Is gambling good for lacrosse?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NYC_lax

Is gambling good for lacrosse?

Post by NYC_lax »

I was at the St John's Jacksonville game today, Jacksonville was favored by 8.5. St John's scored with 2 seconds left in the game to make it 17-9. Jacksonville won the faceoff and passed the ball towards the goal and took a shot that was saved as time expired. I wonder why? I don't think this is good for the game.
keno in reno

Re: Is gambling good for lacrosse?

Post by keno in reno »

NYC_lax wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:02 pm I was at the St John's Jacksonville game today, Jacksonville was favored by 8.5. St John's scored with 2 seconds left in the game to make it 17-9. Jacksonville won the faceoff and passed the ball towards the goal and took a shot that was saved as time expired. I wonder why? I don't think this is good for the game.
The shot was taken by a guy who had not taken a shot all season. That may be why. Why is that bad for the game?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

No.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
NYC_lax

Post by NYC_lax »

I get it but in football you take a knee, in basketball you run out the clock. There are lots of players in those games who do the right thing. Have you ever watched a team up 8 goals take a shot off the faceoff with 2 seconds left in the game? Makes you wonder why?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

It does make me wonder why, and I think it's bad that I wonder why.

So the answer to your question is: No, gambling is not good for lacrosse.
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

Don’t think it’s very often that kids get into blow outs at the end of a d1 game. Probably 1-2 times a year (unless you play SJU more often than that since they’re that bad)
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

NYC_lax wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:26 pm I get it but in football you take a knee, in basketball you run out the clock. There are lots of players in those games who do the right thing. Have you ever watched a team up 8 goals take a shot off the faceoff with 2 seconds left in the game? Makes you wonder why?
So based on one play by a scrub on Jacksonville, you think football and basketball are more honorable than lacrosse or more immune to gambling influences? You've never seen basketball bench-warmers chuck up 3's at the end of games?
NYC_lax

Post by NYC_lax »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:45 pm
NYC_lax wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:26 pm I get it but in football you take a knee, in basketball you run out the clock. There are lots of players in those games who do the right thing. Have you ever watched a team up 8 goals take a shot off the faceoff with 2 seconds left in the game? Makes you wonder why?
So based on one play by a scrub on Jacksonville, you think football and basketball are more honorable than lacrosse or more immune to gambling influences? You've never seen basketball bench-warmers chuck up 3's at the end of games?
I watch more basketball then lacrosse but with 2 seconds left after a basket and up by a lot i have never watched a player on the wining team take a deep 3. Ever! Its called sportsmanship.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT10PrR8TSU

If that link doesn't work, google Missouri Lindenwood basketball. It happens.
Last edited by keno in reno on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

NYC_lax wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:02 pm I was at the St John's Jacksonville game today, Jacksonville was favored by 8.5. St John's scored with 2 seconds left in the game to make it 17-9. Jacksonville won the faceoff and passed the ball towards the goal and took a shot that was saved as time expired. I wonder why? I don't think this is good for the game.
Gambling in lacrosse concerns me for a few reasons:

1) Generally, Coaches, players, referees are parents are all under varying degrees of financial pressure. Players and parents have tuition bills, coaches and referees are not generously compensated. The risk of manipulating point spreads for financial gain is a temptation that I'd prefer not be present.

2) For this board, I'm uncomfortable when the discussions trend toward "covering spreads" and other measurements that have nothing to do with playing lacrosse in the team or game threads. I recall that LaxPower specifically prohibited gambling discussions.

3) Generally, I guess that we can't escape the presence of gambling in sport. Having dedicated gambling threads on Fanlax is likely a good compromise. It is interesting to see the predictions.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

NYC_lax wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:55 pm
I watch more basketball then lacrosse but with 2 seconds left after a basket and up by a lot i have never watched a player on the wining team take a deep 3. Ever! Its called sportsmanship.
so you are all in that this was gambling related?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:12 pm
Gambling in lacrosse concerns me for a few reasons:

1) Generally, Coaches, players, referees are parents are all under varying degrees of financial pressure. Players and parents have tuition bills, coaches and referees are not generously compensated. The risk of manipulating point spreads for financial gain is a temptation that I'd prefer not be present.

2) For this board, I'm uncomfortable when the discussions trend toward "covering spreads" and other measurements that have nothing to do with playing lacrosse in the team or game threads. I recall that LaxPower specifically prohibited gambling discussions.

3) Generally, I guess that we can't escape the presence of gambling in sport. Having dedicated gambling threads on Fanlax is likely a good compromise. It is interesting to see the predictions.
Fantasy! My son and I are going against a guy who has NDs Defense and we’re like “come on ND get the backup D in now!”
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:27 pm
NYC_lax wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:55 pm
so you are all in that this was gambling related?
Reaction to his team getting waxed is all.

I could just as easily claim Coach Raymond bet the over on all Bart games before replacing our two year starting goalie with a kid on the roster three years who hasn’t done well when come in as a reserve previously…
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Gambling isn't good for anything. It's a cancer...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:47 am Gambling isn't good for anything. It's a cancer...
I bet you’re wrong.

Oh s**t…

But still this thread is a bit goofy. Guy watches his team get waxed and the backups want to get theirs and there’s a hint of allegation that it was in any way tied to the line. Come on. That’s ludicrous as a foundation to discuss this.

Now should lines be here or a section otherwise that’s anything but lacrosse? For admin to decide but that’s maybe the most productive aspect of this thread existing.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:47 am Gambling isn't good for anything. It's a cancer...
+1

It adds nothing to the sport of lacrosse or any other sport. If you need gambling to make you interested in the game or a particular game - you are not a sport's fan, you are a gambler. Given the general pay scale of officials in the sport, the ability to bet on point spreads, makes them easy targets. We will, as a sport, in the future have our own scandal. Can hardly wait. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:27 am
+1

It adds nothing to the sport of lacrosse or any other sport. If you need gambling to make you interested in the game or a particular game - you are not a sport's fan, you are a gambler. Given the general pay scale of officials in the sport, the ability to bet on point spreads, makes them easy targets. We will, as a sport, in the future have our own scandal. Can hardly wait. :roll:
Look at it another way, it’s social price discovery.
nms

Post by nms »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:42 am
I bet you’re wrong.

Oh s**t…

But still this thread is a bit goofy. Guy watches his team get waxed and the backups want to get theirs and there’s a hint of allegation that it was in any way tied to the line. Come on. That’s ludicrous as a foundation to discuss this.

Now should lines be here or a section otherwise that’s anything but lacrosse? For admin to decide but that’s maybe the most productive aspect of this thread existing.
I would love to see gambling on its own board:
FANLAX HOME < FANLAX FORUM < MENS LACROSSE < D1 MENS LACROSSE and
FANLAX HOME < FANLAX FORUM < MENS LACROSSE < GAMBLING

or something similar
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

nms wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:51 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:42 am
I bet you’re wrong.

Oh s**t…

I would love to see gambling on its own board:
FANLAX HOME < FANLAX FORUM < MENS LACROSSE < D1 MENS LACROSSE and
FANLAX HOME < FANLAX FORUM < MENS LACROSSE < GAMBLING

or something similar
+1
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Players gamble on the games....Don't think we are going to see the likes of 1978 BC points shaving...but I doubt the NCAA could enforce or cares enough to do so...Lacrosse is NOT a priority

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”