Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by OCanada »

Well you got me. My memory was wrong on Jerry’s leaving but it is immaterial really. He retired.

But basically you refute nothing save my confusion over Jerry’s retirement. The rest of your rebuttal is missing. Did you forget something substantive???

And how fo you know that Rambo is false? Did someone tell you. What is your basis? I doubt you will answer though.

My basis? I was in the Athletic Center preparing to go to lunch when I learned about it.

Never thought much about it after. But it sure has created a lot of wasted energy ftom my perspective. Way more than it deserved, sonething deeper seems to be triggered.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:44 am
Why are we talking about a guy who went to Maryland and committed 13 years ago when clearly there are more urgent topics, say, like the change in goalie warm-up routine and personnel that has taken us from goaltending backwater to goaltending powerhouse?
OMG can't mention goalie warm-ups on this thread. You'll get ten pages of arguments lol.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I know the Rambo story is true. They did not take his transcripts to admissions. People can question it all they want. I also know when Maryland won the staff used Heacock and Rambo as examples of guys that could not get past admissions and examples of handcuffs on the program.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:08 pm I know the Rambo story is true. They did not take his transcripts to admissions. People can question it all they want. I also know when Maryland won the staff used Heacock and Rambo as examples of guys that could not get past admissions and examples of handcuffs on the program.
Hopkins has metrics to worry about for US News and World Report.
Just like the train companies had metrics about how fast and often the trains had to run.
Safety be damned. Ditto Hop Final Fours.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:13 pm
flalax22 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:08 pm I know the Rambo story is true. They did not take his transcripts to admissions. People can question it all they want. I also know when Maryland won the staff used Heacock and Rambo as examples of guys that could not get past admissions and examples of handcuffs on the program.
Hopkins has metrics to worry about for US News and World Report.
Just like the train companies had metrics about how fast and often the trains had to run.
Safety be damned. Ditto Hop Final Fours.
The success of the lacrosse program and the media attention and boost in fundraising from 1-2 dozen recruits offsets any transcript or other losses. It'll make the other psych, history, poli sci and econ majors that much happier that the grading curves are a joke. We're not going to fall below Cornell or Brown because PM has a 2.1 gpa top 5 attackman more interested in bushels of tik tok cuties than calc bc or crushing his Modernist Art final.

51 makes a good point about Navy. We've seen consistently that when this team can't score and or win faceoffs it's got 2-3 quarters before the defense and goaltending just gives out. If we had a lacrosse media they'd have stories about PM having Narewski/Dunn/Callahan all capable and how he and his team figure out who to play and how.

Old friend Deans also has re-emerged. Great to see kids work their way back into the lineup.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Revising the FanLax letter grade down from a C+ to a D due to this braindead topic that, paradoxically, will not die.
jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:41 pm If we had a lacrosse media they'd have stories about PM having Narewski/Dunn/Callahan all capable and how he and his team figure out who to play and how.
Do you actually *watch* the games or do you just sit in front of the TV in a trance like the kid in Poltergeist?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Predictions for Friday evening at Navy? If things keep going in the same pattern, I say Hopkins wins big.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:10 pm Predictions for Friday evening at Navy? If things keep going in the same pattern, I say Hopkins wins big.
I predict Navy delivers their best game of the season and falls short to Hopkins 14-9.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:24 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:10 pm Predictions for Friday evening at Navy? If things keep going in the same pattern, I say Hopkins wins big.
I predict Navy delivers their best game of the season and falls short to Hopkins 14-9.

DocBarrister
Wow! That shows Navy Lax is having serious issues.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:39 pm

DocBarrister
They just lost by 9 to Colgate. They're already having issues.

A team with its back against the wall is always dangerous and should never be overlooked. Not to mention, the Mids stole one from us last year at Homewood in a game the Jays led with like 4 minutes left. We owe them one. Jays should enter with a little bit of a chip on their shoulder even though they're technically the road favorites.

Nice rundown from Xanders of the top 10 high school teams in the country. Lots of future Blue Jays represented on Culver, Lawrenceville, St. Anthony's, Salisbury, and Taft: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/60947
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:35 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:39 pm

DocBarrister
They just lost by 9 to Colgate. They're already having issues.

A team with its back against the wall is always dangerous and should never be overlooked. Not to mention, the Mids stole one from us last year at Homewood in a game the Jays led with like 4 minutes left. We owe them one. Jays should enter with a little bit of a chip on their shoulder even though they're technically the road favorites.

Nice rundown from Xanders of the top 10 high school teams in the country. Lots of future Blue Jays represented on Culver, Lawrenceville, St. Anthony's, Salisbury, and Taft: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/60947
That is what I was saying. Of course, Navy is already having issues. They had them before Colgate. They lost at home to Manhattan. And they also lost to both Lehigh and High Point. With the talent they have, they need to beat at least one of those last two teams I mentioned. I think the chip on their shoulder due to last year, and because, unlike Navy, the Jays still have hopes for an at-large bid to the postseason, they come in focused, hungry, and poised. In addition, they are hungry, especially after last weekend, to show that they can also win games by playing some solid offense.
ExLax

Post by ExLax »

[ Navy is already having issues. They had them before Colgate.
[/quote]

Agreed, Navy is melting as shown with 'gate. Hopkins 16-8 and lets hope for all staying healthy as PL looms...........
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Tim Marcille, IL Player of the Week:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ille/60950
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:54 am Tim Marcille, IL Player of the Week:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ille/60950
He's so easy to root for. It's depressing that he was on the bench all last year.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister
Boy there's some unwarranted hubris for the lacrosse Gods to chew on. It's fine to think these two teams are in different places and that Hopkins might be favored. It's quite another to think that you can have Navy play its best and still get spanked by 5 goals. I can remember back in 2012 going to USN-MC thinking the at one time #1 ranked Blue Jays might have a walk in the park against a 5-6 Navy team and they were embarrassed 8-2 and came achingly close to being shut out. The Zach Palmer goal could have been waived off for in the crease and the only other goal was from Greg Edmunds = SSDM - with 2 minutes left in the game. Throw in John Greely's 2nd ACL tear in that game and it was certainly one of the worst days for a Petro coached Hopkins team. This Hopkins team had some success in defeating a well regarded Jacksonville team and at the time a highly ranked Georgetown team - followed that up with a very competent first half against Carolina - didn't handle the success and finish the job. Fatigue and injuries likely played a role. Now they have 3 consecutive games where they are not talent deficient to the other team IMO. On Sunday they have to deal with the fatigue issue but not Friday. If they have any thought they can roll the ball out and win this game - they will lose. Then - my harp - but Hopkins style of play is not necessarily condusive to beating teams by 5 goals - especially if they are playing their best - if they do not best their average shots per game of 36 - they have to shoot pretty much 40% to get to 14. Not impossibe but not easy either. ANd also - a very shot happy Navy team - if they get to averages - will show Marcille at least 25 shots he has to get in front of. Win face-offs - don't turn the ball over and they should be in decent shape.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:11 am If they have any thought they can roll the ball out and win this game - they will lose. Then - my harp - but Hopkins style of play is not necessarily condusive to beating teams by 5 goals - especially if they are playing their best - if they do not best their average shots per game of 36 - they have to shoot pretty much 40% to get to 14. Not impossibe but not easy either. ANd also - a very shot happy Navy team - if they get to averages - will show Marcille at least 25 shots he has to get in front of. Win face-offs - don't turn the ball over and they should be in decent shape.
I think it's a game Hop should win. But there's been a fair number of games over the last few years where they haven't won those types of games. I do think this year's team is a little different though and so I think they pull it out. I think with injuries, Navy is a little bit offensively challenged, but I think they'll put in a good defensive effort, leading to a fairly low scoring game. Bookmakers have it at Hop -5, with the O/U at 23.5 (which lines up perfectly with Doc's guess). I'd guess Hop to win but not cover and the under, 12-8.

PS - to go back to the importance of good goaltending, Navy lost to Colgate 17-8. Looks like a total blowout, no? But then look at the goaltending stats - Navy 4 (!) saves on 19 SOG (not sure how that math works, given Colgate scored 17, but that's what the IL box says); Colgate - 21 saves on 29 SOG. Navy also won 64% of the FOs. So, while I didn't watch the game, I'm guessing Navy was a lot better than that 17-8 score would indicate.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:11 am

DocBarrister
Boy there's some unwarranted hubris for the lacrosse Gods to chew on. It's fine to think these two teams are in different places and that Hopkins might be favored. It's quite another to think that you can have Navy play its best and still get spanked by 5 goals. I can remember back in 2012 going to USN-MC thinking the at one time #1 ranked Blue Jays might have a walk in the park against a 5-6 Navy team and they were embarrassed 8-2 and came achingly close to being shut out. The Zach Palmer goal could have been waived off for in the crease and the only other goal was from Greg Edmunds = SSDM - with 2 minutes left in the game. Throw in John Greely's 2nd ACL tear in that game and it was certainly one of the worst days for a Petro coached Hopkins team. This Hopkins team had some success in defeating a well regarded Jacksonville team and at the time a highly ranked Georgetown team - followed that up with a very competent first half against Carolina - didn't handle the success and finish the job. Fatigue and injuries likely played a role. Now they have 3 consecutive games where they are not talent deficient to the other team IMO. On Sunday they have to deal with the fatigue issue but not Friday. If they have any thought they can roll the ball out and win this game - they will lose. Then - my harp - but Hopkins style of play is not necessarily condusive to beating teams by 5 goals - especially if they are playing their best - if they do not best their average shots per game of 36 - they have to shoot pretty much 40% to get to 14. Not impossibe but not easy either. ANd also - a very shot happy Navy team - if they get to averages - will show Marcille at least 25 shots he has to get in front of. Win face-offs - don't turn the ball over and they should be in decent shape.
This was a very very good post. After years of humiliation, losing, adversity and trying to claw back to relevancy can they handle success?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

We went into this weekend last year thinking we could win both games, and we lost them both. This year's team is better but it's still a challenging weekend. Winning in Annapolis is never easy and then turning around two days later to play a solid and well-rested Delaware team — that sounds like a tossup honestly. Not trying to sandbag as I really do think leaving this weekend 2-0 is not gonna be a walk in the park. If they manage that then that'll be another sign this team is improved. Entering B1G play at 7-3 would be huge. They'd be wise to stay focused on Navy and only Navy, and not look ahead to Sunday like I am right now.

Noticed Phillips has been dressed the last game or two but did not play — not sure if he's still working his way back from injury or if that's been a strategic decision but between that and English in street clothes again after a cup of coffee against Utah, it's clear the injury bug hasn't fully been squashed. We get one middie back and another drops. On the brighter side Glassmeyer was on the sideline and in uniform (albeit with some kind of brace on his ankle) vs. Syracuse. I don't know if he's an option to actually play but that's got to be good for the kid's morale. Like Narewski, he's been through a lot.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister
Exactly. This has all the makings of a 8-6 type of game for numerous reasons:
1) it is at Navy on a Friday night under the lights. Navy has struggled this year but will look at beating Hopkins as a way to correct the season and prepare for the rest of the conference schedule.
2) Hopkins is coming off of 2 big rivalry games. Not that Navy isn't but it is hard to get up for 3-4 Navy team after sort of competing against the number 1 team in the nation and Hopkins biggest rival - SU. A let down could occur
3) This is Hopkins and for the last 5-6 years, they seemed to not have been able to handle success very well (not that there has been a ton of success). But, Navy is the type of team that Hopkins should handle but hasn't lately.

Has all the makings of a trap game in my view.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister
If both Navy and Hopkins bring their “A” game, the Blue Jays will win by 5.

But this is Navy at Navy, so ….

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”