NCAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: NCAC 2023

Post by FannOLax »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:51 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:31 pm Gotta say, I like the red helmets and shorts in Denison's home uniforms, which I find to be a nice change from the all-whites we've seen for many years. After all, it is the Big Red.
Hey Fann - TBH gonna take some getting used to the white helmets for me! But your very valid point about them being the “Big Red” has moved me in that direction. Thanks!
The Big Red had been wearing all-white for many many years. Part of me wonders if the change is Eric Koch stamping his imprint on the program; sort of like OWU having always worn red jerseys on the road, until Mike Pressler came along and made all-black the norm. Seems clear to me that Denison will learn from that W&L loss.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:57 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:51 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:31 pm Gotta say, I like the red helmets and shorts in Denison's home uniforms, which I find to be a nice change from the all-whites we've seen for many years. After all, it is the Big Red.
Hey Fann - TBH gonna take some getting used to the white helmets for me! But your very valid point about them being the “Big Red” has moved me in that direction. Thanks!
The Big Red had been wearing all-white for many many years. Part of me wonders if the change is Eric Koch stamping his imprint on the program; sort of like OWU having always worn red jerseys on the road, until Mike Pressler came along and made all-black the norm. Seems clear to me that Denison will learn from that W&L loss.
I definitely think he's trying to put his stamp on the program - as well he should. Lots of subtle changes if you look - new helmets, different starting lineup routine. And some not so subtle, like no Mustang Classic. But at the end of the day, it's how the team performs and the seasons' body of work - that is the only "stamp" that matters.

As for learning from the W&L game, I hope they do, and fast! They have Gettysburg coming to Granville soon with a lesson book of their own. Better be prepared!
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

As a new coach, you have to put your own stamp on the program and do what you think is best. I like the newer look with the red helmets and shorts. I'm willing to bet the Mustang classic wasn't his choice, most coaches wouldn't turn that down. Gettysburg isn't in it this year either, no coincidence that they are playing each other the same weekend as the classic. They will certainly learn quick from the W&L game. We're the big red missing a few guys from the lineup on sunday?
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

Denison's helmets are pretty ugly just saying. Nothing like Woosters sheek gold look. Big win for MY Scots over Albion, the NCAC should be on notice this year that we are coming, and we are coming HARD.
I'll put out my own NCAC predictions as I am a sharp.
Denison 6 St Mary 14 (Too much me ball on this team and a true Maryland powerhouse will expose them)
OWU 16 Albright 5 (Bob the Bishop always travels well)
Wooster 29 Alleghany 6 (Feeling they might break the goal record... the Gators will be scared to play a powerhouse NCAC opponent this early in the season)
Wabash 21 Hampton 22 (2OT) (Maybe time to make the jump for the Little Giants?)
Kenyon 14 Adrian 9 (Faceoffs are good for winning good games)
Oberlin 6 Muskingum 3 (Real barn burner potential here)
Wittenberg 12 Otterbein 8 (the Steamer is the hardest place to play in central Ohio)
HIram 1 MT ST Joseph 3 (No need to tune into this one folks, better off painting your cat)
NCAC goes 5-3 on the weekend, need Denison to start carrying their weight as the rest of the NCAC is producing.
Peace and Love,
BD
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

already 3-3 on my picks, pretty good not going to lie. Wabash had them early but couldnt go the distance. But how bout my Scots boys and girls. A team of destiny some are saying. Also good win by the Squirrels, proud of their perseverance. Peace and love kemosabes.
LaxRatinOH2

Post by LaxRatinOH2 »

Bigdawg you missed the snow globe contest yesterday at Hiram as the Terriers eeked out a 11-0 contest.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Denison with a nice road win in the lacrosse "hotbed" of Maryland last night as they best SMCM 14-10. A poster on another thread didn't give the Big Red a chance in this game because he found Denison unimpressive and noted that SMCM's attack was on fire! News flash, the fire has been extinguished without injury! All kidding aside, I didn't see the game myself so any insight on how it played out would be appreciated. I know it was played at Georgetown Prep so not even sure if it was streamed. But the scoreline seems to indicate that St Mary's was certainly up to the task in the first half as they held a 2 goal lead at the break but Denison more than turn the tables in the 2nd half, outscoring Seahawks 10-4 and taking control down the stretch. Good job men.

Go Big Red!

Elsewhere in the NCAC yesterday, I watched the 2nd half of the OWU v Cabrini game. Cabrini wound up winning 12-8 but I will say it looks like the Bishops are starting to gel because they certainly didn't fold and battled to the end. They were certainly in this the whole way. Good job by them. But with that said, I have to be honest, Cabrini did not look good. Not yesterday at least. I saw countless unforced errors on simple throw and catch segments that must have been maddening to the coaching staff! However I will say they do have some excellent shooters because they were beating the OWU keeper like a dirty rug all day with stick side, high placed lasers. The OWU keeper did better on low shots but apparently couldn't see the high cheese at all. Also the Bishops still appear to have problems at the dot - I think they got beat there 70%. But like I said, OWU is looking better and just in time for Conference play.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Kenyon gets some love from Inside Lacrosse:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ff-x/60949
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:02 am Denison with a nice road win in the lacrosse "hotbed" of Maryland last night as they best SMCM 14-10. A poster on another thread didn't give the Big Red a chance in this game because he found Denison unimpressive and noted that SMCM's attack was on fire! News flash, the fire has been extinguished without injury! All kidding aside, I didn't see the game myself so any insight on how it played out would be appreciated. I know it was played at Georgetown Prep so not even sure if it was streamed. But the scoreline seems to indicate that St Mary's was certainly up to the task in the first half as they held a 2 goal lead at the break but Denison more than turn the tables in the 2nd half, outscoring Seahawks 10-4 and taking control down the stretch. Good job men.

Go Big Red!

Elsewhere in the NCAC yesterday, I watched the 2nd half of the OWU v Cabrini game. Cabrini wound up winning 12-8 but I will say it looks like the Bishops are starting to gel because they certainly didn't fold and battled to the end. They were certainly in this the whole way. Good job by them. But with that said, I have to be honest, Cabrini did not look good. Not yesterday at least. I saw countless unforced errors on simple throw and catch segments that must have been maddening to the coaching staff! However I will say they do have some excellent shooters because they were beating the OWU keeper like a dirty rug all day with stick side, high placed lasers. The OWU keeper did better on low shots but apparently couldn't see the high cheese at all. Also the Bishops still appear to have problems at the dot - I think they got beat there 70%. But like I said, OWU is looking better and just in time for Conference play.
Denison won because of faceoff and the goalie play. Hats off to them. SMCM played a great game but came up short
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:28 am
Nosey Ned wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:02 am Denison with a nice road win in the lacrosse "hotbed" of Maryland last night as they best SMCM 14-10. A poster on another thread didn't give the Big Red a chance in this game because he found Denison unimpressive and noted that SMCM's attack was on fire! News flash, the fire has been extinguished without injury! All kidding aside, I didn't see the game myself so any insight on how it played out would be appreciated. I know it was played at Georgetown Prep so not even sure if it was streamed. But the scoreline seems to indicate that St Mary's was certainly up to the task in the first half as they held a 2 goal lead at the break but Denison more than turn the tables in the 2nd half, outscoring Seahawks 10-4 and taking control down the stretch. Good job men.

Go Big Red!

Denison won because of faceoff and the goalie play. Hats off to them. SMCM played a great game but came up short
Thanks Frank - those certainly are 2 things that often lead to W's! I've mentioned here previously that Denison has had strong performances from both positions so far in '23 and those guys will keep them in most games this year. That said, the stats don't necessarily bear that out here. SMCM actually won the FO battle 13-12 and the keeper had only 11 saves. Of course not all saves are equal ... meaning a big save in a crucial point of the game can make a difference and perhaps that's what happened when Denison was on their run of scoring 7 of the first 8 goals starting the 2nd half. He did have 5 of those saves in the critical 3rd Q.

Thanks again for the insight and best of luck to the Seahawks the rest of the way.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Ohio Wesleyan stopped the bleeding from a rough start and scored with under 10 to close the 2nd half, but trails JCU 7-2… :shock: Rut Row.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Congrats to the Big Red! That was a nice win over Gettysburg. What I saw of the game was a reflection of the score. Tight, hard fought and evenly matched.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Great win for the Denison Big Red - 10-9 over #2 Gettysburg. Again FO’s and Goalie, play a huge part in this impressive win.

Be honest Abe - are you still unimpressed with Denison?! :lol: You had them going 0-3 for this last 3 game stretch. Actually they went 2-1 and had W&L on the ropes (winning after 3Q) and let them escape by going inexplicably stone cold in Q4.
Last edited by Nosey Ned on Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:59 pm Great win for the Denison Big Red - 10-9 over #2 Gettysburg. Again FO’s and Goalie, play a huge part in this impressive win.

Be honest Abe - are you still unimpressed with Denison?! :lol: You had them going 0-3 for this last 3 game stretch. Actually they went 2-1 and had W&L on the ropes (wining after 3Q) and let them escape by going inexplicably stone cold in Q4.
Nosey you be me to the punch nice win for Denison. I only saw about 1/2 the game, but FO/Goalie play made the difference. Maybe we will see you in May!
Good Luck in league play.
GO BULLETS!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Laxdds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:44 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:59 pm Great win for the Denison Big Red - 10-9 over #2 Gettysburg. Again FO’s and Goalie, play a huge part in this impressive win.

Be honest Abe - are you still unimpressed with Denison?! :lol: You had them going 0-3 for this last 3 game stretch. Actually they went 2-1 and had W&L on the ropes (wining after 3Q) and let them escape by going inexplicably stone cold in Q4.
Nosey you be me to the punch nice win for Denison. I only saw about 1/2 the game, but FO/Goalie play made the difference. Maybe we will see you in May!
Good Luck in league play.
GO BULLETS!
Thanks DDS. I know rightfully so, all D3 men’s lax eyes are on the Mustang Classic but this was a heck of a game. I hope this matchup becomes an annual affair- 2 great schools and 2 great lacrosse programs. Good luck to the Bullets the rest of the way - and would not be surprised to see both schools “dancing” come May.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

There was a very big “teaching moment” that I hope the Denison coaching staff don’t overlook in the warm glow of the very good win yesterday over the then #2 team in the country. But given the circumstances, I’m very surprised it even comes to pass, so I’m wondering if the Offense mistakenly had the green light.

Denison just scored with 1:55 left in the game to take a 10-8 lead. They win the ensuing face off and gain control of the ball over midfield and call time out with 1:33 left in the game (58 sec left on the shot clock). At this point, I would be telling the team in the huddle that NOTHING is more important now than possession of the ball! We’re obviously going to be faced with enormous pressure but let’s look to take the ball behind GLE and run out the shot clock. If we do that, Gettysburg is down 2 goals with only 35 seconds left in the game. But inexplicably, the Denison player, after successfully escaping the double team but killing only 7 seconds of clock, takes the ball to the hole! It’s an off balance shot stopped by a close defender (the goalie was out of the cage on the press) and turnover to the Bullets. “WHAT?!?!” I’m screaming at the TV…..

Gettysburg successfully clears, calls their own timeout and immediately score of course with 1:00 minute left in the game. Denison now only up by 1 and back to the dot!

Unfortunately a turnover after the ensuing Denison FO win, allows Gettysburg another look at the goal - but a blocked shot and a Gettysburg TO of their own, thankfully gives possession back to Denison with 9 seconds left. After another DU timeout, a correctly launched skyward pass down to the Gettysburg goal crease, eats the 9 seconds. Game over - PHEW - I’m too old for this $h!t !!!! Haha

Shouldn’t have unfolded that way in my opinion. Let’s clean that up for next time please!
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Be honest Abe - are you still unimpressed with Denison?! :lol: You had them going 0-3 for this last 3 game stretch. Actually they went 2-1 and had W&L on the ropes (winning after 3Q) and let them escape by going inexplicably stone cold in Q4.
Sorry ned, Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings with my “opinion”. Great win over Gettysburg.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

AbeFroeman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:52 pm

Sorry ned, Didn’t mean to hurt your feelings with my “opinion”. Great win over Gettysburg.
Haha no worries Abe. I enjoy your insights. I really just wanted to use my “honest Abe” quip as much as anything. Truth is, when those of us who do put our “opinions” on a thread, we open ourselves for good natured ribbing. It’s what we do. And that’s ok!

Please continue your interest in the NCAC thread. We could use some fresh opinions. Who knows, maybe the Big Red will win you over if they haven’t already.

It’s the trolls that just throw shade or make snarky comments without ever offering an opinion of their own or being additive to the conversation, those are the ones that should be ignored and not replied to.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:16 pm
AbeFroeman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:52 pm

Haha no worries Abe. I enjoy your insights. I really just wanted to use my “honest Abe” quip as much as anything. Truth is, when those of us who do put our “opinions” on a thread, we open ourselves for good natured ribbing. It’s what we do. And that’s ok!

Please continue your interest in the NCAC thread. We could use some fresh opinions. Who knows, maybe the Big Red will win you over if they haven’t already.

It’s the trolls that just throw shade or make snarky comments without ever offering an opinion of their own or being additive to the conversation, those are the ones that should be ignored and not replied to.
I might respect them, but I won’t be cheering or them. My heart is with another team
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Got a chance to watch Oberlin play Kean yesterday, well coached, tough team with a very good goalie. They brought a crowd to NJ as well which was surprising. I think they will do well in-conference this season.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”