Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 pm I took a quick look (I know stats are deceiving)….Princeton shoots a higher percentage and has less TOs than Cornell. I wouldn’t have guess that.
For stats before today, I'm not suprised. Cornell O came to life today with Michael Long playing for the first time this season plus some juggling of the mid lines.
Yes. Michael Long is excellent. I was just pointing out some little things and the little things can win or lose games. And untimely turnovers can make things appear to be worse than they are. Two weeks in a row Princeton didn’t get a shot with a chance to win due to sloppy possessions at the end of games. Win 2 and its a different feel. Lot of season left.
“I wish you would!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:41 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:24 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:21 pm Handley wins it in overtime,
9-8.
Unproductive end of game situations past two weeks cost the Tigers. Handley delivered when he had to. Good win for Penn.
Unreal shot by Handley at the buzzer.

Princeton's offensive sets/plays are too complicated. The offense runs all over the field and they miss passes on the run and take wild shots.
I took a quick look (I know stats are deceiving)….Princeton shoots a higher percentage and has less TOs than Cornell. I wouldn’t have guess that. Penalty minutes seems to be killing Princeton also….23 minutes in penalties and teams converting 52% of the time. It will cost you in close games.
Yes... my comment was the dreaded "eyeball" measurement I saw too many players stretching to receive passes, and being in a bad position to shoot. I'd note that Princeton has fewer shots on goal than Cornell. This might support my point. Against Penn, Carroll only faced 18 shots on goal. Against Cornell, Paquette faced 31 shots. My comment was intended to be constructive.
Typical Lax Dad

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:09 pm
9-8.
Unproductive end of game situations past two weeks cost the Tigers. Handley delivered when he had to. Good win for Penn.

Princeton's offensive sets/plays are too complicated. The offense runs all over the field and they miss passes on the run and take wild shots.
I took a quick look (I know stats are deceiving)….Princeton shoots a higher percentage and has less TOs than Cornell. I wouldn’t have guess that. Penalty minutes seems to be killing Princeton also….23 minutes in penalties and teams converting 52% of the time. It will cost you in close games.
Yes... my comment was the dreaded "eyeball" measurement I saw too many players stretching to receive passes, and being in a bad position to shoot. I'd note that Princeton has fewer shots on goal than Cornell. This might support my point. Against Penn, Carroll only faced 18 shots on goal. Against Cornell, Paquette faced 31 shots. My comment was intended to be constructive.
Princeton’s is putting 62% of shots on goal and Cornell is 54%. Saris going down and Vardaro being moved to attack because of it has the offense out of sync. Missing that midfield presence (IMO). Still need to win winnable games. It’s been odd because all the games have been competitive. Even the Maryland game was closer than the score would suggest. Strange season. Missing something. Defense has been fine…..The bold is one of my pet peeves and I also pointed that out a few weeks ago.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Individual Performances of Note:

Offense:

Billy Coyle: 8 points (2,6) for Cornell vs Yale
Sam King: 7 points (4,3) for Harvard vs Brown
Sam Handley: 6 points (2,4) for Penn vs Princeton (including GWG)
Teddy Malone: 6 points (4,2) for Harvard vs Brown (Rookie)
CJ Kirst: 5 points (5,0) for Cornell vs Yale

Defense:

Chayse Ierlan: 21 saves (68%) for Cornell vs Yale (42 saves in last two games)
Emmettt Carroll: 10 saves (56%) for Penn vs Princeton
Gavin Adler: 8 GBs, 1 CT for Cornell vs Yale

Other strong performances:

Aiden McLane: 7 points (7,0) for Brown vs Harvard
Michael Gianforcaro: 17 saves (65%) for Princeton vs Penn
Mathew Gunty: 20/27 face-offs (74%) for Brown vs Harvard
Mitchell Meyers: 24/34 face-offs (71%) for Dartmouth vs UNC
Chris Lyons: 3 points (3,0) for Yale vs Cornell
Leo Johnson: 3 points (3,0) for Yale vs Cornell

Updated for Dartmouth vs UNC
Last edited by faircornell on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:19 pm
9-8.

Princeton’s is putting 62% of shots on goal and Cornell is 54%. Saris going down and Vardaro being moved to attack because of it has the offense out of sync. Missing that midfield presence (IMO). Still need to win winnable games. It’s been odd because all the games have been competitive. Even the Maryland game was closer than the score would suggest. Strange season. Missing something. Defense has been fine…..The bold is one of my pet peeves and I also pointed that out a few weeks ago.
Moving Vardaro to attack takes away their best outside shot. I agree that something is out-of-sync. Without attempting to be argumentative, my point is that Princeton does not get enough shots away IMO. Your point about percentages is accepted and correct.
Typical Lax Dad

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:25 pm
9-8.

Moving Vardaro to attack takes away their best outside shot. I agree that something is out-of-sync. Without attempting to be argumentative, my point is that Princeton does not get enough shots away IMO. Your point about percentages is accepted and correct.
I don’t disagree. Just pointing out that the numbers don’t always translate to wins-losses. Not getting enough quality looks and moving Vardaro to attack has eliminated a stretch shooter. It would provide for more spacing. I haven’t seen many step downs.
“I wish you would!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:38 pm
9-8.

I don’t disagree. Just pointing out that the numbers don’t always translate to wins-losses. Not getting enough quality looks and moving Vardaro to attack has eliminated a stretch shooter. It would provide for more spacing. I haven’t seen many step downs.
I agree. While I've got no "dog in the fight" I get frustrated watching a coach squanders resources. Princeton has great talent. Seeing offensive players dancing around with no spacing or understandable purpose or spaced too widely to shoot was a shame. I'm too much of a "homer" to criticize the Big Red. I probably shouldn't criticize the tigers.
Last edited by faircornell on Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:38 pm
9-8.

I agree. While I've got no "dog in the fight" I get frustrated watching a coach squander resources. Princeton has great talent. Seeing offensive players dancing around with no spacing or understandable purpose or spaced too widely to shoot was a shame. I'm too much of a "homer" to criticize the Big Red. I probably shouldn't criticize the tigers.
Just observations.
“I wish you would!”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:21 pm Individual Performances of Note:

Offense:

Defense:

Will update for Dartmouth vs UNC. Suggestions welcomed.
Aidan McLane 7,0 for Brown vs Harvard
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Offense:

Defense:

Will update for Dartmouth vs UNC. Suggestions welcomed.
Updated for McLane
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Except for top-tier Cornell, the rest of the Ivies are clear as mud, with no others separating as yesterday's other two games went OT and this week's OOC team playing today when Dartmouth goes to UNC.

The shakeout continues next week: Penn at Cornell, Yale at Princeton, and Harvard at Dartmouth. Brown is OOC, for a chance to heal up and wind the clock down on the Social Disruptors' suspensions. (OOC games for Bruno are irrelevant- it's IL Tourney championship or bust.)

The first two games above are "the usual suspects" and are as important as they have ever been in the recent past, but I'll be very interested in Harvard/Dartmouth. Johnnie's offensive talent is evident, but the defense is not Byrne-like so far. I know they've been unimpressive at faceoff, but Saturday's game at Brown 'featured' under-40% goaltending. Was this an off day? Or pretty usual this year? Don't forget, the Bears were virtually down to using scout-teamers at Omid. (Hyperbole: yep ;) )
Dartmouth is certainly on the upswing, and is strong at faceoff; assuming they get those extra possessions against Harvard, will they be able to do anything with them?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

At 2-4 I think the pollsters should move Princeton slightly up in the rankings to 16. Remember, they did beat Manhattan and Monmouth convincingly.

On a serious note, the offense once again looked stagnant. I agree with everything said about Vardaro at attack. Makes no sense. The guy has a cannon from up top. And who is that guy wearing Alex Slusher’s uniform? Is he injured? Not the same guy we saw last year.

Would not completely surprise me to see the Tigers pull off a win at home next week against Yale. Been that kind of year. Still early. But it’s getting late fast.
Typical Lax Dad

Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:58 am At 2-4 I think the pollsters should move Princeton slightly up in the rankings to 16. Remember, they did beat Manhattan and Monmouth convincingly.

On a serious note, the offense once again looked stagnant. I agree with everything said about Vardaro at attack. Makes no sense. The guy has a cannon from up top. And who is that guy wearing Alex Slusher’s uniform? Is he injured? Not the same guy we saw last year.

Would not completely surprise me to see the Tigers pull off a win at home next week against Yale. Been that kind of year. Still early. But it’s getting late fast.
Outside of Princeton, do you gave any other Ivy scouts?
“I wish you would!”
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:02 am
Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:58 am At 2-4 I think the pollsters should move Princeton slightly up in the rankings to 16. Remember, they did beat Manhattan and Monmouth convincingly.

You probably wouldn’t guess this, but Princeton is the team I pull for every year in the Ivy League. I have former teammates, friends and kids I’ve coached play at Princeton. I’m just baffled about their play this year-to-date and call it as I see it. They are not currently a top 20 team. But there’s Still time to have a successful season.
Typical Lax Dad

Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:11 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:02 am

You probably wouldn’t guess this, but Princeton is the team I pull for every year in the Ivy League. I have former teammates, friends and kids I’ve coached play at Princeton. I’m just baffled about their play this year-to-date and call it as I see it. They are not currently a top 20 team. But there’s Still time to have a successful season.
I was just asking.
“I wish you would!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Offense:

Defense:

Updated for UNC vs Dartmouth
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Ouch, Dartmouth... so no Ivy will have entered conference play undefeated. Dartmouth gets the opportunity to bounce back quickly, playing at Hampton tomorrow. Hey, is this one of those old-fashioned Spring Break trips where northern schools head south? Also tomorrow, Harvard plays at Boston U. In the Saturday OOC game, Brown visits UMass.

There are some potentially interesting OOC games remaining, including (but not limited to) Cuse at Princeton and Boston U at Yale. Speaking of Princeton and Yale, one of those teams will win next weekend and be feeling better about life, while the losing team will have a steep mountain to climb.

Dartmouth hosts Harvard Saturday.

Cornell with Long looks fantastic, and if the Big Red stay healthy I find it easy to imagine them playing Memorial Day weekend. On Sunday (why Sunday and not Saturday?) Cornell hosts Penn.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:30 am On Sunday (why Sunday and not Saturday?) Cornell hosts Penn.
Moved to Sunday for TV broadcast.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Offense:

Sam King: 7 points (4,3) for Harvard vs Brown (including GWG)

Defense:

POW: Sam King, Harvard
ROW: Teddy Malone, Harvard

Honor Roll:

Peter Blake, Penn (D)
Billy Coyle, Cornell
Sam Handley, Penn
Chayse Ierlan, Cornell
Leo Johnson, Yale
Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth
Cathal Roberts, Princeton (LSM)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:58 am Except for top-tier Cornell, the rest of the Ivies are clear as mud, with no others separating as yesterday's other two games went OT and this week's OOC team playing today when Dartmouth goes to UNC.

The shakeout continues next week: Penn at Cornell, Yale at Princeton, and Harvard at Dartmouth. Brown is OOC, for a chance to heal up and wind the clock down on the Social Disruptors' suspensions. (OOC games for Bruno are irrelevant- it's IL Tourney championship or bust.)

The first two games above are "the usual suspects" and are as important as they have ever been in the recent past, but I'll be very interested in Harvard/Dartmouth. Johnnie's offensive talent is evident, but the defense is not Byrne-like so far. I know they've been unimpressive at faceoff, but Saturday's game at Brown 'featured' under-40% goaltending. Was this an off day? Or pretty usual this year? Don't forget, the Bears were virtually down to using scout-teamers at Omid. (Hyperbole: yep ;) )
Dartmouth is certainly on the upswing, and is strong at faceoff; assuming they get those extra possessions against Harvard, will they be able to do anything with them?
Funny hyperbole, but McLane and Corsi are the real deal...

Junior tender has had two excellent games, but rest way below 50%...Bunch of technique issues...would have to be wondering whether freshman could give them a different level, but we only saw him for a bit in the UVA blow out.

Dartmouth is 'better' than they showed against UNC, but even as a homer, I think Harvard's offense wins...could be interesting at X and I'd expect them to battle...need to be working on beating 10-man!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”