Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 51percentcorn »

I still don't understand why we can't have the cannon back. Maybe you can't try to time it like they used to - resulting in booms for mom goals but seems like we are way past noisemakers - If the actual cannon is deemed too dangerous - either move it to the back field like some college football teams do OR as I believe Wombat suggested once which I thought was brilliant - do a video board cannon.

'06 Wells and Dori Stanwick and some of their children used to stand on the opposite side along the fence when Wells and Shack played - they were never highlighted on TV - you could just see them because they were opposite the cameras. You didn't even know who he was until I told you many years ago. I don't know why any pictures of the 20-30 people - on the CC patio would do the program any great shakes. The program has put out videos of the inside of the CC - its old news.

More important - at 7 PM in Ann Arbor the forecast is 39 degrees with a "Real Feel" of 23. Winds 22 mph - gusts to 44. I can't fathom why anybody thought 7 PM in Michigan in March was a great idea. You are directly opposite the East Regional Final for most of the game and even if the weather was average it would still be cold. These winds are going to make it close to unwatchable in person and its not going to be pretty on TV. Both teams have to play in it - but it is unfortunate.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:55 am I still don't understand why we can't have the cannon back. Maybe you can't try to time it like they used to - resulting in booms for mom goals but seems like we are way past noisemakers - If the actual cannon is deemed too dangerous - either move it to the back field like some college football teams do OR as I believe Wombat suggested once which I thought was brilliant - do a video board cannon.

'06 Wells and Dori Stanwick and some of their children used to stand on the opposite side along the fence when Wells and Shack played - they were never highlighted on TV - you could just see them because they were opposite the cameras. You didn't even know who he was until I told you many years ago. I don't know why any pictures of the 20-30 people - on the CC patio would do the program any great shakes. The program has put out videos of the inside of the CC - its old news.

More important - at 7 PM in Ann Arbor the forecast is 39 degrees with a "Real Feel" of 23. Winds 22 mph - gusts to 44. I can't fathom why anybody thought 7 PM in Michigan in March was a great idea. You are directly opposite the East Regional Final for most of the game and even if the weather was average it would still be cold. These winds are going to make it close to unwatchable in person and its not going to be pretty on TV. Both teams have to play in it - but it is unfortunate.

The cannon was fired as the opposing team was running past in front of it as Hopkins was coming back on after half time.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I always thought the biggest problems with the cannon were a) neighborhood complaints b) misfires when goals were not scored and opposing teams would complain about their players stopping leading to rebounds etc. Either a video scoreboard or moving the cannon to the backfield would solve B and the further you moved the cannon into campus the less of a noise issue - except from the Throats on D level
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:55 am I still don't understand why we can't have the cannon back. Maybe you can't try to time it like they used to - resulting in booms for mom goals but seems like we are way past noisemakers - If the actual cannon is deemed too dangerous - either move it to the back field like some college football teams do OR as I believe Wombat suggested once which I thought was brilliant - do a video board cannon.

-The conference moves to new tv partnerships at the end of the school year and so I'm sure a variety of things are being rethought. Our ESPN situation is separate from that.
-In this political environment people would probably lose their minds if the cannon came back. They certainly have the space in that corner of campus and knowhow with ROTC right there.
-I'm not smart enough to know who a bad weather game favors or who PM might trust more in that weather on the offensive end. On paper Michigan looks like a bigger team than some of the groups we've faced this year.
-Conry is 4-21 in the big ten, John Paul was 2-21 in the ecac and big ten before they made a change. This is perhaps a critical stretch for that program as it is for ours and I doubt we'll see them start slow like Delaware did. Especially on military day at home.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51, resurrecting the cannon discussion yourself — you're just cheating on your FanLax bingo card now.

A digital cannon on the video board seems like it'd be a reasonable way to carry on the tradition without pissing anyone off too much, the AD might go for that. But I don't know if there's a constituency that cares enough to lobby for it.

One thing we cannot lose are the banana boys. Hopefully they're training the next generation of throwers for when those shoulders go.

Once the Big Ten starts its new media rights deal, I'm pretty sure "Johns Hopkins lacrosse" will be the only remaining B1G sport on ESPN. I know there's some consternation that our partnership with them will go bye-bye but from everything I've heard, that won't be the case.

Excited for the BTN night games, weather notwithstanding. Those are always quality broadcasts. Joe Beninati is the best play-by-play guy in the sport IMO.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 pm 51, resurrecting the cannon discussion yourself — you're just cheating on your FanLax bingo card now.

A digital cannon on the video board seems like it'd be a reasonable way to carry on the tradition without pissing anyone off too much, the AD might go for that. But I don't know if there's a constituency that cares enough to lobby for it.

One thing we cannot lose are the banana boys. Hopefully they're training the next generation of throwers for when those shoulders go.

Once the Big Ten starts its new media rights deal, I'm pretty sure "Johns Hopkins lacrosse" will be the only remaining B1G sport on ESPN. I know there's some consternation that our partnership with them will go bye-bye but from everything I've heard, that won't be the case.

Excited for the BTN night games, weather notwithstanding. Those are always quality broadcasts. Joe Beninati is the best play-by-play guy in the sport IMO.
We're the leading research institution in the world. I'm sure there are activists and others who can point to far more harmful things that are happening at the university or because of it than a cannon. In my (brief compared to many of yours) time tied to Hopkins there have been commissions set up to try to create traditions on campus. They created a term-the nest for the student section at one point, etc.

The lacrosse big js have complained almost weekly this year about how cold and uncomfortable the press box is at Homewood which means we'll now probably hear about that for the next few decades. Or Baker is probably enjoying the whining after all the shots Quint and a few other media folks like Preston have leveled at her over the years.

IL has Collison at 5 in their impact freshman rankings and Carson Brown also listed. 51 and HF16 follow recruiting more than I do but I don't remember reading much about Brown coming into the season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:03 pm IL has Collison at 5 in their impact freshman rankings and Carson Brown also listed. 51 and HF16 follow recruiting more than I do but I don't remember reading much about Brown coming into the season.
He was a 4-star recruit but wasn't ranked in the top 100. Had the tools in HS at Hun in NJ but really improved in his PG year at Deerfield where he played alongside Didden. Brown's length and versatility are going to keep him in the lineup throughout his career. You can do a lot with a rangy, athletic lefty pole. Good find by the staff.

Had English been healthy to start the season he might have made this list too. Kid could be big for us down the stretch.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sun has a story on the new womens coach. If you don't have a subscription you can click the audio at the top and listen to it.
WandL99

Post by WandL99 »

Angelus is the most underrated attackman in all of college lacrosse. Don’t @ me
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Predictions for tonight in Ann Arbor?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:56 pm Predictions for tonight in Ann Arbor?
Mich in OT
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Cold, wet and windy!
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:56 pm Predictions for tonight in Ann Arbor?
So the line is Hop -1.5, with the O/U at 23.5. I don't have a great feeling about this game. Michigan is a quality team with some really good offensive talent. Their goalie situation seems to have been not great, while they face off pretty well.

On defense, Hop has a couple of poles who can be very effective 1-on-1 (thinking Smith, Mazzone, Szuluk and maybe even Deans). And I think JK knows what he's doing game plan wise. So I tend do tend the think that they can do a good job on Michigan's big 3 and make Michigan beat them with depth players. Not sure Michigan can do that consistently enough to get to double digits.

On offense, I think it will just be another game with a couple of our ever-rotating cast perform well. Not sure who (other than Angelus and Degnon), but we'll find a way to get to 12 or so goals.

Similarly, on FO, not sure which one of our three guys will be most successful, but I think as a group, they stay pretty much even with Rowlett & Co.' The quality of the wing play we've been getting recently will help a lot (kudos to Mazzone and Hawley).

I trust Marcille a whole lot more than Michigan's tandem, but who knows how that all plays out.

So despite my bad feelings, I have Hop winning 12-9, giving the points and taking the under.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:56 pm
So the line is Hop -1.5, with the O/U at 23.5. I don't have a great feeling about this game. Michigan is a quality team with some really good offensive talent. Their goalie situation seems to have been not great, while they face off pretty well.

On defense, Hop has a couple of poles who can be very effective 1-on-1 (thinking Smith, Mazzone, Szuluk and maybe even Deans). And I think JK knows what he's doing game plan wise. So I tend do tend the think that they can do a good job on Michigan's big 3 and make Michigan beat them with depth players. Not sure Michigan can do that consistently enough to get to double digits.

On offense, I think it will just be another game with a couple of our ever-rotating cast perform well. Not sure who (other than Angelus and Degnon), but we'll find a way to get to 12 or so goals.

Similarly, on FO, not sure which one of our three guys will be most successful, but I think as a group, they stay pretty much even with Rowlett & Co.' The quality of the wing play we've been getting recently will help a lot (kudos to Mazzone and Hawley).

I trust Marcille a whole lot more than Michigan's tandem, but who knows how that all plays out.

So despite my bad feelings, I have Hop winning 12-9, giving the points and taking the under.
We have more paths to a win, they have more paths to a loss.

Credit to all the parents, WAGS, fans, tuba players and staff that showed up to support the kids across the sport this weekend in person. Some of these cameras look like beach hurricanes with worse temps. Hope the hot cocoa and (legal) over 21 supplements (responsibly) were warm.

Hoyas and Jville got it done today. Delaware finished the first half against Hofstra strong.

Onto big ten play.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

All together, it has been a pretty good day for JHU's past opponents. And hey, Loyola and St. Joe's lost to good teams.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:43 pm All together, it has been a pretty good day for JHU's past opponents. And hey, Loyola and St. Joe's lost to good teams.
All else being equal I think we actually want Loyola to lose, as long as they stay in the top 20 RPI and don't end up being a "bad loss." Right now we're competing with them for an at-large spot, and they have the head-to-head victory. If they fall out of the at-large mix it probably helps us in the long run — again, so long as they don't fall so much that they become a bad loss for our resume.

We can avoid a lot of these discussions if we just take care of business in B1G play, starting tonight.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Michigan’s uniforms?
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Stop. Using. The. 10-man. Ride.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Boy do I hate going into the 10-man when the settled D was playing that well. That shot was Michigan's first of the game.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Killed every ounce of momentum. Stupid.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”