Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DerArzt

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by DerArzt »

I used to be able to view some Hopkins games via internet on my laptop, but lately it looks like I have to subscribe to ESPN+ to watch any games. Is there a way to see Hopkins play without subscribing?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DerArzt wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:26 pm I used to be able to view some Hopkins games via internet on my laptop, but lately it looks like I have to subscribe to ESPN+ to watch any games. Is there a way to see Hopkins play without subscribing?
It's $10 a month and you get to watch the entire sport basically plus a bunch of other leagues. I didn't want to do it but I'm enjoying it. We should never ever be on btn+ again. No reason we should be on the hook for that.

We need to sweep this weekend and a 3-2 conference regular season record to go into the big ten tournament thinking we're OK for selection sunday. PM absolutely has to crack the osu/rutgers/maryland triangle of terror. First there are 2 tough ones this weekend.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Can't really put too much stock in it right now. OSU's metrics probably look amazing because half of their games are against UVA, ND, and Cornell. If they don't rack up any wins they're going to come down.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:20 pm Let's put a few true statements on the board along with some logic and maybe this Rambo conjecture goes away - but of course it won't.
- The first published statement of his commitment to MD was August/September 2011 which means his recruitment primarily occurred in 2010/2011
- This means that we are 5 years prior to the wicked witch of the East Alanna showing up and Calder is firmly in place as AD - Mr. Schnydman was present on campus as well - the only one gone from Petro's support system was Brody but Daniels was only on the job for between a year and two years so hopefully he had better things to do than think about how to mess with the lacrosse team. So 2 primary figures in Petro's universe were present and accounted for
- Rambo attended a public school north of Philly not terribly far from the Main Line in Abington his freshman year and then transferred to LaSalle College High School his sophomore year
- Last time I checked one did not take SATs or ACTs in their sophomore year so Rambo's transcript was comprised of one year in a decent public school that allowed him to transfer to a Catholic college prep school and then one year at the college prep school - from which he graduated
- At almost the exact same time - July '11 Hopkins took a verbal commitment from a lacrosse player who advertised a fairly pedestrian GPA from a public school of no special reknown (and way below a Hopkins normal admission GPA by the way) on his own lacrosse recruiting video.
- Then there's the nature of the man himself - you expect me to believe David Pietramala just threw his hands up and said - we won't even try - when one of the true generational players wants to come to Hopkins? He would have begged/borrowed and come as close to stealing as he could if he thought he could get Matt Rambo. He would have sat in the admissions office and held a hunger strike. He would have taken the verbal and figured it out.
- Then of course there are all the LaSalle parents who told me he wanted a bigger school - so there's that.

This is classic Chewbacca Defense - makes no sense
For those of us who don't know Petro (and frankly working for Gait at cuse short of an A tier head coaching job seems like a dream scenario for him) and these other folks personally the only continuing interest we have in that stuff is A)Whether PM and the program are getting everything they can from the university and B)If the lack of support for the program is part of a broader Daniels admin agenda that has targeted alumni, applicants, students and policies that don't fit a certain vision he has for the university and world.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 am both games this week are on espn+? even though quint only mentioned the delaware game being on the 4 letter family of networks. The big ten road games also look like non btn+ affairs so we are clear on the tv the rest of the way I think.

Navy has its games on the radio. I think Hopkins used to have radio broadcasts but that ended, quietly a few years ago.
Larry Quinn did color. At some point after video became available to me, I would put the video feed on mute and endured the lag just to hear him (at that point, I think the radio station was part of what was called ESPN Radio). I cannot remember the play-by-play guy, but he was pretty good as well.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
molo

Post by molo »

I don’t have cable, dish, etc. From March through May I subscribe to Hulu, which allows me to screen all espn networks on computer and phone. You can subscribe by the month.
cbrass

Post by cbrass »

I believe Scott Garceau did the play-by-play on 1300 am for HOP lacrosse.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:18 pm
steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:32 am
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:31 pm Disagree. I don't remember anybody "roasting" anybody. It's been well positioned that Petro and Daniels were likely not breaking bruschetta down at Sammy's together. 2013 had alot to do with it. It is also a fact that Petro's sideline behavior was not great - if you sat near the Hopkins bench you could hear everything. But SteelHop is 1000% correct - it's a combo effect. If he was still winning 78% or something thereabouts like he did between 2001 and 2008 and in the quarters every year and some final 4s in some - the alumni support would have been significant and he would still be there if he wanted to be. Having that percentage drop to something closer to 55% with one final four since '08 - the 4 worst play-off losses in Hopkins history (UVA '09, Duke '10, Brown '16, Duke '17) - a 1-4 NCAA playoff record since '15 and a 2-4 record in '20 with the only wins against an 0-6 Towson team and a OT thriller against the Mt had a very important role in the end result.
If Petro was going regularly to FFs and competing for titles, his contract would have been renewed. You know why I say that because history completely demonstrates this is what happened. Petro made the FF in 2015 and had his contract renewed in 2016.
That is actually a laughable argument. You do know about the change in ADs right? You do know that the AD in 2016 made Petros contract extension somewhat of a parting gift.
So you are just cutting off part of my comment in the 2nd paragraph that one could easily infer changes in AD's office and the fact several of the big backers of the program have passed away. So, yes, I am aware of that issue but I also support that if he was winning he would still be on the side lines. Do you really think if Petro was winning titles and/or making FF's he'd have been fired because of his behavior on the side line was upsetting Daniels? Please. (Now, tinfoil hat time - Do I see a scenario where Daniels made it harder for Petro to get recruits in? sure but I doubt that is a realistic outcome given how much Petro was into ER at the time).

What coach could Hopkins have hired if Hopkins canned a guy competing for titles. There was already outrage by the Petro backers back in 2020 even though it was clear it was time for him to go.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:20 pm Let's put a few true statements on the board along with some logic and maybe this Rambo conjecture goes away - but of course it won't.
- The first published statement of his commitment to MD was August/September 2011 which means his recruitment primarily occurred in 2010/2011
- This means that we are 5 years prior to the wicked witch of the East Alanna showing up and Calder is firmly in place as AD - Mr. Schnydman was present on campus as well - the only one gone from Petro's support system was Brody but Daniels was only on the job for between a year and two years so hopefully he had better things to do than think about how to mess with the lacrosse team. So 2 primary figures in Petro's universe were present and accounted for
- Rambo attended a public school north of Philly not terribly far from the Main Line in Abington his freshman year and then transferred to LaSalle College High School his sophomore year
- Last time I checked one did not take SATs or ACTs in their sophomore year so Rambo's transcript was comprised of one year in a decent public school that allowed him to transfer to a Catholic college prep school and then one year at the college prep school - from which he graduated
- At almost the exact same time - July '11 Hopkins took a verbal commitment from a lacrosse player who advertised a fairly pedestrian GPA from a public school of no special reknown (and way below a Hopkins normal admission GPA by the way) on his own lacrosse recruiting video.
- Then there's the nature of the man himself - you expect me to believe David Pietramala just threw his hands up and said - we won't even try - when one of the true generational players wants to come to Hopkins? He would have begged/borrowed and come as close to stealing as he could if he thought he could get Matt Rambo. He would have sat in the admissions office and held a hunger strike. He would have taken the verbal and figured it out.
- Then of course there are all the LaSalle parents who told me he wanted a bigger school - so there's that.

Except be did regardless what ever the motivation. He would not have been the first player taken w below standard credentials sone of whom are now in the HOF, won titles, and graduated on time.

It seems reasonable he could not get accepted or decided he made a mistake or wanted another school all along. Inductive reasoning often leads to poor results.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HF posted it the other day but it's still an accomplishment to have just one but two guys get player of the week honors when playing a single acc school much less two in a week.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/3/1 ... onors.aspx
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

A somebody pointed out last night in a now deleted post I think - this is ancient history and we might as well be debating the strategy of Pickett's Charge for all the good it does. Except for one thing - it feeds the narrative that the administration is part of the problem - maybe the biggest problem. Inductive reasoning is often the best line of reasoning - alot better than Bill told me what Jim said. Here's the final inductive reasoning point - if the story is true and a Hopkins assistant coach was indeed telling people they wouldn't even take player A's FRESHMAN and SOPHOMORE transcripts to admissions then he should have been either severely reprimanded or fired for a) professional ethics - basically stating outright Player A was not achieving academically which is nobody's business and b) professional stupidity - there's a great recruiting story you want out on the circuit "Well we wanted to come to or strongly consider Hopkins but they told us our son couldn't cut it" Why not take the verbal commitment if they wanted it and then actually get to blame it on admissions if he doesn't get in? - you have the test scores - you have the junior year transcript and you get to say - We tried our hardest and the f'ers in admissions just won't let it happen. There's also the chance he does get in. There's little impact on a Player A of that caliber - programs would have taken him on the first day of spring practice.
Sorry - dog doesn't hunt
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:15 am A somebody pointed out last night in a now deleted post I think - this is ancient history and we might as well be debating the strategy of Pickett's Charge for all the good it does. Except for one thing - it feeds the narrative that the administration is part of the problem - maybe the biggest problem. Inductive reasoning is often the best line of reasoning - alot better than Bill told me what Jim said.
Sorry - dog doesn't hunt
Your most salient point was a much earlier one. This all theoretically would have happened in 2011 when Tom Calder was still the AD and Jerry Schnydman was still the program's cheerleader in the president's office. None of this passes even the most rudimentary of smell tests.

Navy on deck in two nights. The Colgate game notwithstanding, the Midshipmen have played pretty good defense this year. Goals allowed totals were 7, 5, 12, 6, 14, 13 before the fiasco at Colgate. In the 20s in defensive efficiency. And they're also getting good faceoff play — their guy is 58% on the year and held his own against Lehigh's Sisselberger. So this is probably not going to be a runaway for Narewski and Sons. Where Navy has struggled is on the offensive end, especially without Skalniak and Swanson. They are shooting only about 25% as a team. If the Jays can get to 10-11 goals on the road in this one I feel pretty good about a win. If they're looking ahead to Delaware two days later they're going to regret it. Win this one and then think about that.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:15 am A somebody pointed out last night in a now deleted post I think - this is ancient history and we might as well be debating the strategy of Pickett's Charge for all the good it does.
The right strategy for Pickett's charge was NOT TO DO IT AT ALL.
Longstreet tried really hard to talk Lee out of it.
At the end, Longstreet couldn't even give the order and could only nod when Pickett asked him for permission to go.
While it's often constructive to debate history for future reference, the discussion here is likely also beating a dead horse, except for the issue of institutional support, which can change. Perhaps Daniels actually attending a game may signal more such support. Unknown.
Ultimately, the admin has to be onboard. Muller used to say something to the extent of "We want National Champions."
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The past president has attended more games in the last two years than the current president and maybe more than the current President since 2009.

Jerry Schnydman resigned in 2010.

Tom Calder was moved out in 2016. I speculate DP was informed his contract would not be renewed in that time frame but i do not know.

DP was not renewed in 2019.

Pretty much a clean sweep. Alanna oversaw them and was then promoted to a different position amd Jen was brought in. A good hire.
Last edited by OCanada on Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:24 am

Except be did regardless what ever the motivation. He would not have been the first player taken w below standard credentials sone of whom are now in the HOF, won titles, and graduated on time.

It seems reasonable he could not get accepted or decided he made a mistake or wanted another school all along. Inductive reasoning often leads to poor results.
Why are we talking about a guy who went to Maryland and committed 13 years ago when clearly there are more urgent topics, say, like the change in goalie warm-up routine and personnel that has taken us from goaltending backwater to goaltending powerhouse?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:34 am The past president has attended more games in the last tel years than the current president and maybe more than the current President since 2009.

Tom Calder was moved out in 2016. I speculate DP was informed his contract would not be renewed in that time frame but i fo not know.

Pretty much a clean sweep. Alanna oversaw them and was then promoted to a different position amd Jen was brought in. A good hire.
If you're gonna make these sorts of arguments, might want to check your facts before asserting them:

https://gazette.jhu.edu/2011/05/16/jerr ... etirement/

He was 66-67, died at age 77 in Oct 2021.

The "Rambo story" is patently ridiculous; plenty to argue about with making specious arguments, IMO.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:44 am
OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:24 am

Why are we talking about a guy who went to Maryland and committed 13 years ago when clearly there are more urgent topics, say, like the change in goalie warm-up routine and personnel that has taken us from goaltending backwater to goaltending powerhouse?
:lol:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:50 am
OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:34 am The past president has attended more games in the last tel years than the current president and maybe more than the current President since 2009.

Tom Calder was moved out in 2016. I speculate DP was informed his contract would not be renewed in that time frame but i fo not know.

If you're gonna make these sorts of arguments, might want to check your facts before asserting them:

The "Rambo story" is patently ridiculous; plenty to argue about with making specious arguments, IMO.
Infantile. What fact is not a fact. Rambo is also factual. I know when Jerry passed and it is irrelevant. In the places i have worked you submit paperwork resigning your position as of a certain date when retiring
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:59 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:50 am

Infantile. What fact is not a fact. Rambo is also factual. I know when Jerry passed and it is irrelevant. In the places i have worked you submit paperwork resigning your position as of a certain date when retiring
Are you telling us they waited until May 2011, effective June 2012, but he really resigned in 2010???

And you know this how? Because someone told you?

And how do you know that "Rambo is also factual", because someone told you?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”