Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

-now that the games are 1 a week, I'm not sure you want collison sitting for stuart phillips and krampf looked hesitant yesterday.
-Quint thrashed Petro's early recruiting again this morning in his monday recap.
-Grimes makes a lot of turnovers but Melendez is good for 1 bad one a half or close to it.
-The shooting was really bad last night.
-I thought Nadelen deserved stronger consideration for the job than he got. Towson is 1-6.
-Flo sports is broadcasting enemy 1, btn+ is 2, the ann arbor broadcasts are 3, the broadcasters talking over live sound from huddles is 4.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:49 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:58 am
- I wonder if the Rules Committee can or will consider anything about the throw it over the goal against the 10 man - seems like Hopkins (and of course they are not the only team) got to bail itself out twice with shameless bombs well over the goal.
It is likely to be a topic of discussion but I doubt they do much. You can still lose the ball when you take that shot. See the UMD v. UVA game when UMd did it in the 4th quarter and the UVA defenseman boxed the UMd player out and moved closer to the ball to get ball on the shot.
I mean, a shot-on-goal is a shot-on-goal, no matter how badly it misses. To make an exception and not apply the rule for those long shots against a 10-man ride would be a huge mistake. Its one of the most effective of a limited number of options to beat a 10-man. Take that away and good luck clearing the ball as teams use the 10-man without any risk of getting burned.
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:04 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:58 am - I wonder if the Rules Committee can or will consider anything about the throw it over the goal against the 10 man - seems like Hopkins (and of course they are not the only team) got to bail itself out twice with shameless bombs well over the goal.
Yeah I bet this gets sorted out eventually. Seems like an easy fix. If you take a "shot" from your own half of the field, it should not actually be considered a shot. If you want a chance at the back up, the shot has to be taken past the midline.
As above, strongly disagree. If you take away one of the few effective ways to counter a 10-man ride, teams will use it with impunity and the game will be a very ugly watch.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am Bauer and Peshko have moved up and down the first two lines but they haven't shown an interest w/doing that with chauvette and evans.
Uhh I don't think this is true with respect to Evans. Looked like Evans McDermott and Bauer were the 2's in some of the the second half to me. Third line middies don't get 2 shots per game and if you shoot 6 for 13 you dont stay a 3 for very long. BTW - if Chauvette was 3 inches taller and 25 lbs heavier he would be Brandon Benn redux with some mobility - amazing release - just gets pushed around sometimes.

I don't know where to come out on the 10 man ride shoot it over the goal thing. On the one hand it seems like a not very pretty get out of jail free card in many cases. On the other primitive is right - if it's outlawed to any degree then there is no reason not to do the 10 man and that's a loser too.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:40 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am Bauer and Peshko have moved up and down the first two lines but they haven't shown an interest w/doing that with chauvette and evans.
Uhh I don't think this is true with respect to Evans. Looked like Evans McDermott and Bauer were the 2's in some of the the second half to me. Third line middies don't get 2 shots per game and if you shoot 6 for 13 you dont stay a 3 for very long. BTW - if Chauvette was 3 inches taller and 25 lbs heavier he would be Brandon Benn redux with some mobility - amazing release - just gets pushed around sometimes.

I don't know where to come out on the 10 man ride shoot it over the goal thing. On the one hand it seems like a not very pretty get out of jail free card in many cases. On the other primitive is right - if it's outlawed to any degree then there is no reason not to do the 10 man and that's a loser too.
I meant they haven't moved evans/chauvette up to 1.

I still don't know where 25 came from. Looked like they gave hawley a break at the end of the game and moved 20 to his spot on faceoffs. In the syracuse game mcdermott got that shift.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:54 pm
notentitled wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:05 pm Six weeks ago Peter Millimen needed to be burned at the stake to get rid of the demons that haunted Homewood Field. Soon, the Peter Millimen coach of the year posts will emerge. :D
No just one village idiot that would have gladly lit the pyre.

Some others might have stood around in their robes and looked the other way but wanted plausible deniability.
lol !
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:28 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:04 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:58 am - I wonder if the Rules Committee can or will consider anything about the throw it over the goal against the 10 man - seems like Hopkins (and of course they are not the only team) got to bail itself out twice with shameless bombs well over the goal.
Yeah I bet this gets sorted out eventually. Seems like an easy fix. If you take a "shot" from your own half of the field, it should not actually be considered a shot. If you want a chance at the back up, the shot has to be taken past the midline.
As above, strongly disagree. If you take away one of the few effective ways to counter a 10-man ride, teams will use it with impunity and the game will be a very ugly watch.
agreed. you want to leave the farthest man, you risk it being called a shot and them backing it up. and only making something a shot, when there's an open goal, when it's close enough isn't equitable and pretty unprecedented.

more likely would be making it an emphasis for real judgment or closer scrutiny on the play, and not just *assuming* that's the intention unless there's overwhelming evidence. several calls the other way would get the message across that it'd better be a best effort. if they miss occasionally swinging to the other side, shoot better.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:43 pm I still don't know where 25 came from.
He was an Under Armour All-American and top 35 recruit for one of the top high school programs in the country. His brother is an AA middie at Princeton and his other brother is an impact two-way guy for Carolina. In those season previews that you over-analyze PM and Crawley very clearly mentioned him as a guy who'd be in the mix but he's been banged up until recently.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:02 pm
He was an Under Armour All-American and top 35 recruit for one of the top high school programs in the country. His brother is an AA middie at Princeton and his other brother is an impact two-way guy for Carolina. In those season previews that you over-analyze PM and Crawley very clearly mentioned him as a guy who'd be in the mix but he's been banged up until recently.
apparently a one time future brown bear as well according to IL.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:02 pm
lol !

It was a coin toss which of those Ontario players would have the
greater impact at the next level, Collison, Finlay Thomson,
Willem Firth (next year with Cornell), and Brooks English was
another, he had a good solid summer with Burlington.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:46 pm
notentitled wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:05 pm Six weeks ago Peter Millimen needed to be burned at the stake to get rid of the demons that haunted Homewood Field. Soon, the Peter Millimen coach of the year posts will emerge. :D

Some others might have stood around in their robes and looked the other way but wanted plausible deniability.
lol !
You merry fools are giving Milliman way too much credit.
While it's true he's brought in a couple good transfers and recruits, they just replace players he lost to graduation. He's also run off some good players and some good recruits. But the truth is he's had good players all along, he just hasn't know what to do with them until now. What's the difference? Crawley and Kelly. They've put together an offense that works and are playing a lot of players. This keeps the team rested and ready to make a run in the fourth quarter and now they're closing out games when they couldn't before. Even the announcers for the last game thought they both deserved a ton of credit. I also suspect Kelly has had a lot to do with playing Marcille since he's been working with the goalies. Marcille was riding Milliman's bench until Kelly came along. The team is trending well now, but was looking pretty bad before these two coaches joined the staff so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out their impact. Of course, the court jesters on here want to pretend that PM turned things around all by his lonesome, but the evidence speaks clearly to the contrary.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:40 am

lol !
While it's true he's brought in a couple good transfers and recruits, they just replace players he lost to graduation. He's also run off some good players and some good recruits. But the truth is he's had good players all along, he just hasn't know what to do with them until now. What's the difference? Crawley and Kelly. They've put together an offense that works and are playing a lot of players. This keeps the team rested and ready to make a run in the fourth quarter and now they're closing out games when they couldn't before. Even the announcers for the last game thought they both deserved a ton of credit. I also suspect Kelly has had a lot to do with playing Marcille since he's been working with the goalies. Marcille was riding Milliman's bench until Kelly came along. The team is trending well now, but was looking pretty bad before these two coaches joined the staff so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out their impact. Of course, the court jesters on here want to pretend that PM turned things around all by his lonesome, but the evidence speaks clearly to the contrary.
Just as I would give coaches credit for recruiting and developing players, I would also give them credit for hiring and leveraging the coaching competencies of their assistants. Ultimately, the head coach gets the credit/blame for team performance.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

This forum is so funny.

Sagittarius, you seem to harbor a lot of ill will against Peter Milliman. Are you related to Joey Epstein? :D
Last edited by notentitled on Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:48 am
Just as I would give coaches credit for recruiting and developing players, I would also give them credit for hiring and leveraging the coaching competencies of their assistants. Ultimately, the head coach gets the credit/blame for team performance.
Again, left to his own devices, PM hired guys from all over the place. It didn't work out for him. Someone undoubtedly told him or instructed him to hire assistant coaches who had played at Hopkins.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:22 am
NOVALax2015 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:48 am
Again, left to his own devices, PM hired guys from all over the place. It didn't work out for him. Someone undoubtedly told him or instructed him to hire assistant coaches who had played at Hopkins.
God, you truly are in need of a lobotomy. There are legitimate criticisms to be made of PM (and every other coach) but you sound like a raving lunatic with this revisionist history and conspiracy-mongering.

The very first thing PM did after he was hired was to go out and hire Jamison Koesterer. That was literally the first thing he did. And that has been an excellent hire. Junior was a big swing, surely you can at least see the logic in bringing in a big name to create some buzz for a fading program and help with recruiting (you think Matt Collison would be here if Junior wasn't the OC when he was recruited? I'm skeptical). Ultimately, it didn't work out, but they moved on pretty quickly and so far Crawley looks like another promising hire.

You keep acting like PM is some kind of cipher, a puppet with no agency of his own. Just who exactly is forcing him now to hire alums? Daniels? I thought he wanted to go D3? Baker? I thought she was just PM's Cornell pal who didn't care about Hop alumni? Who's calling the shots? What's the real conspiracy here? Maybe, just maybe, PM thought of the idea himself to hire Crawley as OC after the first attempt didn't work out. The guy was successful at Cornell. Have you ever stopped to think, for even a second, that he might have some idea of what the hell he's doing? Don't answer that. It was rhetorical.

Blaming the head coach for all of the team's failures, but assigning him precisely zero credit for its successes, is the quintessential example of operating in bad faith.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

So, I think four is the magic number. 4 more wins and they make the tourney. Not sure it matters which 4 given the quality of the conference. 3 and they're on the bubble (unless one of them happens to be MD) and probably out. Obviously, a lot can happen between now and May, but I think it's probably as simple as 4 and you're in, 3 and you're out.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:58 am So, I think four is the magic number. 4 more wins and they make the tourney. Not sure it matters which 4 given the quality of the conference. 3 and they're on the bubble (unless one of them happens to be MD) and probably out. Obviously, a lot can happen between now and May, but I think it's probably as simple as 4 and you're in, 3 and you're out.
I think it's three. It might even be two depending on which two. Like if they go 2-3 but one of those wins is Maryland, they probably get in. But that would be playing with fire. 10 wins would put them in a good spot. If this team gets to 11 wins they're not only in but a lock for a home game IMO.

Non-con play is over and the Big Ten has three teams in the top 10 RPI (including us, at 9) and all six in the top 20. It's set up really well for the conference to get at minimum two at-large bids, with the possibility of three or even four.

Michigan first.
primitiveskills

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:40 am

lol !
Really?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:30 am
nyjay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:58 am So, I think four is the magic number. 4 more wins and they make the tourney. Not sure it matters which 4 given the quality of the conference. 3 and they're on the bubble (unless one of them happens to be MD) and probably out. Obviously, a lot can happen between now and May, but I think it's probably as simple as 4 and you're in, 3 and you're out.
I think it's three. It might even be two depending on which two. Like if they go 2-3 but one of those wins is Maryland, they probably get in. But that would be playing with fire. 10 wins would put them in a good spot. If this team gets to 11 wins they're not only in but a lock for a home game IMO.

Non-con play is over and the Big Ten has three teams in the top 10 RPI (including us, at 9) and all six in the top 20. It's set up really well for the conference to get at minimum two at-large bids, with the possibility of three or even four.

Michigan first.
I think the issue is the number of bids for the league - if they beat OSU and Michigan in conference (and then one of them again in first round of the B1G tournament). That likely leaves them fourth in the conference and I think three at larges is unlikely. I recognize this is an obvious point, but it really is hard to get an at large bid. Given the number of quality teams these days and the size of the tournament field, it's an actual achievement to get one.

If the number is three, then I'm optimistic we'll get to see an extra game in May.

But yes, Michigan first.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”