Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

-"Brutal schedule"-they're playing who they're supposed to be playing which is the alpha dogs. No one gets a uniform at hop, cuse, maryland, unc, notre dame, et al if they aren't in a position to go onto the field and help the team win a game against an elite opponent. Kids get tired or hurt, next man up.
-Chauvette and evans have earned their 2nd midfield spots for now. McDermott they obviously believe in and there's a few games in here to see if he's got anything. Peshko and Grimes have been given numerous chances through a couple of staffs over several years and have not seized opportunities. The old staff would still be starting them.
-Jaronski has had some tough moments over the years like many ssdms and hop players but he came up big. There was a time when Benson was really good at drawing up plays out of timeouts and as 16 or some pointed out JK has been great finishing games.
-The man down stuff was a strength earlier in the year and that's become an issue. There's been a lack of poise, particularly among the veterans.
-In years past we've struggled w/various things. Some years it was the inability to guard the 2 man game, other years we had a habit of getting called for moving picks, this year we seem to get repeatedly called for offsides and I want to say crosschecks.
-So much progress and development at ssdm. Raposo, Hawley, Ince.
-43 on cuse, a young brandon aviles took a really nasty shot at Evans on his final goal. You can see in the clip peshko already has his hands in the air before aviles lays into evans who he wasn't even covering.
-cuse fans and media came in concerned about gbs and faceoffs and in the final quarter they were 7-2 us and 3-2 us on faceoffs.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:13 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:10 pm Marcille - 21 saves 70%.
Marcille just stole the game.

SU D played an excellent game.

Hopkins D stepped up when they had to. Kept some of SU’s big guns relatively quiet.

But again … Marcille stole the game. Hopkins was pretty much outplayed everywhere but in goal.

DocBarrister
"Marcille stole the game." Agree, this is the biggest difference in the game. These looked like two pretty evenly matched teams to me, it was a terrific, very exciting game....crowd of 5,500, great environment. Stats are pretty darn even down the line except for saves and Mark didn't play poorly but Marcille just had a day, that's the real difference. In the previous couple of games GBs and face offs were incredibly imbalanced and not in Cuse's favor, saves have been their strong suit but Hop out did 'em on this day. Good win for the Hop.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I said on the game thread Hopkins needed a big day from Marcille and they got it in spades. Not much to elaborate there except to say watch the presser on hopkinssports and you'll see a glimpse of the lacrosse savant that TM is. Being fairly even in turnovers helped as well was important as the face-off advantage did not materialize (though Narewski's play helped narrow a bigger Cuse lead in that department). Another stat: Hopkins reserves non face-off men had 9 ground balls - Syracuse 1. That's 8 possessions you desperately need in an 11-9 game. Hopkins got to 40 shots "Yea Snapshot". I guess if the shot clock is there might as well use all of it. Did notice there were 6 Hopkins personal fouls to Syracuse's 2 - non call on Evans was ridiculous.

Now they need to handle success once again versus an opponent that is struggling a bit and maybe without the player that killed Hopkins last year Skalniak (I saw the hit he took against Lehigh and Navy went to the trouble to announce he was out indefinitely). Still - Friday night lights St. Patrick's Day - the home crowd will be well lubricated - Navy will be focused and this will be no walk in the park. All the good work that has been done going 2-1 in this 5 game stretch can be undone this next week-end.

Other thoughts:
- Duke is now officially a problem for future opponents - they might have some temporary lapses but they took Loyola out to the woodshed
- Another bad day for the Ivies and except for Ohio State a great day for the BIG - all of a sudden Penn State is as tough a remaining opponent as there is - I don't think the Ivies are sending 6 teams to the tournament this year.
- Bauer/Mazzone and Smith are the only listed players to start every game - Bauer/Collison/Peshko and Grimes are the only offensive oriented players to appear in every game
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:34 am I said on the game thread Hopkins needed a big day from Marcille and they got it in spades. Not much to elaborate there except to say watch the presser on hopkinssports and you'll see a glimpse of the lacrosse savant that TM is. Being fairly even in turnovers helped as well was important as the face-off advantage did not materialize (though Narewski's play helped narrow a bigger Cuse lead in that department). Another stat: Hopkins reserves non face-off men had 9 ground balls - Syracuse 1. That's 8 possessions you desperately need in an 11-9 game. Hopkins got to 40 shots "Yea Snapshot". I guess if the shot clock is there might as well use all of it. Did notice there were 6 Hopkins personal fouls to Syracuse's 2 - non call on Evans was ridiculous.

Now they need to handle success once again versus an opponent that is struggling a bit and maybe without the player that killed Hopkins last year Skalniak (I saw the hit he took against Lehigh and Navy went to the trouble to announce he was out indefinitely). Still - Friday night lights St. Patrick's Day - the home crowd will be well lubricated - Navy will be focused and this will be no walk in the park. All the good work that has been done going 2-1 in this 5 game stretch can be undone this next week-end.

Other thoughts:
- Duke is now officially a problem for future opponents - they might have some temporary lapses but they took Loyola out to the woodshed
- Another bad day for the Ivies and except for Ohio State a great day for the BIG - all of a sudden Penn State is as tough a remaining opponent as there is - I don't think the Ivies are sending 6 teams to the tournament this year.
- Bauer/Mazzone and Smith are the only listed players to start every game - Bauer/Collison/Peshko and Grimes are the only offensive oriented players to appear in every game
https://twitter.com/USALacrosseMag/stat ... 6871065602

Maybe the most egregious non-call you're going to see this year. All the more inexplicable given how flag happy the refs were throughout the game. It's not like they set a precedent that hits like that were going to be allowed. Total clown show.

Agreed on Duke, they've looked good lately. Catastrophic week for the Ivies. Still think Cornell and Yale will probably make the tournament but I'd be surprised if the conference gets any more than that in. Princeton is in trouble.

Navy is going to be desperate and we have historically not played very well in Annapolis. Might be closer than people think. With the Hens coming to town two days later and B1G play starting after that they need to be focused. One game at a time.

That presser shows what a great personality Marcille is and why it's easy for his teammates to have his back. Love that he did the whole thing with the banana on the desk.
Finster

Post by Finster »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:06 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:34 am I said on the game thread Hopkins needed a big day from Marcille and they got it in spades. Not much to elaborate there except to say watch the presser on hopkinssports and you'll see a glimpse of the lacrosse savant that TM is. Being fairly even in turnovers helped as well was important as the face-off advantage did not materialize (though Narewski's play helped narrow a bigger Cuse lead in that department). Another stat: Hopkins reserves non face-off men had 9 ground balls - Syracuse 1. That's 8 possessions you desperately need in an 11-9 game. Hopkins got to 40 shots "Yea Snapshot". I guess if the shot clock is there might as well use all of it. Did notice there were 6 Hopkins personal fouls to Syracuse's 2 - non call on Evans was ridiculous.

Other thoughts:
https://twitter.com/USALacrosseMag/stat ... 6871065602

Maybe the most egregious non-call you're going to see this year. All the more inexplicable given how flag happy the refs were throughout the game. It's not like they set a precedent that hits like that were going to be allowed. Total clown show.

Agreed on Duke, they've looked good lately. Catastrophic week for the Ivies. Still think Cornell and Yale will probably make the tournament but I'd be surprised if the conference gets any more than that in. Princeton is in trouble.

Navy is going to be desperate and we have historically not played very well in Annapolis. Might be closer than people think. With the Hens coming to town two days later and B1G play starting after that they need to be focused. One game at a time.

That presser shows what a great personality Marcille is and why it's easy for his teammates to have his back. Love that he did the whole thing with the banana on the desk.

On the hit, meh. #43 turned his back to Evans as they collided.

Actually if Evan’s had better field awareness, he had Peshko wide open on the doorstep with the goalie turned away, the easiest put-away since Bill/Monica. He should’ve passed.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

chauvette was running with the 1 middies the last half of the fourth quarter with melendez back at attack. I said they had moved on from featuring grimes and peshko and that's clearly not the case rewatching the game. they were out there on man up including in the fourth and looked like they were on the second midfield most of the game with grimes running with the 1s at times. The staff clearly thinks it's if not when grimes and peshko turn it up and peshko did have a key late clear.

Syracuse looked like they got the game they wanted. On their last offensive play they were targeting the look inside-you can see kirst staring holes there and just couldn't execute it with jaronskis stick up saving marcille from having to make a last ditch save.

The staff looked like they made the right calls putting evans in there late when he scored and picking narewski to finish at faceoffs.

The announcers liked our transition game but there were 2 shots that PM seemed really upset with angelus and jaronski for taking.

Hiltz and Thomson were really strong for them. Great players that will be headaches for a long time. Hiltz is a bit of an actor.

cuse broadcasters did a nice job and were clearly prepared and knew the sport-even the play by play guy. A big step up from some of the big ten nonsense we're fed.

Somewhere it was posted the big ten/ivy games are done for the year. The big ten went 6-1. Obviously with the acc it's another story. PM is 1-11 against osu/maryland/rutgers and we know 2/3 are at homewood this year.
Finster

Post by Finster »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:21 pm chauvette was running with the 1 middies the last half of the fourth quarter with melendez back at attack. I said they had moved on from featuring grimes and peshko and that's clearly not the case rewatching the game. they were out there on man up including in the fourth and looked like they were on the second midfield most of the game with grimes running with the 1s at times. The staff clearly thinks it's if not when grimes and peshko turn it up and peshko did have a key late clear.

Syracuse looked like they got the game they wanted. On their last offensive play they were targeting the look inside-you can see kirst staring holes there and just couldn't execute it with jaronskis stick up saving marcille from having to make a last ditch save.

The staff looked like they made the right calls putting evans in there late when he scored and picking narewski to finish at faceoffs.

The announcers liked our transition game but there were 2 shots that PM seemed really upset with angelus and jaronski for taking.

Hiltz and Thomson were really strong for them. Great players that will be headaches for a long time. Hiltz is a bit of an actor.

cuse broadcasters did a nice job and were clearly prepared and knew the sport-even the play by play guy. A big step up from some of the big ten nonsense we're fed.

Somewhere it was posted the big ten/ivy games are done for the year. The big ten went 6-1. Obviously with the acc it's another story. PM is 1-11 against osu/maryland/rutgers and we know 2/3 are at homewood this year.

Syracuse School of Public Communications best in the country. Bob Costas. Mike Tirico. Marv Albert. Sean McDonough. Len Berman. Craig Carton. Jeff Glohr. Steve Kroft. Anish Shroff!!!!!!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Roughly halfway through the season. Time for a little report card.

Offense: B-
Improved from last year, but still a ways to go. Collison and Melendez have been impact additions. Angelus looks very comfortable — some have even said Stanwickian — as the primary distributor. Degnon remains one of the country's best pure shooters. Some nice contributions from Bauer and Krampf. But Grimes and Peshko have gone cold after solid starts. Injuries have led to week-to-week inconsistency and the group overall still looks like they're a player or two away from being a top unit. Have struggled against aggressive, athletic defenses (Loyola and UNC). Still, the ball is hotter than last year, they're a couple players deeper than they have been and they're shooting it better — 32% as a team, compared with 27% last year.

Defense: B+
Passing the eye test. Scott Smith is doing All-American work limiting opposing teams' top attackmen. Mazzone has been a crucial add on D, on faceoff wings, and in transition. Ruddy filled in admirably for Szuluk while the latter was out and Carson Brown has been quite the find. Pat Deans makes plays when healthy. SSDM defense has been up and down — Martin being the top guy but Jaronski, Raposo, and Ince have all had their moments. I would love to see them develop a 5th guy to rotate in there as sticking to 4 and running that same group out every game makes me nervous. Slides and recoveries, on-ball D have been solid and they're not hanging the goalie out to dry nearly as often as they used to. Shorties only get roasted once or twice a game rather than four or five. Big, physical group that plays with a chip on its shoulder.

Goaltending: A
After years in the wilderness looking for a goalie, the Jays finally have their guy. Not much else to say really. Over 50% in 5/7 games against top competition, with some huge performances sprinkled in. Marcille has also quietly been good clearing the ball — always looks to get it out quick and you can count the number of bad clearing passes on one hand. He has 3 points! Versfeld was excellent in spot duty against Utah.

Faceoffs: B
Right around 50% on the season against another gauntlet, and that was without Narewski for much of the year. Callahan and Dunn have taken turns being the guy, with Dunn's performance against Zach Cole of St. Joe's being the standout game. Now with Narewski back they've got 3 legit guys who can all win a matchup on a given day. The Wing God Jack Hawley has come up with some very clutch GBs. Want to see a bit more from the poles (Mazzone, Smith, etc.) who get bumped up to play on the wing. Still room for improvement in that area.

FanLax: C+
Some good performances from 51, Ruffled, nyjay, primitive, hmmm, 44, HOB, flalax, and others. Getting solid play out of that group. DocB has his moments but is still looking for that consistency. 06 and OCanada will surprise you with occasional gems but are more often than not a detriment to overall team performance. Sag A is riding the bench. steelhop has given up. Not the worst this group has ever been but a lot to work on. Lots of time left to get it together but something tells me they won't.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

you left out coaching, staffing, recruiting and portal use.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:15 am
OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:58 pm Fla is correct Petro was not going to be there regardless.
So let me play a silly hypothetical - Tinney avoids his issue - Reed/Concannon/Supinski do not wreck their knees - Brown and Shack are not hobbled by injuries that you once reported could have earned them redshirts but they played because of all the other injuries and Hopkins - at one time one of the preseason favorites hoists the Gold trophy in 2016 instead of that disaster of a season. Then in 2018 - instead of the LSM bobbling the ball out of bounds on the ensuing face-off after the Duke lead had been cut to 1 - he picks it up and Hopkins continues their momentum all the way to another Final 4. So you are telling me after 1 Title - 3 out of 4 Final Fours - a healthy Epstein on the way in '19 - recruiting likely picking up with the success that Petro is absolutely/unequivacably 100% gone in '20? Maybe you're right - but I can't imagine the firestorm that would have ensued since he made it clear he wanted to keep the job and I am skeptical. Again, conceding that the adminsitration and Petro were not having brats and beers in the backyard and you know what alums I am referring to - two of them have last names that begin with "C".
A good hypothetical demoing how wrong the narrative is that has been presented here. You might have added Schelly committing but then going to UVA. And Rambo going to MD. Not certain what happened there.

You omitted mentioning the hazing year when Daniels wanted to cancel the season but was forced to back off. I cannot definitively answer your question bcs it is a hypothetical and there are several people involved but given other events not listed eg the contract structure I am confident he would be gone anyway. What is JC’s view.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:04 pm Roughly halfway through the season. Time for a little report card.

Improved from last year, but still a ways to go. Collison and Melendez have been impact additions. Angelus looks very comfortable — some have even said Stanwickian — as the primary distributor. Degnon remains one of the country's best pure shooters. Some nice contributions from Bauer and Krampf. But Grimes and Peshko have gone cold after solid starts. Injuries have led to week-to-week inconsistency and the group overall still looks like they're a player or two away from being a top unit. Have struggled against aggressive, athletic defenses (Loyola and UNC). Still, the ball is hotter than last year, they're a couple players deeper than they have been and they're shooting it better — 32% as a team, compared with 27% last year.

Passing the eye test. Scott Smith is doing All-American work limiting opposing teams' top attackmen. Mazzone has been a crucial add on D, on faceoff wings, and in transition. Ruddy filled in admirably for Szuluk while the latter was out and Carson Brown has been quite the find. Pat Deans makes plays when healthy. SSDM defense has been up and down — Martin being the top guy but Jaronski, Raposo, and Ince have all had their moments. I would love to see them develop a 5th guy to rotate in there as sticking to 4 and running that same group out every game makes me nervous. Slides and recoveries, on-ball D have been solid and they're not hanging the goalie out to dry nearly as often as they used to. Shorties only get roasted once or twice a game rather than four or five. Big, physical group that plays with a chip on its shoulder.

After years in the wilderness looking for a goalie, the Jays finally have their guy. Not much else to say really. Over 50% in 5/7 games against top competition, with some huge performances sprinkled in. Marcille has also quietly been good clearing the ball — always looks to get it out quick and you can count the number of bad clearing passes on one hand. He has 3 points! Versfeld was excellent in spot duty against Utah.

Right around 50% on the season against another gauntlet, and that was without Narewski for much of the year. Callahan and Dunn have taken turns being the guy, with Dunn's performance against Zach Cole of St. Joe's being the standout game. Now with Narewski back they've got 3 legit guys who can all win a matchup on a given day. The Wing God Jack Hawley has come up with some very clutch GBs. Want to see a bit more from the poles (Mazzone, Smith, etc.) who get bumped up to play on the wing. Still room for improvement in that area.

Some good performances from 51, Ruffled, nyjay, primitive, hmmm, 44, HOB, flalax, and others. Getting solid play out of that group. DocB has his moments but is still looking for that consistency. 06 and OCanada will surprise you with occasional gems but are more often than not a detriment to overall team performance. Sag A is riding the bench. steelhop has given up. Not the worst this group has ever been but a lot to work on. Lots of time left to get it together but something tells me they won't.
A fairly good summation from the resident Hopkins flack who seems to be too often in love w Rosie Scenario rather than reality and can’t resist being snarky. His love for Rosey seems to blind him.

Basically I don’t comment on players save for two. I opined i thought Collison should be running on the 1s from the start of the season. I also did not have the love affair you did with Peshko. That is pretty much it on players and games.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:04 pm Roughly halfway through the season. Time for a little report card.

I’ll take the C+. I was usually a C- student.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:57 pm A good hypothetical demoing how wrong the narrative is that has been presented here. You might have added Schelly committing but then going to UVA. And Rambo going to MD. Not certain what happened there.

You omitted mentioning the hazing year when Daniels wanted to cancel the season but was forced to back off. I cannot definitively answer your question bcs it is a hypothetical and there are several people involved but given other events not listed eg the contract structure I am confident he would be gone anyway. What is JC’s view.
Again, the defense will concede that the administration was not in love with the head coach if the prosecution will concede the performance had deteriorated. I did mention 2013 in a post just before that and we'll just have to agree to disagree on the Rambo narrative. In terms of Shellenberger - I am privy to a source who told me BEFORE he decommitted that he was very likely to decommit as soon as the UVA situation got resolved. Hopkins was the bridesmaid even if they didn't know it.
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:10 pm On the hit, meh. #43 turned his back to Evans as they collided.

Actually if Evan’s had better field awareness, he had Peshko wide open on the doorstep with the goalie turned away, the easiest put-away since Bill/Monica. He should’ve passed.
The hit was late - it was not a token push after a goal - the flag should have been thrown. And you are incorrect on the other point - the shot clock was dwindling down to nothing and even on the stream you could hear everybody in black telling him to go. That's like saying in the 2005 semis Jake Byrne had enough time and should have had the awareness to feed Huntley on the other side who was wide open.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:55 pm
OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:57 pm A good hypothetical demoing how wrong the narrative is that has been presented here. You might have added Schelly committing but then going to UVA. And Rambo going to MD. Not certain what happened there.

Again, the defense will concede that the administration was not in love with the head coach if the prosecution will concede the performance had deteriorated. I did mention 2013 in a post just before that and we'll just have to agree to disagree on the Rambo narrative. In terms of Shellenberger - I am privy to a source who told me BEFORE he decommitted that he was very likely to decommit as soon as the UVA situation got resolved. Hopkins was the bridesmaid even if they didn't know it.
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:10 pm On the hit, meh. #43 turned his back to Evans as they collided.

The hit was late - it was not a token push after a goal - the flag should have been thrown. And you are incorrect on the other point - the shot clock was dwindling down to nothing and even on the stream you could hear everybody in black telling him to go. That's like saying in the 2005 semis Jake Byrne had enough time and should have had the awareness to feed Huntley on the other side who was wide open.
Evans was right there and it looked like he almost had one earlier in that possession. You're that close the odds are better you screw it up w/the extra pass than shooting.

Marcille making 21 saves was great for him, but also means the defense surrendered that many looks. We've seen w/other programs what happens on that front and it's not always as happy.

The self control needs to be stepped up this week. Navy on the road is another emotional game and then short rest for a Delaware team that will be playing w/confidence. Too many penalties period but especially of the 1 minute variety, particularly from veterans.

On the offense I think Jaronski drew 2 penalties yesterday. We don't have many offensive players drawing those kinds of flags.

I don't know what they do to get peshko and grimes going but it's clear they are in the lineup to stay, particularly on man up.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Yes, Marcille made 21 saves, but only one in the last 11 minutes. Partly, because Hopkins squeezed the clock with multiple consecutive possessions and caused some key turnovers.

Marcille has been great in multiple man down situations the last two weeks.

The high hits show a lack of discipline that needs to be addressed by coaching THIS week with two games coming up in 48 hours.
lilax

Post by lilax »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:46 pm Marcille making 21 saves was great for him, but also means the defense surrendered that many looks. We've seen w/other programs what happens on that front and it's not always as happy.
I thought that the Hopkins defense did a good enough job letting Marcille see savable shots. There were a couple of hiccups here and there, but Syracuse had to settle for some low-angle shots. https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 66337?s=20

All of those shots are good shots to give up.

The big thing with Marcille is that he is stopping almost all the shots he should be saving. I can't remember a soft goal he's given up in the last couple of weeks. Years past Hopkins goalies would give up some soft ones which were deflating to the defense.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:46 pm I don't know what they do to get peshko and grimes going but it's clear they are in the lineup to stay, particularly on man up.
Wow - Chauvette scores two goals recently and all is forgiven I guess?

I think we all need to take a major chill pill on Grimes and Peshko
Grimes - last time I checked was solo 4th in goals and tied for 4th in points - Peshko tied for 5th in goals - I tend to like the guys who are Top 5 in goals halfway through the season
FIrst point - the style of Hopkins offense - mid 30's in shots is not the best for having 4 guys (Collison/Degnon/Grimes and Peshko) running around taking mid range bombs - Grimes is taking about 4 shots per game and Peshko 3 - so at 24% and 27% shot percentage these are not gatling guns continually misfiring
Second point - midfielder sweeps - appeared to me to be a point of emphasis from DP on the Orange side of things - we might recall he was a pretty good defensive coach at one time - but aside from the Degnon goal (and maybe being surprised by Melendez once or twice) Hopkins midfielders did not get to the middle of the field with either their strong left or right hand. Even Collison was blunted on that move as his lone goal was a wing dodge.
Third point - related to the first - but Hopkins seeming contentment with taking the shot clock down to the nictotine stained nubs many times might have a slight detriment in that it makes someone not want to make a mistake early AND it might mean that the last second shot is being taken from pretty far out
Fourth point - applies to Grimes - despite our positionless offense Degnon and Grimes are very similar players in terms of spots on the field and rightfully so you want Degnon taking the step downs if they are there because he has been en fuego recently
Fifth point - the lack of a dodging attackman to truly get the defense moving and concerned means players like Grimes and Peshko are often not left with step down opportunities where they have alot of time and room to unleash heat - To my recollection Hopkins did not have a single time and room yesterday - this also means - like Petro did yesterday - you can concentrate on one of Hopkins offensive strengths which is 4 guys that are 6'4" 200+lbs and can shoot it hard
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

I really like the 2023 JHU lacrosse team. They refuse to give up and they play with intensity and are resilient.

I usually don't criticize my fellow Hopkins fans, but the picky criticisms and the "but for" and the "what ifs" are a bit much. :oops: :roll: Decisions on the field are made in fractions of a second when you have the ball and are near the goal. Same in groundball fights.

Try this one, "What if the Hopkins Team did not have all these injuries thru the first 5 weeks of the season and had been at full strength, I don't think it is improbable that Hopkins could be undefeated or only have one loss. ;)

The Team is well coached and the players are performing well. I look forward to the rest of the season. :)
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

Chitown wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:44 pm I really like the 2023 JHU lacrosse team. They refuse to give up and they play with intensity and are resilient.

I usually don't criticize my fellow Hopkins fans, but the picky criticisms and the "but for" and the "what ifs" are a bit much. :oops: :roll: Decisions on the field are made in fractions of a second when you have the ball and are near the goal. Same in groundball fights.

Try this one, "What if the Hopkins Team did not have all these injuries thru the first 5 weeks of the season and had been at full strength, I don't think it is improbable that Hopkins could be undefeated or only have one loss. ;)

The Team is well coached and the players are performing well. I look forward to the rest of the season. :)
+1
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Chitown wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:44 pm I really like the 2023 JHU lacrosse team. They refuse to give up and they play with intensity and are resilient.

It's certainly the best team we've seen in years. They finally have solid goaltending and some versatile firepower on offense.
Definitely worried the Navy game Friday night makes the team vulnerable to Delaware on Sunday. If both teams are playing that schedule, fine, but doing it unilaterally is risky.
The BIG looks tough this year. No easy games. You definitely want to be well over .500 heading into that gauntlet.
What to do with Narewski? Do you keep him as the closer or move him to starting pitcher status?
They've been getting him back into the lineup slowly, which is wise, but at some point you have to consider starting him, with Dunn and Callahan mixing in.
Or you could argue, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”