Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by wgdsr »

Bmk2222 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 am
MDralphie wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:06 am Wierman looked banged up a bit against Albany. As noted Murphy limping and no #20 is very worrisome. Will need all in good form for UVA. Young offense is playing better week to week. #10 and #13 getting separation and offense moving better and spacing. Need better team shooting generally. Shorties will need to keep improving this week. And our youngster in goal will need his best game of the year. I do not expect Terps to win this time but if Luke and Ruppel have big games you never know. I know VA is really wants to lay the wood to Terps. Hopefully, our poles will do what they do and keep the scoring to 14 or less, possession advantage, clear well and see what happens.
If so many of our guys are banged up would it make sense to rest them and just let the young guys scrimmage against UVA? then get ready for a Big Ten schedule? If we see UVA again then at that point it’s anyone that can walk plays…..
Just a thought……
that's the type of thing you do when you can expect to win comfortably no matter if several guys are out. if they are cleared, the players will want on the field and so will the coaches.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

I don't see MD winning this one. Maybe in May if we can get there and things tighten up a bit with fatigue, injuries and learning curves.

The scripts have been flipped from '22, with the only difference I see being UVA's goalie right now is below the rest of the team's level of play.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

If Wierman and Geppert and Murphy are all out then yeah, the team is going to lose and lose big. If they’re in, the team has all the chance in the world of winning. Doesn’t mean they will. They’ll be an underdog. Understandably so. But they should have beaten Notre Dame two weeks ago as well. One game is one game. They have the advantage at faceoff and in goal. That’s two/thirds of the way to what you need to pull an upset. Now it’s not all the way. Virginia can shoot the ball better and they’re the better 6-on-6 team as we know. But they also have shown weaknesses defensively. The team is improving offensively. There’s a chance to exploit some weaknesses there if they can win faceoffs and Nunes has a cold day.

If you don’t have Wierman, they’re not gonna win the faceoffs, and if you don’t have Geppert they won’t be able to control the matchups enough to keep within a number they can hit offensively. That’s just not a game that’s winnable. Obviously.

But if not, yeah, they can win the game. It’s hard. But no point in playing defeatist.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

JRN has it right.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Big day for Terps sports. Vs. #1 in lax, vs. #1 in basketball in the tournament. I’d take one out of two. 8-)
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Screw that, I want them both!!

What a game.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

GREAT lacrosse game. Bravo Terps. Brian Ruppel final save: !!!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

MDralphie wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:18 pm JRN has it right.
Yes he does, and happy to acknowledge it. Tillman and the Terps played a perfect strategic game. Can #36 please get recognized as at least a top 3 defenseman in the country???
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:26 pm GREAT lacrosse game. Bravo Terps. Brian Ruppel final save: !!!
8-) Terps will be alright after all this year. I don’t think I can take any more of these nail-biters! Crazy thing is, Terps lose this game, they may actually be at risk of missing the tournament.

The one thing that I thought would lead to an easy UVa win was too much sliding off of Cormier to help out on shorties. And for a chunk of the second quarter the Terps were doing just that. Thankfully they cleaned it up in the second half.

Erksa and Brennan were huge today. It won’t necessarily show up in the box score, but Erksa’s quickness and athleticism, as well as his passing ability and intelligence, really make the Terps offense way more dynamic. And Brennan’s ability to quaterback the team is critical, especially considering that Long keeps having problems with turnovers in key moments (like again at the beginning of OT).

Makar has hogged all the headlines for the Terps D this year, but Zap has quietly had a great year. What a performance again against Shellenberger!

I think Redd has been underrated this year as well. So solid. When we got to crunch time, and the score was 13-13, Tills put him and Lacey out there.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wierman (and his wings) deserves huge credit. It sure looks like he is not 100% the past 2 weeks, and LaSalla dominated early, but Luke is just a warrior. He was a huge part of stopping what looked like a 2nd quarter massacre.

Also, huge props to Geppert. Not sure what kept him out last week, but he was back against the most dangerous offense in the game, and played great.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Also, how about Kolar. Dude didn't even show up on recruiting rankings and he looks like a mini-Pugliese as a freshman.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I think I died half a dozen times during the end of that game. Go Terps
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Was Trader injured? Redd and Lacey seemed to play most of the 4th quarter and OT. Tills even put McDonald at short stick in the second half…
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:42 pm Was Trader injured? Redd and Lacey seemed to play most of the 4th quarter and OT. Tills even put McDonald at short stick in the second half…
He played, but didn't stand out which is not a bad thing as ssdm. Interestingly, Miezan was a ghost in the 2nd half after it looked like he was about to become Paul Rabil junior in the 1st.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

All praise to Ruppel for that last sequence. We may never see the likes of that again. But did you see Makar selling out NHL style trying to block the second of those shots? What a leader! And what about Redd getting the ground ball after the third shot and fighting his way out, while somehow not stepping in the crease with bodies all around him. So impressive.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Miezan is a fine player but he doesn't do anything distinguishable from any of UVA's other 2nd line middies. They've got a lot of great athletes who can run by guys. McIntosh had a huge game against Hop a few weeks ago where he looked unstoppable and was basically a ghost today. Anish and Carc couldn't stop talking about him bc he transferred from Stanford and lacrosse folks always go crazy for someone who played another sport transferring in and any sort of mainstream attention but for that team, he's a fine 2nd or 3rd line guy. I mean, on other teams he'd start and be a good player because they're so deep. But on that team, they have others like him.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:47 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:42 pm Was Trader injured? Redd and Lacey seemed to play most of the 4th quarter and OT. Tills even put McDonald at short stick in the second half…
He played, but didn't stand out which is not a bad thing as ssdm. Interestingly, Miezan was a ghost in the 2nd half after it looked like he was about to become Paul Rabil junior in the 1st.
Yeah - I meant was he injured during the game. I barely saw him in the second half…

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”