THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:13 pm https://imgur.com/a/vyzkUqz
^ That is for the 2010s, so the last nine seasons. Judge for yourself.
Thanks. That puts into pictures what I've been saying for a long time. The program has been trending poorly for a decade.

Further, this demonstrates something else I've stated. Petro is an awful tournament coach. Hes won one quarterfinal game when Harrison or Rabil aren't on the team.

Hell, I beat you can get a bunch of UVA people to question the 2005 win and blame the lightening on stemming the UVA steam or luck boxing thier way into playing Delaware in the semis in 2007 (which also had a delayed game in the 1st round that allowed Hopkins to rally over ND) that saved them in the finals against Duke.
You know, screw the Hoos and the horses they rode in on.

Their program is forever tainted, with lack of institutional control by the staff. Particularly in the mlax team’s behavior toward the UVa wlax team.

Screw them and Starsia’s history. It’s a stain.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Thanks. That puts into pictures what I've been saying for a long time. The program has been trending poorly for a decade.

Further, this demonstrates something else I've stated. Petro is an awful tournament coach. Hes won one quarterfinal game when Harrison or Rabil aren't on the team.

Hell, I beat you can get a bunch of UVA people to question the 2005 win and blame the lightening on stemming the UVA steam or luck boxing thier way into playing Delaware in the semis in 2007 (which also had a delayed game in the 1st round that allowed Hopkins to rally over ND) that saved them in the finals against Duke.
That is so disrespectful to the great 2005 and 2007 Hopkins teams ... and both teams were indeed GREAT.

The 2005 team beat a Virginia team that was one year away from greatness TWICE. They beat Pressler’s best Duke team TWICE. They beat Syracuse, Princeton, and Maryland for good measure. They had two future Hall of Famers at midfield. The best SSDM in the country. The best defense in the country. The deepest faceoff crew lacrosse has ever seen (FIVE top-notch faceoff men). They had two of the most clutch players in recent memory (Byrne and Schwartzman). They played the toughest schedule in the country and went undefeated. All led by a senior class that DID NOT LOSE A SINGLE GAME AT HOME. Arguably the greatest team of this century.

As for the 2007 team, they were led by a midfield of Rabil, S. Peyser, and Kimmel ... as good or better than any midfield since. They won the national championship by beating four league champions (ACC, ECAC, CAA, and GWLL). Had they played Cornell, they would have beaten them, too. The Band of Brothers recovered from four regular season losses and was the best team in the nation on Memorial Day. The quality of the 2007 team is reflected in the fact that Hopkins reached the final in 2008. The 2007 title was no fluke.

Show some respect. Coach Petro and his young men earned those two national titles.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 pm B1G playoff update: only way Hopkins isn’t in is if RU beats PSU.

8 ways the three games could come out this weekend. 2*2*2

7 out of 8 ways, Hopkins is in. Only way Hopkins is out if RU over PSU.

Matchup looks to be against MD in the B1G tourney for those seven scenarios, with the only difference being who wears the white jerseys in god forsaken Piscataway.
If Hopkins does reach the B1G tournament, then they still have their tournament fate in their hands. Go Penn State, I guess.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 am

That is so disrespectful to the great 2005 and 2007 Hopkins teams ... and both teams were indeed GREAT.

The 2005 team beat a Virginia team that was one year away from greatness TWICE. They beat Pressler’s best Duke team TWICE. They beat Syracuse, Princeton, and Maryland for good measure. They had two future Hall of Famers at midfield. The best SSDM in the country. The best defense in the country. The deepest faceoff crew lacrosse has ever seen (FIVE top-notch faceoff men). They had two of the most clutch players in recent memory (Byrne and Schwartzman). They played the toughest schedule in the country and went undefeated. All led by a senior class that DID NOT LOSE A SINGLE GAME AT HOME. Arguably the greatest team of this century.

As for the 2007 team, they were led by a midfield of Rabil, S. Peyser, and Kimmel ... as good or better than any midfield since. They won the national championship by beating four league champions (ACC, ECAC, CAA, and GWLL). Had they played Cornell, they would have beaten them, too. The Band of Brothers recovered from four regular season losses and was the best team in the nation on Memorial Day. The quality of the 2007 team is reflected in the fact that Hopkins reached the final in 2008. The 2007 title was no fluke.

Show some respect. Coach Petro and his young men earned those two national titles.

DocBarrister :roll:
Not surprising, you didnt dispute anything I said just spouted your rankings. You can argue whatever you want.

In 2005, UVA was rallying and I think they were in the lead when the lightening delayed the game. Hopkins rallied to win it on Bensons shot.

In 2007, they were behind to ND until another lightening delay allowed them to regroup and Kimmel won the game in overtime. Hopkins did play an unseeded Delaware team in the FF because they upset UVA.

I know facts and you dont get along together but my comment had nothing to do with disrespecting the players but demonstrating Petros complete lack of tournament acumen that, one could argue, was bailed out by the weather.

Let's not even get into the fact Petro was seeded no. 1 in four straight years and only by said grace of weather and Harrison challenging the team over the summer of 2004 did he not get skunked in that time frame.

So spare me your outrage. Take to someone how cares about your histronics.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:12 pm So do you figure with all the munchkins with short little legs, ERs playing below expectations, should be starters sitting on the bench, and lousy coaches, the Maryland game is a bust or does the Hop have a shot?
I would not be surprised if HOP pulls an upset vs Terps ;)
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:00 am
DMac wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:12 pm So do you figure with all the munchkins with short little legs, ERs playing below expectations, should be starters sitting on the bench, and lousy coaches, the Maryland game is a bust or does the Hop have a shot?
This is why is see it as coaching and Petro needs to go or make some changes. The common theme has been munchkin middies... So why not in the third vs Penn State and the game was out of hand start sprinkling in those freshman middies? What harm could it have done? Meaningful runs against a very good defense. Instead, the last 3 minutes against the twos.

How many of those players are disenchanted and are looking to transfer...
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

laxbro11 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:26 am
This is why is see it as coaching and Petro needs to go or make some changes. The common theme has been munchkin middies... So why not in the third vs Penn State and the game was out of hand start sprinkling in those freshman middies? What harm could it have done? Meaningful runs against a very good defense. Instead, the last 3 minutes against the twos.

How many of those players are disenchanted and are looking to transfer...
And look at how little playing time Darby got last season as the backup goalie, it was clear that Turnbaugh was not going to be in goal for 2019 no matter how badly we all wanted him for another year. There were plenty of games that were in hand to get Darby in there to get some meaningful experience, and it hardly ever happened. It's a systemic problem.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Keeping Darby in the whole game was bizarre. Gainey and/or Giacalone should have played the whole 4th quarter. It wouldn't have made a difference, and at the very least you'd have got them some time against some pretty good shooters.

That Zinn came on for a worthless offensive shift with 3 minutes left felt like a slap in the face. All that says is the coaches still consider him an offensive player—just one who's not good enough to actually be playing offense in meaningful minutes. It's one thing if you want to turn the kid into an SSDM/wing player only because that's where you think he will most benefit the team. (I think that's completely stupid but I suppose there's still an argument for it.) But that's clearly not the case. For whatever reason they don't trust him to run midfield in offensive sets with the game on the line despite the mountain of evidence that he CAN do so (see Virginia game) and the fact that many of the other guys aren't cutting it (see every game).

As for a potential upset against Maryland—I'm sure we all remember the last time we played a night game at Byrd. That game was over in the 1st quarter. My guess? A decently competitive 2-goal affair for about ~3 quarters that gets blown wide open by the Terps toward the end of the 3rd quarter.
viper

Post by viper »

molo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:10 pm Thanks for the compliment. My English professors at UVA would disagree.
I would think more Hunter Thompson and less Faulkner........
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:31 am As for a potential upset against Maryland—I'm sure we all remember the last time we played a night game at Byrd. That game was over in the 1st quarter. My guess? A decently competitive 2-goal affair for about ~3 quarters that gets blown wide open by the Terps toward the end of the 3rd quarter.
Given that Hopkins most likely has to play them 2 weeks in a row (and will know for sure by game time), how do you approach this as a staff?...

Show everything game 1? Use game 1 to prepare for game 2?

I have no idea. Hopkins needs to win both, but, if they can only win one of the two, the second game is the one to have.

Decisions, decisions.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:41 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:31 am As for a potential upset against Maryland—I'm sure we all remember the last time we played a night game at Byrd. That game was over in the 1st quarter. My guess? A decently competitive 2-goal affair for about ~3 quarters that gets blown wide open by the Terps toward the end of the 3rd quarter.
Given that Hopkins most likely has to play them 2 weeks in a row (and will know for sure by game time), how do you approach this as a staff?...

I have no idea. Hopkins needs to win both, but, if they can only win one of the two, the second game is the one to have.

Decisions, decisions.
As if we'd have something different to show Maryland in the second game vs. the first. Tillman knows exactly what we are going to do and will be prepared for it.

The good news is that by Saturday night the Jays will already know whether or not they've made the conference tournament based on the results of the OSU/Michigan and PSU/Rutgers games. That said, this team not only badly needs a victory for morale but also to hold onto the dwindling hope of an at-large bid. If we limp into the conference tourney at 6-7 then we'd have to win the whole thing just to finish above .500 to qualify for an at-large. Winning on Saturday puts us at 7-6 and at least gives you the option, however small, of getting an at-large if you don't win the conference tournament. I don't think you can enter the Big Ten tournament with zero momentum and expect to have any shot. But if you beat the Terps, win a big wooden crab trophy, going 3-2 in the conference and get that #2 seed—that's something you could build on. That could, hypothetically, be the start of a run. So I think it'd be a huge mistake to "save" anything for a potential rematch (again, as if this team has something to save). It's gotta be the kitchen sink.
viper

Post by viper »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 pm
steel_hop wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:33 pm Give me a break. He's owed what is in his contract. No one is arguing that. But, nothing in his contract says he has to be coaching on the sudelines.

Moreover, a lame duck coach with only 1 year is dead man in recruiting. You want to keep the class if 2020 in tact, you have a coach with a contract in place for 2021 and beyond. If Hopkins doesn't have a coach with a contract that will have him greeting the new freshmen players in the fall of 2020, then Hopkins recruits are ripe for poaching. The recruiting pitch writes itself.

Whether the Hopkins AD and admin realize that is a completely other story. If you have every been involved in hiring you know the adage of you hire slowly and fire quickly.
+1 - Doc is delusional as usual. As far as the Maryland game - I would play the freshmen more - start Zinn - Hopkins is going to be executed to death regardless. It might not be 10-1 at half or whatever it was 2 years ago but it might be as well.
I wouldn't penalize anyone for putting the starting 10 out at the start of next weeks game, however, for the love of goodness, if you go down by 8 or 10 in the second half there really would be no harm getting some fresh looks on the field! Another disappointing aspect of the Penn State game.
viper

Post by viper »

tech37 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:00 am
Well, I'll go out on a limb and say the score will be closer than last week!! :cry: :cry: Any other year I might say throw out the records, but this year I can't even fathom how a Hopkins team that has shown such poor play against even its weakest opponents can have a shot to beat the Terps once, much less twice in two weeks.

My hope for this program is first for them to get back to a place where I can believe that they can beat these teams without scoring a David vs Goliath sized upset. Then we can worry about tournament appearances and final fours.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Does it really matter? Winning Game 2 against UMd just sets up another shooting gallery for Penn State.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

It’s going to be pretty cool to lose the last three games of the regular season, and still back into the conference tournament.

Where there will be a snowball’s chance.

So the question: will the two teams play hard Saturday night?

Hell yes.

This is our biggest rivalry, and the winner gets one of the biggest inanimate trophy objects in existence - that crab thing which was made of nautical flotsam and stained to look pretty.

I might add, that thing was rather expensive. Hopefully those cheap bastards at the UMCP development / AD office paid for half of that thing. (I know someone now there at UMd development who used to work at Hopkins - hi, you rat bastard traitor!!!)

If I see him, I’m going to commandeer a golf cart and run over him again. He’ll probably be wearing a red or black polo though, so tire tracks on the back of his shirt will be hard to see.

Anyway, it’s all for the Crab.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tweeeet! Post (above) edited. Empathy matters. Tweeeet!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Seriously, inside joke, but someone at Hopkins WAS run over by a golf cart previously and lived to tell about it.

He also framed his light yellow polo shirt on which you could clearly see the tire tracks on the back.

Several people around the program will get a good laugh out of this.

And I didn’t do it. I know how to drive a damn golf cart. And drink beer.

My playing golf part though is a little questionable. There are witnesses here to that Wombat Skill Set, which involves more cussing than shots taken.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

admin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:06 pm Tweeeet! Post (above) edited. Empathy matters. Tweeeet!
Oh, okay. I see which one you got. Fine.

Can’t change facts and history, but I’m okay with your edit.
a fan

Post by a fan »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 pm Further, this demonstrates something else I've stated. Petro is an awful tournament coach. Hes won one quarterfinal game....
This is a completely ridiculous post. Look at that graphic again. Now look at your glass half empty post again. Notice anything?

As for the Harrison Rabil comment, this is straight out of the "I'm looking for anything I can think of to say something bad about this sports coach" Handbook.

Did you know that Zim never won a Championship without 5 future Hall of Famers on the field?

Know what just occurred to me? You need great players to win Division I championships.

In other shocking news, water is wet. More at 11.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:35 pm
steel_hop wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 pm Further, this demonstrates something else I've stated. Petro is an awful tournament coach. Hes won one quarterfinal game....
This is a completely ridiculous post. Look at that graphic again. Now look at your glass half empty post again. Notice anything?

As for the Harrison Rabil comment, this is straight out of the "I'm looking for anything I can think of to say something bad about this sports coach" Handbook.

Did you know that Zim never won a Championship without 5 future Hall of Famers on the field?

Know what just occurred to me? You need great players to win Division I championships.

In other shocking news, water is wet. More at 11.
Do you wear Carhartt socks?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”