Virginia 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rasheed

Re: Virginia 2023

Post by rasheed »

I applaud Lars for strengthening the schedule. Who knows how things play out but on paper, at least, their schedule looks pretty competitive. Does anyone know how competitive compared to other teams?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Gatsby wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:58 pm
molo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:00 pm Cormier puts in another to increase the lead to three at halftime. I’m guessing Hudgins is on Shellenberger. Someone has kept him quiet so far.
Hudgins was on Schutz, or Miezan when he came in. Bobby Van Buren was on Shellenberger.

First real test for UVA and holding OSU to 6 goals was unexpected after the first few games when people weren't too sure about the defense. Goalie play was very good. OSU offense also missed on some shots. Cormier alone scored more goals than OSU.
The original conventional thinking was OSU planned not to slide. Did they take that approach? I am sure they mixed it up because whatever they started doing didn’t work.
Finster

Post by Finster »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:31 pm Cavs just separated themselves from the pack.

Nope nope and nope. ND is beyond legit. Going to have to play them maybe 3x.

Everyone today is like ‘what’s wrong with Gtown?’ Not much. They were ready to play yesterday. They ran into a great team.

I’ve seen both ND and UVA play. I give ND a slight edge.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Fun fact, it’s been five years since ND last beat UVA.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

BigTom5 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:44 am Fun fact, it’s been five years since ND last beat UVA.
Thanks……….You certainly jinxed them now
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:18 am
10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:31 pm Cavs just separated themselves from the pack.

Everyone today is like ‘what’s wrong with Gtown?’ Not much. They were ready to play yesterday. They ran into a great team.

Oh man. I can’t wait until the Hoos finally get Finster’s top nod. Loyola is better. ND is better… Who’s next?! 😬 lol
Finster

Post by Finster »

Laxter wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:28 am
Finster wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:18 am

Oh man. I can’t wait until the Hoos finally get Finster’s top nod. Loyola is better. ND is better… Who’s next?! 😬 lol

You got me confused with someone else. I never said Loyola was better than UVA. I’ve seen both UVA and ND in person; I’m saying with what I’ve seen, I’d take ND. Their defense is big, rangy, athletic, much better than UVA. Their midfield looks to me to be better than UVA. Attack: edge UVA. Goalie: ND. Faceoff: UVA.

X Factor: Notre Dame for not getting in the tournament last year.

It won’t surprise me if UVA beats ND; likewise, it won’t surprise me if ND beats UVA. I assure you, UVA is not decidedly better. It’s a pick’em, and I’m picking ND.

I’ll be at a few more UVA home games this year to see how the team develops: Duke, Maryland, ND. Those three games will be standing room only. Looking forward to it.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

blue angels wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:15 am
molo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:00 pm Cormier puts in another to increase the lead to three at halftime. I’m guessing Hudgins is on Shellenberger. Someone has kept him quiet so far.
Hudgins was on Schutz, or Miezan when he came in. Bobby Van Buren was on Shellenberger.

First real test for UVA and holding OSU to 6 goals was unexpected after the first few games when people weren't too sure about the defense. Goalie play was very good. OSU offense also missed on some shots. Cormier alone scored more goals than OSU.
The original conventional thinking was OSU planned not to slide. Did they take that approach? I am sure they mixed it up because whatever they started doing didn’t work.
Yeah, I'd say so. They played straight up man-to-man, and slid only when someone was beat. Both sides did. Youtube highlights.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Gatsby wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:11 pm
blue angels wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:15 am

Yeah, I'd say so. They played straight up man-to-man, and slid only when someone was beat. Both sides did. Youtube highlights.
I only saw the highlights, but it looked like Schutz was getting a step on their LSM frequently in the clips. Even though he hasn’t had a really prolific day in the box score yet, he is really opening things up for others.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Virginia gets very little love on these boards, but they’re absolutely pasting Richmond (which really is no surprise; in spite of Richmond’s record, they’re not all that solid this year).

To stop Virginia, you better have three VERY good defensemen and one very good FOGO.

I see only two teams capable of that this year: Notre Dame and Maryland. Maryland won’t likely beat UVA without McNaney. Notre Dame’s goalie is likely up to the task and I still give ND the edge because of the Kav bros.

Other than those, Maryland and ND, to beat Virginia, other teams will need UVA to have a remarkably bad game from every player. Food poisoning or a general malaise. I just don’t see any other teams in the mix. And it’s only March 4.

This team is for real.
molo

Post by molo »

Gotta exorcise the blue demon, too.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:57 pm Virginia gets very little love on these boards, but they’re absolutely pasting Richmond (which really is no surprise; in spite of Richmond’s record, they’re not all that solid this year).

To stop Virginia, you better have three VERY good defensemen and one very good FOGO.

I see only two teams capable of that this year: Notre Dame and Maryland. Maryland won’t likely beat UVA without McNaney. Notre Dame’s goalie is likely up to the task and I still give ND the edge because of the Kav bros.

Other than those, Maryland and ND, to beat Virginia, other teams will need UVA to have a remarkably bad game from every player. Food poisoning or a general malaise. I just don’t see any other teams in the mix. And it’s only March 4.

This team is for real.
Long ways to go this season and a roadblock with every opponent, starting Tuesday. Of course, a bunch of teams can beat Virginia if they don't play well.
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:18 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:57 pm Virginia gets very little love on these boards, but they’re absolutely pasting Richmond (which really is no surprise; in spite of Richmond’s record, they’re not all that solid this year).

This team is for real.
Long ways to go this season and a roadblock with every opponent, starting Tuesday. Of course, a bunch of teams can beat Virginia if they don't play well.

I agree. But… UVA has a favorable schedule. At Hopkins, okay away, but Hopkins isn’t nearly as talented. Towson, whatever. Then home against Maryland. That helps the Hoos because the following week is away at ND; probably the toughest test they’ll have all year. And they’ll be rested. No two weeks on the road.

UNC/Duke are away, but meh. I don’t see them on the same level as ND and UVA.

UVA has a favorable schedule. ND had to play away at Georgetown and Maryland two weeks in a row. That’s tough sledding. UVA has no similar rough ride.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

NCAA records book, all time scoring teams/seasons,
Scoring Offense
Team Year Games Goals GPG
Syracuse 1991 15 274 18.27
Virginia 1997 14 255 18.21
Penn St. 2019 18 323 17.94
Maryland 2022 18 318 17.67
Syracuse 1988 15 261 17.40
Syracuse 1993 14 243 17.36
Cornell 1976 16 276 17.25
UVA as of now,
Offense
# Team GF Avg
1 virginia 84 21.0
2 notre dame 67 16.8
3 high point 83 16.6
4 saint joseph's 66 16.5
5 yale 49 16.3
Finster

Post by Finster »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:09 am NCAA records book, all time scoring teams/seasons,
Scoring Offense
Team Year Games Goals GPG
Syracuse 1991 15 274 18.27
Virginia 1997 14 255 18.21
Penn St. 2019 18 323 17.94
Maryland 2022 18 318 17.67
Syracuse 1988 15 261 17.40
Syracuse 1993 14 243 17.36
Cornell 1976 16 276 17.25
UVA as of now,
Offense
# Team GF Avg
1 virginia 84 21.0
2 notre dame 67 16.8
3 high point 83 16.6
4 saint joseph's 66 16.5
5 yale 49 16.3

Yup. I’m not a Hoo guy, but live nearby. They’re going to be really hard to beat. Two super intelligent quarterbacks in Shellenberger and Dickson. Senior heavy team.

I’ll beat this drum until proven otherwise: You’ll need three excellent defenders plus a good FOGO to beat Virginia this year. If you’re missing any of those 4 roles, you will not beat them.

I see just two teams that can do it: Maryland and Notre Dame. ND’s Lynch has shown he gets the better of Lasalla, so let’s see about this year. Weirman for sure has Lasalla’s number. Both squads have three very capable defenders, plus backups. ND’s offense to me is a shade better than Maryland.

UVA has the favorable schedule though.

Should be interesting but these are the 3 teams imo this year which look much better than the rest of D1, with ND and UVA both better than the Terps (the Terps don’t have an offensive quarterback; that’s hurting then).
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:45 am

This team is for real.

I agree. But… UVA has a favorable schedule. At Hopkins, okay away, but Hopkins isn’t nearly as talented. Towson, whatever. Then home against Maryland. That helps the Hoos because the following week is away at ND; probably the toughest test they’ll have all year. And they’ll be rested. No two weeks on the road.

UVA has a favorable schedule. ND had to play away at Georgetown and Maryland two weeks in a row. That’s tough sledding. UVA has no similar rough ride.
UVa plays Duke home-and-home this year, Notre Dame as well.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
Finster

Post by Finster »

HowieT3 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:03 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:45 am

This team is for real.

UVa plays Duke home-and-home this year, Notre Dame as well.

I know that. I’m more referring to the way the schedule works for Virginia: never two hard road games in a row, really never two difficult games in a row.
molo

Post by molo »

From now on, with the exception of the Leopards, the schedule is tough. Maryland and two apiece for Duke and ND are as tough as it gets, and both UNC and SU are opponents capable of making you pay for an off day.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Is Terenzi taking a red shirt? Hell of player IMHO.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:16 pm Is Terenzi taking a red shirt? Hell of player IMHO.
Yep along with Morris the goalie, Ryan Colsey-attack/midfield & Schroter-D pole. Of course, that could change in the event of injuries. FWIW, Quint commented during the broadcast that Lars would consider only redshirting his most promising players to get a 5th year. Looking at our Grad student, 4th year heavy roster, there will be plenty of playing time for really good players next year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”