 2 assists today. He is on pace to possibly match Mike Powell’s 70 points freshman year.

So, I have to ask … is Joey Spallina having the best freshman season of any Orange player since Mike Powell?

More to the point … is Joey Spallina the best Orange freshman since Mike Powell?

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
tech37

Post by tech37 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:04 pm Orange fans:

Ha ha! Cuse remains a middle-of-pack team. ND will probably reveal this next week. I hope not of course but there are too many holes still: FOs, riding, clearing, GBs, 6 v 6 D. It's another level IMO they won't reach this year.

SU coaches... more Cohen please!
Last edited by tech37 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

tech37 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:20 pm

Ha ha! Cuse remains a middle-of-pack team. ND will probably reveal this next week. I hope not of course but there are too many holes still: riding, clearing, GBs, 6 v 6 D. It's another level IMO they won't reach this year.

Nobody has made Syracuse look as pathetic as the Irish have the past couple of years. As you said, Orange are just not at that level right now. I like Will Mark a lot but SSDM and face offs are still too much of a weakness when it comes to competing in the ACC consistently.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Pensky Material wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:35 pm
tech37 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:20 pm

Ha ha! Cuse remains a middle-of-pack team. ND will probably reveal this next week. I hope not of course but there are too many holes still: riding, clearing, GBs, 6 v 6 D. It's another level IMO they won't reach this year.

Nobody has made Syracuse look as pathetic as the Irish have the past couple of years. As you said, Orange are just not at that level right now. I like Will Mark a lot but SSDM and face offs are still too much of a weakness when it comes to competing in the ACC consistently.
Mark is awesome. I do like ssdm Aviles and lsd Olexo is special too.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Impressive shooting and defensive clinic by you guys today.
Powellfan22

Re: So … I have to ask …

Post by Powellfan22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:06 pm … Joey Spallina had 40 points coming into today’s game against Hobart. Just saw a behind-the-back goal that gave him 4 goals and 2 assists today. He is on pace to possibly match Mike Powell’s 70 points freshman year.

So, I have to ask … is Joey Spallina having the best freshman season of any Orange player since Mike Powell?

More to the point … is Joey Spallina the best Orange freshman since Mike Powell?

John Galloway led SU to a national title as a freshman starting goaltender. Hard to compare attackmen vs goalies but difficult to argue against that when you are talking about “best”.

In terms of offensive production, no doubt. The competition isn’t very stiff though. I think Mike Leveille had the most productive freshman campaign since Powell, with 41 points. Players who turnned out to be very good later in their careers had pretty quiet freshman campaigns (Nima, Hardy, Marasco, Rice, Donahue).

Been impressed that Spallina hasn’t pressed much (since Vermont game) and seems to let the game come to him. He’s been a lot of fun to watch. Imagine how many more points he would have if Syracuse had a somewhat decent faceoff group?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I mean they couldn’t have shot better than they did until the Q4 hot dogging. First 2.5-3 quarters shooting was absurd. What everyone sees when they look at this roster. First two goals were perfect.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:06 pm … Joey Spallina had 40 points coming into today’s game against Hobart. Just saw a behind-the-back goal that gave him 4 goals and 2 assists today. He is on pace to possibly match Mike Powell’s 70 points freshman year.

if joel white or john galloway were on here, they might ask to have your posting priviledges be taken away.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Will leave that for others to decide, safe to say he's a pretty darn good player though.
Not the hog as was predicted by many, steady player, dishes the ball, has a nice variety of shots,
pretty accurate shooter.
Speaking of dishing, see Dordevic had six goals today on 13 shots...oh, no assists. Probably nobody
open on those 13 shots.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”