Mustang Classic

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Hacker

Re: Mustang Classic

Post by Hacker »

Really strong production by Stevie, fun to watch good camera work. Better than some ESPN+ games.
Hacker

Post by Hacker »

SL may challenge RIT this year for the LL.
smoova

Post by smoova »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:01 pm Guess it wasn’t the snow.
Oof ... savage.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

I was as wrong as SVB securities hedging dept..
FO and clears soft. Young attack can’t handle the heat. Thought they turned a corner vs. Stevenson but outmatched and exposed by northern grit.
Well done St. Lawrence.
fanOlax

Post by fanOlax »

Cameras are a little excessive. Just have 1 good quality shot. RIT CNU game camera has been brutal to start
Last edited by fanOlax on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

fanOlax wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:55 pm Cameras are a little excessive. Just have 1 hood quality shot. RIT CNU game camera has been brutal to start
Camera man can’t keep up to how fast these two teams play :lol:
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

56 v 8% in goal is story of this game
richard

Post by richard »

Great to see Mahoneys meat grinder back in action. The Bates game could be a trap game. I doubt it but they are not as bad ad their record.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Having watched way too many big D-III games that had complete morons/homers/both on play-by-play, shoutout to Stevenson for the broadcasts today. Every game I’ve been able to check in on has been great to watch and felt like a legit event.
Olddawg83

Post by Olddawg83 »

I maybe be wrong here but in the last 3 contests against teams from the north region Lynchburg is 0-3 losing to Tufts, Saint Lawrence and WNE in last year’s tournament. When will lacrosse media stop giving biases to teams in the south?
richard

Post by richard »

One small beef with Stevie. The lines that they use are the black lines. The restraining lines have black lines along side of the white football lines but the midfield line is only the white football line with nothing black to delineate that it is midfield. Players were having trouble with that and there were a lot of offside calls that might not have happened if there was a clear midfield line.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Stevenson over Dickinson 15-14 in OT
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
ColonelFastBreak

Post by ColonelFastBreak »

You really have to hand it to Coach Cantabene today. Stevenson was as well prepared this evening as I think you'll see a division 3 team this year. I think it is fair to say they were at a talent disadvantage, but they played a better game overall. They were tougher between the lines, they rarely took unwise shots (making Brandau's 13 saves actually quite impressive, despite the 15 GA) and they forced Dickinson into impressive displays of individual skill in order to score goals (something Dickinson did quite often actually, though they didn't play much team offense or team defense).

To clarify, I don't want to give the impression that Stevenson isn't one of the more talented teams in D3 (Top 20 seems right). It's just that Dickinson is more talented. They have bigger, faster and more skilled players. It's a marginal difference, but a difference nonetheless, so a bunch of credit has to go to Coach Cantabene and to the players for executing a smart plan.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

ColonelFastBreak wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:30 pm You really have to hand it to Coach Cantabene today. Stevenson was as well prepared this evening as I think you'll see a division 3 team this year. I think it is fair to say they were at a talent disadvantage, but they played a better game overall. They were tougher between the lines, they rarely took unwise shots (making Brandau's 13 saves actually quite impressive, despite the 15 GA) and they forced Dickinson into impressive displays of individual skill in order to score goals (something Dickinson did quite often actually, though they didn't play much team offense or team defense).

To clarify, I don't want to give the impression that Stevenson isn't one of the more talented teams in D3 (Top 20 seems right). It's just that Dickinson is more talented. They have bigger, faster and more skilled players. It's a marginal difference, but a difference nonetheless, so a bunch of credit has to go to Coach Cantabene and to the players for executing a smart plan.
This is Dickinson vs Stevenson we’re talking about. Huge credit to Stevenson but let’s not act like Dickinson has that much more talent than them. Stevenson is a very talented team and if these teams played ten times it would probably be 50/50. Dickinson did just come off a 2 goal victory over Illinois Wesleyan which was a game they probably should have lost…..
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Here‘s to Stevenson! Fantastic day of lacrosse.
Check out the coaches interviews! All class.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

MDlacrosse45 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:24 pm
ColonelFastBreak wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:30 pm You really have to hand it to Coach Cantabene today. Stevenson was as well prepared this evening as I think you'll see a division 3 team this year. I think it is fair to say they were at a talent disadvantage, but they played a better game overall. They were tougher between the lines, they rarely took unwise shots (making Brandau's 13 saves actually quite impressive, despite the 15 GA) and they forced Dickinson into impressive displays of individual skill in order to score goals (something Dickinson did quite often actually, though they didn't play much team offense or team defense).

This is Dickinson vs Stevenson we’re talking about. Huge credit to Stevenson but let’s not act like Dickinson has that much more talent than them. Stevenson is a very talented team and if these teams played ten times it would probably be 50/50. Dickinson did just come off a 2 goal victory over Illinois Wesleyan which was a game they probably should have lost…..
I agree on this. I never thought Dickinson was a top 10 team. Probably in the 15-25 range. Very similar team to Stevenson. Although I think Stevenson is a better team this year and not surprised by the outcome.

Overall yesterday, no big surprises. I thought Amhearst would win by more. I didn’t think Lynchburg would lose that bad. The rest of the games went as expected.
ColonelFastBreak

Post by ColonelFastBreak »

AbeFroeman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:39 am I never thought Dickinson was a top 10 team. Probably in the 15-25 range.
You had them 8th in your last Forum Poll. This was effective misdirection.
MDlacrosse45 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:24 pm Stevenson is a very talented team and if these teams played ten times it would probably be 50/50. Dickinson did just come off a 2 goal victory over Illinois Wesleyan which was a game they probably should have lost…..
This will just have to be a point of disagreement (that they are similarly talented, not the score of Dickinson's IWU game). There are a few things that I'd point out: 1) Dickinson, unlike Stevenson, has made a habit of winning close game over the past year and a half (Dickinson is 9-1 and Stevenson is 3-6), while playing similarly strong schedules (Dickinson's might be stronger because of Stevenson's conference play). 2). Both teams have their share of "IWU games" in which they seem to play down to inferior opponents (see Dickinson vs Roanoke as well as Stevenson vs Eastern 2022). 3) Dickinson passes my eye test more than Stevenson.

The third thing is entirely subjective, so take it for what it is worth. My original point was that a team that has had a habit of dropping close games and is not necessarily known for its discipline (Stevenson) showed up and played a very, very clean, team-oriented game (9 A on 15 G) against a team that "looked" like a better group of individuals. With that in mind, credit to the coaching staff and to the players at Stevenson.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Dickinson was undefeated. Of course they should have been ranked ahead of teams with 2/3 losses. But after this weekend, with (likely ) 2 losses, I doubt anyone will have them ranked above 15. They might even drop out of the top 20
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

AbeFroeman wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 am Dickinson was undefeated. Of course they should have been ranked ahead of teams with 2/3 losses. But after this weekend, with (likely ) 2 losses, I doubt anyone will have them ranked above 15. They might even drop out of the top 20
You had Dickinson ranked above undefeated Middlebury, St. Lawrence, Cortland and above one loss Amherst, Bowdoin, W&L, Denison. Looks pretty clear you thought they were a Top-10 team.
Notgoodatlax

Post by Notgoodatlax »

Hard to think Dickinson drops too much in rankings - right? Excellent game against CNU despite the outcome.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”