Towson 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
sc lax

Re: Towson 2023

Post by sc lax »

Math1234 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:28 pm
foreverlax wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:35 am
Math1234 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:02 pm They went to the FF in 2017 and had a chance in 2019 if not for falling apart down the stretch against Md. They never really capitalized recruiting-wise and losing Gilardi probably was a big factor. They also miss Avanzato this season. He was the closest thing to Drenner (31g, 25a LY). At some point, they have to figure out the attack and the midfield units because there's very little chemistry despite the fact that most are veterans.
Nads was able to get lightening in a bottle with the '17 class. They were the best of the rest, late bloomer etc. 6 of that class made the pros and another 5 that were on the team, also played at the next level. Hard to replicate that year, after year.
Not asking him to go to the FF every year or every other year. Finding an offense that doesn't turn it over 19 times per game would be nice. Putting more athletes at midfield, not just defensive midfield is not impossible. They don't need a million pros. But if you're not getting it done recruiting, how about using the transfer portal? They are 14-27 the last 41 games since the 2019 season.
:o
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Transfer Portal isn’t what it was a couple years back.
Maybe look at DII and DIII.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=416945#p416945

Recruit-wise,
Weisshaar and Vilagomez is a pretty damm good one year haul
for most teams.
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

Math1234 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:02 pm They went to the FF in 2017 and had a chance in 2019 if not for falling apart down the stretch against Md. They never really capitalized recruiting-wise and losing Gilardi probably was a big factor. They also miss Avanzato this season. He was the closest thing to Drenner (31g, 25a LY). At some point, they have to figure out the attack and the midfield units because there's very little chemistry despite the fact that most are veterans.
Nads was able to get lightening in a bottle with the '17 class. They were the best of the rest, late bloomer etc. 6 of that class made the pros and another 5 that were on the team, also played at the next level. Hard to replicate that year, after year.
Not asking him to go to the FF every year or every other year. Finding an offense that doesn't turn it over 19 times per game would be nice. Putting more athletes at midfield, not just defensive midfield is not impossible. They don't need a million pros. But if you're not getting it done recruiting, how about using the transfer portal? They are 14-27 the last 41 games since the 2019 season.
So with a record of 14-27 in the last 3 years. Is that coaching? Do players not like playing for Nads? Is it time for a coaching change???? Towson should be a perennial team. But they have not been that for a while. If your the AD what do you do?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nothin’
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:24 pmNothin’
Agree, you don't get rid of a coach like Nads. But there is definitely things that need to be changed. 3 years of below average play is a large enough sample size
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They need to look at their roster, and realistically assess who
they have.
Tigers play UVA next, how does their roster stack up against UVA ?
Well, that’s just crazy, UVA is stacked.
What about St. Joe’s, Richmond, Loyola, Delaware ?
St Joe’s front line is just massive compared to just about
everyone else, Loyola - Weisshaar compares favorably to
Minicus though he hasn’t been on the field as much, not sure
about Richmond, Delaware has Owen Grant, Tye Kurtz, JP Ward -
all all american level talent.

Could Tigers look at DII, DIII transfers - well, there is probably
less incentive for these players to transfer.
Cole Herbert, will that guy be coming on campus next year ?

Meanwhile, this season can still be salvaged.
Play as well as possible against that UVA machine, then target
the CAA - they have the talent now for that.
harflax

Post by harflax »

oldskoollax wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:19 pm
So with a record of 14-27 in the last 3 years. Is that coaching? Do players not like playing for Nads? Is it time for a coaching change???? Towson should be a perennial team. But they have not been that for a while. If your the AD what do you do?
I am not sure in 2023 "Towson should be a perennial team." They do not have the exposure or resources of B10, and ACC schools. Those schools should be the perennial schools. Times have changes the last five years. The transfer portal changed everything for Towson. Before the portal, kids looking to transfer would call their high school or club coach telling them they were looking to transfer. We would contact the college coach to let them know, and the transfer process would begin. Towson thrived on transfers. Now the name goes in the portal and everyone has a shot.

In 2023 you have Jacksonville, Marquette, Utah, Richmond, High Point just to name a few to compete with for recruits. Those schools weren't around just a few years ago. In addition the Jack Adams, Goodrich's etc from Maryland public schools are being recruited by the ACC and B10 schools. Towson is not going to sneak them in like they did years ago. In fact, those kids would be attending Maryland private schools in 2023. I can tell you first hand the number of blue chip players attending public schools has dwindled tremendously the last couple of years.

The CAA made a huge mistake renewing their contract with FloSports. Which perspective recruits are going to pay for that service to watch CAA lacrosse? For exposure that was a bad decision They should have gone to Espy +

No question losing to UMBC is not acceptable. The program needs to step-up with recruiting. There are couple of good freshman recruits. Nads has proven when he has talent he is a great coach. This is a guy that turned down the Michigan and Princeton jobs to stay at Towson. If I am Towson I am sticking with Nads.

Lastly, Towson out of conference plays a very difficult schedule. I know Nads is doing this for recruiting purposes. If I were him am I would re-evaluate his out of conference scheduling.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Taking a CAA team to the Final Four should earn a coach a long leash, IMO. That is not easy to do. I don't believe in lifetime appointments but I'd give Nads at least another few years to see if he can turn things around. Hell, he's been to a Final Four more recently than Kevin Corrigan, Charley Toomey, Kevin Warne, and Mike Murphy.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

harflax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:03 pm
Lastly, Towson out of conference plays a very difficult schedule. I know Nads is doing this for recruiting purposes. If I were him am I would re-evaluate his out of conference scheduling.
I actually believe the OOC teams are doing this already.

If you’re a Big Three conference team,
you are under intense RPI pressure, and other NCAA measures
for evaluating At Large,

if an opponent doesn’t provide a boost,
those Big Three teams will drop you.

There ain’t no free lunch.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

I think there are a lot of things to re-evaluate. No, we're not Hopkins, Maryland, or even Navy where this 3+ year stretch would be a fireable offense. Not saying that, but some things have got to change. There's also a new AD so things better change.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dan Fogelberg

Better Change before the Sun Goes Down

molo

Post by molo »

Hold on to your hats tomorrow.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Nadelan is a good coach, and he can improve this team. He has to get involved on the other side of the field. I’m not concerned about playoffs,Final Fours, and players from 5 yrs ago. Offensively, they need to play better! End of story. The goalies, fogos, and defense are good enough to compete. Be more efficient. Shooting 23% and averaging 20 turnovers in a game has to improve. Having a starting attack w 5 assists in 5 games needs adjustments. Play the people who you are playing but players need to be moved around. Austin Stewart on the 2nd line is not acceptable. One of the most productive players on the team , and he is sitting in the box entirely too much. The attack is not productive enough to be left alone. There needs to be a rotation on the attack. On the attack you don’t have ball carriers. Bring in Bender & Stewart on attack. Your right wing attack does not have an assist in 5 games. How is that possible? By accident 3-4. Mix up the first midfield line. 2/3 of the 1st line doesn’t score. Mix it up. Put Stewart w Berkeley if you want to change it up. I see them playing focused today after last weeks game. This is a nice spot today for the program. 4pm game on National Television ACC Network. BTW, Nunes the goalie for Va, is a 50% guy. Let it fly. Tingue from UMBC or Staudt from Loyola look like Rick Blick from Hobart next to this guy. Not many weaknesses on the Va team. May catch a break w Cormier possibly not playing. Didn’t play vs Hopkins.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I like Stewart Berkeley and Weisshaar at 1st mid.

Set a goal, Tigers to the CAA finals.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:25 am Nadelan is a good coach, and he can improve this team. He has to get involved on the other side of the field. I’m not concerned about playoffs,Final Fours, and players from 5 yrs ago. Offensively, they need to play better! End of story. The goalies, fogos, and defense are good enough to compete. Be more efficient. Shooting 23% and averaging 20 turnovers in a game has to improve. Having a starting attack w 5 assists in 5 games needs adjustments. Play the people who you are playing but players need to be moved around. Austin Stewart on the 2nd line is not acceptable. One of the most productive players on the team , and he is sitting in the box entirely too much. The attack is not productive enough to be left alone. There needs to be a rotation on the attack. On the attack you don’t have ball carriers. Bring in Bender & Stewart on attack. Your right wing attack does not have an assist in 5 games. How is that possible? By accident 3-4. Mix up the first midfield line. 2/3 of the 1st line doesn’t score. Mix it up. Put Stewart w Berkeley if you want to change it up. I see them playing focused today after last weeks game. This is a nice spot today for the program. 4pm game on National Television ACC Network. BTW, Nunes the goalie for Va, is a 50% guy. Let it fly. Tingue from UMBC or Staudt from Loyola look like Rick Blick from Hobart next to this guy. Not many weaknesses on the Va team. May catch a break w Cormier possibly not playing. Didn’t play vs Hopkins.
Wavy Gravy!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Hanging in there, looking more calm on offense as the game goes on. Weisshar with a nice goal. But UVA taking advantage of mistakes, most of which they are creating
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

sc lax wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:02 pm Hanging in there, looking more calm on offense as the game goes on. Weisshar with a nice goal. But UVA taking advantage of mistakes, most of which they are creating
It's 14-8 early in the fourth quarter and this one is over. But I can take a few positives and one is Long's play. He's been sensational in net. If not for him, they'd be down 20-8. Mike W with his first two goals. I'd still move him to Attack and X, but they moved Body Mauer there. Chop to midfield. Find with that I guess. At least it's a change. He saw some time last season and I also saw No. 2 Ryan Schrier there. He's a freshman from Spaulding.

Correction: Seems more like Bender is playing the X and Mauer is playing 2nd midfield.

No comment on the clearing game.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Major changes made ! And you had v good results. IMO , terrific outing. Safe travels to Balto.
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

sc lax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:05 am
Agree, you don't get rid of a coach like Nads. But there is definitely things that need to be changed. 3 years of below average play is a large enough sample size
HIs win/loss record sucks recently. He can't recruit and player don't like him. Time to make a change.
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

14-27 and you do nothing??? What is Towson record since 2019??? So the record is no the coaches fault???

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”