D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxdad1434

Re: York 2023

Post by laxdad1434 »

MacAttack wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:34 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:25 am
Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:00 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:47 am
Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:28 am what the video doesn't show is Childs standing next to the trail to call a TO while York is losing the ball. His decision was sound, it just didn't work out for them yesterday
So he planned on playing 3 on 5 to lure them into a false sense of security, burn 20 seconds, and then call TO?...makes perfect sense.
easy for you to be critical sitting at home watching. I am sure you have years of coaching experience that allows you to question Childs. As I said before it is easy to MMQ, but I will tell you from experience that in those situations it is generally a gut feeling and not any sort of set scenario. But, you keep saying stuff as you know.

I look forward to seeing what the Kean staff does in the same scenario, on the road against the #1 team in the country down a goal
As soon as #43 p/u the ball he should have called TO. A youth league coach would have called TO as soon as they gained possession.

It's going to be a long year for York, but at least they have a good goalie, they should pray he plays an extra year.
It's amusing to listen to these keyboard coaches that suddenly know more than coach Childs. I know, you had to pickup up that xtra shift at Dunkin Donuts when Hopkins called for your coach interview or else you'd be in the big leagues by now.
Childs is one of the winning-est coaches in lacrosse. I'm sure there was reasoning behind what went down, but please by all means continue with your expert analysis on how to coach. I'm all ears and sit on the edge of my seat with anticipation. Maybe also in advance you can give Childs some advice for the upcoming Salisbury game. He and the team are going to need your opinion on how to win games for sure.

Aside from the BS troll, York played a pretty good game against the number 1 team in the country. Even with the offensive stalled, they were right there in it with a chance to win at the end. This team has shown what it can do when it's firing on all cylinders, and they'll go far this year in the playoffs. Looking forward to catching this weekends game.
York played very good, that's not the point. Childs made a bonehead decision not calling the TO. Great coaches make bad decisions, happens all the time, in all sports. That was a doosie.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:25 am As soon as #43 p/u the ball he should have called TO. A youth league coach would have called TO as soon as they gained possession.

It's going to be a long year for York, but at least they have a good goalie, they should pray he plays an extra year.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:28 am what the video doesn't show is Childs standing next to the trail to call a TO while York is losing the ball. His decision was sound, it just didn't work out for them yesterday
So he planned on playing 3 on 5 to lure them into a false sense of security, burn 20 seconds, and then call TO?...makes perfect sense.
easy for you to be critical sitting at home watching. I am sure you have years of coaching experience that allows you to question Childs. As I said before it is easy to MMQ, but I will tell you from experience that in those situations it is generally a gut feeling and not any sort of set scenario. But, you keep saying stuff as you know.

I look forward to seeing what the Kean staff does in the same scenario, on the road against the #1 team in the country down a goal
As soon as #43 p/u the ball he should have called TO. A youth league coach would have called TO as soon as they gained possession.

Ha, long year yea, if you mean a top 10 team with a great chance to win their conference and make another run in the tournament. While your boy's team fights for 5th place in their 6-team league.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

You obviously, don't understand that in college you have to have possession in the offensive box to call a TO. Thanks for proving that you are as clueless as you sound.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

It is interesting to see the reactions.

If York is what we think they are, they should give SU, Amhearst, F&M, and Gettysburg some tough games. I expect York to win 3 of them. One month from now, York Should be 7-3 and ranked in the top 10. If they can go 8-2 (which I think they can), they should be top 5

York needs to address the second half issues. Looking at the first three games. York has lead all three at half. Out scoring opponents 28-11. But York has been outscored in the second half in all three games. Trailing 13-20
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:40 pm

You obviously, don't understand that in college you have to have possession in the offensive box to call a TO. Thanks for proving that you are as clueless as you sound.
[/q
I thought it was a turnover OOB, my mistake. Still should have called the TO.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:33 pm

Ha, long year yea, if you mean a top 10 team with a great chance to win their conference and make another run in the tournament. While your boy's team fights for 5th place in their 6-team league.
[/quote
LOL..top 10? You won't be top 20 after 4-5 more losses that are coming. Kean will be just fine, battling for 3rd place in a league with 2 top 5 teams. Good luck to you, your going to need it.
Laxrealist

Post by Laxrealist »

Why is it so hard to acknowledge that a good coach made a bad decision? Or that there may be a couple things that even a good coach can improve upon? No one is infallible.
The York players played a great game against a team most people likely expected to handle them with less trouble. As in years past, to win such games against such teams, York needs to coach and play very very well. The margin for error is just too small. A good player may make a mistake in forcing a pass to the middle in traffic or may take a dumb penalty or may be late on the slide. A good coach erred in not calling timeout when he should have. Any or all of these can be the difference between a W and an L in these types of games. Against Rit, York (including Childs) fell a little short. This week is another game against another really tough opponent. Play smart and well and don’t repeat prior mistakes to get the W.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Laxrealist wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:22 pm Why is it so hard to acknowledge that a good coach made a bad decision? Or that there may be a couple things that even a good coach can improve upon? No one is infallible.
The York players played a great game against a team most people likely expected to handle them with less trouble. As in years past, to win such games against such teams, York needs to coach and play very very well. The margin for error is just too small. A good player may make a mistake in forcing a pass to the middle in traffic or may take a dumb penalty or may be late on the slide. A good coach erred in not calling timeout when he should have. Any or all of these can be the difference between a W and an L in these types of games. Against Rit, York (including Childs) fell a little short. This week is another game against another really tough opponent. Play smart and well and don’t repeat prior mistakes to get the W.
I think everyone can agree with this.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Laxrealist wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:22 pm Why is it so hard to acknowledge that a good coach made a bad decision? Or that there may be a couple things that even a good coach can improve upon? No one is infallible.
Well said!
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

AbeFroeman wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:00 pm
Obviously not everyone.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:41 am York played very good, that's not the point. Childs made a bonehead decision not calling the TO. Great coaches make bad decisions, happens all the time, in all sports. That was a doosie.
I love the low hanging fruit, but I will bite.... 8-)

Child's is not the reason why York lost to RIT.

I am actually more impressed with York at this point in the season and how they continue to develop and grow and get better with each passing week

Will you give him any credit when they beat Salisbury this week? Or all the blame if they lose a one or two goal game?
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:58 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:41 am York played very good, that's not the point. Childs made a bonehead decision not calling the TO. Great coaches make bad decisions, happens all the time, in all sports. That was a doosie.
I love the low hanging fruit, but I will bite.... 8-)

Child's is not the reason why York lost to RIT.

I am actually more impressed with York at this point in the season and how they continue to develop and grow and get better with each passing week

Will you give him any credit when they beat Salisbury this week? Or all the blame if they lose a one or two goal game?
Blame...who's blaming Childs? He should have called a TO which would have better set them up for the tie, but that doesn't guarantee a win. I think some of these Childs backers a related to him and take the scrutiny personally. It's college lax, they need to have some fun with it and relax.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I would imagine McPartland will be taking the draws for the Gulls. Facciponti matches up well with him, keeping him under .500 in their last meeting.

As always, keeping Salisbury from scoring is easiest when they don’t have the ball…
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I saw the W&L /York contest then watched the Salisbury /Lynchburg. Just based on eye test I think both Lynchburg and Salisbury takes York in a competitive game. Need to look at the RIT game to change my mind but I don’t think they are at near the same level as last year losing 3 of their leading scorers. Still early
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Facciponti will be a problem for any team. He gives York a strong advantage and will keep a team like Salisbury from playing make it take it.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:26 pm I saw the W&L /York contest then watched the Salisbury /Lynchburg. Just based on eye test I think both Lynchburg and Salisbury takes York in a competitive game. Need to look at the RIT game to change my mind but I don’t think they are at near the same level as last year losing 3 of their leading scorers. Still early
100%. If I were to base my impression of this York team off the W&L game, I wouldn’t give them a shot against too many great teams. All respect to W&L, who came out and got the W, but that was the worst performance I’ve seen out of a York team in years. Thankfully, having watched them vs Ursinus and RIT, they certainly have tightened up.

I’m not a coach, nor did I stay in a holiday inn last night, but the RIT game was clearly one of adjustments. Down 5-1 RIT made defensive adjustments, shutting down York’s hot hands. From there they began generating offense off the rush & coming out of the box (their brand of game), eventually evening the game up. York adjusted defensively to slow the momentum, and the game was relatively even from there on out. But just like RIT was able to adjust into running their down hill offense, I felt York had to make some sort of offensive adjustment to free up their hands and get room to shoot in the 2nd half to better keep up the scoring pace. RIT suffocated York’s O.

While possibly more talented than ever, York is a much younger team than in recent years. And as someone above previously mentioned, there still seems to be 2nd half issues. Perhaps it’s an issue of adjustments/flexibility in approach from some of the youth, or perhaps it’s the quality of coaches and opponents they’re going up against, making their own adjustments at the half.

If they grow half as much as they did between the W&L game and the RIT game, they’ll be more than just fine. Heck, we’re talking like they didn’t just play the #1, defending back to back national champion, to one goal (leading them for half the game).
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:35 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:26 pm I saw the W&L /York contest then watched the Salisbury /Lynchburg. Just based on eye test I think both Lynchburg and Salisbury takes York in a competitive game. Need to look at the RIT game to change my mind but I don’t think they are at near the same level as last year losing 3 of their leading scorers. Still early
100%. If I were to base my impression of this York team off the W&L game, I wouldn’t give them a shot against too many great teams. All respect to W&L, who came out and got the W, but that was the worst performance I’ve seen out of a York team in years. Thankfully, having watched them vs Ursinus and RIT, they certainly have tightened up.

I’m not a coach, nor did I stay in a holiday inn last night, but the RIT game was clearly one of adjustments. Down 5-1 RIT made defensive adjustments, shutting down York’s hot hands. From there they began generating offense off the rush & coming out of the box (their brand of game), eventually evening the game up. York adjusted defensively to slow the momentum, and the game was relatively even from there on out. But just like RIT was able to adjust into running their down hill offense, I felt York had to make some sort of offensive adjustment to free up their hands and get room to shoot in the 2nd half to better keep up the scoring pace. RIT suffocated York’s O.

While possibly more talented than ever, York is a much younger team than in recent years. And as someone above previously mentioned, there still seems to be 2nd half issues. Perhaps it’s an issue of adjustments/flexibility in approach from some of the youth, or perhaps it’s the quality of coaches and opponents they’re going up against, making their own adjustments at the half.

If they grow half as much as they did between the W&L game and the RIT game, they’ll be more than just fine. Heck, we’re talking like they didn’t just play the #1, defending back to back national champion, to one goal (leading them for half the game).
Deep, you’ve got the pulse of York as well as anyone. I watched the RIT/York highlights on RIT’s site. RIT may be ranked #1 but I don’t believe they are close to last years team which I think that ranking is mostly based on especially after seeing the highlights. Right now again just from the eye test Salisbury and Lynchburg were both playing at a very high level this weekend, they both looked very strong. I know Gburg beat Salisbury and I’ll get a look at them this weekend when W&L plays them. W&L’s issue in this game will be question marks in the goal and are they capable of FOUR qtrs of very high level play. They’ve get to do that for all 4, second qtr Denison was not pretty then played a great second half. You can’t do that with top 10 teams. Good luck this week, I want you to win out and make the Gennies win count
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

AbeFroeman wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:00 pm
I actually don’t agree with this at all. It was a decision that did not work out. Childs in known for trusting his players to make plays and this decision is consistent with what he has done in the past. This time it did not work out but it was not a bad decision.
What it a bad decision not to call a TO against CNU last year?
Just because it is your opinion that he should have called a TO does not make it a bad decision
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:29 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:35 pm

Deep, you’ve got the pulse of York as well as anyone. I watched the RIT/York highlights on RIT’s site. RIT may be ranked #1 but I don’t believe they are close to last years team which I think that ranking is mostly based on especially after seeing the highlights. Right now again just from the eye test Salisbury and Lynchburg were both playing at a very high level this weekend, they both looked very strong. I know Gburg beat Salisbury and I’ll get a look at them this weekend when W&L plays them. W&L’s issue in this game will be question marks in the goal and are they capable of FOUR qtrs of very high level play. They’ve get to do that for all 4, second qtr Denison was not pretty then played a great second half. You can’t do that with top 10 teams. Good luck this week, I want you to win out and make the Gennies win count
I agree with the idea that RIT is not playing as well as last year and is truly probably number three behind Tufts and CNU. We get to see them against CNU in a couple of weeks. That being said York is playing better than they did in the 2nd half of the W&L game. I think that W&L v Gettysburg is goi g to be a great game and I can’t wait to see it.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”