CNU 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxguy703

Re: CNU 2023

Post by Laxguy703 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:02 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:42 am 1 down and 2 to go. CNU will tear thru the rest of the ODAC taking on HSC this weekend then Lynchburg the following. I’ve seen this coming the last 5! Years. CNU has the chance to be the Salisbury of the south. Nice school , nice location and nice price, that now comes with what I think will be a perennial top 10 program. Interested in hearing where my assumptions might be wrong. CNU if I’m not mistaken has state funding support for in state tuition if I’m not mistaken. Sounds familiar doesn’t it. They have a very good coach. The game of lacrosse has expanded exponentially the last ten years in Virginia. Virginia has an outstanding D1 program which kids watch an aspire too. CNU has a marginal advantage at the line of scrimmage at this point vs HSC, Roanoke and Lynchburg in cost, perhaps location and now ranking. I suspect those programs will be tested in pursuing recruits by CNU as the academic profile is not too dissimilar. W&L gets a pass here in that it’s a totally different student athlete. 27 of about 54 are Students from Virginia and may have been higher last year. Virginia high school lax will continue to produce even more quality players the next few years feeding into CNU as a result of them maybe becoming the school of choice by a large segment of talented high school players within the state. Curious as to fans thoughts who know far more about the program than myself.
I love the optimism. But my predictions are that CNU has a strong year or two. Maybe competes for a title. Then the 5th year kids are gone and they are left with the latest recruits. Thompson goes D1 and CNU comes back to the rest of the pack

I don’t see a D3 dynasty happening anytime soon. Too much talent out there.
You could be far from wrong. If you’ve met the guy, you’d know Thompson ain’t going anywhere and their incoming classes are getting better and better. Yes the 5th years have helped them, but it isn’t the sole reason they are great. They had one only 5th year 2 years ago when they made it to the final four..
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:42 am 1 down and 2 to go. CNU will tear thru the rest of the ODAC taking on HSC this weekend then Lynchburg the following. I’ve seen this coming the last 5! Years. CNU has the chance to be the Salisbury of the south. Nice school , nice location and nice price, that now comes with what I think will be a perennial top 10 program. Interested in hearing where my assumptions might be wrong. CNU if I’m not mistaken has state funding support for in state tuition if I’m not mistaken. Sounds familiar doesn’t it. They have a very good coach. The game of lacrosse has expanded exponentially the last ten years in Virginia. Virginia has an outstanding D1 program which kids watch an aspire too. CNU has a marginal advantage at the line of scrimmage at this point vs HSC, Roanoke and Lynchburg in cost, perhaps location and now ranking. I suspect those programs will be tested in pursuing recruits by CNU as the academic profile is not too dissimilar. W&L gets a pass here in that it’s a totally different student athlete. 27 of about 54 are Students from Virginia and may have been higher last year. Virginia high school lax will continue to produce even more quality players the next few years feeding into CNU as a result of them maybe becoming the school of choice by a large segment of talented high school players within the state. Curious as to fans thoughts who know far more about the program than myself.
I love the optimism. But my predictions are that CNU has a strong year or two. Maybe competes for a title. Then the 5th year kids are gone and they are left with the latest recruits. Thompson goes D1 and CNU comes back to the rest of the pack

You could be far from wrong. If you’ve met the guy, you’d know Thompson ain’t going anywhere and their incoming classes are getting better and better. Yes the 5th years have helped them, but it isn’t the sole reason they are great. They had one only 5th year 2 years ago when they made it to the final four..
If you’ve met the guy? He probably makes 85-95k at CNU at best. Let’s say an Ivy League, high end CAA or Big East program offers him $150k. I’m sure there some strong consideration there. What if Kirwan leaves UVA and Tiffany offers him a $150k assistant position at his alma mater. Not saying he’d for sure leave, but he‘ll probably strongly consider it.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm

I would not bet against the latest recruits. CNU class is strong for the HS '22 and '23 classes. Lots of top DMV area club players.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

Also, he is not even the primary breadwinner in the family. His wife is a physician and makes big bucks doing what she's doing.
Notgoodatlax

Post by Notgoodatlax »

Man I know way more about the coaches life than I expected from this morning :lol:
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

I have met the guy. He is driven. I wouldn’t expect him to stay still too long. Just curious, how many of the 22 and 23 recruits are seeing playing time?

Like I said, I love the optimism. But dynasties in d3 are a thing of the past. There is way Too much talent out there. And more and more top level kids are choosing to go D3 vs D1. This isn’t 2010 anymore. Not bashing CNU. Just saying dynastys are long gone
smoova

Post by smoova »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:20 pm Just curious, how many of the 22 and 23 recruits are seeing playing time?
Well, the '23s are seniors in high school ...
Notgoodatlax

Post by Notgoodatlax »

smoova wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:47 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:20 pm Just curious, how many of the 22 and 23 recruits are seeing playing time?
deep bench
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Notgoodatlax wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:15 pm
deep bench
The question was how will this team look in the future. It was stated they are not building a tradition. I think they are.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:36 pm
deep bench
The question was how will this team look in the future. It was stated they are not building a tradition. I think they are.
NCAA basketball championship too.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:36 pm
deep bench
Never said they were not building a tradition. I said dynastys in lacrosse are a thing of the past. CNU is a great program. But every year, there are a few more great programs. For 30 years,we had either Hobart or Salisbury in almost every championship. But since 2006, there has not been a three peat in d3
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Why are we talking about dynasties? CNU is a fantastic team, well deserving of a #1 ranking. But as a program they’ve never been to Championship weekend. They weren’t even in the final four last year. Now the word dynasty has been brought up. They haven’t actually accomplished anything of significance to warrant that sort of discussion. RIT is the only program in a position to use that word, and right now they have some work to do to make it a three peat.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

deep bench
Deep bench? Not really, their second midfield line was one of the most dramatic drop offs from the first midfield I’ve ever seen at that level. Don’t forget the that the last 3 years have been the same core group of players + the best transfer that D3 has seen in years. Their defense for example and ride has been altered entirely by the graduation of the LSM and Max Wayne last year. And it’s not as good. The excess of seniors and 5th years is helping. As for Cook, he’s probably been the most impactful transfer since Mike Abbott transferred from UVA to Cortland in the early 2000s, they get some good transfers but it’s unlikely they get another one of that level anytime soon.
LILaxGuy08

Post by LILaxGuy08 »

I have watched two games - it’s kind of crazy how little production CNU gets from their second midfield line. Then again, when you have three stud attackman, it gives them more opportunity to pressure with their two man game.

Very scary team but definitely concerned about their depth for NCAAs (Think Georgetown last year). Need to develop some threats in that second line to take the pressure off the Top 6.
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

CNU should be very well equipped to be a top 10 program for years to come. CNU has one of the best resourced athletic departments in D3. There's a reason why almost every team in almost every sport at CNU is nationally competitive year after year. MLax is just now catching up to what most sports at CNU have been doing for a while. On top of that, they have a lot of advantages when it comes to recruiting VA. In-state tuition, near the beach, and very few other public university options for VA kids wanting to play lacrosse. Until they win a national championship 'dynasty' is a silly word to use, but you'd be crazy to think the program is a flash in the pan.
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Also I know Cook and Auslander get most of the attention, but Brett Jackson might be the best pure shooter in D3. Having an absolute breakout year so far, and he's only a sophomore. Cabaniss is a only a sophomore too. They have some pieces in place for a while.
smoova

Post by smoova »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:46 am On top of that, they have a lot of advantages when it comes to recruiting VA. In-state tuition, near the beach, and very few other public university options for VA kids wanting to play lacrosse.
And a very high admission rate.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

smoova wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:46 am
aroundtheoutside wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:46 am On top of that, they have a lot of advantages when it comes to recruiting VA. In-state tuition, near the beach, and very few other public university options for VA kids wanting to play lacrosse.
And a very high admission rate.
Tuition for out of state is crazy high. If you want to win multiple championships, you need to get talent from multiple states.
Notgoodatlax

Post by Notgoodatlax »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:17 am
deep bench
Deep bench? Not really, their second midfield line was one of the most dramatic drop offs from the first midfield I’ve ever seen at that level. Don’t forget the that the last 3 years have been the same core group of players + the best transfer that D3 has seen in years. Their defense for example and ride has been altered entirely by the graduation of the LSM and Max Wayne last year. And it’s not as good. The excess of seniors and 5th years is helping. As for Cook, he’s probably been the most impactful transfer since Mike Abbott transferred from UVA to Cortland in the early 2000s, they get some good transfers but it’s unlikely they get another one of that level anytime soon.
This was tongue in cheek. The discussion was about play time the class of '23 recruits were getting. Given they are in high school they are pretty deep on the bench. (not seeing playing time for CNU)
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:46 am CNU should be very well equipped to be a top 10 program for years to come. CNU has one of the best resourced athletic departments in D3. There's a reason why almost every team in almost every sport at CNU is nationally competitive year after year. MLax is just now catching up to what most sports at CNU have been doing for a while. On top of that, they have a lot of advantages when it comes to recruiting VA. In-state tuition, near the beach, and very few other public university options for VA kids wanting to play lacrosse. Until they win a national championship 'dynasty' is a silly word to use, but you'd be crazy to think the program is a flash in the pan.
These comments are more in line with what I was suggesting. No one is repeating what Hobart or Salisbury has done going forward. There are too many good players and teams out there. I’m just suggesting that between the demographics of the game , location , cost of tuition and what’s become a very competitive program CNU will continue to feed at the margin of in state programs in what was the domain of Lynchburg Roanoke and HSC programs. CNU has arrived and will be a consistent thorn in the side of the ODAC

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”