Delaware Blue Hens 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Delaware Blue Hens 2023

Post by Henpecked »

faircornell wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:32 pm Hens in the middle of a serious 8 goal run. Hens up 15-7.
UMBC gave up 21 goals in 4 games. They gave up 17 tonight, and it could have been much worse. Their goalie Tingue is pretty good. Their defense pressed out constantly and got beat constantly.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:17 pm
faircornell wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:32 pm Hens in the middle of a serious 8 goal run. Hens up 15-7.
UMBC gave up 21 goals in 4 games. They gave up 17 tonight, and it could have been much worse. Their goalie Tingue is pretty good. Their defense pressed out constantly and got beat constantly.
The Hens looked very good. Unless something unexpected happens on Saturday, I think that they will be back to being a consensus Top-20 team.
oldskoollax

Post by oldskoollax »

UMBC had only one days rest and one day of preparation and had to travel. On a full week of preparation this is a much closer game. You could tell UMBC ran out of gas and didn't have their legs tonight.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

oldskoollax wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:11 am
UMBC had only one days rest and one day of preparation and had to travel. On a full week of preparation this is a much closer game. You could tell UMBC ran out of gas and didn't have their legs tonight.
Being gassed also could have been the result of the Hens play,
they were doubly motivated - it looked to me - after that
Michigan game where they fell apart in the 3rd quarter,
to not have a repeat of that.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

oldskoollax wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:11 am
Hopkins played Va Tuesday. Same thing, part of scheduling. The legs thing is part of playing games in so many days. UMBC gave up 7 in the 3rd - game over. Delaware has a nice squad, this is the last hurrah, 17 seniors. They will go back to the pack in 24’.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hens will be losing a lot, but they still have some 5th years in
reserve,
Michael Robinson can return for a 5th year.
Also this year’s freshmen class, not exactly widely heralded, but
their freshmen had to fill in for injured starters and showed a lot.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:53 am Hens will be losing a lot, but they still have some 5th years in
reserve,
Michael Robinson can return for a 5th year.
Also this year’s freshmen class, not exactly widely heralded, but
their freshmen had to fill in for injured starters and showed a lot.
If guys decide to stay for a 5th year, they should return senior starters:
Mike Robinson
Nick Jessen
Harrison Ewing
Reed Kurtz
Drew Lenkaitis
Tate Wasson
Roland Hockenberry

Along with underclassmen who also play a significant role on this team:
Cam Acchione
Matt Acchione
Joe Speers
John Scheivert
Jason Kolar
Brenden Powers
Finn Morgan
Logan Premtaj
Nick Cowen

They will certainly miss Tye Kurtz, Owen Grant, Matt Kilkeary, Kevin McCormick and Kevin Lynch next year. But let's stick to 2023. LOTS of lacrosse left to play.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Tomorrow at noon UD opens its CAA season with a home game against Monmouth where they will be heavy favorites. Delaware has beaten the Hawks each of the five times they have competed, including a memorable 11-10 Hen’s escape in 2017 when Bryce Wasserman went off on the Hens late in the game. That 2017 Hawk team went 14-4 and was ranked in the top 20 at one point after beating Villanova and going undefeated in the MAAC. They went on to lose a close game in the NCAA tournament against Bryant.

What to expect from Monmouth
Monmouth is 4-1 this year after an opening loss to Princeton (22-9) followed by easy wins against NJIT, LIU and Wagner and OT victory at Mt. St. Mary’s last weekend. Coach Brian Fisher has gotten the Hawks to the NCAA Tournament twice (2017, 2021) in his nine years at the helm of Monmouth. His teams have always had good FOGOs and this year is no different. Matt Soutar is winning faceoffs at a 54% rate. In 2021 he was third in the nation winning 68% of his draws. He is crafty.

It is really difficult to say what the Hawks do well or not-so-well because the level of competition that they have faced. They got crushed by Princeton in the opener, but if you throw out that game, they are giving up just 6.5 goals a game. They score 10 goals a game on average with below average shooting .265. They take care of the ball and average just 12 turnovers a game and clear the ball at a 93% rate. What I can say, is that Monmouth is a well-coached team with very good, but not great, talent. The attack unit of Cade Stratton, Connor Macrae and Ty Cafferelli is impressive, led by grad student Stratton who has 10g 3a. The freshman Cafferelli is a stocky off-ball righty from southern California who can fill it up (11 goals on 26 shots).

The defense is very experienced, led by two seniors and a fifth year grad student. The Monmouth defense is always pretty good. Coach Fisher spent six years as an assistant coach at Notre Dame and his time with Gerry Byrnes paid off. #55 Ryan Morris is a stand out defenseman from Strathhaven PA, who leads the team with six caused turnovers and a ton of ground balls. Seniors Michael Quig and Thomas Gray also have good size and can make things uncomfortable for attackmen. The Hawks played a bunch of zone last week against MSM with varying degrees of success. I think they might go to a zone at some point against the Hens. Goalie Andrew Kuhlman is finally getting a shot to play in his junior year and is doing well with .525 save percentage giving up just 9.6 goals a game.

What to expect from Delaware
First, I could be completely wrong, but I would not expect to see much of Mike Robinson, especially with the cold rainy weather expected. He played 30 seconds in his return against UMBC Tuesday, and scored a man-up goal before safely returning to the sideline for the remainder of the game. I would have to believe that coach DeLuca wants him back 100% for the heart of the schedule which begins next week at Homewood against Hopkins, followed by an always-tough game on Long Island versus Hofstra.

I think that Roland Hockenberry should be competitive at the faceoff dot against Soutar, but I might give Monmouth a slight edge (maybe 48% to 52%?). The Hens defense looked a lot more cohesive in the second half versus UMBC on Tuesday night. Owen Grant was a monster with 4 CTs and a bunch of one-man clears. The set offense also looked pretty good as well the last couple weeks. I have been interested to see how DeLuca has been handling the middies. No real patterns that I can see. He rotated in Riar Schell a couple times on Tuesday. Jason Kolar has been very good at times, very athletic, with a terrific shot on the run. I hope that the Hens play faster and try to get more goals in transition tomorrow, especially if the Hawks try to slow them down with a zone defense. It was great seeing Harrison Ewing score that goal on an end-to-end clear. More of that please.

If the Hens take care of the ball they should be able to barrage the Hawks with a ton of shots. Hens should expect a bounceback game from Matt Kilkeary in goal, following two subpar games. I can’t see the Hawks scoring more than their average 10 goals. The Hens should be able to put 15-18 goals on them for the win. Last year the Hens won 17-6. Maybe something like that would be nice?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Found this on Tye Kurtz,

Kurtz is 2nd in the NCAA in scoring and 1st in goals.

https://www.delawareonline.com › story › sports › 2019 › 04 › 17 › freshman-standout-kurtz-travels-canadian-pipeline-delaware-lacrosse › 3448580002
Freshman continues UD tradition of importing Canadian lacrosse standouts
Kurtz, 20, had committed to High Point (N.C.) two years ago but kept his options open and switched to Delaware, which he felt had strong academic credentials ….

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Bishop MacDonell High School
• high school did not have a lacrosse team
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I was wrong about Mike Robinson not playing much, he played for three quarters and stayed out of physical harm for the most part, passing more than shooting.

Overall he looked pretty good and the Hens offense moved the ball efficiently throughout the game with a ton of different players contributing.

Tye Kurtz continues to amaze and will most likely finish up his career with over 252 points, which would be an all time Hens record. Yet he’s never made first team all-CAA and has never never been mentioned as an All-American candidate, even once. The CAA snubs have been comical, especially last year when he had 52 goals and 15 assists while putting the team on his back through the CAA championship and NCAA quarterfinals.

149 goals and 84 assists. 233 points

Maybe the most under-the-radar player of all time?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Sunday night the Delaware Blue Hens (5-2) head down to Homewood Field to face 10th ranked Johns Hopkins Blue Jays (5-3) for the 12th meeting between these two teams. Last year was the first time that the Hens beat the Jays in an exciting Sunday night game in Newark when the Hens scored the last two goals of the game for a 12-10 victory.

A lot has changed since that game. The Peter Milliman-led Jays have gotten significantly bigger and better on offense with the addition of freshman Matt Collison (6’ 4” 225) and Marquette transfer Russell Melendez (6’1” 210). They have also gotten more athletic and more physical on defense with the addition of freshman Carson Brown (9GBs, 7CTs) and Georgetown transfer Alex Mazzone (19 GBs, 9CTs). These guys are a great addition to the already stout close defense that includes Conestoga’s Scott Smith (13GBs, 10CTs), Beaudan Szuluk who has returned from an early-season injury. Jays also have two stud SSDMs in Hunter Jaronski and Brett Martin (7CTs). But the real Xfactor for the Jays success this year has been the renaissance of senior goalie Tim Marcille, who played in only seven games before this season with a .470 save percentage. This year Marcille is at .548 save percentage with some spectacular games including his last outing against the upstart Syracuse squad when he put up 21 saves while giving up just nine goals (.700).

Overall, the Blue Jays have been pretty good this year with wins over Jacksonville, Georgetown, Utah, St. Joe’s and Syracuse, while losing to UNC, Loyola and Virginia. Aside from Utah this has been a very tough schedule and this Sunday represents the last out-of-conference game for the Jays before heading into Big10 conference play.

As mentioned earlier, Hopkins has added some missing pieces to its offense, but is still not a high-scoring squad. They score just 11.3 goals a game while its improved defense gives up 11.5 goals a game. The offense is orchestrated by diminutive jitterbug attackman Jacob Angelus who leads the team in points with 7 goals and 21 assists. Last year Angelus was playing midfield against the Hens and was held to just one assist by SSDM Jason Seiter. I would not be surprised at all to see the Hens cover Angelus with a SSDM again this weekend. Angelus is not a tremendous threat to score one-on-one and has a relatively low shooting percentage (.280). The Hens will want to pole Melendez (9g 5a) who has recently moved up top to midfield where he is extremely dangerous, shooting equally well with both hands. They will also want to pole gigantic Canadian freshman midfielder Collison, who has 14 goals on just 34 shots. I believe the Hens will have Owen Grant cover Garrett Degnon who tries desperately to sweep across the middle of the field to get off a lefty laser nearly every time he touches the ball. He has no right hand to speak of, so it is imperative for UD to fight off picks and keep him away from the center of the field. His righty counterpart is Jonathan Peshko, who has a cannon for a shot but is a fairly inconsistent shooter (26%). Attackman Brendan Grimes (8g 6a), the junior from Boys Latin, has struggled to find footing at Hopkins after being named the #4 recruit in D1 back in ’21 and is a career 23% shooter. He is not afraid to shoot and can get off missiles quickly from anywhere on the field. Additionally, the athletic Junior middie Dylan Bauer started out the year hot, but has cooled off significantly in recent weeks with just 3 goals in the last 5 games on 17 shots (18%).

How the Hens can pull of an upset
The Hens will need to keep the Blue Jay middies away from the center of the field. Kilkeary has been pretty good defending shots from outside this year, but Hopkins shooters have been otherworldly from up top. Kilkeary generally steps up his play in the more competitive games, so I would expect a very good performance from the grad student. The Hens defense will need to be extremely physical with the big offense of Hopkins. They have four guys on offense that are 6’4” and +200lbs (Degnon, Collison, Grimes and Peshko) who like to impose their will on defenders.

The Jays are only 48% at the faceoff dot, albeit against much better competition than the Hens. They have three options that they can throw at you (Tyler Dunn .463, Logan Callahan .505 and Matt Narewski .500). The Hens may need to give Roland Hockenberry (.560) a break every now and then with OJ Morris (.545), who has shown improvement over the last couple of weeks.

The Hens need to keep the ball hot on offense. The Jays defense is very physical and tough to beat one-on-one, but are susceptible to ball watching. JP Ward had a tough time against Szuluk last year but was able to keep the ball moving in order to exploit better matchups. Eight of the Hens 12 goals were assisted last year. I would expect that they will need that same % in order to get 14 shots past Marcille. And that is what it will probably take to win. The Hens offensive players moved around a ton last week against Monmouth and UMBC. This made them less predictable with Mike Robinson on the left side of the field and Tye Kurtz up top at times. It really opened up the inside for some beautifully assisted goals. More of that please. And more of unsettled offense when it presents itself. The Hens are a more athletic team than Hopkins, so they should take advantage of that. Should be a fun game. Can’t wait!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I thought Matt Collison was one of the top freshmen for 2022,
I liked Collison, Finlay Thomson, some others,

It'll be a matchup of some of the very best Canadians,
Collison, Tye Kurtz, Michael Robinson, Owen Grant.
They should all be on the World Games Team Canada.

Fortunately, the game won't be on BTN+.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Thank God Milliman got rid of Grant Jr as offensive coordinator. They went from 11 goals a game all the way up to 11.3 goals a game.

Please no comments from Hopkins crew! Just joking. Junior had to go. I know.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Grant Jr joined Epoch Lacrosse last I checked.

Grant Jr should be in the US Lacrosse National
Hall of Fame.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Is the replay of UMBC -DEL on YouTube? Not a FLO subscriber.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lacrosse TV is supposed to archive those in their
YouTube
looks like they’re not.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Tye Kurtz makes the Tewaaraton field,

Field: 11. Tye Kurtz, A, Delaware11 of 12

(27G, 12A in 7 games) Kurtz’s stats are elite through seven games. His 27 goals are the most of any other scorer in total goals ahead of the Week 6 slate and his 39 points ranks second overall. He’s stepped up without Mike Robinson in the lineup for a couple games, but the Blue Hens will need to make another surprise run in the postseason.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

If you watched Hopkins v Navy last night you saw Hopkins pressing out on defense and going early with double teams on nearly every midshipmen possession in the second half, with much success. That is the same tactic that UMBC tried against the Hens a couple weeks ago with zero success. It actually created offense for UD. Now I’m not comparing the speed or skill level of Hopkins’ defense to that of UMBCs. But I do know that Delaware has seen this before, and I’m sure coach Rewkowski has a plan to aggressively attack this.

Last non-con game for both teams. Should be a fun game. Hopefully both teams come out of this healthy and ready to take on conference play.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Is Lenkaitis back ?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Too many failed clears (6) combined with only 7 faceoffs wins killed them.

Onto the CAA and Hofstra. Hopefully, Kilkeary is okay. Looked to me like Russell Melendez broke Killer's ribs with three wicked and very unnecessary slashes with 60 seconds left and a three goal lead. Owen Grant showed great restraint by not kicking Melendez' ass.

Injuries killing Hens this year. Not sure if and when Lenkaitis or Premtaj will return.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”