Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by OCanada »

They did use the campus station. Don’t know if it still exists.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:48 am The deterioration in performance has never been the key issue for me. The root cause of that deterioration is the issue. You have to have the “athletes” to win titles. They were very aware and had meetings w many people to find out why there was a drop off in recruiting. There were several threads to pull on.
For my fellow Tim Robinson fans this is pretty much that legendary sketch from "I Think You Should Leave." Petro in a hot dog suit running around campus demanding to know who's responsible for crashing the hot dog-shaped car through the storefront window. "We're all trying to find the guy who did this."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLfAf8oHrMo&ab
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 am both games this week are on espn+? even though quint only mentioned the delaware game being on the 4 letter family of networks. The big ten road games also look like non btn+ affairs so we are clear on the tv the rest of the way I think.

Navy has its games on the radio. I think Hopkins used to have radio broadcasts but that ended, quietly a few years ago.
The game at Navy on Friday is on ESPN+ as all Patriot League games are this year, but it's not an official ESPN broadcast. It's a PL/Navy production and I'd expect the camera angle to be from the Chinese spy balloon. Sunday's home game vs. Delaware is an actual ESPN production with a tape delay on ESPNU. Not all games on ESPN+ are created equal. In previous years the Delaware game would have been labeled "ESPN3" but that doesn't really exist anymore.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:48 am The Schelly narrative does not make much sense to me. A VA native who went to HS in Cville most of his career and was the acknowledged #1 recruit in the country applied to Hopkins bcs he was worried about getting into UVA? He was a lock at UVA it seems to me.
He was not worried about getting into UVA - he and his family were - according to what I was told - wondering how the coaching situation was going to shake out. Inside Lacrosse says he verbaled to Hopkins almost 8 years ago - July of 2015. That was the height of the speculation around Starsia and in fact he was gone as coach by March of 2016. Tiffany hired in June of 2016 - Shellenberger decommitted and committed to UVA in October of 2016. He started at UVA in 2019 and could have played in 2020 so this was also the height of the early recruiting as Shellenberger apparently verbaled to Hopkins - by my math - BEFORE he started high school and switched to UVA at the beginning of being a high school sophomore - so academics couldn't have been an input either way. BY that I mean the Hopkins administration played no role in this.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:54 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:29 pm 14-13 OT is being shredded?
Yes. Shredded on defense. Duke took 66 shots and hit 12 pipes (and Mark made 22 saves). Cuse D was missing assignments and losing matchups all over the place. Duke generated an insane amount of quality looks. It was a bad defensive performance.
DMac wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:29 pm The Cuse D absolutely looks better, your GK doesn't have a CAREER DAY Hop loses this game.
But he did have a career day. Sadly that's not how this works? Take some saves away from Mark — he stole a few, including one on the doorstep on Hop's first man-up, probably the best save of the game for either side — and then what happens? With a few exceptions, the Cuse shooters didn't make Marcille move much. Give the highlights a watch again. Lots of low-angle shots and stick-side high saves. Great game from him but the bulk of his saves were not exactly of the spectacular variety.

BTW, Mark had huge days against UNC — 27 saves! — and in the aforementioned Duke game and Cuse still lost both. Clearly you need more than a big day from your goalie to win.
the cuse and st joes games both closed with key plays by ssdms which gets lost in the stats.

mcdermott was also running at ssdm to sub hawley. Looks like they want him on the field. Not sure who else we should expect to see.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:43 am
OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:48 am The Schelly narrative does not make much sense to me. A VA native who went to HS in Cville most of his career and was the acknowledged #1 recruit in the country applied to Hopkins bcs he was worried about getting into UVA? He was a lock at UVA it seems to me.
He was not worried about getting into UVA - he and his family were - according to what I was told - wondering how the coaching situation was going to shake out. Inside Lacrosse says he verbaled to Hopkins almost 8 years ago - July of 2015. That was the height of the speculation around Starsia and in fact he was gone as coach by March of 2016. Tiffany hired in June of 2016 - Shellenberger decommitted and committed to UVA in October of 2016. He started at UVA in 2019 and could have played in 2020 so this was also the height of the early recruiting as Shellenberger apparently verbaled to Hopkins - by my math - BEFORE he started high school and switched to UVA at the beginning of being a high school sophomore - so academics couldn't have been an input either way. BY that I mean the Hopkins administration played no role in this.

I did not know that. I suppose i should have thought about it. The coaching situation at UVA would have clarified earlier save for the Love lawsuit etc
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:38 am
OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:48 am The deterioration in performance has never been the key issue for me. The root cause of that deterioration is the issue. You have to have the “athletes” to win titles. They were very aware and had meetings w many people to find out why there was a drop off in recruiting. There were several threads to pull on.
For my fellow Tim Robinson fans this is pretty much that legendary sketch from "I Think You Should Leave." Petro in a hot dog suit running around campus demanding to know who's responsible for crashing the hot dog-shaped car through the storefront window. "We're all trying to find the guy who did this."

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:19 am both games this week are on espn+? even though quint only mentioned the delaware game being on the 4 letter family of networks. The big ten road games also look like non btn+ affairs so we are clear on the tv the rest of the way I think.

Navy has its games on the radio. I think Hopkins used to have radio broadcasts but that ended, quietly a few years ago.
The game at Navy on Friday is on ESPN+ as all Patriot League games are this year, but it's not an official ESPN broadcast. It's a PL/Navy production and I'd expect the camera angle to be from the Chinese spy balloon. Sunday's home game vs. Delaware is an actual ESPN production with a tape delay on ESPNU. Not all games on ESPN+ are created equal. In previous years the Delaware game would have been labeled "ESPN3" but that doesn't really exist anymore.
Not even close but flacks gotta flack.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:48 am I am undure how we disagree about Rambo. He gave a verbal and went to MD. That is all i know about it. DP almost went to MD

Apologies if you were not in the camp but without taking the time to go back and find it amongst 200 pages - I distinctly remember a narrative that Rambo could have been a Blue Jay aside for a strong implication that the Hopkins administration/academics would have intervened. There was even a statement attributed to Benson around the issue which again delves specifically into someone's academics which I don't like to comment on. All I will say is that I was told that Rambo was more of a big school kid and while he almost certainly would have liked Petro - MD/UNC etc,. were more his targets. The other thing I will say is that - as with Shellenberger - timelines are not someone's best friend when arguing that position.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:40 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:43 am

I did not know that. I suppose i should have thought about it. The coaching situation at UVA would have clarified earlier save for the Love lawsuit etc
no it wouldn't have.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:43 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:38 am

Not even close but flacks gotta flack.
The automaton returns. Was this response written by ChatGPT? This has become your new algorithmic refrain.

It's an especially ironic remark given that it is apparently your sacred duty to act as Petro's PR crisis team and defend his honor whenever it's so much as hinted that The Old Guard may have made mistakes. Do you have a little alarm bell on your desk that goes off whenever someone on the internet suggests that, hey, maybe the guy in charge of recruiting bears *some* responsibility for the downturn in recruiting? The image you created of the recruiters meeting with people to figure out what was wrong with recruiting is a funny one. We've been over this. They didn't navigate the early recruiting landscape as well as some others and Petro is on record admitting to this. There were other factors, sure, but that was definitely one of them.
DocBarrister

Most Important Weekend of Regular Season Coming Up

Post by DocBarrister »

The 2022 regular season completely unraveled last year with weekend losses to Navy (10-11) and Delaware (10-12).

I think the Navy/Delaware weekend is the most important of the 2023 regular season. Win both (no easy task) and Hopkins will sit at 7-3 with a good shot at finishing with a winning record and maybe even an NCAA tournament berth.

Split or lose both games, and the Blue Jays will face a gauntlet of a B1G conference schedule that is probably among the toughest since the B1G started conference play in lacrosse. The Blue Jays would be hard pressed to earn a winning record, much less a tournament spot.

I think both Navy and Delaware are must-win games.

Go Blue Jays!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:32 am
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:31 pm Disagree. I don't remember anybody "roasting" anybody. It's been well positioned that Petro and Daniels were likely not breaking bruschetta down at Sammy's together. 2013 had alot to do with it. It is also a fact that Petro's sideline behavior was not great - if you sat near the Hopkins bench you could hear everything. But SteelHop is 1000% correct - it's a combo effect. If he was still winning 78% or something thereabouts like he did between 2001 and 2008 and in the quarters every year and some final 4s in some - the alumni support would have been significant and he would still be there if he wanted to be. Having that percentage drop to something closer to 55% with one final four since '08 - the 4 worst play-off losses in Hopkins history (UVA '09, Duke '10, Brown '16, Duke '17) - a 1-4 NCAA playoff record since '15 and a 2-4 record in '20 with the only wins against an 0-6 Towson team and a OT thriller against the Mt had a very important role in the end result.
If Petro was going regularly to FFs and competing for titles, his contract would have been renewed. You know why I say that because history completely demonstrates this is what happened. Petro made the FF in 2015 and had his contract renewed in 2016.
That is actually a laughable argument. You do know about the change in ADs right? You do know that the AD in 2016 made Petros contract extension somewhat of a parting gift.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:20 am
OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:48 am I am undure how we disagree about Rambo. He gave a verbal and went to MD. That is all i know about it. DP almost went to MD

Apologies if you were not in the camp but without taking the time to go back and find it amongst 200 pages - I distinctly remember a narrative that Rambo could have been a Blue Jay aside for a strong implication that the Hopkins administration/academics would have intervened. There was even a statement attributed to Benson around the issue which again delves specifically into someone's academics which I don't like to comment on. All I will say is that I was told that Rambo was more of a big school kid and while he almost certainly would have liked Petro - MD/UNC etc,. were more his targets. The other thing I will say is that - as with Shellenberger - timelines are not someone's best friend when arguing that position.
Rambo was recruited to Hop. The Jays staff at the time decided to not move forward with his transcript as it would not have been supported by the administration
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:21 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:20 am

Rambo was recruited to Hop. The Jays staff at the time decided to not move forward with his transcript as it would not have been supported by the administration
Didn’t Hopkins once admit an eventual two-year starter at attack who had a HS GPA between 2.5 and 3.0? You mean his transcript was worse than that?

It’s not like Hopkins maintains the most demanding standards when it comes to the lacrosse team.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Rambo very nearly went to Hofstra to play with his brother. This was fairly well-documented at the time. If he didn't go to Maryland, that's probably where he would have went instead. And in light of the incident his sophomore year in College Park, it was probably for the best that he didn't end up at Homewood, as good of a player as he was. Another off-the-field debacle was the absolute last thing the previous staff needed. Not sure they would have survived that so soon after the 2013 rolling suspensions.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Let's put a few true statements on the board along with some logic and maybe this Rambo conjecture goes away - but of course it won't.
- The first published statement of his commitment to MD was August/September 2011 which means his recruitment primarily occurred in 2010/2011
- This means that we are 5 years prior to the wicked witch of the East Alanna showing up and Calder is firmly in place as AD - Mr. Schnydman was present on campus as well - the only one gone from Petro's support system was Brody but Daniels was only on the job for between a year and two years so hopefully he had better things to do than think about how to mess with the lacrosse team. So 2 primary figures in Petro's universe were present and accounted for
- Rambo attended a public school north of Philly not terribly far from the Main Line in Abington his freshman year and then transferred to LaSalle College High School his sophomore year
- Last time I checked one did not take SATs or ACTs in their sophomore year so Rambo's transcript was comprised of one year in a decent public school that allowed him to transfer to a Catholic college prep school and then one year at the college prep school - from which he graduated
- At almost the exact same time - July '11 Hopkins took a verbal commitment from a lacrosse player who advertised a fairly pedestrian GPA from a public school of no special reknown (and way below a Hopkins normal admission GPA by the way) on his own lacrosse recruiting video.
- Then there's the nature of the man himself - you expect me to believe David Pietramala just threw his hands up and said - we won't even try - when one of the true generational players wants to come to Hopkins? He would have begged/borrowed and come as close to stealing as he could if he thought he could get Matt Rambo. He would have sat in the admissions office and held a hunger strike. He would have taken the verbal and figured it out.
- Then of course there are all the LaSalle parents who told me he wanted a bigger school - so there's that.

This is classic Chewbacca Defense - makes no sense
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Obviously is way too early, but @fieldystick posted his first draft bracketology on twitter yesterday. He had Hop as the first team out (sigh). His at larges were ND, UVa, Duke, PSU, Yale, Rutgers, Loyola and OSU. He had 3 ACC, 4 B1G (MD with the AQ), 2 Ivies (Cornell with the AQ), 2 Patriot (Army with the AQ). Doesn't seem like a bad guess to me at this point based on what's happened so far.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Right now I would be a little puzzled by the OSU choice. They are 3-3 and have suffered an 11 goal loss and a 13 goal loss. Their game tonight against a winless Detroit Mercy does nothing for them and after going out to Denver - their two home BIG games are against Maryland and Rutgers and sandwiched between them is a trip to the now highly regarded Penn State. That seems as daunting as what Hopkins has. It does mean the April 15th game with the Buckeyes looms really large and they have had the Jays number.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Collison just won his third straight B1G freshman of the week. Marcille gets specialist of the week.

The Georgetown win should increase in value. Hopefully Jacksonville stays in the top 20 and Cuse and St. Joe's start winning. Delaware is another borderline top 20 opportunity if you win that and then you've got the B1G when literally every game is a potential quality win. Get to 9 wins with this schedule and they'll be in the mix. 10 would put them in play for a seed/home game IMO.

Starts with taking care of business Friday night. A bad loss can be an albatross on your resume. Have to win and keep it rolling.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:08 pm Right now I would be a little puzzled by the OSU choice. They are 3-3 and have suffered an 11 goal loss and a 13 goal loss. Their game tonight against a winless Detroit Mercy does nothing for them and after going out to Denver - their two home BIG games are against Maryland and Rutgers and sandwiched between them is a trip to the now highly regarded Penn State. That seems as daunting as what Hopkins has. It does mean the April 15th game with the Buckeyes looms really large and they have had the Jays number.
Totally agree and was going to comment on exactly that, but figured that debate would be superseded by reality and so didn't bother. They do seem to be getting a fair amount of shine from their UNC win. Does feel like Hop is tending towards being very bubbly.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:17 pm The Georgetown win should increase in value. Hopefully Jacksonville stays in the top 20 and Cuse and St. Joe's start winning. Delaware is another borderline top 20 opportunity if you win that and then you've got the B1G when literally every game is a potential quality win. Get to 9 wins with this schedule and they'll be in the mix. 10 would put them in play for a seed/home game IMO.
Yup. I think it's going to be close. Feels like they probably end up with 2 or 3 wins in conference. And that it comes down to the conference tourney.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”