D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Delaware Blue Hens 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

I’ve seen that look numerous times,

looks like broken, cracked ribs to me.
and once you get one, you can’t move your arm,
you can’t protect yourself,

I mean, a meaningless play, 1 minute left, the game was over.
Ctlaxer32

Post by Ctlaxer32 »

He got hurt the possession before during the shovel pass with 1:56 left. After that his right arm was limp shaking and he couldn’t get back into his goalie stance. Was surprised they put him back out after the timeout
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good to know,

still, what was Melendez thinking
hacking away at him ?

I hope the coaches chew him out .
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Yep I saw he was in cage hurting the possession before and was suprised they didn't pull him out.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:36 pm Good to know,

hacking away at him ?

Why was he out there if he couldn't protect himself? Couldn't raise his arm? And he's out on the field? Not sure what the players on the other team are supposed to do with that. Not touch him? Real bad look for the coaching staff here. Hens were also taking baseball swings all game so don't play innocent.
Last edited by Catbird on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Why wasn’t Finn Morgan on the field,

they could have used his shotmaking.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Catbird wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:48 pm

hacking away at him ?

Why was he out there if he couldn't protect himself? Couldn't raise his arm? And he's out on the field? Not sure what the players on the other team are supposed to do with that. Not touch him? Real bad look for the coaching staff here.
Some really interesting made-up stories about Kilkeary’s injury. Nobody here knows what happened. But he clearly could lift his arm because he reached up to intercept the pass before he was assaulted. So stop with the BS conjecture about bad coaching. Hopkins won. It was a very cheap shot. Let’s leave it at that.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Ok dad. I'm not the one who said he was injured on the previous play.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Just watched it again after sitting through it live. Assault is a strong word. Slashing I get, hardly the worst I saw on the field tonight though. Kid went down in a heap while being defended and Melendez ran past him to go get the ball. Didn't seem malicious at all, little to no windup and hands were separated, but he got him in the back and I guess didn't immediately realize that the kid was going to need EMT attention later. Feel bad for him but if he doesn't get hurt no one bats an eye at that play, Delaware was taking late hits and baseball swings at free arms all night.

Also he didn't look injured beforehand to me so not sure where some people came to that conclusion. Sorry for running with it.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

What the prognosis on Killeary,
of course that’s the question.

Hens do have an advantage here, they have two extra large
backup goalies who despite having virtually zero playing time
can at least block shots with their size — extra added pressure
on the defense of course, so here’s hoping they have a solid
rotation there.

And as mentioned earlier,
no Finn Morgan yesterday,
injured ?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:34 am What the prognosis on Killeary,
of course that’s the question.

Hens do have an advantage here, they have two extra large
backup goalies who despite having virtually zero playing time
can at least block shots with their size — extra added pressure
on the defense of course, so here’s hoping they have a solid
rotation there.

And as mentioned earlier,
no Finn Morgan yesterday,
injured ?
Finn Morgan is a lefty attackman. With Robinson back it’s tough to find a spot for Morgan. The midfield is already packed with lefties (Nick Jessen, Brendan Powers, Jason Kolar and Matt Acchione). Drew Lenkaitis is left handed as well, but doesn’t look to be playing anytime soon.

Morgan is ridiculously talented. Maybe they can get him some runs at midfield at some point?

We’ve seen Paul Reidy play in goal last year but never really anything from Koff. Hopefully Kilkeary is okay. Otherwise, next man up!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:55 pm

hacking away at him ?

Why was he out there if he couldn't protect himself? Couldn't raise his arm? And he's out on the field? Not sure what the players on the other team are supposed to do with that. Not touch him? Real bad look for the coaching staff here.
Some really interesting made-up stories about Kilkeary’s injury. Nobody here knows what happened. But he clearly could lift his arm because he reached up to intercept the pass before he was assaulted. So stop with the BS conjecture about bad coaching. Hopkins won. It was a very cheap shot. Let’s leave it at that.
The question is, was the Hopkins hacking or Alijah Martin dunk the Sunday Classless Play of the Night?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:30 pm
Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:55 pm

hacking away at him ?

The question is, was the Hopkins hacking or Alijah Martin dunk the Sunday Classless Play of the Night?
I like that one of the Hopkins’ captains walked right over and had
a talking to Melendez -
- hopefully the conversation was more along the lines of,
Why risk a penalty and letting a solid team back into a game
which was all but won at that point.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

The Hens feel like Loyola of last year at this point. High expectations based on the previous year’s tournament success and all the high quality returners, but no team mix/culture.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Comeonman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:00 pm The Hens feel like Loyola of last year at this point. High expectations based on the previous year’s tournament success and all the high quality returners, but no team mix/culture.
Not sure I agree with this comparison. Last year after 8 games Loyola was 3-5. Delaware is 5-3 with a 1 goal loss to #7 Villanova and 2 goal loss to #8 Johns Hopkins. They played most of these games without all American Mike Robinson and top midfielder Drew Lenkaitis. And played all without top Fogo Logan Premtaj.

Delaware has their whole season right in front of them with CAA play beginning. This team is playing fine, just not winning the close games. They average 14.25 goals a game and give up just 9.75. They are playing a lot of younger guys that are getting better every week.

They have a prolific attack group led by the nations top goal scorer in Tye Kurtz. Robinson has been back for two games and is working his way back into shape.

We will know in a couple weeks if your comparison is on point. But they’ve got a long way to go and are still favored to win the conference. We will see. It’ll be fun. Hens are an exciting team to watch.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

My two cents...I thought that Delaware looked very good against Hopkins. I'm guessing that they won't let up in trying to keep improving.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

faircornell wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:35 am My two cents...I thought that Delaware looked very good against Hopkins. I'm guessing that they won't let up in trying to keep improving.
Seriously? How bout their inability to clear?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

tech37 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:49 am
faircornell wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:35 am My two cents...I thought that Delaware looked very good against Hopkins. I'm guessing that they won't let up in trying to keep improving.
I think Delaware is a very fun team to watch. Robinson, Kurtz and Grant are all individually worth the price of admission. That said, I thought they weren't very good at all against Hop. Got dominated at F/O, terrible on GBs (which is really surprising), couldn't clear. Take away the 7 goals in 7 shots run and/or a really good performance from Kilkeary, and that game isn't particularly close.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Couldn't clear and gave up 7 straight goals when they had a 5 goal lead...stinko :roll:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

nyjay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:04 am
tech37 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:49 am
I think Delaware is a very fun team to watch. Robinson, Kurtz and Grant are all individually worth the price of admission. That said, I thought they weren't very good at all against Hop. Got dominated at F/O, terrible on GBs (which is really surprising), couldn't clear. Take away the 7 goals in 7 shots run and/or a really good performance from Kilkeary, and that game isn't particularly close.
I like them too. But to be up 10-5 (if I recall correctly) in second half, and with all the momentum, to then not be able to advance the ball beyond midfield (and as you point out, not find other possession answers)... sheesh

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”