UNC @ Northwestern 3/19/2023 1:30pm

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Justalaxdad

Re: UNC @ Northwestern 3/19/2023 1:30pm

Post by Justalaxdad »

9th goal for UNC was a dangerous follow thorough - she hit the NU kid. Should have been wiped off and a yellow issued.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Three multi-goal scorers for NU.

One multi-goal scorer for UNC.

Gee, I wonder if anyone else from NU knows how to step up if Izzy Scane is slowed down.
truster49

Post by truster49 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:31 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:25 pm Scane is the Tewaaraton winner
Was thinking the same, it’s hers to lose. Laliberty making the case for the token GK/defender finalist
She's great. I think that GK from d3 to d1 isn't as big of a jump as some people think when you are playing at the level Tufts was/is. There have been some great goalies in dIII.... its a tough position to recruit properly and lots of talent ends up there for many reasons. Ashton Wheatley from Salisbury was invited to try out for the US team. 2x AA and IWCLA GK of the year Zoe Ferguson from Trinity (back a few years ago when Trinity was a d3 powerhouse) I know from my D had multiple d1 offers from top 10 schools but chose d3 for a # of reasons, mostly academics. Ferguson actually was committed to a top 10 team before de-committing for Trinity. Pretty sure Laliberty went to Tufts to major in engineering (hard to do playing d1 lacrosse)
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

truster49 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:57 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:31 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:25 pm Scane is the Tewaaraton winner
Was thinking the same, it’s hers to lose. Laliberty making the case for the token GK/defender finalist
She's great. I think that GK from d3 to d1 isn't as big of a jump as some people think when you are playing at the level Tufts was/is. There have been some great goalies in dIII.... its a tough position to recruit properly and lots of talent ends up there for many reasons. Ashton Wheatley from Salisbury was invited to try out for the US team. 2x AA and IWCLA GK of the year Zoe Ferguson from Trinity (back a few years ago when Trinity was a d3 powerhouse) I know from my D had multiple d1 offers from top 10 schools but chose d3 for a # of reasons, mostly academics. Ferguson actually was committed to a top 10 team before de-committing for Trinity. Pretty sure Laliberty went to Tufts to major in engineering (hard to do playing d1 lacrosse)
And I believe when Laliberty entered the transfer portal, UNC wanted her. Clearly, she's something special.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

What was surprising to me wasn’t the fact the northwestern beat unc. Northwestern has been on a mission all year and scans is getting better and better. Her lefty shot is a legit threat that I don’t remember seeing as much two years ago.

What was most surprising was actually how tough unc played. That is a completely different team than the undefeated team from last year. And they still showed up and played tough and prevented what could have been an embarrassing blowout.

I think cuse and nw are in their own category this year….and unc is probably top of the next group—-which is incredible given the youth of that team. Godine, Miller and Long are looking like their most dangerous offensive threats….two are first years and one has zero goals last year.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Biggest thing Northwestern has shown in recent weeks is they can win the ugly games, not just outscore teams. That hasn't been the case in recent years.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I'm glad that I actually got to watch a game. Don't have my Cable at present, thus I am left with Streaming. Not great with the freezing and lapses, plus you seem to always have to pay to get another channel or service to watch ONE game.

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this game. NU came to play and they were not joking. Two differences for this NU team : the return of Izzy Scane and the addition of Molly Laliberty in Goal. Many of you are probably not familiar with Laliberty before NU, but I was. See what happens when you watch A LOT OF LACROSSE. Hahaha

Terrific win for NU.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:07 am I'm glad that I actually got to watch a game. Don't have my Cable at present, thus I am left with Streaming. Not great with the freezing and lapses, plus you seem to always have to pay to get another channel or service to watch ONE game.

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this game. NU came to play and they were not joking. Two differences for this NU team : the return of Izzy Scane and the addition of Molly Laliberty in Goal. Many of you are probably not familiar with Laliberty before NU, but I was. See what happens when you watch A LOT OF LACROSSE. Hahaha

Terrific win for NU.
NU reminded me of their teams from the late 2000's. Dominant at the draw, crazy offensive options, fantastic goalie play and defense.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Itsallgood wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:40 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:07 am I'm glad that I actually got to watch a game. Don't have my Cable at present, thus I am left with Streaming. Not great with the freezing and lapses, plus you seem to always have to pay to get another channel or service to watch ONE game.

Terrific win for NU.
NU reminded me of their teams from the late 2000's. Dominant at the draw, crazy offensive options, fantastic goalie play and defense.
Regarding the defense: Alexis Venechanos is back with NU, which I was reminded of while watching the broadcast and seeing the sidelines. She was (at least partly) responsible for molding the NU defense at the start of their championship title run.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:08 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:07 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:06 pm Why does Jay have to yell at us?
He might be competing with the PA announcer.
And the odious music between goals?
Two things - the blasting of the music and the flashing lights is some cheesy, annoying stuff ... and Jay is actually becoming quite annoying with his over the top hyperbole.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
LaxAttax9

Post by LaxAttax9 »

Izzy Scane's shot is a laser and her talent off ball this year has been phenomenal. She and Megan Carney's shooting are so fun to watch.

UNC seem to have really big problems with making one hard move to create space. Definitely have to credit the stellar NU defense for part of this, but this has been the case in most of their games. I die inside a little every time #12, #10 and #9 half dodge, reset and repeat when the slide is already almost there. #33 and #12 actually do have a good first step but got no traction yesterday.

To consistently dodge successfully with the "dance and lull" method that they use requires a certain acceleration speed that their assistant coach McCool has, but they don't.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”