3. Patriot
4. Robinson
5. Westfield
6. South County
7. Chantilly
8. Battlefield
9. Woodson
10. Yorktown

Any team can beat anyone this year. Who’s going to show up when it matters most. Let’s hope ALL of the refs start to put away their flags and let the boys play. After watching some of the private school games lately, it’s night and day with how much the refs let them play compared to the majority of public school games
SpinalTap14

Re: Virginia 6A 2019

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Great point about the refs. And from what I heard, the crew who worked the Battlefield/Madison game need to be banned for life from coming anywhere near a lacrosse field or at least banished to entry-level JV games. I hope Mr. Joyner reads this.
VA6ALacrosse

Post by VA6ALacrosse »

Nothing personal to the refs. I have a lot of respect for them, and know how difficult it can be to officiate a game and deal with the coaches, parents and players all hounding you for every little call. That being said, I don’t think it would hurt for some of them to watch a few of the private high school games, and see the amount of freedom those refs allow in their games. Only the most obvious calls draw the flags. If it’s a 50/50 chance it was/wasn’t a flag, those guys keep their laundry clean.

I know the level of play is typically more skilled in the private school leagues, but not so far off from the top level VA publics that games should be called so differently regarding the amount of flags each game. Not saying that every game has been like that this season, but it is a shame to see any game called poorly.

We have a good amount of skilled refs in the VA publics, but there are some that just need a bit more perspective to understand it is better for the game when the refs allow more freedom. And I don’t mean regarding cheap shots or dangerous hits. Those type of plays will draw a flag every time.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

1 Briar Woods 9-0-0 93.57 8.11 85.46
2 Riverside VA 8-1-0 91.96 8.00 83.96
3 Stone Bridge 5-1-0 89.74 5.66 84.08
4 Madison VA 8-2-0 89.39 3.80 85.59
5 Atlee 8-0-0 89.11 9.50 79.61
6 Dominion 6-3-0 88.52 -0.11 88.63
7 Oakton 8-4-0 88.48 1.75 86.73
8 Robinson VA 7-4-0 88.21 3.72 84.49
9 Patriot 6-4-0 87.83 0.30 87.53
10 Freedom South Riding 7-2-0 87.22 4.00 83.22

Good to see a Fairfax County 6A school finally crack the top 5 in the State public school rankings even if they are not one of the "original" FFX county teams. I think SB may be ranked too high as they lost to Oakton. BW-Freedom is a big game this week but BW's schedule favor's a strong finish. Look for the possible upset when they take on JC. You heard it here first. Maybe fans this week will get lucky and we can get some private school quality refs.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

VA6ALacrosse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:33 pm Nothing personal to the refs. I have a lot of respect for them, and know how difficult it can be to officiate a game and deal with the coaches, parents and players all hounding you for every little call. That being said, I don’t think it would hurt for some of them to watch a few of the private high school games, and see the amount of freedom those refs allow in their games. Only the most obvious calls draw the flags. If it’s a 50/50 chance it was/wasn’t a flag, those guys keep their laundry clean.

I know the level of play is typically more skilled in the private school leagues, but not so far off from the top level VA publics that games should be called so differently regarding the amount of flags each game. Not saying that every game has been like that this season, but it is a shame to see any game called poorly.

We have a good amount of skilled refs in the VA publics, but there are some that just need a bit more perspective to understand it is better for the game when the refs allow more freedom. And I don’t mean regarding cheap shots or dangerous hits. Those type of plays will draw a flag every time.
Don't the privates play NCAA rules while the publics go with the NFHS? I think the difference between the two allows for "more freedom". Not just the rules themselves, but the mindset the refs go into situations that have a difference in governing bodies for rules.
dmvlaxin

Post by dmvlaxin »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:29 am 1 Briar Woods 9-0-0 93.57 8.11 85.46

Good to see a Fairfax County 6A school finally crack the top 5 in the State public school rankings even if they are not one of the "original" FFX county teams. I think SB may be ranked too high as they lost to Oakton. BW-Freedom is a big game this week but BW's schedule favor's a strong finish. Look for the possible upset when they take on JC. You heard it here first. Maybe fans this week will get lucky and we can get some private school quality refs.
Stone Bridge definitely over-rated based on the loss to Oakton. SB schedule has been a bit soft, I think Champe is better, Dominion is also better than SB based on pre-season scrimmage, Dominion handled them easily. Champe is a long shot to beat Briar, Briars defense this year is as good as it gets for public school lax.
Adriano

Post by Adriano »

Patriot over Battlefield 8 to 7 in triple OT.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Adriano wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:00 pm Patriot over Battlefield 8 to 7 in triple OT.
The battle of mediocrity, exciting.
FSUFan

Post by FSUFan »

Last edited by FSUFan on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

FSUFan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:15 am I agree 100%. I just shook my head as to how a Patriot Attacker/(Middie?) behind the cage gets put on his A$$ by a Battlefield player and has the ball taken away from him with the score tied late in the game.

Or the last shot in regulation by the Patriot Middie that went SIX FEET WIDE LEFT of the cage-- not even having a prayer of going in the net. Why even let him handle the ball if that kid can't shoot?!? Heck, why even have him on Varsity? Mediocre player at best, and that is being kind.

The Battlefield Goalie truly had a great game.

Go Cats!
I was not at the game but a triple OT game between the two top teams in PWC sounds exciting. Relative to the top teams in N.VA they are middle of the road and near the lower end of top 10-15 so yes, mediocre could be used. Seems like these teams are not quite as strong as the better Patriot Battlefield teams of recent years but maybe have better potential talent?
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

FSU Fan:

Sometimes shots can get away. So the dude missed a shot. Big deal. He is still someone's son, and my bet is that he's better than you ever were. Show some class.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Glad the Battlefield goalie had a good game. He is a good kid and works hard.
down_the_alley

Post by down_the_alley »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:29 am 1 Briar Woods 9-0-0 93.57 8.11 85.46

If JC upsets BW, the Young bros will have to play the game of their lives! :D

I won't be surprised if Briar runs the table this season and goes undefeated. The scores getting posted don't even tell the whole story. This is one of the few HS teams that doesn't just keep one or two starting lines in. Last nights game vs. Freedom was 11-3. Liberal subs after the half. It is a senior heavy class - next year will be a completely different ball game.
Adriano

Post by Adriano »

MyLongStick wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:57 pm
Adriano wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:00 pm Patriot over Battlefield 8 to 7 in triple OT.
The battle of mediocrity, exciting.
Yes, it was a very exciting game against two foes who were fighting for a potential one seed in the playoffs. Both goalies played well and kept the game from reaching double digits by either squad.

You may not like the way they play but the talent on these teams is as good as any 6A team. Both of these mediocre teams beat Madison who some on this forum have anointed as the best in 6A this year. I have not seen any critique of the game between Battlefield and Madison except for the criticism of the refs who should have "let them play". If the penalties were so lopsided, one could conclude that the refs were sending a message that they value player safety and that dangerous play would not be tolerated.

I think two things are clear to me:

1) 6A is wide open
2) This forum is incredibly biased
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

Madison over Langley 9-5. Aaron Solomon has the Warhawks playing fast and hard. No D1 stars, just hungry, aggressive play across the board. Oakton also big over Yorktown tonight. Cream is starting to rise.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

I think two things are clear to me:

1) 6A is wide open
2) This forum is incredibly biased
You are correct on both counts. The bias is toward Fairfax county schools same as the Lax Power Forum. However, this year must have the Old School Fairfax faithfull scratching their heads as the clear cut not debatable top public schools are 5A and 4A. I think it is fair to say that the top 8 5a = to the top 8 6A yet much smaller pool of students. This year makes it clear that with HS, Youth, and now PVI move, the lacrosse HOTBED of Northern VA is Loudoun not Fairfax.
Pipecitybaby

Post by Pipecitybaby »

Fairfax County vs. LOUDOUN County is a hot topic. Clearly, the Loudoun 5A and 4A school teams are much better this year. What I think is interesting is why are they better.

1) Briar Woods, for example, has a senior class that has played together since their youth rec league (Dulles South), along with playing together on the Cavaliers club team. Loudoun County allows teams to practice and be coached by their HS coach year round.

2) Riverside, Loudoun County allows students to enroll in any school within the county as long as the school is under-enrolled. Not sure how 3 D1 Attachman ended up at the same school.

3) Good coaches have followed the teachers to Loudoun County where the facilities are better and the pay is better.

4) Teams like Oakton, Langley, and other schools lose players to private schools like PVI, Gonzaga, St. Stephens because they are closer to these schools vs. the Loudoun kids where the travel distance is significant.

Just some food for thought. Best of luck to all of the teams in the playoffs.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Pipecitybaby wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:46 pm Fairfax County vs. LOUDOUN County is a hot topic. Clearly, the Loudoun 5A and 4A school teams are much better this year. What I think is interesting is why are they better.

1) Briar Woods, for example, has a senior class that has played together since their youth rec league (Dulles South), along with playing together on the Cavaliers club team. Loudoun County allows teams to practice and be coached by their HS coach year round.

2) Riverside, Loudoun County allows students to enroll in any school within the county as long as the school is under-enrolled. Not sure how 3 D1 Attachman ended up at the same school.

3) Good coaches have followed the teachers to Loudoun County where the facilities are better and the pay is better.

4) Teams like Oakton, Langley, and other schools lose players to private schools like PVI, Gonzaga, St. Stephens because they are closer to these schools vs. the Loudoun kids where the travel distance is significant.

Just some food for thought. Best of luck to all of the teams in the playoffs.
Very interesting points but:
1. The DS team that are now seniors was loaded with D1 talent that is spread among Freedom, Champe, BW, and PVI. Cavalier does help BW but some play for other clubs like VLC and BW. You are correct that kids that play together will build strong programs. Robinson has TC.
2. Riverside was given this advantage at the start of the school but also think about the talent at other Loudoun schools that get's cut in half every year as a new school opens. If compared to Fairfax schools sizes Champe and Freedom and Briar Woods and Rockridge would each be one school
3. This is not true. Teacher pay is better in Fairfax by a huge margin and most coaches work for basically free. Pay is NOT a factor. I do not think facilities are a factor just more lacrosse experienced coaches living in Loudoun.
4. PVI this year has arguably more Loudoun talent than Fairfax or at least equal and will have even more in the future. Some Loudoun kids also go to St John's Gonzaga and others.
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

Riverside, Loudoun County allows students to enroll in any school within the county as long as the school is under-enrolled. Not sure how 3 D1 Attachman ended up at the same school.

While being true, if a school in LoCo is under enrolled they will allow students to transfer (however not be able to play a sport for 365 days). This is NOT true for Riversides Lacrosse team. All the kids live inside the Riverside footprint, which is predominantly Belmont CC and the Lansdowne Community. The 3 DI's commits (although the one has decommitted and decided to just be a college kid) have been best friends and playing together since before middle school. Two live in Lansdowne and the other Belmont. Played Ashburn Bandits together.

Riverside was given this advantage at the start of the school

I think this belief originated because in the beginning (RS first year 15/16') 4-5 kids left Tuscarora after their Sophomore year with the goal to start the Riverside Lacrosse program, but also go back to school with the kids they went to Elementary and Middle School with, including their younger brothers and sisters. They were given this option without having to abide by the 365 rule, since they all lived in Lansdowne and RS was being built in their backyard. Actually, all Sophomores at Tuscarora and Stone Bridge had this option, but the overwhelming majority of SB Sophs stayed at SB. Their first year RS went 11-4 with 5-6 juniors and the rest freshman and sophmores. Since then they are 46-3 with two OT loses (Oakton and Dominion in 2018) and one 2 goal lose to Briar this year.

but also think about the talent at other Loudoun schools that get's cut in half every year as a new school opens. If compared to Fairfax schools sizes Champe and Freedom and Briar Woods and Rockridge would each be one school

And Riverside and Stone Bridge would be one. Next year RS moves to 5a and the battles with Briar and SB will be constant.
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Isn't this a 6A Forum?

If I wanted to read about Riverdale I'd go to the 4A Forum.

What happened to the old LaxPower days when people would actually post summaries of games and who stepped up?

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”