Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Live Game Action

Post by DMac »

Charolette did one of the mlax games with Carc and someone else a little while back, my first taste of her as a commentator and I thought she did an outstanding job on that game too. Wasn't surprised by how she handled last night's game, she's pretty darn good.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:21 am Charolette did one of the mlax games with Carc and someone else a little while back, my first taste of her as a commentator and I thought she did an outstanding job on that game too. Wasn't surprised by how she handled last night's game, she's pretty darn good.
And she just sounds like a person who just loves the game and pinches herself to be commentating on games. Self-effacing is always an attractive quality (in a world of brutal self-promoters and "influencers").
LuvLax

Post by LuvLax »

Northwestern - Johns Hopkins Game Feed - Free

https://www.centennialconference.tv/hopkinssports/
njbill

Post by njbill »

Just watched the game today. First time I had heard North in the announcing booth. Thought she did a good job. Lots of insightful commentary. Little to no fluff. One of the questions I had when I heard she was going to be doing announcing was whether she would be critical where necessary since so many former players who go straight to the announcing booth seem to have trouble with that. I thought North was very good in that regard. She was critical when necessary, but not overly so. The only criticism is that she dropped a few tosses. Easy fix though.

I thought Boyle was just fine. I don’t understand the criticism of her. Now, Jay? For my money he can be sent to Stugotz-land, although he isn’t quite that bad. I thought the broadcast would’ve been much better with just Boyle and North. The truth is you don’t really need a play-by-play announcer for a game on TV. That’s what the viewers have eyes for.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:35 pm Just watched the game today. First time I had heard North in the announcing booth. Thought she did a good job. Lots of insightful commentary. Little to no fluff. One of the questions I had when I heard she was going to be doing announcing was whether she would be critical where necessary since so many former players who go straight to the announcing booth seem to have trouble with that. I thought North was very good in that regard. She was critical when necessary, but not overly so. The only criticism is that she dropped a few tosses. Easy fix though.

I thought Boyle was just fine. I don’t understand the criticism of her. Now, Jay? For my money he can be sent to Stugotz-land, although he isn’t quite that bad. I thought the broadcast would’ve been much better with just Boyle and North. The truth is you don’t really need a play-by-play announcer for a game on TV. That’s what the viewers have eyes for.
What's wrong with Jay doing the paly by play? I think he is enthusiastic and pretty good compared to what we get on all the other broadcasts.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Enthusiastic is being kind. Way way way over the top enthusiastic is more accurate. I still remember him describing North in the middle of one of the final four games last year as the greatest player playing today and then a little bit later in the game saying she was the greatest player ever.

What does he add? My answer is very little. He subtracts more than he adds. Just my personal taste. I liked Howard Cosell. A lot of people didn’t. I do not like Joe Buck. A lot of people like him. If you like Jay, that’s fine.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:11 pm Enthusiastic is being kind. Way way way over the top enthusiastic is more accurate. I still remember him describing North in the middle of one of the final four games last year as the greatest player playing today and then a little bit later in the game saying she was the greatest player ever.

What does he add? My answer is very little. He subtracts more than he adds. Just my personal taste. I liked Howard Cosell. A lot of people didn’t. I do not like Joe Buck. A lot of people like him. If you like Jay, that’s fine.
Yes, he is crazy mad with the hyperbole and it seems to just get worse with time.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:35 pm Just watched the game today. First time I had heard North in the announcing booth. Thought she did a good job. Lots of insightful commentary. Little to no fluff. One of the questions I had when I heard she was going to be doing announcing was whether she would be critical where necessary since so many former players who go straight to the announcing booth seem to have trouble with that. I thought North was very good in that regard. She was critical when necessary, but not overly so. The only criticism is that she dropped a few tosses. Easy fix though.

I liked Charlotte last night, and generally like Dana (New Hampshire kid). Jay is a little too loud for my taste, and a little too hyperbolic (the Carcaterra narrative..."the best in all of college lacrosse!"). His play by play is fine. His shouting at every goal wakes the neighbors and makes dogs howl.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Northwestern put a spanking on Hopkins earlier today 19-5. Does not look like NW will have much competition in the Big Ten except for Maryland whom they are better than.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:55 am
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:21 am Charolette did one of the mlax games with Carc and someone else a little while back, my first taste of her as a commentator and I thought she did an outstanding job on that game too. Wasn't surprised by how she handled last night's game, she's pretty darn good.
And she just sounds like a person who just loves the game and pinches herself to be commentating on games. Self-effacing is always an attractive quality (in a world of brutal self-promoters and "influencers").
Agree with the above. She will get stronger and smoother over time. Announcing is much harder than it looks. Anyone who has ever listened to their own voice for more than a minute or read a transcript of their own spoken words has probably visibly cringed. She will get better over time. Sheehan is probably still my favorite for color commentary -- her knowledge may not be as current as CN's, but she comes off as polished and prepared. My one constructive criticism for CN relates to the couple of times she went Tony Romo and tried to predict an upcoming play or strategy. E.g. Syracuse will hold for last shot here. Romo was absolutely psychic on those calls when he first started in the booth.

Of course, my comments will be totally discounted by the following opinion: I really enjoy both Carc and Jay. Big energy and strong show prep. I even like the Carc/Quint/Anish pizza talk.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:55 am
Yes I agree completely, this is what came through from her broadcast to me, too.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Michigan leading Rutgers 8-1 at the half.

You know, I really thought Rutgers would be better this year.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ultravisitor wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:56 pm Michigan leading Rutgers 8-1 at the half.

14-4, final. Four.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:26 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:56 pm Michigan leading Rutgers 8-1 at the half.

14-4, final. Four.
I didn't watch the game. I'm wondering if there's been something wrong with Cassidy Spilis lately--her stats seem to not be so hot--or if she's just getting a lot of attention from defenses.
Bart

Post by Bart »

ultravisitor wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:42 pm

14-4, final. Four.
I didn't watch the game. I'm wondering if there's been something wrong with Cassidy Spilis lately--her stats seem to not be so hot--or if she's just getting a lot of attention from defenses.
UM was just better last night. Was a physical game. If my memory serves me right I believe Spills got dinged up on a draw and limped off. That was in the second. She returned but along with the rest of the offense was neutralized by the UM defense
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:50 am

14-4, final. Four.
UM was just better last night. Was a physical game. If my memory serves me right I believe Spills got dinged up on a draw and limped off. That was in the second. She returned but along with the rest of the offense was neutralized by the UM defense
Early scores:
UVA v ND 6-4 UVA 7:39 2nd
Cuse killing Louisville 8-1
BC and VT VT LEADING 5-4 ABOUT 8 MIN LEFT 2ND quarter sorry about caps lol
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

What an early slate!

Virginia is absolutely demolishing ND. Draws and dumb mistakes are killing ND right now. Already chased the ND starting goalie. The more and more I look at that Richmond game midweek, the more confusing that result is.

I don’t know if BC is the same BC of old. Get blown out by UNC, Clemson had it 12-10 with them heading into the 4th quarter last week. Is there a more jekyl and Hyde team than VT? Lose to Mercer, play UNC to a 10-6 game. Lose to Notre Dame 14-1, leading BC 7-6. Can’t make any sense of them.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

PhanLax99 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:01 pm What an early slate!

Virginia is absolutely demolishing ND. Draws and dumb mistakes are killing ND right now. Already chased the ND starting goalie. The more and more I look at that Richmond game midweek, the more confusing that result is.

I don’t know if BC is the same BC of old. Get blown out by UNC, Clemson had it 12-10 with them heading into the 4th quarter last week. Is there a more jekyl and Hyde team than VT? Lose to Mercer, play UNC to a 10-6 game. Lose to Notre Dame 14-1, leading BC 7-6. Can’t make any sense of them.
Which is why JMU wins it this year
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:38 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:01 pm What an early slate!

Which is why JMU wins it this year
Guess Hall is out at goalie for BC
Rookie goalies battling in this game
NU wins it this year .
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:46 pm
Bart wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:50 am

14-4, final. Four.
Early scores:
UVA v ND 6-4 UVA 7:39 2nd
Cuse killing Louisville 8-1
BC and VT VT LEADING 5-4 ABOUT 8 MIN LEFT 2ND quarter sorry about caps lol
Did carney play for Cuse today? Didn’t see her name in box score

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”