Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: Navy 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:58 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:08 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm JL hasn't exactly shown much as a head coach at HC. Ditto for Amplo at Navy...Where are all the "fire Sowell" posters?! ;) More importantly, how is Joe's sideline demeanor? :lol:
They probably have absolutely no regrets. Sowell clearly had "hit his ceiling" at Navy. It was time for a change at the top. Stuff like this happens.
Apparently a much higher ceiling than the current regime, though...
Maybe so. There are always risks and luck involved when making hires for anything. It was time for Sowell to go. They just may not have gotten the best possible guy.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:03 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm JL hasn't exactly shown much as a head coach at HC. Ditto for Amplo at Navy...Where are all the "fire Sowell" posters?! ;) More importantly, how is Joe's sideline demeanor? :lol:
They probably have absolutely no regrets. Sowell clearly had "hit his ceiling" at Navy. It was time for a change at the top. Stuff like this happens.
Maybe so. There are always risks and luck involved when making hires for anything. It was time for Sowell to go. They just may not have gotten the best possible guy.
I think you guys will be fine. You have an A+ OC and have been recruiting really well, especially for an academy. A little snake-bit this year. Patience is probably in order, as it's still a pretty young team. Understand the disappointment with the year (certainly worse than I expected), but unless you promote your OC, which other coaches out there would you even really want (and Tillman isn't coming)? There's a bit of a dearth of truly excellent head coaches these days - beyond Tillman, Tiffany and Shay, who else is truly excellent? Danowski? Corrigan? Toomey? Brecht?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

nyjay wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:40 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:03 pm
I think you guys will be fine. You have an A+ OC and have been recruiting really well, especially for an academy. A little snake-bit this year. Patience is probably in order, as it's still a pretty young team. Understand the disappointment with the year (certainly worse than I expected), but unless you promote your OC, which other coaches out there would you even really want (and Tillman isn't coming)? There's a bit of a dearth of truly excellent head coaches these days - beyond Tillman, Tiffany and Shay, who else is truly excellent? Danowski? Corrigan? Toomey? Brecht?
Thanks so much for your kind words! Navy definitely is lucky to have Phipps as the OC. Recruiting definitely has been going very well, and lots of the players aren't Amplo's just yet. And yes, there aren't many proven excellent coaches out there. And, the truth is, those that have proven to be very good, especially those at programs in lesser conferences, might just stay with their program for good. Or at least until a job at a program that gets top talent opens up.

By the way, I like the direction your Blue Jays appear to be headed in under Coach Milliman. It was just a matter of getting his system more in-place and having some of his own players in there. Looking forward to seeing what happens when what I just said is even more the case. Best of luck the Jays the rest of the way!
essorcalveritas

Post by essorcalveritas »

This Navy season has been tough in many ways. The W-L record is below everyone's expectations. The team has had to deal with way more injuries than one would expect. The team is also still very young, albeit talented beyond what the record shows (I know, you are what your record says you are).

My biggest concern is for the morale of the players who are on a 6 game L streak. Which player(s) will step up and motivate the squad, lead by example and refuse to quit on this season? After all, Leadership is what academies are best at instilling in their students. These players have to go through all this negativity, while navigating rigorous academic and military requirements. They get no breaks.

Which is why it is disheartening that so many posters are "happy" the team is not performing well so as to prove a point about prior coach vs current coach, what offense to run etc...These players deserve better. I cant conceive how anyone would root for this team to fail. I hope fans and alums rally behind the team going forward this season.

There is still a lot to play for: finishing with a winning record, making the PL tournament and beating Army. Play with pride and play to get better for next season.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I guess you haven't followed the Navy thread too closely...best/worst fan base in lacrosse ;)
hens62

Post by hens62 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:37 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:26 pm
EasyRider wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:57 pm
ExLax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:47 pm
oldskoollax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:28 pm So this is year 4 under Amplo. Navy will have a losing season this year and may not make the Patriot League playoffs. So you make not changes and see what next year brings??
Agreed. Lots of contributing factors this year and allow his system to flourish through the next season(s).
This is Amplo's second full season at the helm, no?
Yes. '20 & '21 were COVID shortened, & it was miserable for the Mids trapped on the Yard, locked down in Bancroft Hall. YA can explain.

The webcast of the Villanova game was well done. The color commentator was very familiar with, & complimentary of, Coach Amplo, based on his time at Marquette & the Big East battles they had with Nova. He remarked that Amplo's defenses don't slide much, requiring the goalie to make a lot of stops. When Navy slipped into a zone in the 2nd half, he said he didn't recall ever before seeing an Amplo team play zone, fwiw.
They were also quite sympathetic to the impact of all the injuries on Navy's performance.
I love defenses that don’t slide (much) so long as they can play buttoned up man and pressure AJ. It is a staple of how Byrne orchestrated his D at ND and Wellner did it some here.
Byrne's entire defense is based on sliding, recovering and not worrying about match ups. This couldn't be more wrong
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

hens62 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:14 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:37 pm I love defenses that don’t slide (much) so long as they can play buttoned up man and pressure AJ. It is a staple of how Byrne orchestrated his D at ND and Wellner did it some here.
Byrne's entire defense is based on sliding, recovering and not worrying about match ups. This couldn't be more wrong
Disagree, which is why I made certain to say (much), when they did slide it was often for a double and very disciplined where it took place. Implying he wanted his guys to own their current matchup and know going in that it was going to a fight. Of course he taught and had standard slide packages, rather well, which is who I often modeled. queue up & watch the Albany/ND qtr final game, where Landis goes toe to toe with L.Thomspson. Slides where limited and often specific to locations on the field. The point I was attempting to make, and may have done rather poorly, is that no coach wants to have to slide/rotate becuase that is where the breakdowns begin to occur....it is the staple of offensive development, offense wants you to slide if they can't beat their man, then attack the two-slide and one more.

Thanks for actual lacrosse feedback, appreciate the reply.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Back to the immediate present and near-future. Any predictions for Holy Cross tomorrow? I watched them once. For the First Half, and a tad into the second, Holy Cross was competitive against Lehigh. I am definitely concerned.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If Navy loses to HC, as respectfully as I can be here, heads pro bc ably should roll.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 pm If Navy loses to HC, as respectfully as I can be here, heads pro bc ably should roll.
With the way Navy has looked, I wouldn't be shocked if it happens.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:30 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 pm If Navy loses to HC, as respectfully as I can be here, heads pro bc ably should roll.
You wouldn't? Holy Cross has won 1 of its last 22 games dating back to last year, and that was a 1-goal victory of UMass Lowell. Even an injured and demoralized Navy team will handle them without breaking much of a sweat. The Mids are 5.5-goal favorites on the road.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

We've lost to the them in 19' and Lafayette in 17'. We pride ourselves with helping others. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:34 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:30 pm
You wouldn't? Holy Cross has won 1 of its last 22 games dating back to last year, and that was a 1-goal victory of UMass Lowell. Even an injured and demoralized Navy team will handle them without breaking much of a sweat. The Mids are 5.5-goal favorites on the road.
I sure hope Navy doesn't go in thinking this will definitely happen. Colgate absolutely crushed them. And Colgate hasn't appeared to be anything special.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Lax talk for the first 12 min of this wk's Sing 2nd podcast. If it bleeds it leads.
New FB HC talks about the Arline drama @24:00

https://soundcloud.com/singsecondsports ... pring-ball
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:35 pm
We've lost to the them in 19' and Lafayette in 17'. We pride ourselves with helping others. :lol:
That’s coast guards job
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Navy wins, 13-8. It wasn't pretty. But, regarding Navy's hopes of making the six-team conference playoffs, this was pretty much a must win. Let's see if they can build off this win.
old salt

Post by old salt »

A bright spot in the injury induced lineup changes is the breakout of former attackman #6 Jon Jarosz as a full-fledged midfielder.
Today was his second straight 3 goal game. With his size, he dominates shorties when up top or running the alley.
Scored with both hands today. Split dodge & spin dodge from up top. Nifty low angle running corner snipe from GLE.
He gets back well when forced to play defense - today it looked lIke he was beaten by his man but he made a trail check to disrupt the shot.
Coach Amplo was right. Patience & confidence rewarded. The more playing time he gets, the more he shines.
essorcalveritas

Mids got a much needed win - especially that it was on the road and in bad conditions. I would have preferred a wider margin of victory. Given all the injuries, illnesses, and low morale, I'll take the W.
Now they need to get back and regroup for BU/Loyola. They will have to play much better than today to have a chance against those two teams. At least they gave themselves a chance to stay in the PLT hunt. Hope they can return some injured kids soon.
essorcalveritas

What does everyone predict the record will be in the last 5 games of this regular season (Realistically) ?

Also, if the Mids drop their next two games (very plausible) and are essentially out of contention for a PLT spot, should they start playing the younger kids to see what they have for next season?
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

essorcalveritas wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:36 pm What does everyone predict the record will be in the last 5 games of this regular season (Realistically) ?

Also, if the Mids drop their next two games (very plausible) and are essentially out of contention for a PLT spot, should they start playing the younger kids to see what they have for next season?
Probably 1-4. Win against Lafayette. Losses to BU, Loyola and Army. Bucknell will be interesting.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”