Brown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Floyd

Re: Brown 2023

Post by Floyd »

faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:30 pm Frankly, I'm disappointed in IL for publishing names.
Noisemakers need to be exposed!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

molo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:10 pm Tempest in a teapot? Maybe so. More tea and less booze would yield less noise and maybe more fun, but that’s coming from an INTJ.
That’s because you put Philosopher Stones in your tea!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
molo

Post by molo »

Some tea you don’t drink.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

molo wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:21 pm Big cover up so far. Whose motto is “The Truth shall Set You Free”?
Johns Hopkins, Veritas Vos Liberabit.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

molo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:50 pm Some tea you don’t drink.
When in Amsterdam…
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Oh well the townie/schoolie irritant factor has a long and honored history. Nothing cops like better than busting the guys who will one day hollow out cop retirement funds.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 am Oh well the townie/schoolie irritant factor has a long and honored history. Nothing cops like better than busting the guys who will one day hollow out cop retirement funds.
you know that cops have to respond when called places, right? it's not their fault the school suspended them.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:20 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:03 am Oh well the townie/schoolie irritant factor has a long and honored history. Nothing cops like better than busting the guys who will one day hollow out cop retirement funds.
you know that cops have to respond when called places, right? it's not their fault the school suspended them.
Sorry, should have used the //s (snark) sign
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:33 am
Could be worse - my father used to tell me about this (repeatedly)

https://historicgeneva.org/organization ... in-geneva/

960s Student Unrest in Geneva
September 25th, 2015
By Alice Askins, Education Coordinator at Rose Hill Mansion

TravellerAccording to the Geneva Times, very early on May 5, 1970, Ontario County Sheriffs arrested five Hobart students in a drug raid. The raid turned up hash pipes, pills and marijuana. One of the sheriffs was recognized by the students as “Tommy the Traveler” – a man who had been active on campus encouraging anti-war and anti-ROTC protests, and claiming to be a member of Students for a Democratic Society. Students were angry to discover that Tommy had been on campus undercover, and about 200 of them surrounded the police cars in a 3-hour confrontation. They jumped on the cars, and broke off radio antennae and mirrors. The sheriffs were unwilling to escalate the potentially “explosive situation”, and set the arrested students free.

Some Geneva citizens were outraged that the students had been allowed to defy the law without consequences. This was a time of social strife and student unrest over many issues, including the war in Vietnam and growing movements for the civil rights of minorities and women. Students often espoused these causes, and some of their elders were frightened that the kids were out of control.

The Times quoted some concerns. Representative Frank Horton, for example, said

There can be absolutely no excuse for resorting to mob rule . . . I was appalled that the result was amnesty for wrong doers. This was a total breakdown of our system . . . It should never be allowed to happen again. The decision may have been made to protect the lives of the policemen. More importantly, the laws should have been enforced to protect our system of law and order. (June 9, 1970)

There were a few voices of disagreement. Paul Van Hemel, a Geneva native and Hobart graduate, wrote from Baltimore to the Times (Jun 18, 1970):

. . . it is with regret and deepening concern that I have witnessed the recent increase in tensions between Hobart and the community of which it is a part. We must all work hard to avoid the mistrust which fosters and feeds on incidents such as that which recently threatened the peace of our community. . . . I have heard, from residents of the Geneva area, suspicions that the trouble at Hobart was stirred up by “Communist-inspired outside influence.” The fact that the outsider, who was indeed stirring up trouble, turned out to be employed by the Police is evidence of shocking irresponsibility in community leadership. Instead of working with administrators at Hobart, the Police sought to embarrass them, and ended up by embarrassing themselves and aggravating a potentially very dangerous situation. . . . It is to be hoped that the majority of responsible citizens and students can work together . . . to overcome the crisis of trust left in Tommy’s wake. . . .

So who was Tommy the Traveler at the center of these debates?

On July 13, 1970 the Times printed ‘Tommy the Traveler’: Key to Hobart Troubles? By William Morrissey:

About two years ago, a . . . young man began circulating among students at colleges across New York State. Somewhere along the way he was tagged “Tommy the Traveler” . . . When he arrived on a campus, he sought out the radical students, talked with them of “the revolution,” repeated their antiestablishment slogans and spoke of escalating protests. . . . Tommy the Traveler kept drifting and talking, until in the predawn hours of June 5 students at Hobart and William Smith Colleges in Geneva saw him leading police on a campus drug raid and they knew he was a police undercover agent. . . . [Sheriff] Morrow told reporters . . . that Thomas ‘Tommy the Traveler” Tongyai, worked for him as a narcotics undercover agent for about 2 ½ months beginning in mid-March, and had been highly recommended for the job. From other sources, it was learned that Tommy was born Momluang Singkata Thomas Tongyai N’Ayudhya on Jan. 14, 1944, in Ahniston, Ala. His father, a native of Bangkok, Thailand, was serving in the Army at the time. . . . After an incomplete stint at Delaware Valley College . . ., marriage, a draft deferment and various jobs, Tongyai moved to upstate New York. He became a salesman for a veterinarian drug firm and traveled across New York State from August 1967 until May 1969. His earliest appearances at colleges were reported during this period. Members of the [SDS] at Cornell University said he attended [their] summer meetings . . . before the 1968-69 school year. During the 68-69 school year, he showed up at Keuka College . . . Students said he was a regular at SDS meetings in Rochester. He also is known to have traveled with a group of young persons operating an underground newsreel based in Buffalo, and once showed a film on the movement to students at Auburn Community College . . . Students at [Hobart] say . . . Tommy appeared mainly interested in politics—the left-wing student movement and “the revolution.” Neal Himelein, a sophomore at Hobart, said he knew Tommy from “secret meetings”—meetings at which Himelein said a small group of students planned to increase pressure on Hobart to end Air Force Reserve officer training on the campus. . . . “I remember him (Tommy the Traveler) bringing up breaking windows and bringing ROTC files outside and burning them or throwing them into the lake, or something,” Himelein said. . . . He quoted Tommy as asking: “Which do you want to use—black powder or firebombs?” and adding: “never mind, we’ll test them both.” . . .

In February 1971, the paper printed testimony from students who said that Tommy had showed them how to make a fuse for a bomb. He had also allegedly gone into Yates County with a student to try out Molotov cocktails. Tommy countered that he needed to play a role, but that he had actually been trying to limit damage. (February 23 and 24, 1971)

The abortive drug raid and other incidents resulted in charges and countercharges. Despite suggestions that Tommy went too far in inciting students to violence, he was eventually cleared. After a time as a police officer in Pennsylvania, he is supposedly now lives in the south, breeding cattle and horses. His time on the campuses of New York State can still evoke strong emotions, pro and con.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:04 am

September 25th, 2015

TravellerAccording to the Geneva Times, very early on May 5, 1970, Ontario County Sheriffs arrested five Hobart students in a drug raid. The raid turned up hash pipes, pills and marijuana. One of the sheriffs was recognized by the students as “Tommy the Traveler” – a man who had been active on campus encouraging anti-war and anti-ROTC protests, and claiming to be a member of Students for a Democratic Society. Students were angry to discover that Tommy had been on campus undercover, and about 200 of them surrounded the police cars in a 3-hour confrontation. They jumped on the cars, and broke off radio antennae and mirrors. The sheriffs were unwilling to escalate the potentially “explosive situation”, and set the arrested students free.

Some Geneva citizens were outraged that the students had been allowed to defy the law without consequences. This was a time of social strife and student unrest over many issues, including the war in Vietnam and growing movements for the civil rights of minorities and women. Students often espoused these causes, and some of their elders were frightened that the kids were out of control.

There can be absolutely no excuse for resorting to mob rule . . . I was appalled that the result was amnesty for wrong doers. This was a total breakdown of our system . . . It should never be allowed to happen again. The decision may have been made to protect the lives of the policemen. More importantly, the laws should have been enforced to protect our system of law and order. (June 9, 1970)

There were a few voices of disagreement. Paul Van Hemel, a Geneva native and Hobart graduate, wrote from Baltimore to the Times (Jun 18, 1970):

. . . it is with regret and deepening concern that I have witnessed the recent increase in tensions between Hobart and the community of which it is a part. We must all work hard to avoid the mistrust which fosters and feeds on incidents such as that which recently threatened the peace of our community. . . . I have heard, from residents of the Geneva area, suspicions that the trouble at Hobart was stirred up by “Communist-inspired outside influence.” The fact that the outsider, who was indeed stirring up trouble, turned out to be employed by the Police is evidence of shocking irresponsibility in community leadership. Instead of working with administrators at Hobart, the Police sought to embarrass them, and ended up by embarrassing themselves and aggravating a potentially very dangerous situation. . . . It is to be hoped that the majority of responsible citizens and students can work together . . . to overcome the crisis of trust left in Tommy’s wake. . . .

On July 13, 1970 the Times printed ‘Tommy the Traveler’: Key to Hobart Troubles? By William Morrissey:

About two years ago, a . . . young man began circulating among students at colleges across New York State. Somewhere along the way he was tagged “Tommy the Traveler” . . . When he arrived on a campus, he sought out the radical students, talked with them of “the revolution,” repeated their antiestablishment slogans and spoke of escalating protests. . . . Tommy the Traveler kept drifting and talking, until in the predawn hours of June 5 students at Hobart and William Smith Colleges in Geneva saw him leading police on a campus drug raid and they knew he was a police undercover agent. . . . [Sheriff] Morrow told reporters . . . that Thomas ‘Tommy the Traveler” Tongyai, worked for him as a narcotics undercover agent for about 2 ½ months beginning in mid-March, and had been highly recommended for the job. From other sources, it was learned that Tommy was born Momluang Singkata Thomas Tongyai N’Ayudhya on Jan. 14, 1944, in Ahniston, Ala. His father, a native of Bangkok, Thailand, was serving in the Army at the time. . . . After an incomplete stint at Delaware Valley College . . ., marriage, a draft deferment and various jobs, Tongyai moved to upstate New York. He became a salesman for a veterinarian drug firm and traveled across New York State from August 1967 until May 1969. His earliest appearances at colleges were reported during this period. Members of the [SDS] at Cornell University said he attended [their] summer meetings . . . before the 1968-69 school year. During the 68-69 school year, he showed up at Keuka College . . . Students said he was a regular at SDS meetings in Rochester. He also is known to have traveled with a group of young persons operating an underground newsreel based in Buffalo, and once showed a film on the movement to students at Auburn Community College . . . Students at [Hobart] say . . . Tommy appeared mainly interested in politics—the left-wing student movement and “the revolution.” Neal Himelein, a sophomore at Hobart, said he knew Tommy from “secret meetings”—meetings at which Himelein said a small group of students planned to increase pressure on Hobart to end Air Force Reserve officer training on the campus. . . . “I remember him (Tommy the Traveler) bringing up breaking windows and bringing ROTC files outside and burning them or throwing them into the lake, or something,” Himelein said. . . . He quoted Tommy as asking: “Which do you want to use—black powder or firebombs?” and adding: “never mind, we’ll test them both.” . . .

In February 1971, the paper printed testimony from students who said that Tommy had showed them how to make a fuse for a bomb. He had also allegedly gone into Yates County with a student to try out Molotov cocktails. Tommy countered that he needed to play a role, but that he had actually been trying to limit damage. (February 23 and 24, 1971)

The abortive drug raid and other incidents resulted in charges and countercharges. Despite suggestions that Tommy went too far in inciting students to violence, he was eventually cleared. After a time as a police officer in Pennsylvania, he is supposedly now lives in the south, breeding cattle and horses. His time on the campuses of New York State can still evoke strong emotions, pro and con.
Loooong history of 'security' forces infiltrating disaffected groups to influence them to violence to discredit them. Really crappy behavior, although the guys in the Pacific Northwest who infiltrated Quaker groups protesting the Iraq war and trying to turn them violent is one humorous example.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

September 25th, 2015

A background checking service reveals he was born in January 1944 and has spent recent years in Missouri & Oklahoma.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:09 am

September 25th, 2015

A background checking service reveals he was born in January 1944 and has spent recent years in Missouri & Oklahoma.
And if we lost to Cornell that year I blame him. Even if I wasn’t alive then.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Communist-inspired outside influence
Yikes !
That’s not good.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:32 am

Communist-inspired outside influence
Yikes !
That’s not good.
You are being ironic, right?
We must all work hard to avoid the mistrust which fosters and feeds on incidents such as that which recently threatened the peace of our community. . . . I have heard, from residents of the Geneva area, suspicions that the trouble at Hobart was stirred up by “Communist-inspired outside influence.” The fact that the outsider, who was indeed stirring up trouble, turned out to be employed by the Police is evidence of shocking irresponsibility in community leadership.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sarcastic - I went through the tail end of all that weirdness.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:48 am Sarcastic - I went through the tail end of all that weirdness.
Ok good. :)
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:03 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:53 am sure. the *appeal* part has me assuming, as long as we're speculating, that it wasn't the coach. prefer that it was. but could be talking about the athletic department, also.

p.s. the guys that bought the paint should've gotten the suspension.
:lol: :lol: anyway….any game missed as a college athlete sucks. You can’t get that time back.
If this happened to regular students and not athletes, what would the punishment be?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:37 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:03 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:53 am sure. the *appeal* part has me assuming, as long as we're speculating, that it wasn't the coach. prefer that it was. but could be talking about the athletic department, also.

p.s. the guys that bought the paint should've gotten the suspension.
:lol: :lol: anyway….any game missed as a college athlete sucks. You can’t get that time back.
If this happened to regular students and not athletes, what would the punishment be?
Great question....
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I thought the new plan was not to send cops to domestic, non threatening calls. I would assume a social type worker would have been dispatched and could have just tucked them in to bed and moved on. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:46 am
I thought the new plan was not to send cops to domestic, non threatening calls. I would assume a social type worker would have been dispatched and could have just tucked them in to bed and moved on. ;)
Tucked in the students, or the poutraged East Side money-bunny residents? :D

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”