Brown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Brown 2023

Post by wgdsr »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:37 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:03 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:53 am sure. the *appeal* part has me assuming, as long as we're speculating, that it wasn't the coach. prefer that it was. but could be talking about the athletic department, also.

p.s. the guys that bought the paint should've gotten the suspension.
:lol: :lol: anyway….any game missed as a college athlete sucks. You can’t get that time back.
If this happened to regular students and not athletes, what would the punishment be?
based on the university's statement, some things:
- punishment was doled out by a university office
- restriction of campus activities
- most likely after a warning or 2 to most or all participants

can't tell if part of the restriction is attending classes vs. maybe getting them virtually. brown has a pretty active scene for about everything, as u probably know. frats, sororities, student gov't, dance, theater, band, work study programs, maybe TA work. there are over 500 clubs and organizations. a bunch i'm sure are mostly in name or not active 24/7, but regular students probably very often connect with student activities.

not said in the statement, but being an athlete also comes with privileges and also under the roof of accountability for representation in that silo. any non-equitable justice may be explained by that in this case.

we can legitimately argue if the punishment fits the crime without knowing all the details, but probably not that anyone was blindsided here. one or both previous instances likely made someone's desk, and it's doubtful everybody just dispersed in each case and nothing ever came about it.

the timing's unfortunate, but it also was to hold another too-late function on the eve of the season with a couple writeups on the sheet. they decided to jump on the f***-around-and-find-out whiteboard, and they did.

the ivy has a long and proud history of not allowing sports to run the institution or be teflon, and rightly so. 4 is better than 6 or 7 games of course, and while it may seem harsh given what we see other places (i'm most recently looking at you, alabama), you can't have your cake and eat it, too. and they're really not comps.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:26 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:46 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:33 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:20 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 am Oh well the townie/schoolie irritant factor has a long and honored history. Nothing cops like better than busting the guys who will one day hollow out cop retirement funds.
you know that cops have to respond when called places, right? it's not their fault the school suspended them.
Sorry, should have used the //s (snark) sign
I thought the new plan was not to send cops to domestic, non threatening calls. I would assume a social type worker would have been dispatched and could have just tucked them in to bed and moved on. ;)
Tucked in the students, or the poutraged East Side money-bunny residents? :D
Back in the Buddy Cianci era, it seems the Providence PD were a bit more lenient on off-campus students (athletes or not) having fun. The Underground also existed, RIP to those dirt cheap on-campus draft beers available to anyone with a student ID...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:53 am sure. the *appeal* part has me assuming, as long as we're speculating, that it wasn't the coach. prefer that it was. but could be talking about the athletic department, also.

:lol: :lol: anyway….any game missed as a college athlete sucks. You can’t get that time back.
If this happened to regular students and not athletes, what would the punishment be?
based on the university's statement, some things:
- punishment was doled out by a university office
- restriction of campus activities
- most likely after a warning or 2 to most or all participants

can't tell if part of the restriction is attending classes vs. maybe getting them virtually. brown has a pretty active scene for about everything, as u probably know. frats, sororities, student gov't, dance, theater, band, work study programs, maybe TA work. there are over 500 clubs and organizations. a bunch i'm sure are mostly in name or not active 24/7, but regular students probably very often connect with student activities.

not said in the statement, but being an athlete also comes with privileges and also under the roof of accountability for representation in that silo. any non-equitable justice may be explained by that in this case.

we can legitimately argue if the punishment fits the crime without knowing all the details, but probably not that anyone was blindsided here. one or both previous instances likely made someone's desk, and it's doubtful everybody just dispersed in each case and nothing ever came about it.

the timing's unfortunate, but it also was to hold another too-late function on the eve of the season with a couple writeups on the sheet. they decided to jump on the f***-around-and-find-out whiteboard, and they did.

the ivy has a long and proud history of not allowing sports to run the institution or be teflon, and rightly so. 4 is better than 6 or 7 games of course, and while it may seem harsh given what we see other places (i'm most recently looking at you, alabama), you can't have your cake and eat it, too. and they're really not comps.
Somebody needs to tell these kids to get off my corner!

Especially Griffin King who I’d rather be playing w my son in our fantasy team than Poitras the way Duke is emasculating them tonight.

BTW, Alabama? How about Urban Meyer and every stop he’s been at including letting Aaron Hernandez’ freak flag fly.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Glad this isn't a home game: weather here miserable. That would be the topper.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Began by watching livestats, Bears held their own early on faceoffs but the readout was constantly "shot wide", "shot high", "shot blocked". I was: well they're not getting their hands free I guess, just open enough to shoot but not effectively, 2 SOG resulting in 2 goals my hope was Krieg would have a stinker andthe Bears would improve some. Hmmmm.
When I eventually watched they did have some open shots early in the game that just were off target, but then it became men against boys. Ground ball numbers were close but it seemed at least many of the Bears GBs were just them recovering their own strips caused by the UNC defense.
Attack: a Dunkin' day.
Lots of guys got experience that will hopefully be useful in the Ivy schedule.
Daly took the bullet in his interview, saying it was on him that the guys weren't properly prepared.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

NC’s defense was not Stony Brook’s….nor was its offense…not sure how close it would have been even if the
1st string was available….2 more penalty games to go (Harvard and Umass)…am optimistic that Harvard can be challenged at home next Sat. …a 1-0 League start before what should be a very serious, committed and remorseful group of seniors return would help in reaching an Ivy Tourney berth…and remedying the sourest of tastes in the mouths of all associated with the program …no, it was not Coach Daly who didn’t have the depleted team prepared - it was the absence of a group of seniors who were expected to be leaders which lead to a non-competitive contest….
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

If the players were in a fraternity, they’d be expelled.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Chousnake wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:35 am

I really don't think so.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:16 am
Chousnake wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:35 am

I really don't think so.
Don't think so either. Not for noise. Given some historical frat activity (speaking in general, no particular institution or frat) administrators would have loved to be dealing with noise issues compared to other stuff.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

The only other team/group at Brown at risk of receiving such harsh punishment for noise violations is the men's hockey team.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

No #10 today 🤨
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

Kelly is a player Brown couldn’t afford to lose in light of all the seniors missing—if it’s an injury that’s really unfortunate for Brown. Entire 1st middie line out.

Not too much to say about the game. Will have to battle hard for ILT. Needed this one.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Won 65% of faceoffs, got 50% from goalie compared to 32% opp goalie, 30gb each team but 19 to vs opp's 8.
I want to give them credit for the really tremendous effort when waaay shorthanded, but this should have been a W given their 2nd half performance when down 3 at the half. 15th Harvard goal too effing easy when a win is at stake.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Brown’s snake -bit season continues with Harvard scoring with a few seconds left in regular time to tie it and then in OT on a dribbler past Thereault ….Brown down to its 3rd string with Kelly somehow injured pre-game…Wertheim injured in-game and FO Gunty playing on one leg miraculously …T needed 17 saves; had 16…Brown almost stole this game….but with the 5 or 6 senior starters still serving 4 game suspensions for staging one too many house parties and the late injuries it was too much to overcome Harvard’s starters ….Coach Byrne extolled Brown’s effort noting so many out and lamented his team’s need for much improvement…Brown needed this one as its 1st string comes back in time for the rest of Ivy play in April - needed to be 1-0 not 0-1…the suspended seniors ( and a Dean’s Office with two too many game suspensions) share the responsibility for the loss…Aiden McLane and Corsi were outstanding…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Counselor wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:49 pm Brown’s snake -bit season continues with Harvard scoring with a few seconds left in regular time to tie it and then in OT on a dribbler past Thereault ….Brown down to its 3rd string with Kelly somehow injured pre-game…Wertheim injured in-game and FO Gunty playing on one leg miraculously …T needed 17 saves; had 16…Brown almost stole this game….but with the 5 or 6 senior starters still serving 4 game suspensions for staging one too many house parties and the late injuries it was too much to overcome Harvard’s starters ….Coach Byrne extolled Brown’s effort noting so many out and lamented his team’s need for much improvement…Brown needed this one as its 1st string comes back in time for the rest of Ivy play in April - needed to be 1-0 not 0-1…the suspended seniors ( and a Dean’s Office with two too many game suspensions) share the responsibility for the loss…Aiden McLane and Corsi were outstanding…
Great fun game to watch
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:18 pm
Counselor wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:49 pm Brown’s snake -bit season continues with Harvard scoring with a few seconds left in regular time to tie it and then in OT on a dribbler past Thereault ….Brown down to its 3rd string with Kelly somehow injured pre-game…Wertheim injured in-game and FO Gunty playing on one leg miraculously …T needed 17 saves; had 16…Brown almost stole this game….but with the 5 or 6 senior starters still serving 4 game suspensions for staging one too many house parties and the late injuries it was too much to overcome Harvard’s starters ….Coach Byrne extolled Brown’s effort noting so many out and lamented his team’s need for much improvement…Brown needed this one as its 1st string comes back in time for the rest of Ivy play in April - needed to be 1-0 not 0-1…the suspended seniors ( and a Dean’s Office with two too many game suspensions) share the responsibility for the loss…Aiden McLane and Corsi were outstanding…
Great fun game to watch
Really was an awesome game to watch, no matter who you were rooting for. But some of the un-caused TOs and late-in-the-shot-clock (or game) H goals were painful to watch. Also some questionable calls by refs, though they did give Brown a makeup call at the end. Would've been great to start conference play 1-0 with a depleted roster. Gunty, Theriault, Corsi and AMclane did as much as could be asked of them. The upside is some guys got valuable playing time in a close game that could come in handy down the road.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

middleAgedBear wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:18 pm
Great fun game to watch
Really was an awesome game to watch, no matter who you were rooting for. But some of the un-caused TOs and late-in-the-shot-clock (or game) H goals were painful to watch. Also some questionable calls by refs, though they did give Brown a makeup call at the end. Would've been great to start conference play 1-0 with a depleted roster. Gunty, Theriault, Corsi and AMclane did as much as could be asked of them. The upside is some guys got valuable playing time in a close game that could come in handy down the road.
I kind of wanted Brown to win for the way they played but son was all in on Harvard since Same King is on our FF team. He hasnt picked siding lines on college teams yet except what I’ve trained him which is Hobart is the best, when playing Syracuse or Cornell look for scalps but otherwise defer to NY over MD schools.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Next two are OOC so a good chance to heal up and get experience deep down the depth chart. Ivy schedule & tourney is all that matters now anyway, no at-large this year.

ETA: Bears are only down 1 starting attackman. They're not getting enough from the other two starters.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Are the suspended players coming back this week? Or next?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:46 am Are the suspended players coming back this week? Or next?
I’d like to know as well though NJ has more at stake…

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”