Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Navy 2023

Post by rolldodge »

EasyRider wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:39 pm Fan disappointment is understandable, but there is no way Coach Amplo is on the hot seat. Bad season - no doubt. But Navy can point to injuries, they can point to progress in 2021 / 2022, wins over Army ... Amplo secured the fundraising for their massive new facility. And he knows very well the importance of fostering relationships with school administration.

Side note - there is zero chance he's throwing his assistants under the bus. Orsen has been with Joe off and on for 20 years. Phipps is extremely well-regarded. They are well-paid and not micromanaged. If Phipps or Orsen leave Navy, it'll be for a head job somewhere.

Having said all that, Go Army.
Phipps just left a successful Georgetown program that he helped build for a lateral move to Navy. The only reason for him to do this was because of location and compensation -- and you can bet Navy offered a generous package to get him there. He's not going anywhere.
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

ExLax wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:15 pm
So Amplo should go??
[/quote]

The seat is probably warm. IMHO coaches at this level deserve at least 5 years for their system and their recruits to make an effect. Coach A has a winning record against that team in NY. RS had 8 seasons and won't bring up his predecessor to keep the flame wars to a minimum.

Huge mistake from my viewpoint for the dance with #24 - either on the team or not, divided loyalties suck. I would rather have not even played him knowing where we are now.
[/quote]

So this is year 4 under Amplo. Navy will have a losing season this year and may not make the Patriot League playoffs. So you make not changes and see what next year brings??
ExLax

Post by ExLax »

oldskoollax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:28 pm So this is year 4 under Amplo. Navy will have a losing season this year and may not make the Patriot League playoffs. So you make not changes and see what next year brings??
Agreed. Lots of contributing factors this year and allow his system to flourish through the next season(s).
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

ExLax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:47 pm
oldskoollax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:28 pm So this is year 4 under Amplo. Navy will have a losing season this year and may not make the Patriot League playoffs. So you make not changes and see what next year brings??
Agreed. Lots of contributing factors this year and allow his system to flourish through the next season(s).
This is Amplo's second full season at the helm, no?
ExLax

Post by ExLax »

EasyRider wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:57 pm
Fourth - https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... -amplo/676
" Joe Amplo enters his fourth season as the head coach at Navy after being introduced as the program’s ninth head coach on June 5, 2019"
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:23 pm imo -- " the Crabwrapper" (fondly) still does a good job covering local politics & govt issues,
e.g., the debate about how to use the recent addition to Quiet Waters Park.
I'll continue to subscribe as long as Bill Wagner is there.
They also covered local govt covid deliberations well.
With the changes in their industry & the attack on their office, we're fortunate to still have them.
Update on subscription to the e-edition of the Annapolis Capital Gazette (aka The Evening Capital & "Crabwrapper).
I've enjoyed e-access for years, always under recurring special rates.
https://www.capitalgazette.com/subscrip ... evergreen/
I think I've been under the 6 mos for $4.99 rate. I consider it a bargain just to follow Bill Wagner's reporting on Navy sports & emerging community news. I just rcvd an email telling me my subscription was set to auto renew on Apr 7th at $34 every 4 wks. You have to call to cancel your subscription (410-268-4800), so I called to play "let's make a deal". I told a nice lady with a Central Asian accent that I couldn't afford to renew at that rate. She came back & told me if I made that payment, they'd extend my subscription thru Dec 2025.
...33 mos for $34. Well worth it ! ;) Now if Wags just can find some good news to report.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Let’s pray the Mids get to have that same OC and DC for their time on the yard. Damned shame the players have gotten caught in the jet wash as staff bounces in and out ever 2-3 years.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

ExLax wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:11 pm
EasyRider wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:57 pm This is Amplo's second full season at the helm, no?
Fourth - https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... -amplo/676
" Joe Amplo enters his fourth season as the head coach at Navy after being introduced as the program’s ninth head coach on June 5, 2019"
2020 ... Covid, played five games
2021 ... half season, played nine games
2022 ... full season
2023 ...
old salt

Post by old salt »

Yes. '20 & '21 were COVID shortened, & it was miserable for the Mids trapped on the Yard, locked down in Bancroft Hall. YA can explain.

The webcast of the Villanova game was well done. The color commentator was very familiar with, & complimentary of, Coach Amplo, based on his time at Marquette & the Big East battles they had with Nova. He remarked that Amplo's defenses don't slide much, requiring the goalie to make a lot of stops. When Navy slipped into a zone in the 2nd half, he said he didn't recall ever before seeing an Amplo team play zone, fwiw.
They were also quite sympathetic to the impact of all the injuries on Navy's performance.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:26 pm
Yes. '20 & '21 were COVID shortened, & it was miserable for the Mids trapped on the Yard, locked down in Bancroft Hall. YA can explain.

The webcast of the Villanova game was well done. The color commentator was very familiar with, & complimentary of, Coach Amplo, based on his time at Marquette & the Big East battles they had with Nova. He remarked that Amplo's defenses don't slide much, requiring the goalie to make a lot of stops. When Navy slipped into a zone in the 2nd half, he said he didn't recall ever before seeing an Amplo team play zone, fwiw.
They were also quite sympathetic to the impact of all the injuries on Navy's performance.
I love defenses that don’t slide (much) so long as they can play buttoned up man and pressure AJ. It is a staple of how Byrne orchestrated his D at ND and Wellner did it some here.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

Confirmation. Arline's absence is due to injury.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
Xavier Arline’s goal of playing two varsity sports simultaneously will be put to the test now that spring football has begun.

The quarterback’s attempt to pull double duty, playing lacrosse as well as attending spring football practice, did not get off to a good start as Arline is currently sidelined with an injury. He did not participate in the opening football practice on Monday and did not play in the Navy lacrosse loss at Villanova on Tuesday.

While expressing admiration for Arline’s attitude and work ethic, Newberry seemed uncertain as to how things will play out over the course of spring camp.

“I’ve been impressed with Xavier and the way he’s handled both. It’s a lot to juggle,” Newberry said. “We’d like to get Xavier more often than we do, but he’s been around. Unfortunately, he’s dealt with a few injuries from lacrosse that have kept him out of what we’re doing. It will be a touch-and-go thing this spring. Hopefully, he’ll be available for most of our practices.”

Newberry is planning to make the quarterbacks “live” during scrimmage situations this spring, meaning they can be tackled to the ground. Arline might wear a non-contact jersey to help keep him healthy for lacrosse.

“I’m not sure about Xavier just yet. It depends on some other things he’s dealing with right now,” Newberry said. “There’s a little bit of conflict with lacrosse games, but that was part of our agreement. It will be day-to-day as far as what type of live work he’s getting.”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thanks for the insert from the paper, OS.

Does anyone find it odd that the type of injuries are not mentioned, like in most other sports reports?
~Livy

lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:51 am Thanks for the insert from the paper, OS.

Does anyone find it odd that the type of injuries are not mentioned, like in most other sports reports?
I find it odd that there is so much crying an excuses about injuries, just play the games.
old salt

Post by old salt »

lorin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:24 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:51 am Thanks for the insert from the paper, OS.

I find it odd that there is so much crying an excuses about injuries, just play the games.
It is a matter of interest to fantasy lax players -- the reason this forum exists.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Off to Holy Cross to face Coach JL Reppert, who was my original #1 choice to replace Sowell. With the way things are looking, Holy Cross could very possibly get their first win of the season on Saturday.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

JL hasn't exactly shown much as a head coach at HC. Ditto for Amplo at Navy...Where are all the "fire Sowell" posters?! ;)
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Beat Army!
Last edited by FMUBart on Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm JL hasn't exactly shown much as a head coach at HC. Ditto for Amplo at Navy...Where are all the "fire Sowell" posters?! ;) More importantly, how is Joe's sideline demeanor? :lol:
They probably have absolutely no regrets. Sowell clearly had "hit his ceiling" at Navy. It was time for a change at the top. Stuff like this happens.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I was watching the stream of the Navy and Hopkins game and after what I think was the last goal scored by Navy, #24 started limping noticeably. The commentators didn’t mention it (which seemed weird to me but they were caught up in the flow of an exciting game) and #24 stayed in the game. It was definitely a “lower body injury” as they say in the NHL. I recall that he had a hamstring injury this year in football and I wondered if that had recurred. Wishing #24 and the other injured Navy MLax players the speediest possible recovery. A lot of things are by the board for the season but there are things to fight for (including the game against Army). Sometimes a season “goes pear shaped” as our friends the Brits say. Hope these guys keep fighting and make some special moments for themselves before the year is out.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:08 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:58 pm JL hasn't exactly shown much as a head coach at HC. Ditto for Amplo at Navy...Where are all the "fire Sowell" posters?! ;) More importantly, how is Joe's sideline demeanor? :lol:
They probably have absolutely no regrets. Sowell clearly had "hit his ceiling" at Navy. It was time for a change at the top. Stuff like this happens.
Apparently a much higher ceiling than the current regime, though...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”