Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:07 pm hope the delaware goalie is ok.
He’s a solid solid guy, a guy that’s hard not to like,
had to really hustle to get the starting goalie nod,
5th year senior too, so this is it for him.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:16 pm PM has this team believing in itself.

Third game in row, Collison delivers to close out win.

49 GBs. Whew! Ernie will tell us last time that happened.

Getting through this 10 game schedule gauntlet 7-3 is super impressive.

Congrats to English and McDermott getting their first points.

Magnificent job by Dunn. Hats off to Mazzone and Hawley.
And they have been winning in different ways. One night it’s Marcille stealing the win. The next it’s the faceoff crew dominating for possessions. And the Blue Jays picked a good night to unveil their new ride.

Mazzone was spectular. Dunn with 11 gbs and 19-7 on faceoffs.

Blue Jays have won their must-win games. Now comes the B1G conference schedule.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

For a while I thought they were going to waste an all everything game from Mazzone - he was everywhere. Dunn was obviously brilliant as well - Hawley too. This is why its good to shoot the ball - when you're not finding the net at a mid 30s clip and the other goalie is close to 20 saves - some still go in. English is listed at 5'10" 150 - doesn't look that small - he's got a shimmy and a burst that makes people slide. Evans and McDermott had very good games. The Grimes haters will be out in force even though he had a goal and a critical patient assist to Degnon. Let's all give credit to Crawley and Kelly for how hard and resilient this team was tonight.

If they survive a very good Michigan team it will set up the biggest regular season game @ Homewood in quite some time - probably since Homecoming in 2018
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

good
-7-3, whatever the path for a program that's had way too many losses is a huge positive.
-The start was tremendous. They just came out absolutely blitzing
-Coaching. I've wondered here how they figure out who start to among narewski/callahan/dunn and today they absolutely for whatever nailed the choice.
-Mazzone/hawley just incredible work and leadership today.
-Milliman/Crawley. They stayed committed to running a bunch of different guys out there and made adjustments like english who I would have had no idea was on the team except for hf16.
-Grimes. He gets benched and then on manup comes up with a huge assist
-Evans and McDermott. McDermott has had a few very very nice plays since he's been back in the middle of the field and got his goal tonight. Evans is a great story. He's also a bigtime Hopkins L-E-G-A-C-Y which I'm sure drives Daniels nuts given what his group has said about alumni.
-They did a great job finishing, again, and responding to the delaware run.

Down
-Melendez. That was an unnecessary hit on their goalie.
-Bauer not much tonight.
-Offense looked awful during the delaware run. No movement. The Delaware goalie made nice saves, but a lot of them were right into him.
-Too many offensive turnovers and going 25+minutes at home w/out scoring expecially w/dunns effort is just completely unacceptable. This should have been a 17-9 type win given all the extra possessions they had.
-Grimes, you get yanked off attack, it's not a good sign.
-Angelus and Martin looked absolutely gassed for most of the game.
-Marcille-back to reality. I didn't see if verbsfeld was warming up.
-Kurtz-he got his goals. They did not take away the known there.

Others
-student section was empty.
-the uva band frankly saturday made ours sound like a jr high quartet. I get that their hoops team was humiliated and they had some free time. Maybe our guys had dinner reservations.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:39 pm student section was empty.
It's spring break, genius
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

That certainly explains why the band was all but MIA, still a bit surprised none of the kids are local-ish/in town and would've come. Surprising what difference 48 hours makes as they were present and accounted for at Navy.

Either way good win today, got out of the weekend unscathed and onto the next one.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:40 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:39 pm student section was empty.
It's spring break, genius
no shame in working the tinder game and resting up the pipes for the stretch run.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

This staff is willing to try different things instead of stubbornly sticking with something that isn't working.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:25 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:10 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:03 pm That wasn’t necessary at all :(

the game is over.
What wasn’t necessary was Melendez acting the fool. The result is Suzluk getting trucked by Grant.

Another nice close out by the Jays. Again this team feels different
It was bad but they never call slashing on any of these attackmen so they keep pushing how far they can use their stick on the ride. It’s inevitable you’ll get something like this.
Having now gone back and checked the replay after seeing it live he certainly did earn the slash by whacking on the free arm. Vilifying Melendez for it likely a bit much as Kilkeary was protecting his stick with his body and it's not trivial to sort out if he's got his hand on the stick there or not from Melendez perspective. "Whacking the free hand" certainly but I'd be surprised if he didn't think that arm was attached to the stick.

From the way he went down in a heap and stayed there I certainly thought it was a non-contact injury to a knee from the stands though but yeah goalies don't wear elbow pads I suppose.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

the game is over.
What wasn’t necessary was Melendez acting the fool. The result is Suzluk getting trucked by Grant.

It was bad but they never call slashing on any of these attackmen so they keep pushing how far they can use their stick on the ride. It’s inevitable you’ll get something like this.
Honest question (I watched the game on my phone) - was the Melendez slash really that bad? It was definitely a penalty and I definitely hope the goalie is OK, but based on the reply I saw (on a 5" screen) it didn't seem to match Dixon's description to me. I'll go back and watch again, but the game is full of of wild one handers these days and they're rarely called. Maybe this one was less of a "wrap" than most, but guys go hard at goalies when they can. Frankly, I thought the dirtiest play of the game was Kurtz's hit on Smith (?) at the midline - thought that one was high and late and could well have resulted in more than 1 minute.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:30 pm This staff is willing to try different things instead of stubbornly sticking with something that isn't working.
Yep, mixing up lineups, for example.

Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Blue Jays implement a ten-man ride. Not sure tonight was the night to (truly) unveil it, but it was encouraging to see.

Came back to bite them at least once, but I think it paid dividends.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Great that McDermott is back. Huge goal. Kid can play. Hurt a lot this year but when healthy he’s a stud.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

nyjay wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:42 pm

the game is over.

Honest question (I watched the game on my phone) - was the Melendez slash really that bad? It was definitely a penalty and I definitely hope the goalie is OK, but based on the reply I saw (on a 5" screen) it didn't seem to match Dixon's description to me. I'll go back and watch again, but the game is full of of wild one handers these days and they're rarely called. Maybe this one was less of a "wrap" than most, but guys go hard at goalies when they can. Frankly, I thought the dirtiest play of the game was Kurtz's hit on Smith (?) at the midline - thought that one was high and late and could well have resulted in more than 1 minute.
It wasn't that bad. Watched it live from near midfield and just watched it again a foot from a 30" monitor. As you said it was far from the most offensive penalty of the game.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Catbird wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:47 pm

the game is over.

It wasn't that bad. Watched it live from near midfield and just watched it again a foot from a 30" monitor. As you said it was far from the most offensive penalty of the game.
fwiw: on the Delaware thread, the posters are suggesting the goalie was actually injured on the previous play before the TO.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:07 pm

the game is over.

fwiw: on the Delaware thread, the posters are suggesting the goalie was actually injured on the previous play before the TO.
Earlier in the fourth he made a save and you could see him favoring one of his arms or his wrist repeatedly throughout the hopkins offensive possession after it. It appeared Melendez was also targeting that area on that last turnover. I'm not going to speculate but it looked like it wasn't just the hit he took on the turnover and that he may have something from earlier in the period. From the Hopkins end we were lucky a)things didn't escalate and we ended up with a suspension or something from some of the fracases b)that delaware didn't rally. There's also the fact that in the first pass out of a timeout their wounded goalie was able to make the turnover. That does not cut it.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

the game is over.

I agree. I'm not sure why all the comments here. You would think Melendez dealt some sort of intent-to-injure headshot. It looks like he simply checked him in the wrong spot. Crest of the hip; hurts like hell. But there was absolutely no malice in it.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

That was a game where we could have simply mailed it in early in the 3rd. Milliman's teams do not quit.

Great adjustments by Crawley in the second half. Initiating through English and Evans really got the offense working.

How many GBs did Mazzone have? He was everywhere; unbelievable game.

Kurtz? Man, that guy can shoot. Scary. Hopefully the last time we have to face him.
a fan

Post by a fan »

the game is over.

It was obvious that he was targeting the goalie's elbow (stick was in the goalie's other hand) with no time on the clock and up by a few.....more than one try, and the last one hit it right on the button. Clear as day. You hit the gloves on a goalie all day long, and no one will care.

Boys in the booth saw the same thing.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Targeting? Someone threw out assault on the other thread.

Alot of loaded words after this game which just make some of you sound ridiculous.

I'm not sure what targeting you think was going on, the goalie intercepted the pass and face dodged Melendez to put the stick in his other hand, and lost the ball behind him where Russell couldn't have even tell the ball was gone until the goalie was in a pile on the ground grabbing *something*. Not alot of time to think about targeting anything in particular, people can't even agree on What the heck got injured. I've heard ribs, you're talking about an elbow (you don't go down like that in a heap from an elbow or arm injury). Watching it again it was pretty clear the slashes didn't even all land in the same place and there was nothing vicious about it. No windup, hands were separated. Textbook pesky attackman slash, won't disagree with it. There were a lot of slashes and worse in this game; so to single this one out is ridiculous. Not alot of words for Owen Grant and Tye Kurtz attempting to take people's heads off, but ok. :oops: Looked to me like mostly Delaware was having a fit because the bullies didn't like that they were getting pushed around a bit.

Again the harping on this is ridiculous. If he didn't go down in a heap no one would have thought anything of it.

I was a handful of rows down from the pressbox where the announcers sit and watched the same play. I watched it again after getting home. I know what I saw. Don't give me that crap. I feel for the kid, I had to take my own share of a couple EMT rides after a couple lacrosse games/practices in my career. But some of you are looking hard for a villain.
Last edited by Catbird on Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Catbird wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:28 am Targeting? Someone threw out assault on the other thread.

Alot of loaded words after this game which just make some of you sound ridiculous.

I'm not sure what targeting you think was going on, the goalie intercepted the pass and face dodged Melendez, and lost the ball behind him where Russell couldn't have even tell the ball was gone until the goalie was in a pile on the ground grabbing *something*. Not alot of time to think about targeting anything in particular, people can't even agree on What the heck got injured. I've heard ribs, you're talking about an elbow (you don't go down like that in a heap from an elbow or arm injury).

Again the harping on this is ridiculous. If he didn't go down in a heap no one would have thought anything of it.

I was a handful of rows down from the pressbox where the announcers sit and watched the same play. I watched it again after getting home. I know what I saw. Don't give me that crap.
I didn't say that the man committed a crime....I'm telling you what I saw, and what the announcers saw.

And it's not harping------I answered the man's "honest question" same as you. You get to give your opinion, and the rest of us don't?

The goalie stick wasn't anywhere near where he was aiming....how's that? It was physically impossible for that swinging to come anywhere near the goalie's stick. If it was anyone but the goalie---that can't wear armpads-----and the game was over......no one would have given it a second thought.

Hence the flag. You are right...not a huge deal. But a slash with no time left.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”