York 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: York 2023

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:29 pm Deep, you’ve got the pulse of York as well as anyone. I watched the RIT/York highlights on RIT’s site. RIT may be ranked #1 but I don’t believe they are close to last years team which I think that ranking is mostly based on especially after seeing the highlights. Right now again just from the eye test Salisbury and Lynchburg were both playing at a very high level this weekend, they both looked very strong. I know Gburg beat Salisbury and I’ll get a look at them this weekend when W&L plays them. W&L’s issue in this game will be question marks in the goal and are they capable of FOUR qtrs of very high level play. They’ve get to do that for all 4, second qtr Denison was not pretty then played a great second half. You can’t do that with top 10 teams. Good luck this week, I want you to win out and make the Gennies win count
RIT definitely is a different team than last year (they pretty much all are), and they’re also definitely ranked based on last years performance, coupled with having yet to get knocked off.

I did watch the RIT game, and I haven’t seen the RIT highlights. I have also now watched just about the first half of the Salisbury Lynchburg game (YouTube has it). I’m not seeing something that makes me feel like one game (or team for that matter) is at another level than the others. 4+ min into the game without a Salisbury shot. That can be credited to Lynchburg’s D, but it can’t simultaneously be used to support Salisbury being next level. Saw dropped passes, ground ball scrums, FO violations, turnovers in transition etc. Entertaining lacrosse played by two well matched teams, but nothing has shouted to me yet that the other two teams wouldn’t be able to play on the same field.

Not sure what in the RIT highlights is pointing to RIT not being as good as last year (I don’t think that they are, I just find it odd that that conclusion is drawn from their very own highlights). I’ll have to go seek them out and see.

As with W&L and Gettysburg, we will find out soon enough. York is currently preparing to square off on Saturday with the Gulls down the shore. Here’s to hoping for another weekend of entertaining games, and may both our squads come out on top. Best of luck!
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Asgot wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:03 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:29 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:35 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:26 pm I saw the W&L /York contest then watched the Salisbury /Lynchburg. Just based on eye test I think both Lynchburg and Salisbury takes York in a competitive game. Need to look at the RIT game to change my mind but I don’t think they are at near the same level as last year losing 3 of their leading scorers. Still early
100%. If I were to base my impression of this York team off the W&L game, I wouldn’t give them a shot against too many great teams. All respect to W&L, who came out and got the W, but that was the worst performance I’ve seen out of a York team in years. Thankfully, having watched them vs Ursinus and RIT, they certainly have tightened up.

I’m not a coach, nor did I stay in a holiday inn last night, but the RIT game was clearly one of adjustments. Down 5-1 RIT made defensive adjustments, shutting down York’s hot hands. From there they began generating offense off the rush & coming out of the box (their brand of game), eventually evening the game up. York adjusted defensively to slow the momentum, and the game was relatively even from there on out. But just like RIT was able to adjust into running their down hill offense, I felt York had to make some sort of offensive adjustment to free up their hands and get room to shoot in the 2nd half to better keep up the scoring pace. RIT suffocated York’s O.

While possibly more talented than ever, York is a much younger team than in recent years. And as someone above previously mentioned, there still seems to be 2nd half issues. Perhaps it’s an issue of adjustments/flexibility in approach from some of the youth, or perhaps it’s the quality of coaches and opponents they’re going up against, making their own adjustments at the half.

If they grow half as much as they did between the W&L game and the RIT game, they’ll be more than just fine. Heck, we’re talking like they didn’t just play the #1, defending back to back national champion, to one goal (leading them for half the game).
Deep, you’ve got the pulse of York as well as anyone. I watched the RIT/York highlights on RIT’s site. RIT may be ranked #1 but I don’t believe they are close to last years team which I think that ranking is mostly based on especially after seeing the highlights. Right now again just from the eye test Salisbury and Lynchburg were both playing at a very high level this weekend, they both looked very strong. I know Gburg beat Salisbury and I’ll get a look at them this weekend when W&L plays them. W&L’s issue in this game will be question marks in the goal and are they capable of FOUR qtrs of very high level play. They’ve get to do that for all 4, second qtr Denison was not pretty then played a great second half. You can’t do that with top 10 teams. Good luck this week, I want you to win out and make the Gennies win count
I agree with the idea that RIT is not playing as well as last year and is truly probably number three behind Tufts and CNU. We get to see them against CNU in a couple of weeks. That being said York is playing better than they did in the 2nd half of the W&L game. I think that W&L v Gettysburg is goi g to be a great game and I can’t wait to see it.
I don't want to get off the York subject here, but since CNU keeps coming up, does everyone believe CNU should be ranked so high? True they are 4-0, and yes they beat York in the scrimmage, but do people believe they are quality wins against high output teams? They are putting up good numbers, but I just dont know. I guess we'll know better once they get to the middle of their schedule. I'm looking forward to seeing them be tested in a few weeks.
Laxrealist

Post by Laxrealist »

Rankings - legitimately based in part on last year, but who really cares right now? What follows are not rankings, just observations.
Rit - to my eye, not what they were, but still very very good.
Salisbury - very good, but also not what they've been. Hero ball and led by, surprise, attackman in his 6th year? 7th year? Approaching middle-age?
Gettysburg - really tough and strong, like last year. Will only get better. Have to be ranked ahead of Salisbury since beat them, but again, who really cares too much right now. But struggled against an average Stevenson team.
Tufts - always a powerhouse in my view, but we'll see when they play tougher competition. I am probably unduly swayed by their overwhelming of York in 2021, but York did not prepare properly or have a good game plan in my opinion.
CNU - Expect that they are very very good, but haven't watched them yet and don't think they've played anyone to give us real insight. Won't know until they play RIT in a few weeks. Preseason scrimmage against York is completely irrelevant but they undoubtedly want revenge against York for handing them a DEVASTATING loss in the quarters last year. What a game! Best and most significant win in YCP program history. Shocked an expectant CNU team and fan base.
Lynchburg - Will be solid as always, but long shot to compete for title.
W&L - not sold at all. They were horrid in the 1st half against York and York completely gave it away in the 2nd half. I give them less credit for taking that game than I do York throwing it away. I expect Gettysburg to roll them, although G-burg didn't look great against an average Stevenson team.
Union and St John Fisher - no real idea. Haven't seen them yet but understand STF lost a lot and perhaps Union did as well. 2nd tier.
York - Hard to say. Not good against W&L. Looked good against Ursinus, but Ursinus isn't a top team. Looked really good against RIT except for 2nd half drought by offense - Facciponi kept them in it. Salisbury will be a big litmus test. Thereafter, they ought to beat F&M; Amherst is a ??? so we'll see, then the schedule eases other than Gettysburg. Conference, including Stevenson based on what I've seen, ought to be no problem.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxrealist wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:44 pm Rankings - legitimately based in part on last year, but who really cares right now? What follows are not rankings, just observations.
Salisbury - very good, but also not what they've been. Hero ball and led by, surprise, attackman in his 6th year? 7th year? Approaching middle-age?
Gettysburg - really tough and strong, like last year. Will only get better. Have to be ranked ahead of Salisbury since beat them, but again, who really cares too much right now. But struggled against an average Stevenson team.
Tufts - always a powerhouse in my view, but we'll see when they play tougher competition. I am probably unduly swayed by their overwhelming of York in 2021, but York did not prepare properly or have a good game plan in my opinion.
CNU - Expect that they are very very good, but haven't watched them yet and don't think they've played anyone to give us real insight. Won't know until they play RIT in a few weeks. Preseason scrimmage against York is completely irrelevant but they undoubtedly want revenge against York for handing them a DEVASTATING loss in the quarters last year. What a game! Best and most significant win in YCP program history. Shocked an expectant CNU team and fan base.
W&L - not sold at all. They were horrid in the 1st half against York and York completely gave it away in the 2nd half. I give them less credit for taking that game than I do York throwing it away. I expect Gettysburg to roll them, although G-burg didn't look great against an average Stevenson team.
Union and St John Fisher - no real idea. Haven't seen them yet but understand STF lost a lot and perhaps Union did as well. 2nd tier.
York - Hard to say. Not good against W&L. Looked good against Ursinus, but Ursinus isn't a top team. Looked really good against RIT except for 2nd half drought by offense - Facciponi kept them in it. Salisbury will be a big litmus test. Thereafter, they ought to beat F&M; Amherst is a ??? so we'll see, then the schedule eases other than Gettysburg. Conference, including Stevenson based on what I've seen, ought to be no problem.
This is a good point and it may be that every team has simply leveled down slightly with the exodus of tremendous talent from last year. Union and STF lose most of their offensive output as did York, RIT, CNU and Salisbury. there were several teams that used the extra year to load up with great, experienced talented players which lead to amazing lacrosse. Objectively I feel like CNU, RIT and Tufts are 1-3 in some order while Gettysburg and W&L will settle it on the field this weekend. I am not really impressed by Dickinson's 4-0 start nor I am that impressed by Lynchburg's 3-1 start, again I maybe biased as I saw York stomp both of them in a scrimmage.

I think there is more parity in D3 college lacrosse than ever before and any team in the top 10 can beat any other team.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Asgot wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:01 am
Laxrealist wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:44 pm Rankings - legitimately based in part on last year, but who really cares right now? What follows are not rankings, just observations.
This is a good point and it may be that every team has simply leveled down slightly with the exodus of tremendous talent from last year. Union and STF lose most of their offensive output as did York, RIT, CNU and Salisbury. there were several teams that used the extra year to load up with great, experienced talented players which lead to amazing lacrosse. Objectively I feel like CNU, RIT and Tufts are 1-3 in some order while Gettysburg and W&L will settle it on the field this weekend. I am not really impressed by Dickinson's 4-0 start nor I am that impressed by Lynchburg's 3-1 start, again I maybe biased as I saw York stomp both of them in a scrimmage.

I think there is more parity in D3 college lacrosse than ever before and any team in the top 10 can beat any other team.
Very interesting point. It feels as though some of the top teams don’t look as dominant as before. But we must realize that groups of fifth and sixth years are now gone across the country. RIT, York and CNU for example lost KEY fifth and sixth year players that played at such a high level ( as they should for being that tenured). It will be exciting to see what young players step up.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Asgot wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:03 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:29 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:35 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:26 pm I saw the W&L /York contest then watched the Salisbury /Lynchburg. Just based on eye test I think both Lynchburg and Salisbury takes York in a competitive game. Need to look at the RIT game to change my mind but I don’t think they are at near the same level as last year losing 3 of their leading scorers. Still early
100%. If I were to base my impression of this York team off the W&L game, I wouldn’t give them a shot against too many great teams. All respect to W&L, who came out and got the W, but that was the worst performance I’ve seen out of a York team in years. Thankfully, having watched them vs Ursinus and RIT, they certainly have tightened up.

I’m not a coach, nor did I stay in a holiday inn last night, but the RIT game was clearly one of adjustments. Down 5-1 RIT made defensive adjustments, shutting down York’s hot hands. From there they began generating offense off the rush & coming out of the box (their brand of game), eventually evening the game up. York adjusted defensively to slow the momentum, and the game was relatively even from there on out. But just like RIT was able to adjust into running their down hill offense, I felt York had to make some sort of offensive adjustment to free up their hands and get room to shoot in the 2nd half to better keep up the scoring pace. RIT suffocated York’s O.

While possibly more talented than ever, York is a much younger team than in recent years. And as someone above previously mentioned, there still seems to be 2nd half issues. Perhaps it’s an issue of adjustments/flexibility in approach from some of the youth, or perhaps it’s the quality of coaches and opponents they’re going up against, making their own adjustments at the half.

If they grow half as much as they did between the W&L game and the RIT game, they’ll be more than just fine. Heck, we’re talking like they didn’t just play the #1, defending back to back national champion, to one goal (leading them for half the game).
Deep, you’ve got the pulse of York as well as anyone. I watched the RIT/York highlights on RIT’s site. RIT may be ranked #1 but I don’t believe they are close to last years team which I think that ranking is mostly based on especially after seeing the highlights. Right now again just from the eye test Salisbury and Lynchburg were both playing at a very high level this weekend, they both looked very strong. I know Gburg beat Salisbury and I’ll get a look at them this weekend when W&L plays them. W&L’s issue in this game will be question marks in the goal and are they capable of FOUR qtrs of very high level play. They’ve get to do that for all 4, second qtr Denison was not pretty then played a great second half. You can’t do that with top 10 teams. Good luck this week, I want you to win out and make the Gennies win count
I agree with the idea that RIT is not playing as well as last year and is truly probably number three behind Tufts and CNU. We get to see them against CNU in a couple of weeks. That being said York is playing better than they did in the 2nd half of the W&L game. I think that W&L v Gettysburg is goi g to be a great game and I can’t wait to see it.
W&L needs to get some solid goal play if they are going to beat a top ten team and as of now that’s a big question that needs to be answered. They were fortunate against York
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

The latest release of the IL DIII podcast eviscerated the Salisbury D on the heels of their Lynchburg performance.

When Salisbury went zone, Lynchburg had answers. When RIT went zone, York did not. I’m certain they’ve spent a lot of time this week working on O packages to go to when faced with a zone.

Here’s looking forward to a great game between these two familiar foes.

Going 14-12 York.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

If W&L takes care of business against the Bullets this weekend and York upsets Salisbury I’ll have a great weekend. Already projecting where W&L could be ranked. Assuming Greene has Ferrara and can keep him at or below last years 3-1 I’d take that as a win. York has a puncher’s chance in this round. Gulls Defazio is a force at LSM that will be a significant factor as well. Hard to believe goal play is an issue for the Gulls but Shahin is overdue to play at an AA level. Great action this weekend
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

York 13
Salisbury 12
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

I'm going with York 11, Salisbury 9
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

York 15
SU 12

York will be more aggressive on offense than in the last two losses
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

AbeFroeman wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:44 am York 15
SU 12

Salisbury 15-8
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:51 am
SU 12

Salisbury 15-8
Lol. I guess nobody responding to this in the C2C thread meant you’d take it over here in search of a dance partner. I’m sure you’ll find one eventually, but it won’t be me.

Here’s hoping for a great game!
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:29 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:51 am
SU 12

Salisbury 15-8
Lol. I guess nobody responding to this in the C2C thread meant you’d take it over here in search of a dance partner. I’m sure you’ll find one eventually, but it won’t be me.

Here’s hoping for a great game!
You're already dancin, now go get the potato chip crumbs out of your beard.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

Haven't gotten the chance to see either team play a ton but just based off returners and box score watching I'm going Gulls 15-14 in 2OT.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:07 pm If W&L takes care of business against the Bullets this weekend and York upsets Salisbury I’ll have a great weekend. Already projecting where W&L could be ranked. Assuming Greene has Ferrara and can keep him at or below last years 3-1 I’d take that as a win. York has a puncher’s chance in this round. Gulls Defazio is a force at LSM that will be a significant factor as well. Hard to believe goal play is an issue for the Gulls but Shahin is overdue to play at an AA level. Great action this weekend
Greene has been running LSM exclusively. Looks like the task will be up to Hull, Biava, and Blackmon. Biava’s numbers would indicate that he is the better shutdown man, but tbh nobody has jumped off the screen for me in that regard. I guess that could be a good thing when switching etc, as no one jumps off the screen as being exposed much either. Just a solid D core that is settling into place together.

They did great vs RITs known threats, Bell and Pilcher, holding them to 3 goals collectively. It was the Freshman Allison, who came in with just 2 goals on the year, that was able to light it up for 4.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Greene has played close D before so it's a possibility. The good thing about York's D is that they are almost all interchangeable. You can drop Greene or Rut down close or put Hull or Biava up at LSM. Doubt they will, but you never know. From the games I've seen, I also haven't noticed 1 guy or another stand out more or be a weakness at close D. I take the stats with a grain of salt, which have been notoriously wrong game by game and over the years. Based on the eye test, I think they have the talent and should continue to gel game over game. Really looking forward to this contest. If the offense can play 60 minutes I think they'll come out with the win.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

MacAttack wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:52 pm Greene has played close D before so it's a possibility. The good thing about York's D is that they are almost all interchangeable. You can drop Greene or Rut down close or put Hull or Biava up at LSM. Doubt they will, but you never know. From the games I've seen, I also haven't noticed 1 guy or another stand out more or be a weakness at close D. I take the stats with a grain of salt, which have been notoriously wrong game by game and over the years. Based on the eye test, I think they have the talent and should continue to gel game over game. Really looking forward to this contest. If the offense can play 60 minutes I think they'll come out with the win.
Agreed. In that past, Bergman has done a good job utilizing someone a bit lower on their depth chart to have an impact, someone harder to scout. Ex: #12 Sanchez in the past had a couple goals, who most likely wasn’t on their radar. Going to be a great game.

York - 14
Salisbury - 11
BIGDAWG

Post by BIGDAWG »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm hearing from members on both teams that Salisbury wins comfortably. They are extra motivated after a tough few weeks and Berkman threatened to take away their second helmets if they lose. Plus everyone knows that Maryland is the state with lacrosse not Pennsylvania. Furthermore, my sources at York said they had a bad week at practice, balls were flying everywhere. One thing I learned playing the game is that BAD PASSES KILL TRANSITION and York has too many of those. Me personally though hope for a tight game.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

BIGDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:04 pm Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm hearing from members on both teams that Salisbury wins comfortably. They are extra motivated after a tough few weeks and Berkman threatened to take away their second helmets if they lose. Plus everyone knows that Maryland is the state with lacrosse not Pennsylvania. Furthermore, my sources at York said they had a bad week at practice, balls were flying everywhere. One thing I learned playing the game is that BAD PASSES KILL TRANSITION and York has too many of those. Me personally though hope for a tight game.
:lol:

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”