D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Navy 2023

Post by OCanada »

The schools have different rule sets and admission criteria as a start
lorin

Post by lorin »

OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:57 am The schools have different rule sets and admission criteria as a start
Really, wow did not know that, so their 4/5 stars are different from Navy.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lorin wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:51 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:03 am
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 pm X’s & O’s or Jimmy & Joes? Show me a good coach & I’ll show you good players(J Wooden)… schemes on O are only effective if a player or two can beat their man and either shoot or draw a slide..otherwise you’re peeing in the wind. Coaches know this and that’s why they rely on the same initiators and the other guys are either catch-n-shoot types or relay guys. A Coach can draw up the best scheme or play, but if the ball carrier is unable to get his hands free, it’s a no go.. Navy’s injury bug has crippled their ability to execute the aforementioned, imho…
I certainly agree, losing 28 and 29 hurts, but they also where not dialed in while healthy(see sh%). I attribute that to a few things, but primarily not stretching the players abilities beyond their current comfort level.

Counterpoint to your comment:
When you can’t beat a 1v1, then the coach has to improvise, adapt, and (hopefully)overcome. He’s not there to just drive the bus and do the same thing expecting a different result.

- Ball movement has to much faster, currently it stalls with each player trying to find the next opportunity.
- Picks provide a half-step advantage (most of the time)
- Multiple picks in motion, disrupt defensive slide packages, create openings for the slip/backside guys, open up skip lanes, create favorable matchups due to disruption.
- Creative substitutions
- defensive transition
- more strategic wing play on faceoffs (long overdue)
- wing dodges that force defenses to make calculated decisions (how do they slide and recover if O goes topside/underneath)
- backside transfers, rather than watching the dodger or just parking waiting for the premium step down or your turn to catch the ball to just pass it AJ.
- quick designed outlets from a save, to push transition, rather than controlled clears.

Sure, they may very well be attempting all this in practice and realize we just can’t get it right. If true, then we are just kicking the can with our hands in our pockets. Which is why I made the comment last Sunday that a discussion with AD/NAAA/Alum should take place to give the Staff plenty of time to 'change' our culture on the field. We seem to be far too entrenched in yesteryear, flush the antiquated style of play of decades past, and retain 'innovative' staff for durations longer than 2-3 years; our players are the ones suffering and there is nothing they can do. Remember....they are trained to follow orders.
I don't watch all the games but tonight's game both head coaches hired around the same time, both have new offensive coordinator's, and mentioned above on paper should be even game. So why is one team on the rise?
I'd would make the argument that JGJ furthered the Benson style offense with his added flavor, which cultivated higher Field IQ in the current players, which pushed the defense outside their comfort level and now it is bearing fruit throughout. I think Ross was taking the long look, he first focused far more on fundamentals, learning 'life on the yard' and never fully had the chance to get Navy O playing faster before leaving so soon. At OSU, the motion/pairs offense was already set in motion and he really honed/focused on shooting accuracy/fundamentals which carried over to Navy.

Was hoping I could make the game, but I am being dragged to my MIL's birthday party.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

I don't watch all the games but tonight's game both head coaches hired around the same time, both have new offensive coordinator's, and mentioned above on paper should be even game. So why is one team on the rise?

Because "on paper" does not equate with on the field!
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

lorin wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:08 am
OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:57 am The schools have different rule sets and admission criteria as a start
Really, wow did not know that, so their 4/5 stars are different from Navy.
Apparently you don’t understand the different impacts. Glad i could help
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Disappointing loss. Navy was right there for most of it. What was the difference down the stretch?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Collison either scored or assisted on Hop’s last three goals.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:19 pm Disappointing loss. Navy was right there for most of it. What was the difference down the stretch?
Hopkins stopped throwing the ball all over the place
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:14 am
lorin wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:51 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:03 am
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 pm X’s & O’s or Jimmy & Joes? Show me a good coach & I’ll show you good players(J Wooden)… schemes on O are only effective if a player or two can beat their man and either shoot or draw a slide..otherwise you’re peeing in the wind. Coaches know this and that’s why they rely on the same initiators and the other guys are either catch-n-shoot types or relay guys. A Coach can draw up the best scheme or play, but if the ball carrier is unable to get his hands free, it’s a no go.. Navy’s injury bug has crippled their ability to execute the aforementioned, imho…
I certainly agree, losing 28 and 29 hurts, but they also where not dialed in while healthy(see sh%). I attribute that to a few things, but primarily not stretching the players abilities beyond their current comfort level.

Counterpoint to your comment:
When you can’t beat a 1v1, then the coach has to improvise, adapt, and (hopefully)overcome. He’s not there to just drive the bus and do the same thing expecting a different result.

- Ball movement has to much faster, currently it stalls with each player trying to find the next opportunity.
- Picks provide a half-step advantage (most of the time)
- Multiple picks in motion, disrupt defensive slide packages, create openings for the slip/backside guys, open up skip lanes, create favorable matchups due to disruption.
- Creative substitutions
- defensive transition
- more strategic wing play on faceoffs (long overdue)
- wing dodges that force defenses to make calculated decisions (how do they slide and recover if O goes topside/underneath)
- backside transfers, rather than watching the dodger or just parking waiting for the premium step down or your turn to catch the ball to just pass it AJ.
- quick designed outlets from a save, to push transition, rather than controlled clears.

Sure, they may very well be attempting all this in practice and realize we just can’t get it right. If true, then we are just kicking the can with our hands in our pockets. Which is why I made the comment last Sunday that a discussion with AD/NAAA/Alum should take place to give the Staff plenty of time to 'change' our culture on the field. We seem to be far too entrenched in yesteryear, flush the antiquated style of play of decades past, and retain 'innovative' staff for durations longer than 2-3 years; our players are the ones suffering and there is nothing they can do. Remember....they are trained to follow orders.
I'd would make the argument that JGJ furthered the Benson style offense with his added flavor, which cultivated higher Field IQ in the current players, which pushed the defense outside their comfort level and now it is bearing fruit throughout. I think Ross was taking the long look, he first focused far more on fundamentals, learning 'life on the yard' and never fully had the chance to get Navy O playing faster before leaving so soon. At OSU, the motion/pairs offense was already set in motion and he really honed/focused on shooting accuracy/fundamentals which carried over to Navy.

Was hoping I could make the game, but I am being dragged to my MIL's birthday party.
JGJ was a disaster. You may be a fan of his playing but he was a disaster.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:19 pm Disappointing loss. Navy was right there for most of it. What was the difference down the stretch?
Late 3rd Qtr:
(7-6 Navy)
(7-7) #48 Penalty late in the 3rd, JHU makes them pay to tie it @ 7's
(8-7 JHU) #9 gets blanked right on the crease by Hop Goalie, easy clear, Hop Goal...now up two goal run in under 90 seconds. Not blaming 9, could have been a pivotal point in favor of Navy. Happy he tried.
(8-8) #9 gets one in a transition goal from #26
(8-8) @13:00 minute mark: errant pass from #43 to #9, gives ball to JHU, immediate ride off this TO was really bad, #9 slams his stick and does not ride until JHU Pole gets half way up the field. #Details
(8-8) TO by #8, JHU pole knocks down throwback pass to #43. Great idea to look back, unfortunate....going back JHU way.
(8-8) @9:00 mark - TO/bad shot by #24, goes for a diving backhand goal with 15 seconds left on shot clock, ALL 6 JHU defenders are parked on low crease, leaving #6 and #43 parked at 10-12 yards for a step down not JHU defenders within 7 yards of them.
(9-8 JHU) - rebound trash goal off a great initial save. back breaker. (holding Navy on next f/o. JHU plays make it take it)
(10-8 JHU) - great left hand sweeping goal by JHU, #47 SSDM goes for some poor one handed stick checks after pick/motion O by HOP and JHU player takes advantage of the extra steps we gave handed them.
(10-8) @ 6:00 - Shot clock violation Navy.
(10-9) - #10 picks of a clear by JHU goalie, we capitalize.
(11-9) #48 gets stalled in the jet wash of a 2-man slip. Nice play by Hop.
(11-9) - Unfortunate TO by #24 when balls flies out of his stick as he winds up for a shot. Hop goes down and scores
(12-9) - at this point its over.

Very solid game, it was clear they buttoned up a few things over the week, kudos to the staff and payers.

When you chase this all down, it comes down to an accumulation of small details, offensive efficiency, and defensive preparedness. I will continue to beat this drum....because we do not run a enough motion offense with pairs, picks, slips, etc, we are not preparing our players on O&D for teams that do.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:45 am
Late 3rd Qtr:
(7-6 Navy)
(8-7 JHU) #9 gets blanked right on the crease by Hop Goalie, easy clear, Hop Goal...now up two goal run in under 90 seconds. Not blaming 9, could have been a pivotal point in favor of Navy. Happy he tried.
(8-8) @13:00 minute mark: errant pass from #43 to #9, gives ball to JHU, immediate ride off this TO was really bad, #9 slams his stick and does not ride until JHU Pole gets half way up the field. #Details
(8-8) TO by #8, JHU pole knocks down throwback pass to #43. Great idea to look back, unfortunate....going back JHU way.
(8-8) @9:00 mark - TO/bad shot by #24, goes for a diving backhand goal with 15 seconds left on shot clock, ALL 6 JHU defenders are parked on low crease, leaving #6 and #43 parked at 10-12 yards for a step down not JHU defenders within 7 yards of them.
(9-8 JHU) - rebound trash goal off a great initial save. back breaker. (holding Navy on next f/o. JHU plays make it take it)
(10-8 JHU) - great left hand sweeping goal by JHU, #47 SSDM goes for some poor one handed stick checks after pick/motion O by HOP and JHU player takes advantage of the extra steps we gave handed them.
(11-9) - Unfortunate TO by #24 when balls flies out of his stick as he winds up for a shot. Hop goes down and scores

Very solid game, it was clear they buttoned up a few things over the week, kudos to the staff and payers.

When you chase this all down, it comes down to an accumulation of small details, offensive efficiency, and defensive preparedness. I will continue to beat this drum....because we do not run a enough motion offense with pairs, picks, slips, etc, we are not preparing our players on O&D for teams that do.
what is your prediction for Navy's final season record? I predict 5-10.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

oldskoollax wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:47 pm what is your prediction for Navy's final season record? I predict 5-10.
I'll ride with my original prediction....
From my post back in October...its not looking very likely unless they win out: https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ng#p421926

Updated 20MAR2023, with FINAL SCORE Addition

Sat., Jan 28 vs Virginia (Scrimmage)...........FINAL SCORE
W (13-8) Fri., Feb 3 vs Mount St. Marys.......13-7 Navy
W (15-7) Sun., Feb 5 vs Queens College.......19-5 Navy
W (14-7) Sat., Feb 11 at Hofstra................13-12 Navy
W (12-9) Sat., Feb 18 vs Manhattan............5-5 Manhattan
L (13-10) Sat., Feb 25 at High Point........... 13-14 High Point
L (10-9) Sat., Mar 4 vs Lehigh.................. 10-13 Lehgih
W (9-8) Sat., Mar 11 at Colgate.................8-17 Colgate
W (8-7) Fri., Mar 17 vs Johns Hopkins :D......9-12 JHU
L (14-9)Tue., Mar 21 at Villanova
W (12-7) Sat., Mar 25 at Holy Cross
L (16-9) Sat., Apr 1 vs Boston University
W (9-8) Fri., Apr 7 at Loyola
W (12-10) Sat., Apr 15 vs Lafayette
W (11-10) Sat., Apr 22 vs Army
W (12-7) Fri., Apr 28 at Bucknell
Tue., May 2 at Patriot League Quarterfinals
Fri., May 5 at Patriot League Semifinals
Sun., May 7 at Patriot League Championship
~Livy

Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:08 am
oldskoollax wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:47 pm what is your prediction for Navy's final season record? I predict 5-10.
I'll ride with my original prediction....
From my post back in October...its not looking very likely unless they win out: https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ng#p421926

Updated 20MAR2023, with FINAL SCORE Addition

Sat., Jan 28 vs Virginia (Scrimmage)...........FINAL SCORE
W (13-8) Fri., Feb 3 vs Mount St. Marys.......13-7 Navy
W (15-7) Sun., Feb 5 vs Queens College.......19-5 Navy
W (14-7) Sat., Feb 11 at Hofstra................13-12 Navy
W (12-9) Sat., Feb 18 vs Manhattan............5-5 Manhattan
L (13-10) Sat., Feb 25 at High Point........... 13-14 High Point
L (10-9) Sat., Mar 4 vs Lehigh.................. 10-13 Lehgih
W (9-8) Sat., Mar 11 at Colgate.................8-17 Colgate
W (8-7) Fri., Mar 17 vs Johns Hopkins :D......9-12 JHU
L (14-9)Tue., Mar 21 at Villanova
W (12-7) Sat., Mar 25 at Holy Cross
L (16-9) Sat., Apr 1 vs Boston University
W (9-8) Fri., Apr 7 at Loyola
W (12-10) Sat., Apr 15 vs Lafayette
W (11-10) Sat., Apr 22 vs Army
W (12-7) Fri., Apr 28 at Bucknell
Tue., May 2 at Patriot League Quarterfinals
Fri., May 5 at Patriot League Semifinals
Sun., May 7 at Patriot League Championship
Only see one more win.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

I think the mids will come together and squeeze out a few conference wins. I wouldn't bet against them
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Of to Nova tomorrow. If the pattern continues, we could see a final score that is a lot to a little. Nova has looked excellent.
essorcalveritas

Post by essorcalveritas »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:45 am
Late 3rd Qtr:
(7-6 Navy)

Very nice recap of late 3rd and 4th Qs. Similar to Lehigh, just a few lapses of concentration late in the game and the opponent pounced and put the Midshipmen away. Navy was in the game till very late. National media consensus is that Hop played terrible (no credit to Mids for showing up and playing their butts off). Definitely a few plays they would love to take back (unforced turnovers, wasted opportunities, ill timed penalties etc...) Also too much clearing the ball right in front of the Hopkins bench (which resulted in multiple turnovers). The health of the team is not going to improve anytime soon, so in a way this is forcing the staff to try out new kids and new line combinations (at Mid and Attack).
On that note, do you think there are any players that should see more (or less) field time based on what has transpired so far this season?
old salt

Post by old salt »

essorcalveritas wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:50 pm The health of the team is not going to improve anytime soon, so in a way this is forcing the staff to try out new kids and new line combinations (at Mid and Attack). On that note, do you think there are any players that should see more (or less) field time based on what has transpired so far this season?
Jr midfielder #25 seems to have dropped off the depth chart this season.
He ran on MF2 in 15 of 24 games his first 2 seasons. He has a hard accurate shot that he's eager to use.
In those 15 games, he took 21 shots, put 17 of them on goal, scoring 6 goals, with 2 assists.
Pretty good shooting %'s on a team that's challenged with shooting accuracy.
As a fr, he scored 5 goals while competing with #43 & #28 for playing time.
Played some EMO.

https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... rhee/23728
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Solid effort against Hop and glad to see more MIDS getting some playing time. I was impressed with the intensity, effort and game plan. Disappointed in a few players effort and wouldn't be surprised to see a few more changes today.

With that being said, Spring Football is about entire a critical part of the year. I suspect that 24 will be spending even more time with the football team and less times with the lacrosse team. TBH, I don't see this being an issue. It will probably allow other players to step into that position in practice/game and I suspect the offense will operate more efficiently and the riding intensity will increase.

The NOVA team is very skilled and very well coached. It will be a very one sided game but the MIDS have an opportunity to build on the HOP game and get some team chemistry/momentum going into some critical; Patriot League games.

BEAT NOVA !
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not looking good vs Nova, they better their opponents in:

~Assisted and Unassisted goals
~GBs
~CT's
~F/O & FO%
~Shots/Gm

Going to need to really be buttoned up on wing play, navigating through high motion and picks, and goaltending. Nova avg. ~13 goals/game, and we are ~11...with the outlier vs Queens. I'll still go with my score from October, and hope that I am wrong.
~Livy

gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Yep! On paper, things don't look good for Navy. Oh well, no matter what happens, Navy will have more experience of playing a tough opponent under their belts. Hopefully, that will lead to a good conference run from here on.

One thing to note that also factors in Nova's favor is that they still have an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament within reach if they don't win their conference tournament. Navy does not.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”