D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by bearlaxfan »

harflax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:32 am Christian Swezey
@SwezeyLacrosse
·
1h
Ivy League men's lacrosse travel rosters for overnight trips remain at 32 players (reg season). Same as it was in the mid-1990s at least.

By way of comparison in 2023:

ACC: No limit
Big East: Up to each school
B1G: 40 or 45 players
Patriot League: No limit
Well after all you can't expect hardscrabble institutions like the Ivies to compete with these other leagues. We've all heard how administrators donate blood just to keep the lights on.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

harflax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:32 am Christian Swezey
@SwezeyLacrosse
·
1h
Ivy League men's lacrosse travel rosters for overnight trips remain at 32 players (reg season). Same as it was in the mid-1990s at least.

By way of comparison in 2023:

ACC: No limit
Big East: Up to each school
B1G: 40 or 45 players
Patriot League: No limit
ACC Soccer has travel roster limits. I am surprised there isn’t any for lacrosse. Is Big Ten 40 or 45 ( one or the other) or up to 45?
“I wish you would!”
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

I noticed this at the Brown v. UVM game a few weeks ago, the Brown bench looked conspicuously small. I think I counted around 30 total. Home bench was massive in comparison.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Predictions for this week:

Harvard (H) over Michigan by 2
Yale (H) over Denver by 2
Cornell (H) over Penn State by 3
North Carolina (H) over Brown (with depleted line-up) by 2
Penn (H) over Villanova by 2
Rutgers (H) over Princeton by 1
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:36 am Predictions for this week:

Harvard (H) over Michigan by 2 -6
Cornell (H) over Penn State by 3 -4
North Carolina (H) over Brown (with depleted line-up) by 2 +13
Penn (H) over Villanova by 2 TBD
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:19 pm

Penn (H) over Villanova by 2 TBD
These are incredibly good picks, just wish he had been right on our Big Red.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Penn (H) over Villanova by 2 -1
Ivies go 1-5 on the last day of full OOC play ...

I'm starting to think we might not get 6 into the NCAAs this year ...
Last edited by CU77 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Individual Ivy performances of note this week:

Offense:

Emmett Paradine: 10 points (7,3) for Dartmouth in win vs Hobart (rookie performance)
Sam Handley: 8 points (6,2) for Penn in a win against St. Joe's and a loss to Villanova
Matt Brandau: 6 points (3,3) for Yale in a win vs Denver

Defense:

Emmett Carroll: 14 saves/54% for Penn in a win vs St. Joe's. 21 saves/70% for Penn in a loss to Villanova
Jared Paquette: 13 saves/59% for Yale in a win vs Denver

Other strong performances:

Chayse Ierlan: 21 saves/68% for Cornell in a loss to Penn State
Coulter Mackesy: 6 points (3,3) for Princeton in a loss to Rutgers
CJ Kirst: 4 points (3,1) for Cornell in a loss to Penn State
Sam King: 4 points (2,2) for Harvard in a loss to Michigan
Ryan Behrens: 3 points (3,0) for Brown in a loss to UNC

I will review again later. Any suggestions welcomed.
Last edited by faircornell on Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:01 pm Individual Ivy performances of note this week:

Offense:

Emmett Paradine: 10 points (7,3) for Dartmouth in win vs Hobart (rookie performance)
Sam Handley: 8 points (6,2) for Penn in a win against St. Joe's and a loss to Villanova

Defense:

Emmett Carroll: 14 saves/54% for Penn in a win vs St. Joe's. 21 saves/70% for Penn in a loss to Villanova

Chase Ireland: 21 saves/68% for Cornell in a loss to Penn State

Ierlan, please.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Ivys been over rated all year, and all these losses will barely change their rankings.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:41 pm Ivys been over rated all year, and all these losses will barely change their rankings.
I disagree; '23 Ivy's are certainly not going to be a 4, 5, or 6 team to NCAA league this year, and probably won't be 3 and the rankings next week will reflect the impact of these aggregate losses.

Last year was last year, this is a new year, new set of teams. We start the ranking assumptions based on past performances, players added and subtracted, etc, but we don't really know until the games get played.

Was Georgetown ranked too high? I dunno, but I'd bet they end the season better than their first 3 games...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ivy teams improve from here, but the way the math works, the Ivies won't have to OC wins needed to get more than 2, best case 3 into NCAA's.

But they may yet beat teams which will be higher ranked next week...hard to know at this point. That's why the games get played!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:41 pm Ivys been over rated all year, and all these losses will barely change their rankings.
I think Cornell may drop a bit from #3 ... :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:01 pm Individual Ivy performances of note this week:

Offense:

Defense:

I think Paradine should get it.
It's at the very least the rookie performance, but I don't see any better...down week for Ivies overall and a heck of a game by him. I don't see a 13 save game as more deserving. 59% very good, but not amazing. Ierlan's performance was better (spell check tried to give Ireland!), but in a losing cause.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:03 pm

Offense:

Defense:

I think Paradine should get it.
It's at the very least the rookie performance, but I don't see any better...down week for Ivies overall and a heck of a game by him. I don't see a 13 save game as more deserving. 59% very good, but not amazing. Ierlan's performance was better (spell check tried to give Ireland!), but in a losing cause.
Haha! Auto correct=2, FC=0... Chayse Ierlan gets changed every time. Also, some IVY PTSD... I do hope that Emmett Carroll gets some type of recognition.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:46 pm

Penn (H) over Villanova by 2 -1
Ivies go 1-5 on the last day of full OOC play ...

I'm starting to think we might not get 6 into the NCAAs this year ...
Probably a safe bet once the Brown suspensions were announced plus PTons & Penns lack of OOC wins of note
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Here are the remaining OOC games. Bold= potentially helpful wins on the outside chance the league can scrape three bids. (Scrape two bids?! :o )

Brown: UMass. Nova. Bryant
Cornell. Marquette. Army
Dartmouth UNC. Hampton
Harvard. BU. Colgate
Penn. Albany
Princeton. Syracuse
Yale. BU. Albany
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:57 pm
I disagree; '23 Ivy's are certainly not going to be a 4, 5, or 6 team to NCAA league this year, and probably won't be 3 and the rankings next week will reflect the impact of these aggregate losses.

Last year was last year, this is a new year, new set of teams. We start the ranking assumptions based on past performances, players added and subtracted, etc, but we don't really know until the games get played.

Was Georgetown ranked too high? I dunno, but I'd bet they end the season better than their first 3 games...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ivy teams improve from here, but the way the math works, the Ivies won't have to OC wins needed to get more than 2, best case 3 into NCAA's.

But they may yet beat teams which will be higher ranked next week...hard to know at this point. That's why the games get played!
How can you disagree with this statement? He said that the Ivy League has been overrated all year. They started with 6 teams in the top 20. And three were in the top 5!! Last week Princeton was still ranked 14 despite only beating Monmouth and Manhattan. They were Ranked 4 spots ahead of Villanova who beat Delaware and Penn State. The rankings are a joke.

Yale and Cornell are the only teams that should be considered for an at-large this year. Hopefully one of them wins the Ivy Tournament.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Dartmouth is the only Ivy still undefeated!? Having the first Ivy-bye week, the Big Green face the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill next Sunday. Nice that it's a Sunday game, so all the other Ivies can watch.

Next Saturday, we have Cornell at Yale, Harvard at Brown and, in the evening, Princeton at Penn. It really has been almost four years since Cornell played at Reese, with JT51 starring for Cornell and TD taking face-offs for Yale. Brown will still be without its "noisy delinquents" (or fine young men with nasty neighbors), which on paper could give Harvard the edge. Given their OOC disappointments, Princeton at Penn seems for both teams like an unusually important game considering how early in the season we are.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:54 am ... can scrape three bids. (Scrape two bids?! :o )
I mean, look at the ACC last year. The dearth of quality OOC wins at this point may well mean that the Ivies are a one-bid league.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:12 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:57 pm

How can you disagree with this statement? He said that the Ivy League has been overrated all year. They started with 6 teams in the top 20. And three were in the top 5!! Last week Princeton was still ranked 14 despite only beating Monmouth and Manhattan. They were Ranked 4 spots ahead of Villanova who beat Delaware and Penn State. The rankings are a joke.

Yale and Cornell are the only teams that should be considered for an at-large this year. Hopefully one of them wins the Ivy Tournament.
There's a lot of lacrosse yet to be played, but when you say "the rankings are a joke", we may agree, at least insofar as preseason rankings are usually reflective of just best guesses based upon prior year, some adds and subtracts, but are entirely meaningless otherwise...mid-season rankings, which we aren't even at yet, are "more informed", but all that really matters is how teams end up.

So, I don't consider teams ranked too far or too low, pre or early season, because it's obvious that they reflect only the available minimal data...they are what they are...and then they move as teams perform, or don't, against others.

"over rated" is a particularly pejorative phrase, especially as it was used, so that's not necessary IMO.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”