Boston College v. UNC 3/3/23 at 4:00

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Boston College v. UNC 3/3/23 at 4:00

Post by DMac »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:57 pm Another pet peeve is no assist is given on a successful FPS. Often times it's the pass that sets up the FPS, and often times as well, the recipient of that pass likely would have scored had she been able to shoot the shot. They aint gonna include that in the assist stats anytime soon but they sure should, IMHO.
Watching the Duke-ND replay, just saw a classic example of this. ND girl gets a nice pass in front of the cage, turns and shoots and puts the shot in. Whistle had blown for a shooting space call, goal is no good (looked mighty simultaneous to me, thought it should count). Girl goes to the arc, drives in and puts the ball in the goal. Now there's no assist on this play, feeder gets screwed out of an assist there.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I was traveling on Friday and was watching the game sporadically on my phone. I re-watched the game and was thoroughly impressed with UNC's defense. They play a tough woman on woman defense without a zone and without crazy slides. They let their defenders go to work. This might be the best defensive group in the country.

On offense they really spread the ball and so many girls are notching points including a bunch of freshmen. UNC is definitely better than most people thought they would be (including me). I thought this would be a re-loading year but maybe not.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:08 pm I was traveling on Friday and was watching the game sporadically on my phone. I re-watched the game and was thoroughly impressed with UNC's defense. They play a tough woman on woman defense without a zone and without crazy slides. They let their defenders go to work. This might be the best defensive group in the country.

On offense they really spread the ball and so many girls are notching points including a bunch of freshmen. UNC is definitely better than most people thought they would be (including me). I thought this would be a re-loading year but maybe not.
The beauty of the offense was, to my eyes anyway, that everyone had the green light. Everyone knew that everyone had the green light. Everyone knew that they weren't going to get scowled at or benched for a mistake. When you play young players, you have to let them try, fail, try again. And it seemed to me that Levy let them know all of that. Not a UNC fan, but gotta hand it to them.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:34 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:57 pm Another pet peeve is no assist is given on a successful FPS. Often times it's the pass that sets up the FPS, and often times as well, the recipient of that pass likely would have scored had she been able to shoot the shot. They aint gonna include that in the assist stats anytime soon but they sure should, IMHO.
Watching the Duke-ND replay, just saw a classic example of this. ND girl gets a nice pass in front of the cage, turns and shoots and puts the shot in. Whistle had blown for a shooting space call, goal is no good (looked mighty simultaneous to me, thought it should count). Girl goes to the arc, drives in and puts the ball in the goal. Now there's no assist on this play, feeder gets screwed out of an assist there.
Understand what you are saying here, but I am sure it all balances out in the long run. I see more assists given to players where no assist should be given. Just because you pass the ball to a teammate doesn’t mean you warrant an assist. Many times I see a pass, a girl dodge two defenders and an assist is awarded. Just saying.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

TNLAX wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:00 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:34 pm
Understand what you are saying here, but I am sure it all balances out in the long run. I see more assists given to players where no assist should be given. Just because you pass the ball to a teammate doesn’t mean you warrant an assist. Many times I see a pass, a girl dodge two defenders and an assist is awarded. Just saying.
In today's game, an assist basically means you had possession of the ball on offense before the player that scores. They are given very generously..
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:03 pm
In today's game, an assist basically means you had possession of the ball on offense before the player that scores. They are given very generously..
When I was doing stats (HS) I talked with a well respected Referee (national creds). She told me that if the player took more than 2 or 3 steps or had to make a dodge, no assist.

That is what I expect most Lax people think of re: assists.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Generally agree with that but all assists are not created equal. In the Liberty-JMU game, Buchanan, the JMU GK, made a save and saw that the Liberty GK was way out of the cage and up the field quite a bit. Buchanan launched about a sixty yard (might have been longer) pass that hit the ground and was then chased down and picked up by Epke who threw the ball in the empty cage. Was a very smart play, she didn't need to put the ball in Epke's stick, just put it in front of her so she could chase it down. I see Buchanan was credited with an assist on that play and I absolutely think she should have been.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:24 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:03 pm
When I was doing stats (HS) I talked with a well respected Referee (national creds). She told me that if the player took more than 2 or 3 steps or had to make a dodge, no assist.

That is what I expect most Lax people think of re: assists.
Me too. I was a scorekeeper for high school games and only gave the assist if the scorer didn't have to beat someone to get the hands free. I probably screwed kids out of a thousand assists. Mea culpa.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

Awesome that the JMU goal keeper got the assist, that is the correct stat to record.

Assists, turnovers, and caused turnovers all involve judgement calls from the stat keeper so they are wildy inconsistent.

Women's lax stat manual defines these (I think I publish this link every other year) http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Man ... wlax23.pdf

For assists:

SECTION 3—ASSISTS
Philosophy. An assist is not necessarily credited to a player who
makes a pass before a goal. There should be conscious effort on
the part of the passer to find an open player for a shot or to help
a player work free for a shot. There should be no particular time
frame for an assist (although the pass and shot should appear to
be part of the same play) nor should there be any rigid distance
factor in the play (the player scoring the goal could take one step,
several steps, or even run a number of yards with the ball and still
have the passer credited with an assist). An assist should not be
credited on a play when the goal scorer dodges a defensive player
after receiving the pass before shooting unless, in the opinion of
the statistician, it was the pass itself and not the dodge that led
directly to the shot.
Article 1. A player is credited with an assist when she makes, in
the opinion of the statistician, a pass contributing directly to a goal.
An assist cannot be credited to any player other than the one who
had the ball immediately before the player credited with the goal.
Last edited by LaxDad23 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:06 pm Generally agree with that but all assists are not created equal. In the Liberty-JMU game, Buchanan, the JMU GK, made a save and saw that the Liberty GK was way out of the cage and up the field quite a bit. Buchanan launched about a sixty yard (might have been longer) pass that hit the ground and was then chased down and picked up by Epke who threw the ball in the empty cage. Was a very smart play, she didn't need to put the ball in Epke's stick, just put it in front of her so she could chase it down. I see Buchanan was credited with an assist on that play and I absolutely think she should have been.
Not disagreeing with you. I think somewhere between the definition I was given and the hockey assist is what I would like to see. Sometimes there are 2 awesome passes and no up field movement/dodging leading to a goal. Up to 2 assists would be my ideal, but having trained folks assessing that would be required.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxDad23 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:06 pm Awesome that the JMU goal keeper got the assist, that is the correct stat to record.

Assists, turnovers, and caused turnovers all involve judgement calls from the stat keeper so they are wildy inconsistent.

Women's lax stat manual defines these (I think I publish this link every other year) http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Man ... wlax23.pdf

For assists:

SECTION 3—ASSISTS
Philosophy. An assist is not necessarily credited to a player who
makes a pass before a goal. There should be conscious effort on
the part of the passer to find an open player for a shot or to help
a player work free for a shot. There should be no particular time
frame for an assist (although the pass and shot should appear to
be part of the same play) nor should there be any rigid distance
factor in the play (the player scoring the goal could take one step,
several steps, or even run a number of yards with the ball and still
have the passer credited with an assist). An assist should not be
credited on a play when the goal scorer dodges a defensive player
after receiving the pass before shooting unless, in the opinion of
the statistician, it was the pass itself and not the dodge that led
directly to the shot.
Article 1. A player is credited with an assist when she makes, in
the opinion of the statistician, a pass contributing directly to a goal.
An assist cannot be credited to any player other than the one who
had the ball immediately before the player credited with the goal.
good get. was going to do the same, but you are faster than I am.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

There are also stats we used to keep for our high school team that aren't recorded (at least publicly) any more.

Draw Attempts -- Who took the draw?
Draw wins -- did the draw taker's team win the possession? Therefore, credit the draw taker and add to her draw win %age.

Now all we get are draw controls.

We used to keep separately, Free positions awarded, Free position shots, Free position goals. It seems lately (in the games that I have watched), there is a higher percentage of awarded, but no FP shot taken.

Also, depending on the service reporting the stats, you don't get the full picture of players getting into a game. For most of these services, you had to have a stat -- goal, shot, TO, CTO, etc. So, game participation is under-reported. I think it mostly impacts defenders, and Middies.
DMac

Post by DMac »

LaxDad23 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:15 pm So, game participation is under-reported. I think it mostly impacts defenders, and Middies.
Agree with this. Back to the no assist on a FPS. Girl throws a pass, receiver of pass turns and shoots and scores but the goal is called off because of shooting space. She then goes to the arc and puts the FPS in. No assist on the play now....game participation under-reported. This actually happens quite often and even if the girl doesn't get the shot off because shooting space is called the girl who threw the pass should get the assist if the goal is scored on the FPS, IMO.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”