Upcoming Best Games 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: Upcoming Best Games 2023

Post by njbill »

Can, perhaps you can put the middle school insults aside and discuss the merits. I’m probably hoping against hope, but that’s my request.

In my post from earlier today that set you off, I said, “Hopefully BC has changed their policy to allow fans of the opposing team. Pretty sure it didn’t used to be that way based on reports and the video and audio of games (you don’t see or hear opposing fans. E.g. Duke game).”

I watched the Duke game live which is what I was basing my video/audio comment on. I didn’t see any Duke fans though in reviewing the game film you posted today, it appears the cameras only infrequently showed the crowd. What I didn’t see was a “sea of blue” comparable to the “sea of orange” I saw at Clemson’s game at Notre Dame’s indoor facility a week later.

You say the game film supports your view that Duke fans cheered a Duke goal. I think you are wrong. I think what you heard was the Duke sideline cheering. Agree?

Earlier you posted a twitter video that had shots of the fans side of the field. I had not seen that video before. After looking at it, I said I did see a few Duke fans, something you have blithely ignored in your subsequent posts. You say you see 20 Duke fans. I do not see anywhere near 20 people clearly identifiable as Duke fans. I suspect you are counting anyone who is wearing blue. Regardless, neither you nor I really knows who was a Duke fan and who wasn’t. I believe it is legal to wear blue in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, which after all is a blue state. And even if there were 20 Duke fans (which I think is an overstatement), that was, what, 5%?, 10%?,15%? of the entire crowd (my estimate as BC evidently does not include attendance in the box score). Certainly nowhere near 50%. I assume you agree with that.

But backing up, for I think a couple years now BC has put “closed to the public” on its website for homes games being played indoors. That statement is not accurate. Indeed, BC allows some members of the public inside for games. The BC fans who are allowed inside are “the public.” I assume you don’t dispute that.

Putting aside the nettlesome website statement, if BC is going to allow members of the public to watch games in person and if seating is limited (as it often is at indoor facilities), the fans of the visiting team should have an adequate and equal opportunity to attend the game in person. Do you disagree with that?

Some people are saying BC now splits the tickets 50/50 between the teams with each player getting two (one account) or four (another account) tickets. Duke has 42 players on their roster, so that would be 84 or 168 tickets if those accounts are correct. BC has 34 players, which would be 68 or 136 tickets. No way there were anywhere near 84 or 168 Duke fans at the game. I think you would concede that. It is simply not true that there were an equal number of Duke and BC fans at the game. Even you say you only see 20 Duke fans, which as I said was only about 5%-15% of the crowd.

You seem to claim BC has never denied access to fans of the opposing team, yet a disparate group of unrelated people contradict that. Some are first person reports, not that other accounts aren’t equally valid. Indeed, you have not said you attended the Duke game, which you assuredly would have if you had been there. I guess you get an exception to requirement that only “first person accounts” are to be credited.

To sum up my position in a nutshell, BC has in the past precluded or limited access to opposing fans. The overwhelming anecdotal and video evidence, including your twitter video of the Duke game, demonstrates that. If BC is now giving the opposing team 50% of the tickets, that’s good and a fair and reasonable way to run things.

Hopefully this issue will be resolved when the COP is opened.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You guys have to help me a little bit, tell me the time to click on where I'm going to see fans. I see about 20+ people at this game behind the iron barriers at one end of the field, proceeding beyond the barriers is verboten, all beyond it are authorized personnel. None on the sidelines (that I see). I don't see how anything can be determined from what I see of the alleged crowd here.
I got nuthin' still.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

I have no idea about the Duke game but as I said before I know for a fact that many USC parents were not allowed inside. These were parents, not additional family members. Considering the games are all marked “Closed to Public” I assume the same thing happened for the Duke game. Not sure why there is such an argument about this.
bhall123

Post by bhall123 »

I'm posting as a public service for those who might receive an invite to one of these "Closed Events" at the Fish Field House, that are thankfully over for this year. There is only limited space (maybe 5 feet) behind a designated line along one of the sidelines where spectators can safely stand, so admission is limited.

2 tickets per player are allowed with no special provision for parents.
Players designate who they want on the sidelines with their team and a list of names is provided to BC security
It is frustrating to everyone including the BC parents, but if you're name isn't on the list provided by the team or you can't produce a form of identification, you are not getting in.
Since bags aren't allowed it's not uncommon for people to forget their ID so that may be why some parents may have been excluded.
At game time, there really is no time for appeal, so if parents are being turned away it's because their names weren't on the list or they don't have ID.

I was at the Duke game, and it was the same as a game I attended at Fish last year. Opposing parents/fans tend to gravitate to the far end of the open sideline and there is limited mixing. There was no shortage of Duke fans. I switch sides every quarter to follow the goalie play and as usual I found myself in the middle of Duke parents along with some BC defense parents. There was no shortage of Duke fans, but there seemed to be less than the BC fans. The atmosphere is less than electric on both sides, probably due to the space constraints.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Thank you for your calm, non-hyperbolic, response. Makes sense.

Perhaps next season (I know your level of interest will be dropping off dramatically then :)) BC could revise their system to implement electronic ticketing or something similar (even paper tickets). A system that causes parents to be turned away after making a long trip simply because their names aren’t on some list doesn’t seem like the best way to operate.

Just did a quick check. Looks like BC has only been using this indoor facility for a couple of years or so. Maybe they are still working out the kinks.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

This Weekend's 25 Best Games in order...

1 North Carolina vs Virginia 3/11/2023
2 Northwestern vs Stony Brook 3/10/2023
3 Boston College vs Louisville 3/11/2023
4 Syracuse vs Notre Dame 3/11/2023
5 Florida vs Loyola 3/11/2023
6 Villanova vs Maryland 3/11/2023
7 James Madison vs Johns Hopkins 3/11/2023
8 Penn State vs Rutgers 3/11/2023
9 UConn vs Yale 3/11/2023
10 Princeton vs USC 3/10/2023
11 Jacksonville vs Penn 3/11/2023
12 UMass vs Richmond 3/11/2023
13 Michigan vs Cincinnati 3/12/2023
14 Drexel vs Fairfield 3/11/2023
15 Clemson vs Duke 3/11/2023
16 Army vs Boston U 3/11/2023
17 Stanford vs UAlbany 3/12/2023
18 Temple vs UMBC 3/11/2023
19 Hofstra vs USC 3/12/2023
20 UC Davis vs Marquette 3/12/2023
21 Georgetown vs Monmouth 3/11/2023
22 Columbia vs Cornell 3/11/2023
23 Delaware vs Niagara 3/11/2023
24 Virginia Tech vs Pitt 3/11/2023
25 Ohio State vs Colorado 3/12/2023
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Okay, I now see the posted pictures and Instagram clip of fans on the sidelines, hadn't seen that before.
Yes, there are some fans there and if the policy is as described by bhall 123, who seems to know what he/she is talking about, how much more fair can you get? Frankly, I'm surprised they let any fans in there, they're too close and look like a distraction to me, to say nothing of the world we live in where we want to protect everyone from everything. Cuse has a practice facility like this where fall ball is played and they don't let anybody in.
Case closed by the eye witness' account.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:29 am This Weekend's 25 Best Games in order...

1 North Carolina vs Virginia 3/11/2023
2 Northwestern vs Stony Brook 3/10/2023

4 Syracuse vs Notre Dame 3/11/2023
5 Florida vs Loyola 3/11/2023
6 Villanova vs Maryland 3/11/2023
7 James Madison vs Johns Hopkins 3/11/2023

9 UConn vs Yale 3/11/2023

12 UMass vs Richmond 3/11/2023

24 Virginia Tech vs Pitt 3/11/2023
Some tasty games there....
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:05 am Thank you for your calm, non-hyperbolic, response. Makes sense.

Perhaps next season (I know your level of interest will be dropping off dramatically then :)) BC could revise their system to implement electronic ticketing or something similar (even paper tickets). A system that causes parents to be turned away after making a long trip simply because their names aren’t on some list doesn’t seem like the best way to operate.

Just did a quick check. Looks like BC has only been using this indoor facility for a couple of years or so. Maybe they are still working out the kinks.
Electronic ticketing! What a novel idea - I know a school that does that and it works great. 😉
DMac

Post by DMac »

I do too and have to admit it does indeed work great, you get advance tickets texted or emailed to you.
What I think is kind of nuts though is when you walk up to the ticket booth (where you'll pay $5 more) to
get your ticket and you have to give them your phone number to have your ticket texted to you. Just hand
me a ticket, that's always worked like a champ.
njbill

Post by njbill »

You are old and set in your ways, DMac. :lol:

Me too though I have come around to the ticket on my phone thing. Really is easier.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No disagreement on any of that. First year of this at Cuse and I didn't know anything about it. Went to the booth (cashless, of course) for tickets on opening day and the guy asked for my phone number after I paid. I asked what he needed my phone number for. Of course he said to text me my ticket. Text me my ticket???? How 'bout you just hand me one? Nope, it's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new world. It's easier in that I have my ticket(s) for the Hop-Cuse game in my phone but I'm not so sure it's easier when I get to the "ticket taker". Used to be I handed them the ticket and walked in, now it's swipe, scan, swipe, scan, swipe scan (got three of them in there)....that aint quicker or easier. Ask Ketch how smoothly that goes with me. Besides that the "ticket taker" becomes susceptible to me for a longer period and I'm going to ask him/her what you would call a dog that has no legs (has never failed me, always get a laugh) and things like that.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:44 pm No disagreement on any of that. First year of this at Cuse and I didn't know anything about it. Went to the booth (cashless, of course) for tickets on opening day and the guy asked for my phone number after I paid. I asked what he needed my phone number for. Of course he said to text me my ticket. Text me my ticket???? How 'bout you just hand me one? Nope, it's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new world. It's easier in that I have my ticket(s) for the Hop-Cuse game in my phone but I'm not so sure it's easier when I get to the "ticket taker". Used to be I handed them the ticket and walked in, now it's swipe, scan, swipe, scan, swipe scan (got three of them in there)....that aint quicker or easier. Ask Ketch how smoothly that goes with me. Besides that the "ticket taker" becomes susceptible to me for a longer period and I'm going to ask him/her what you would call a dog that has no legs (has never failed me, always get a laugh) and things like that.
But think of all the trees that are being saved and the decrease in trash!
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Y'all need to start coming to Nashville for the Vanderbilt games. Very casual, no tickets required, always someone talented signing the National Anthem and always some place to go after the games :)
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:05 am Thank you for your calm, non-hyperbolic, response. Makes sense.

By "makes sense," I take it that you now acknowledge that you were incorrect in asserting that BC did not allow visiting fans into Fish at the Duke game. Thank you. It really shouldn't take 20 exchanges, videos, images, eye-witness accounts, and 500+ words for you to admit a simple mistake. The fact that you thought no visiting fans were allowed in Fish is not a federal crime. It was a simple misunderstanding on your part. Doesn't mean you are not smart or don't understand the game of lacrosse. No one is questioning your manhood. You made an assertion that turned out to be off base. I have no earthly idea why a grown man wouldn't simply say: "Oops. I made a mistake."
njbill

Post by njbill »

Thank you for your gracious, magnanimous response, Mr. Wonderful or should I say Mr. Hyde.
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

TNLAX wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:46 pm Y'all need to start coming to Nashville for the Vanderbilt games. Very casual, no tickets required, always someone talented signing the National Anthem and always some place to go after the games :)
Agreed. Always a nice experience.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:44 pm No disagreement on any of that. First year of this at Cuse and I didn't know anything about it. Went to the booth (cashless, of course) for tickets on opening day and the guy asked for my phone number after I paid. I asked what he needed my phone number for. Of course he said to text me my ticket. Text me my ticket???? How 'bout you just hand me one? Nope, it's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new world. It's easier in that I have my ticket(s) for the Hop-Cuse game in my phone but I'm not so sure it's easier when I get to the "ticket taker". Used to be I handed them the ticket and walked in, now it's swipe, scan, swipe, scan, swipe scan (got three of them in there)....that aint quicker or easier. Ask Ketch how smoothly that goes with me. Besides that the "ticket taker" becomes susceptible to me for a longer period and I'm going to ask him/her what you would call a dog that has no legs (has never failed me, always get a laugh) and things like that.
They text/email your ticket to your phone, but then you've got to be able to actually know how to use your phone. And that was DMac's downfall. Thank god we weren't standing outside while he fumbled around for our "lost" tickets.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LaxThoughts wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:13 pm
TNLAX wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:46 pm Y'all need to start coming to Nashville for the Vanderbilt games. Very casual, no tickets required, always someone talented signing the National Anthem and always some place to go after the games :)
Agreed. Always a nice experience.
And boy, it sure looks like a nice venue.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Today's Best Games (in order). Some good ones, no great ones.
1 Penn State vs Towson
2 Brown vs UMass
3 Duke vs Yale
4 Cornell vs Binghamton
5 Florida vs Colgate
6 Pitt vs Liberty
7 Coastal Carolina vs Harvard
8 Stetson vs Saint Francis
9 Columbia vs William & Mary
10 UMBC vs La Salle
11 Canisius vs Robert Morris
12 Eastern Michigan vs St. Bonaventure