Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxbro11

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by laxbro11 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:34 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:12 pm At some point you have to play an away game where you are ready to go at full speed from the first whistle
They were ready to go…home
Not ready to play embarrassed against Duke scrap it learn from it onto the patriot league play
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Frustrating because the second half is still the Duke starters. Loyola played harder and defended with way more discipline. That allowed them to actually touch the ball and the offense brought some steam when they had touches.

That's going to be the story. Three road games, three sluggish starts. Can they play 60 minutes of hard, smart lacrosse away from Ridley?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Kind of at a loss for words after watching that.

3/6ths of the entire two midfield units were shut out tonight. The only midfielders to score a point were bateman, kamish and poitras.

Tell me how a freshman had the ability and the steel nerves to attempt to dodge, shoot and score against a defense but the upperclassmen had a very very tough time doing so.

The worst worst game I’ve seen from James and Higgins in terms of production. On offense Duke wasn’t even doin anything too complicated??? Their ball movement and dodgers were just SO much faster

I think the team will use this game as an inflection point. You can learn from losses like this, and I think they realize they’re still a good team but they also need to work and refine some units.

Edit: I heard higgins was hurt and poitras took big hits to the body and head on that dive attempt in I think Q1 or Q2. I really hope those two are okay
Last edited by houndace1 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
random observer

Post by random observer »

Hounds needed a reality check. Many on this thread were aggravated by quints comments in his weekly poll but as usual he was spot on. That Maryland game was a fluke (if not the result then certainly the MOV). Great defense, great freshman class, but at the top level more will be needed to be a serious contender. Not enough consistency on offense and poor play at the X is not a recipe for success; one of those can be rectified for sure, the other maybe not.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I was at the game. That was the most uninspired, unprepared team (especially defensively) I have seen from Loyola in some time. Duke called off the dogs a bit in the second half so the score doesn’t really tell the tale. I agree with Random Observer that the expectations in Evergreen are way too high. They are an above average program. I give them credit though. They convince good players to go to a school in one of the worst cities in the country.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

The expectations are the ones that the staff and the team currently sets for themselves. Not what outsiders say about them. From what I’ve heard, the team has been internally focused on winning the PL and getting back to the NCAAT. Toomey said in an interview that they believe winning a PL title and getting to the NCAA quarterfinals is the standard.

Back to the game, I believe the team uses this game as an inflection point. They’re still good and can compete but they need to tinker and re work some things offensively to stand a chance against really great teams.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

They have a shot at the PL because there doesn’t seem to be a dominant team right now. Loyola and Army are in a two team race from what I see. If they get in then anything can happen but a final four or national championship is not in the cards with this team.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:24 am They have a shot at the PL because there doesn’t seem to be a dominant team right now. Loyola and Army are in a two team race from what I see. If they get in then anything can happen but a final four or national championship is not in the cards with this team.
Realistically, is any team expecting to make the final four or national title game every year? The answer is no except if your places like UVA, MD, ND that have the best of the best resources, talent and the sustained track record of success.

If loyola makes a final four run every 3-5 years, that’s great in my own opinion.

This team I think will improve after this game. Look what happened in 2016 after getting shelled by Duke at Ridley. Lost to navy the next game and then went on a 10 game winning streak all the way to the final four.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
QuestionMark

Post by QuestionMark »

Because ExLaxBro forgets the reigning PL Champion, BU, brought everybody back and finished first in the coaches preseason poll.

Loyola and Army will likely play in the semifinal in Boston.

Loyola lost to BU twice last year (once in Balt). This year the Hounds travel to Beantown.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

QuestionMark wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:37 am Because ExLaxBro forgets the reigning PL Champion, BU, brought everybody back and finished first in the coaches preseason poll.

Loyola and Army will likely play in the semifinal in Boston.

Loyola lost to BU twice last year (once in Balt). This year the Hounds travel to Beantown.
BU does look good with Meyer at LSM and that three headed combo at attack, along with their good FO man!

Only thing I dispute is that BU and loyola only played once last year. 14-9 win for BU at Ridley.

I don’t think loyola has won against BU since 2018. Will be an interesting match up for sure
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Haven’t forgotten about BU but they haven’t played to their potential IMO. Losing to Vermont and barely beating Bryant isn’t exactly resume builders. They clearly have the talent to make a run if they can figure it out.
QuestionMark

Post by QuestionMark »

So you think it’s Loyola and Army yet Army loses to UMASS and BU beats them in Amherst 12-6?
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

After watching them play Bucknell just now, yes as of today BU is not in the conversation.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:14 pm After watching them play Bucknell just now, yes as of today BU is not in the conversation.
I would say it is wide open BU, Army Loyola and throw navy in there I have seen the midshipmen play well

Bottom line who gets hot at league tournament time
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

QuestionMark wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:32 am So you think it’s Loyola and Army yet Army loses to UMASS and BU beats them in Amherst 12-6?
I'll gladly wait until April when BU plays the 4 hardest games on their schedule to decide if they're actually good or not.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:29 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:14 pm After watching them play Bucknell just now, yes as of today BU is not in the conversation.
I would say it is wide open BU, Army Loyola and throw navy in there I have seen the midshipmen play well

Bottom line who gets hot at league tournament time
It take navy back after seeing Colgate score
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Absolutely. A lot of lax left. BU has talent and if they put it together then they are a problem in the PL. they remind me a bit of Loyola last year. they are winning against lesser teams now so that should help their confidence.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:48 pm Absolutely. A lot of lax left. BU has talent and if they put it together then they are a problem in the PL. they remind me a bit of Loyola last year. they are winning against lesser teams now so that should help their confidence.
Continuing on with the PL games and then eventually Georgetown.. what needs to happen to the attack and the midfield for the offense to flow and work smoothly?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:00 pm Kind of at a loss for words after watching that.

3/6ths of the entire two midfield units were shut out tonight. The only midfielders to score a point were bateman, kamish and poitras.

Tell me how a freshman had the ability and the steel nerves to attempt to dodge, shoot and score against a defense but the upperclassmen had a very very tough time doing so.

The worst worst game I’ve seen from James and Higgins in terms of production. On offense Duke wasn’t even doin anything too complicated??? Their ball movement and dodgers were just SO much faster

I think the team will use this game as an inflection point. You can learn from losses like this, and I think they realize they’re still a good team but they also need to work and refine some units.

Edit: I heard higgins was hurt and poitras took big hits to the body and head on that dive attempt in I think Q1 or Q2. I really hope those two are okay
Wow. Had to take a couple of days off to let this one register. For the third time in four games Higgins was a no show. 0 points on 8 shots. James was also shut out and Poitras only had one point. When Bateman who got his first point (assist) in two years is tied for your leading middie scorer you have a real problem. Minicus and Lindsay consistently produce.
We get killed on FO and GBs. Duke just had way more speed and size. Much more athletic. Was shocked when we beat them last year. Was even more shocked at halftime down 14-2 Friday. Need to regroup big time. Need Kamish to get healthy enough to play more minutes and need midfielder to do more offensively. Murphy looked great early but has done nothing recently. Bucknell then Army should tell us a lot.
Beckhamlax

Post by Beckhamlax »

I’ve watched a lot of BU lacrosse and haven’t seen them this inconsistent for 4 quarters like they are this year. I think they’re playing down to competition a little and I agree, we won’t know much until we see them against better comp which really doesn’t come until their last 4 games.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”