Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxbro11

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by laxbro11 »

Serious question.

Why do you think the offense is so much more efficient this year than last? Reality is that only Olmstead and Lindley were replaced. I have my ideas, but would like to hear what others have to say.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The hounds are taking higher percentage shots. Doing better converting in transition, and emo.

The eyeeball test tells me they are moving the ball faster, and sharing the ball. It’s not dying in one stick. Everyone gets a touch, and if there’s nothing there, the ball moves on quickly.

It’s also a much smaller sample size so far, this year. But the Hounds are off to a much better start.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:45 am The hounds are taking higher percentage shots. Doing better converting in transition, and emo.

The eyeeball test tells me they are moving the ball faster, and sharing the ball. It’s not dying in one stick. Everyone gets a touch, and if there’s nothing there, the ball moves on quickly.

It’s also a much smaller sample size so far, this year. But the Hounds are off to a much better start.
Don't get me wrong, I love what I am seeing so far, but we need to remember the season is still young. Our sample size is small. Last year's team torched Duke the same way this year's team torched MD. We need to see a larger body of work to draw conclusions about the offense overall. I'm still high on the Hounds, but want to see how we handle teams like Army, BU, Lehigh, and Georgetown.

Along the same lines, I'm not sure if everyone saw how Quint absolutely disrespected the Hounds in his latest weekly poll. Last week he called us puppy dogs, but this week he went much further by dismissing our big wins. He claimed the MD victory was basically a fluke because McNaney wasnt seeing the ball well, and we only beat Hopkins because they were missing 2 starters. Then he cited the scare against Towson and the lackluster win over Lafayette. In short, he's not sold on the Hounds yet. Not sure what excuse he could manufacture to dismiss a win in Durham.

Go Hounds!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Quint has never been a Loyola fan.
But in fairness, no one is a Quint fan.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:32 pm Quint has never been a Loyola fan.
:lol:

This is true. He never fails to mention that Ridley has "the best student section in college lacrosse," but he rarely praises the team.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Maybe Toomey forgot to send him a Christmas card or something, but you are correct, Hounds get no respect from Quint.

Furthermore, he said the Hounds had to hold on to beat Lafayette. What? Toomey was playing his bench late in the 3rd and totally in the 4th. He put in a new goalie etc... The game was over early in the 3rd. Hounds cruised.

But here's the deal. Hounds play Duke at 7:00pm. They are used to playing in the early part of the day. They have to ride the bus down. Will they be energized? It will just feel different. And does Koskinen Stadium have natural grass or turf? Than can also be a difference if it has been raining and they expect rain on Friday in Durham...

I expect a tough game and the odds favor Duke.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:32 pm Quint has never been a Loyola fan.
:lol:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxbro11 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:16 am Serious question.

Why do you think the offense is so much more efficient this year than last? Reality is that only Olmstead and Lindley were replaced. I have my ideas, but would like to hear what others have to say.
I am not the expert in Men's Lax, only have daughters, but I see a team that isn't sitting around watching the "stars" executing the offense. Sometimes a team is better by subtraction when the leaders are put in a position of carrying the heavy load...I like the two you mention above as players and young men, but I see a team that is more like the Hounds Women's team. Multiple threats without a prescribed formula or sequence. Just an observation from a Red haired rasta man with no Men's lacrosse knowledge.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

What I want to know is if the midfield is going to show up against the Duke defense. They’re tough to attack from behind the cage so the only other options are a wing dodge or a dodge from top of the box.

Ideally, you’d want a physical dodger who can run by… that would be both heuston, higgins and poitras but heuston is still out. So it’s really up to the latter to get the ball spinning. I’d like to see Cote and McCullough get some more runs from the midfield line. These two show flashes of getting separation not cus of their speed but from the way they use their body.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Also, Fridays game is not just a barometer for the season in a tough road environment against a top team.. but loyola kind of need to get this off their back.

If my notes are right, the hounds haven’t won in Durham since 2001. Even with Spencer they lost in 17 and 19 on the road.

Duke definitely wants payback after last years upset win, and if loyola pulls this off this means IMO, that they really are in the hunt for a big year
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:06 pm Also, Fridays game is not just a barometer for the season in a tough road environment against a top team.. but loyola kind of need to get this off their back.

If my notes are right, the hounds haven’t won in Durham since 2001. Even with Spencer they lost in 17 and 19 on the road.

Duke definitely wants payback after last years upset win, and if loyola pulls this off this means IMO, that they really are in the hunt for a big year
They haven't even played well since 2013
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Not off to a great start Need to settle down
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Dukes causing the defense to slide all over the place with their guys.

We can’t get a stop
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Getting boat raced in the 1st quarter

6-1 currently for Duke.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:18 pm Dukes causing the defense to slide all over the place with their guys.

We can’t get a stop
Zone didn't work either.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

GreyingHound wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:23 pm
houndace1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:18 pm Dukes causing the defense to slide all over the place with their guys.

We can’t get a stop
Zone didn't work either.
Also doesn’t help with the offense tries to shoot early and doesn’t give the defense a breather.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yowzer !
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Hounds getting hammered...Duke up 14 - 2 at the half.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

At some point you have to play an away game where you are ready to go at full speed from the first whistle
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

TheBigIguana wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:12 pm At some point you have to play an away game where you are ready to go at full speed from the first whistle
They were ready to go…home
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”