Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Catbird

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Catbird »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:39 am But a slash with no time left.
You can give your opinion just fine, you may not be implying what was being inferred from certain words you chose which indeed are quite loaded and come after some other people had quite the fit over the play. You may not be personally harping, but I'm on the soapbox here speaking to our little arena as much as I am to you at all times.

One of many slashes, it was a rough game.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Catbird wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:43 am One of many slashes, it was a rough game.
You're right. Could have easily been turnabout for earlier play....who knows. We didn't play the game....
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

As an oft-bruised attackman who dealt with my share of all kinds of turd from longpoles, I just don't begrudge a guy whos been a pinata for most of the game getting some shots in when he can. Sorry. :oops: :lol:

People overreacted because the kid injured something; went down in a heap while being slashed by a scrawny short stick with no windup or hands together. Still not as bad as the head hunting I saw by the Chicken****s
Last edited by Catbird on Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:18 am
Catbird wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:47 pm
nyjay wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:42 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:25 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:10 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:03 pm That wasn’t necessary at all :(

the game is over.
What wasn’t necessary was Melendez acting the fool. The result is Suzluk getting trucked by Grant.

Another nice close out by the Jays. Again this team feels different
It was bad but they never call slashing on any of these attackmen so they keep pushing how far they can use their stick on the ride. It’s inevitable you’ll get something like this.
Honest question (I watched the game on my phone) - was the Melendez slash really that bad? It was definitely a penalty and I definitely hope the goalie is OK, but based on the reply I saw (on a 5" screen) it didn't seem to match Dixon's description to me. I'll go back and watch again, but the game is full of of wild one handers these days and they're rarely called. Maybe this one was less of a "wrap" than most, but guys go hard at goalies when they can. Frankly, I thought the dirtiest play of the game was Kurtz's hit on Smith (?) at the midline - thought that one was high and late and could well have resulted in more than 1 minute.
It wasn't that bad. Watched it live from near midfield and just watched it again a foot from a 30" monitor. As you said it was far from the most offensive penalty of the game.
It was obvious that he was targeting the goalie's elbow (stick was in the goalie's other hand) with no time on the clock and up by a few.....more than one try, and the last one hit it right on the button. Clear as day. You hit the gloves on a goalie all day long, and no one will care.

Boys in the booth saw the same thing.
Come on
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:53 am
a fan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:18 am

the game is over.
What wasn’t necessary was Melendez acting the fool. The result is Suzluk getting trucked by Grant.

It was bad but they never call slashing on any of these attackmen so they keep pushing how far they can use their stick on the ride. It’s inevitable you’ll get something like this.
Honest question (I watched the game on my phone) - was the Melendez slash really that bad? It was definitely a penalty and I definitely hope the goalie is OK, but based on the reply I saw (on a 5" screen) it didn't seem to match Dixon's description to me. I'll go back and watch again, but the game is full of of wild one handers these days and they're rarely called. Maybe this one was less of a "wrap" than most, but guys go hard at goalies when they can. Frankly, I thought the dirtiest play of the game was Kurtz's hit on Smith (?) at the midline - thought that one was high and late and could well have resulted in more than 1 minute.
It wasn't that bad. Watched it live from near midfield and just watched it again a foot from a 30" monitor. As you said it was far from the most offensive penalty of the game.
It was obvious that he was targeting the goalie's elbow (stick was in the goalie's other hand) with no time on the clock and up by a few.....more than one try, and the last one hit it right on the button. Clear as day. You hit the gloves on a goalie all day long, and no one will care.

Boys in the booth saw the same thing.
Come on
Seriously
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:30 pm This staff is willing to try different things instead of stubbornly sticking with something that isn't working.
THIS
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Per Ernie, Mazzone's 12 GBs were the most by a non-FOGO Blue Jay in a single game since Bocklet in 2008. 19 groundballs across the two games this weekend for the transfer, who is up to 38 GBs on the year and to me should be a lock for an All-American team. Vacuum off the turf, plays excellent 1v1 defense (to the point where teams are avoiding him and actually attacking Smith more, though that doesn't work very often either), good in transition. Does everything at an elite level against a gauntlet of a schedule. What an enormous portal pickup.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:07 pm

the game is over.

fwiw: on the Delaware thread, the posters are suggesting the goalie was actually injured on the previous play before the TO.
This is correct. He was hurt trying to get out of the crease with ball on another failed clear on a prior play. Looked as though he was holding his ribs on that side after taking a hit.

A pretty standard slash by Mel IMO that aggravated the prior injury further.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

the game is over.

That’s my point. The referees don’t call anything on attackmen so they have no expectation they’ll be penalized for being reckless. Don’t think he was malicious or intended to cause injury at all but it was reckless but that’s the game they’ve created.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Have rewatched it and I don't see it as being all that bad. The GK going down, from a previous injury apparently, is what makes it look worse than it really was (to me), I'd bet if he hadn't gone down no penalty would have been called on that play.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Evans moving up to me starting him in the fantasy league?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:10 am Evans moving up to me starting him in the fantasy league?
too many other guys in the mix. The 3rd and fourth lines were cute but we're going back to one game a week and these are crunch time games. Bauer and Peshko have moved up and down the first two lines but they haven't shown an interest w/doing that with chauvette and evans. You now also have english entering the mix.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

a fan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:39 am
Catbird wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:28 am Targeting? Someone threw out assault on the other thread.

Alot of loaded words after this game which just make some of you sound ridiculous.

I'm not sure what targeting you think was going on, the goalie intercepted the pass and face dodged Melendez, and lost the ball behind him where Russell couldn't have even tell the ball was gone until the goalie was in a pile on the ground grabbing *something*. Not alot of time to think about targeting anything in particular, people can't even agree on What the heck got injured. I've heard ribs, you're talking about an elbow (you don't go down like that in a heap from an elbow or arm injury).

Again the harping on this is ridiculous. If he didn't go down in a heap no one would have thought anything of it.

I was a handful of rows down from the pressbox where the announcers sit and watched the same play. I watched it again after getting home. I know what I saw. Don't give me that crap.
I didn't say that the man committed a crime....I'm telling you what I saw, and what the announcers saw.

And it's not harping------I answered the man's "honest question" same as you. You get to give your opinion, and the rest of us don't?

The goalie stick wasn't anywhere near where he was aiming....how's that? It was physically impossible for that swinging to come anywhere near the goalie's stick. If it was anyone but the goalie---that can't wear armpads-----and the game was over......no one would have given it a second thought.

Hence the flag. You are right...not a huge deal. But a slash with no time left.
Melendez was hacking on his elbow. He went down and got up grabbing his ribs. I've watched it several times and don't see Melendez making contact with his ribs. Goalies don't wear elbow pads, they know they're going to get hacked when they have the ball. The slash call was warranted as there were repeated shots on his elbow, but I'm missing how those shots caused an injury to the ribs.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hard to believe that after falling behind 9-5 in the 3rd - playing on 48 hours rest - against a ranked opponent on 8 days rest - scoring 7 straight to win the game - all that can be talked about is this slash. It WAS a slash no question - he took at least 2 big whacks at the pinata. It was NOT assault. I hope the Delaware goalie is OK - he played a great game. If you are going to talk about that sequence I would rather talk about two aspects that were BAD mistakes IMO on Hopkins part. First, why in the world did Milliman call a timeout? Degnon had the ball - he was under no immediate heavy pressure - no double team - another 5-10 seconds could have gone off the clock before a timeout could have been necessary to keep possession. Instead the Hens get to set the defense and cause a turnover almost immediately. Second what in the world was Melendez thinking? Yes pressure the goalie and make a team who has had trouble clearing exhaust some more time but NEVER EVER do anything that can be construed as a personal foul. You gave a team with a lethal man up 1:03 on the clock. If Kurtz had netted a laser in the first 15-20 seconds then it's lump in the throat time as anything is still very possible. Hopkins was fortunate the first shot went awry and he scored with only 20 seconds or so.

Hopkins must present some issues for defensive coordinators with all the mixing and matching and the return of McDermott with some mobility and English's motor complicates things even more. Without English and McDermott you have 10 guys that have scored at least 6 goals and 11 guys that have taken at least 12 shots. It would seem to me at times you would want Angelus/Degnon/Melendez/Collison/English/Evans or Peshko out there and then you have some personnel that can actually cause slides. Other thoughts:
- I like Ryan Boyle - he may miss some thoughts on personnel but as befitting a player of his caliber he knows the game
- While I am not "down" on Grimes - he is 4th on the team in points and he makes contributions - he should not be leading the team in turnovers and a turnover in each of the last 2 games had undeniably bad optics - getting de-sticked by Navy and trucked over by a short stick last night. He is probably hearing about it today and I hope he responds.
- We probably should have known after discussing Marcille he would have a "meh" game. Ignoring the pole empty netter for stats sake he was 40% and 5 of those 9 were from one player - Kurtz must be tough for a goalie - the velocity is considerable and while his release point seems to be low he can yank it high with frightening accuracy. Twice Marcille dropped to his knees as the ball went sailing just under the cross bar.
- Sorry '06 wrong again - Bauer played his butt off - should have been rewarded with a personal foul after he got trucked late but the kid competed hard.
- I wonder if the Rules Committee can or will consider anything about the throw it over the goal against the 10 man - seems like Hopkins (and of course they are not the only team) got to bail itself out twice with shameless bombs well over the goal.
- Still just blown away by the efforts of Dunn/Mazzone and Hawley
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Six weeks ago Peter Millimen needed to be burned at the stake to get rid of the demons that haunted Homewood Field. Soon, the Peter Millimen coach of the year posts will emerge. :D
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

notentitled wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:05 pm Six weeks ago Peter Millimen needed to be burned at the stake to get rid of the demons that haunted Homewood Field. Soon, the Peter Millimen coach of the year posts will emerge. :D
Welcome to the forum. So it goes
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Fun to read.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:58 am
- I wonder if the Rules Committee can or will consider anything about the throw it over the goal against the 10 man - seems like Hopkins (and of course they are not the only team) got to bail itself out twice with shameless bombs well over the goal.
It is likely to be a topic of discussion but I doubt they do much. You can still lose the ball when you take that shot. See the UMD v. UVA game when UMd did it in the 4th quarter and the UVA defenseman boxed the UMd player out and moved closer to the ball to get ball on the shot.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

notentitled wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:05 pm Six weeks ago Peter Millimen needed to be burned at the stake to get rid of the demons that haunted Homewood Field. Soon, the Peter Millimen coach of the year posts will emerge. :D
No just one village idiot that would have gladly lit the pyre. Some others might have stood around in their robes and looked the other way but wanted plausible deniability. Way too soon for any nonsense like COY. Need to really buckle down and take things one at a time. Pretty easy to see the one most conspicuous thing with the Wolverines. Boehm/Zawanda and Cohen have scored 45 of their 87 goals. In their 3 losses they have scored a combined 12 goals. Make somebody else score and shake their hand at the end of the game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:58 am - I wonder if the Rules Committee can or will consider anything about the throw it over the goal against the 10 man - seems like Hopkins (and of course they are not the only team) got to bail itself out twice with shameless bombs well over the goal.
Yeah I bet this gets sorted out eventually. Seems like an easy fix. If you take a "shot" from your own half of the field, it should not actually be considered a shot. If you want a chance at the back up, the shot has to be taken past the midline.

On the empty netter Delaware scored, it looked to me like Marcille assumed it was going to miss, so he started running to the endline for the backup. But if he ran back toward the cage when the shot was taken, he might have been able to save it.

I am not *happy* Marcille had a meh game but it is nice to know this team can find other ways to win when he has an off day. He was certainly guessing on a few Kurtz rips. That's something where if they had more time to scout maybe he'd have known Kurtz likes those low to high releases. Kind of like a righty Mac O'Keefe.

The entire faceoff crew of Dunn, Mazzone, and Hawley as you mentioned were just fantastic — the best that trio has ever played.

Late in the third quarter I was getting ready to post that Collison finally started to look a bit like a freshman — he had one rough turnover and took a questionable shot or two — but then like clockwork the 4th rolls around and he is pumping in huge momentum goals. The kid has ice in his veins. There's something in the water with these Canadians. I guess when you play in a Minto Cup, a March home game vs. Delaware isn't going to faze you.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”