The Face Off

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: The Face Off

Post by wgdsr »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:31 am My biggest issue with faceoffs is the inconsistency of the infractions. Too many times, I have seen possession awarded before the ball was even placed. What the heck. How can you have an infraction before the whistle???
the ball is placed before the fogos even get there. can u think of examples on video (espn, etc.) where this happened? maybe an equipment violation is all i can think of. once asked to go down, they have to do it in a certain way and it's not rocket science. and the fogos know the rules. otherwise, it's a delay and an infraction. that's not on the officials. the only thing i'd change is if fogo has his stick leaning too much, to warn and reset as he's spotting that by eye.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I looked at the stats for 6 random teams, two in each Division. This is the % of face off violations in all of their games, it includes their team and their opponents violations. This is a total of 47 games. The average for these 6 teams and 47 games is 16.14% of all faceoffs end up with a violation.
U of Virginia = 13.6%
Ohio State = 16.8%
U of Tampa = 15.4%
Frostburg = 20.1%
Roanoke = 16.3%
Dickinson = 14.7%

Is 16% too many? I think it is. Figure out a different way so that the battle for possession is determined by the players every time. Sooner or later a big game will be severely affected by a faceoff violation call.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

JustOneTime wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:09 pm I looked at the stats for 6 random teams, two in each Division. This is the % of face off violations in all of their games, it includes their team and their opponents violations. This is a total of 47 games. The average for these 6 teams and 47 games is 16.14% of all faceoffs end up with a violation.
U of Virginia = 13.6%
Ohio State = 16.8%
U of Tampa = 15.4%
Frostburg = 20.1%
Roanoke = 16.3%
Dickinson = 14.7%

Is 16% too many? I think it is. Figure out a different way so that the battle for possession is determined by the players every time. Sooner or later a big game will be severely affected by a faceoff violation call.
wouldn't this include going early, holding, withholding, kicking stick, etc.? that's the players?

@ one out of every 6 faceoffs and all the one goal games, it'd seem like many big games would've already been seriously affected by a faceoff violation call, however you define that.

the new-ish sng seems to have gotten the ball out pretty quick. we're probably in the best spot we've been @ in years. some teams have better wing play than others. a focus on that can help teams that don't have a dominant fogo. as well as strategies for when their faceoff guy has the rock.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:53 pm
wouldn't this include going early, holding, withholding, kicking stick, etc.? that's the players?
Was thinking the same, those stats don't really tell the whole story.
molo

Post by molo »

In a nutshell, the advantage of the face-off is that you can get the ball back after scoring a goal. The disadvantage is that overspecialization renders players who only face off and who typically do not huddle with the rest of the team to have an outsized influence on the game.
Just when I think we need some kind of rule change that would require the face-off man to do more than face off and get off, I find myself cringing when the FOGO on the team I follow most closely stays on the field to play offense. Then it’s, “Thanks for getting the ball. Now run to the box so we can get an offensive middie out there!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

molo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:31 pm Just when I think we need some kind of rule change that would require the face-off man to do more than face off and get off, I find myself cringing when the FOGO on the team I follow most closely stays on the field to play offense. Then it’s, “Thanks for getting the ball. Now run to the box so we can get an offensive middie out there!”
Bring back the substitution horn. Navy #26 is a ssdm & FO wing who comes on for EMO. He has 3 goals in transition & 17 shots this season.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

old salt wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:37 pm
molo wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:31 pm Just when I think we need some kind of rule change that would require the face-off man to do more than face off and get off, I find myself cringing when the FOGO on the team I follow most closely stays on the field to play offense. Then it’s, “Thanks for getting the ball. Now run to the box so we can get an offensive middie out there!”
Bring back the substitution horn. Navy #26 is a ssdm & FO wing who comes on for EMO. He has 3 goals in transition & 17 shots this season.
Why do many, if not most, Navy posters refer to their players by #? I don't see this so much by other posters.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
old salt

Post by old salt »

JHU69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:02 pm
Why do many, if not most, Navy posters refer to their players by #? I don't see this so much by other posters.
Speaking for myself, that's how I remember them & you're most likely to see them.
Also, some have hard names to remember how to spell correctly.

#26 = https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... ters/23726
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Jackson Peters is hard to remember or spell :?
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

You mean Peter Jackson?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

JHU69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:02 pm
I do it to avoid dropping player names on the internet and b/c when watching a game while taking stats, you do not need to call out numbers, then put names to them….you can do that afterward. Especially for both teams, b/c we seldom know player names for the opponent.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:21 pm
JHU69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:02 pm Why do many, if not most, Navy posters refer to their players by #? I don't see this so much by other posters.
I do it to avoid dropping player names on the internet and b/c when watching a game while taking stats, you do not need to call out numbers, then put names to them….you can do that afterward. Especially for both teams, b/c we seldom know player names for the opponent.
It's old Hopkins weenies. They complain about everything & are happy calling out players by name.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:57 pm You mean Peter Jackson?
The Lord of the Rings Director??? ;)
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Navy #26 FOGO per Old Salt :lol:
old salt

Post by old salt »

JHU69 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:38 am Navy #26 FOGO per Old Salt :lol:
Read again. Not a FOGO. FO wing & ssdm with 3 goals & 17 shots. Also now on EMO.
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:40 am
JHU69 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:38 am Navy #26 FOGO per Old Salt :lol:
Read again. Not a FOGO. FO wing & ssdm with 3 goals & 17 shots. Also now on EMO.
For all the fan's of Navy's #26, he scored another goal in a end-to-end run transition today vs Holy Cross.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”