North Carolina 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10 10 2

Re: North Carolina 2023

Post by 10 10 2 »

Who gets the unenviable task of guarding the physically imposing Brennan O'Neill? My money is on Barton, who at 6'4 210lbs is the biggest of the starting defenders. He was tasked with guarding Cole Kirst, another big guy, in the Syracuse game. Evan Egan may be a better on-ball defender though. Last year we tried shutting off O'Neill (unsuccessfully,) but I doubt that happens again this year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cole Kirst may be big, but he can't dodge. You put your #1 cover guy on O'Neill or perhaps your #2 if your #1 is more of a speed guy and you think that features better against McAdorey
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

At what point does UNC move on from Breschi? Are they too loyal to an alum to make a change? Year in and year out they have the best talent in the country and under achieve.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:03 am At what point does UNC move on from Breschi? Are they too loyal to an alum to make a change? Year in and year out they have the best talent in the country and under achieve.
A national championship probably gives Breschi the benefit of the doubt. "Year in and year out they have the best talent in the country," hmmmm, very open to debate. Of course, if the Heels lose to Dartmouth tomorrow, Breschi should get the ax Monday.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:03 am At what point does UNC move on from Breschi? Are they too loyal to an alum to make a change? Year in and year out they have the best talent in the country and under achieve.
They will never fire him. 2016, alum status, and top 3 recruiting classes every year is enough.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Duke has better talent.
I saw it all over the field last night.
UVA.
Better talent.

UNC has wins over Syracuse and Johns Hopkins, games they controlled, and a dismantling of Brown.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:15 am
Duke has better talent.
UVA.
Better talent.

UNC has wins over Syracuse and Johns Hopkins, games they controlled, and a dismantling of Brown.
In fairness that was half a brown team they played
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

And are Cuse and Hopkins really top teams?
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Laxter wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:04 am
They will never fire him. 2016, alum status, and top 3 recruiting classes every year is enough.
There it. Always top recruiting classes and never win. 2016 was a fluke. They got hot in the tournament and barely got in that tournament. That was also 7 years ago. It is frustrating to watch a school that recruits itself not be a top 10 team each year.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:22 am
A national championship probably gives Breschi the benefit of the doubt. "Year in and year out they have the best talent in the country," hmmmm, very open to debate. Of course, if the Heels lose to Dartmouth tomorrow, Breschi should get the ax Monday.
Is it debatable though? Always a top recruiting class and they get too guys out of the portal. At some point it lands on the coach.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

dog with a bone, or just trolling?

I think the top 3 recruiting class notion is specious, as I wouldn't put nearly so much weight on what IL claims, but it's fair to say that they get a solid # of good recruits each year, occasionally a true top player or two or three...just like a whole bunch of perennially good/top teams...which UNC is...doesn't make them likely to win national championships, but at least in the hunt. And yes, capable of making that hot stretch run.

If the play on the field is quality (which it is) and the off-field performance of the players avoids embarrassment or better yet is equally "quality", and the coaching staff comports themselves well, then I don't see it likely that an AD would mess with that formula.

I have zero dog in this hunt, though my son is friends with a bunch of the 2016 team players, from HS and club.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

UNCs numbers are lining up as of right now.

They’ll probably have to pull off a top 3 upset in order to stand out in a crowded at-large field.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:15 am dog with a bone, or just trolling?

I think the top 3 recruiting class notion is specious, as I wouldn't put nearly so much weight on what IL claims, but it's fair to say that they get a solid # of good recruits each year, occasionally a true top player or two or three...just like a whole bunch of perennially good/top teams...which UNC is...doesn't make them likely to win national championships, but at least in the hunt. And yes, capable of making that hot stretch run.

If the play on the field is quality (which it is) and the off-field performance of the players avoids embarrassment or better yet is equally "quality", and the coaching staff comports themselves well, then I don't see it likely that an AD would mess with that formula.

I have zero dog in this hunt, though my son is friends with a bunch of the 2016 team players, from HS and club.
💯
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I doubt they will fire Breschi and I'm not sure that they should, but it definitely feels to me like since 2016 they underachieve more often than they don't. Good team in 2020-2021 with Gray and that terrific midfield line of Cook-Anderson-Perry but apart from that it's been a lot of .500 records, last or second-to-last place ACC finishes and missed tournaments. This year is shaping up to be similar. People love to dump on the IL rankings and it's true they absolutely are not gospel and there are issues with them but in general other teams that get that volume of top recruits (Duke, Maryland, Virginia, etc.) have been much more successful. UNC is the outlier.
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:15 am
Duke has better talent.
UVA.
Better talent.

I'd disagree with that characterization of the Hopkins game. Heels deserved to win but it was Hopkins who controlled the game in the first half, led 2-0 after the 1st, 6-3 at halftime, and still led entering the 4th quarter before they fell apart late.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:59 am
FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:22 am
Is it debatable though? Always a top recruiting class and they get too guys out of the portal. At some point it lands on the coach.
Breschi should be given some more lease. UNC was one of the better teams in recent years , thought 21 team may have been the best but not to be .
UNC post Gray n some others was expected to be fourth or fifth in ACC this year , somewhat of a rebuild despite decent remaining talent , other than a floundering offense vin OSU, they are performing as generally expected. Thought they looked very good in 2nd and 3rd quarters lat night , slow start was just too much to overcome
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:23 am UNCs numbers are lining up as of right now.

They’ll probably have to pull off a top 3 upset in order to stand out in a crowded at-large field.
I was wondering last night if they “needed” that one.

I guess no ine recalls the perpetual disappointment of Haus…
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Still the 1st Quarter but it appears that UNC is better than Dartmouth...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Finster

Post by Finster »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:16 pm Still the 1st Quarter but it appears that UNC is better than Dartmouth...

Dartmouth’s FOGO is at 83% so far today, yet Carolina is leading 6-0.

Unreal.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:19 pm Dartmouth’s FOGO is at 83% so far today, yet Carolina is leading 6-0.
9-0...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Breschi needs to clear the bench before Dartmouth does. No need for a brawl.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”