D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:19 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:09 pm Collison,
one-handed shot (good save Nunes)

collison.jpg

We need to go back to allowing Air Gait shots 8-)
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:13 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:55 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:30 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:23 pm
NNELax wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:19 pm Last year a 38% save percentage would send this group into a fit of rage...now it's acceptable???
he made enough saves, especially early. This game was lost with turnovers, offensive inefficiency to start and gbs.

Cuse nation has already written saturday off as a win. We'll see if that's the case.
Syracuse game is pretty close to must-win … maybe not quite, but pretty close.

DocBarrister
I would think that game would leave Hop fans with a lot of optimism, played a good game and hung with a darn good and deep Virginia team.
Yup, Doc, the Hop-Cuse game is a big one for both teams. Not big as it was in past years but big in morale for both team and fans I think. A W over the big rival that has a Pietramala v Gait (a sight to behold), and long history of being seen as the standard of lacrosse is a pretty big deal. Huge game in the Dome for these two teams.
Weather? No worries.
Syracuse is such a wild card. When Mark is on his game (which seems like always), the Orange are almost unbeatable. Off-ball D will be crucial for both teams. Blue Jays need to win their share of FOs and gbs to come away with a victory. None of that is Einsteinian analysis … Blue Jays need a strong performance with few mistakes to pull off the win.

DocBarrister
Jays will be a heavy favorite to win, the likely faceoff discrepancy will be very difficult for SU to overcome.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:22 pm
NNELax wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:19 pm Last year a 38% save percentage would send this group into a fit of rage...now it's acceptable???
he made enough saves, especially early. This game was lost with turnovers, offensive inefficiency to start and gbs.

Cuse nation has already written saturday off as a win. We'll see if that's the case.

DocBarrister
I would think that game would leave Hop fans with a lot of optimism, played a good game and hung with a darn good and deep Virginia team.
Yup, Doc, the Hop-Cuse game is a big one for both teams. Not big as it was in past years but big in morale for both team and fans I think. A W over the big rival that has a Pietramala v Gait (a sight to behold), and long history of being seen as the standard of lacrosse is a pretty big deal. Huge game in the Dome for these two teams.
Weather? No worries.
Syracuse is such a wild card. When Mark is on his game (which seems like always), the Orange are almost unbeatable. Off-ball D will be crucial for both teams. Blue Jays need to win their share of FOs and gbs to come away with a victory. None of that is Einsteinian analysis … Blue Jays need a strong performance with few mistakes to pull off the win.

DocBarrister
Jays will be a heavy favorite to win, the likely faceoff discrepancy will be very difficult for SU to overcome.
Oh no you don’t … you can’t jinx us that easily.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:13 pm If you're making it a competition, 15 EMOs in two games is absolutely insane. Nine in the Carolina game alone. Have never seen numbers like that at Homewood.

It very much will be a factor that Jays have to deal with especially because your guys have been so good on man-up. That is all.
The Duke game was 4 penalties per team. In what world is that not a normal D1 game?

In the UNC game? Out of the 9 UNC penalties, 2 were faceoff violations (after SU got one of their own), and UNC had 3 illegal body checks....two of them for 2 full minutes.

Watch the game.... as I recall those fouls were well earned. You don't get 2 min. for a ticky-tack hit in Upstate NY.

There's no home cookin', my man. You'll be fine.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:28 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:22 pm

DocBarrister
Weather? No worries.

DocBarrister
Oh no you don’t … you can’t jinx us that easily.

DocBarrister ;)
LOL, I think SU matches up fairly well but not at FOGO which I think will be a major issue on Saturday and why I think Hop would be favored.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The muckety-mucks at ESPN (not the B1G minus though) had a get together with the muckety-mucks at the official's retreat here in Onondaga Valley (Alfie was invited but he said gfy, I don't want to be there) and said that the Cuse EMO unit is pretty to watch, make sure you get 'em on for us a lot. That's why they've had so many, think there was money involved as well as a dinner with Boeheim at the Dinosaur BBQ.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:30 pm Out of the 9 UNC penalties, 2 were faceoff violations (after SU got one of their own), and UNC had 3 illegal body checks....two of them for 2 full minutes.
There were actually 11 UNC penalties. They tend to play out of control, but that is wild. If that happened at Homewood there'd be riots.

All good though. Good luck this weekend. Hope no one gets hurt on either side and the refs don't decide it in either direction.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

credit to espn on the rare W. the halftime interview was really really good and it was great to have harrison in there. I don't know how carc missed narewskis debut or why he couldn't breakdown the dunn/callahan/narewski mixture.

we had 2 ssdms score today.

also for all the hopkins is too violent and gross and urban and disgusting for my kid to attend crowd those Gilman youngsters looked safe, happy, a bit tired and way too into their phones they kept checking.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:38 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:30 pm Out of the 9 UNC penalties, 2 were faceoff violations (after SU got one of their own), and UNC had 3 illegal body checks....two of them for 2 full minutes.
There were actually 11 UNC penalties. They tend to play out of control, but that is wild. If that happened at Homewood there'd be riots.

All good though. Good luck this weekend. Hope no one gets hurt on either side and the refs don't decide it in either direction.
Good luck to you too! Our D ain't there yet, imho. But who knows? It's Hop v Cuse, so I'm long past being surprised by unforeseen outcomes.
molo

Post by molo »

This game should be a confidence builder for Hopkins. In the first quarter few minutes I turned to the UVA fan sitting next to me and said,”Harvard?” Jays kept fighting back and never let the game become a blowout. It helps when the opposing goalie makes three saves and lets in 10—or so it appeared—before making save number four. I’m not sure how many teams will come this close to UVA, but two of them could be in the ACC and the other in the Big 10.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:39 pm credit to espn on the rare W. the halftime interview was really really good and it was great to have harrison in there. I don't know how carc missed narewskis debut or why he couldn't breakdown the dunn/callahan/narewski mixture.

also for all the hopkins is too violent and gross and urban and disgusting for my kid to attend crowd those Gilman youngsters looked safe, happy, a bit tired and way too into their phones they kept checking.
Gilman kids have little to do with Baltimore’s image.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:39 pm credit to espn on the rare W. the halftime interview was really really good and it was great to have harrison in there. I don't know how carc missed narewskis debut or why he couldn't breakdown the dunn/callahan/narewski mixture.

Hey Scruff McGruff, pretty sure most major crime is not committed at 5 pm on a Tuesday.
molo

Post by molo »

I have to pat myself on the back for not moving once the Gilman contingent settled into the section where I was sitting. Tough crowd but I wasn’t about to give up a spot in the top row on the center line.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Maverick wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:12 pm

Hey Scruff McGruff, pretty sure most major crime is not committed at 5 pm on a Tuesday.
according to message boards Hopkins is basically a vacant where chris partlow used to stuff bodies.

confidence builder-once they settled down and the shooting turned up it was a winnable game. Out of 7 they've only played one truly awful game and that was against Loyola which is a big improvement over some of the seasons we've seen.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

a fan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:53 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:46 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:40 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:19 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:10 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:06 pm Collison cooking Evan Zinn is all I wanted out of this game.

Great fight from the Jays. They're for real. Virginia is just too good.
Nothing wrong with that effort. Bring that Saturday and Cuse is in trouble
Agreed. Think that effort probably beats all but two or three teams in the country.
Hopkins is the third team to lose to UVA by four goals. Harvard, UMich, and now Hopkins.

I'd pick your crew over Syracuse this weekend.
Not all 4-5 goal games are created equally. Did you watch the Harvard game? The Hoos scored 20 goals in the first half. That game was over in the first quarter. Harvard ended up cutting it to 4 in the second half with their starters against UVA's backups. But they got absolutely annihilated and it wasn't anything like the game today.

Michigan did give Virginia a pretty tough game, similar to ours today.

Game in the Dome this weekend should be good. Both teams need it.
Didn't catch the Harvard game, thank you for the clarification.

I have Hop +4. Syracuse is still rebuilding their entire D, and their O isn't scoring enough to cover for that. Unless Mark puts up 22 saves again, I suppose....
He is capable of 27. The Jays only put 21 shots on goal today.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:51 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:06 pm Collison cooking Evan Zinn is all I wanted out of this game.

Agreed. Think that effort probably beats all but two or three teams in the country.
Hopkins is the third team to lose to UVA by four goals. Harvard, UMich, and now Hopkins.

Not all 4-5 goal games are created equally. Did you watch the Harvard game? The Hoos scored 20 goals in the first half. That game was over in the first quarter. Harvard ended up cutting it to 4 in the second half with their starters against UVA's backups. But they got absolutely annihilated and it wasn't anything like the game today.

I have Hop +4. Syracuse is still rebuilding their entire D, and their O isn't scoring enough to cover for that. Unless Mark puts up 22 saves again, I suppose....
Grimes Peshko Bauer Melendez and Stuart Phillips all have more turnovers than goals. That can not happen.

Chauvette has 0 apparently.

They have offensive decisions to make. Krampf is 6-1 goals to turnovers collison is 13-6
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:06 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:51 pm

Grimes Peshko Bauer Melendez and Stuart Phillips all have more turnovers than goals. That can not happen.

Chauvette has 0 apparently.

They have offensive decisions to make. Krampf is 6-1 goals to turnovers collison is 13-6
Both Krampf and Collison need to see more playing time.

Krampf with the insane 60% shot percentage and 90% SOG percentage. :shock:

I think Collison is already the Blue Jays’ best midfielder. He’s not a one-trick pony. Not only does he have a monster outside shot, but he can play well off-ball and initiate plays with his dodging. Seems to show off a new skill every week. He doesn’t have the overall speed and athleticism of a Paul Rabil, but he can do just about anything else.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Syracuse, Navy, and Delaware … all 3 in just 9 days.

Obviously a crazy schedule, but all winnable games.

If Hopkins wants a “successful” season, they will need to win at least 2 of those 3. Sweep all 3 and I think they have a good shot at making the tournament.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:45 am Syracuse, Navy, and Delaware … all 3 in just 9 days.

If Hopkins wants a “successful” season, they will need to win at least 2 of those 3. Sweep all 3 and I think they have a good shot at making the tournament.

DocBarrister 8-)
Navy is lock of the remaining season for you. Other two harder to say but should be able to split those or better.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:49 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:45 am Syracuse, Navy, and Delaware … all 3 in just 9 days.

DocBarrister 8-)
Navy is lock of the remaining season for you. Other two harder to say but should be able to split those or better.
Thanks, Ffg. Not sure any game at Navy is a lock for Hopkins (we have a “mixed” history there), but I hope you’re right.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”