Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Turnandrake

Re: Navy 2023

Post by Turnandrake »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:14 am No mention of what happened to 29 at the 8:08 mark in the 3rd. I watched the hit a few times over and over and from the camera angle do not see anything that looks egregious. He required two people to assist him walking off the field, then is back on the field shortly thereafter. Cost the team a conduct foul...on the trainer? then Lehgih went on a quick short run.
Thanks. I no longer subscribe to the crabwrapper, seems the headline provides the answer.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Seeing the hit “live” and watching it over/over again later that night, I thought it was high for sure. But, More importantly seeing 29 helped off the field was disturbing and then seeing him back in the game less than 3 minutes later was borderline incomprehensible, What the heck is going on with the Coaching/Head Trainer. Are we that desperate to win, Really.

The “Conduct” penalty was 100 percent on Amplo. I was in total agreement with Amplo chewing some a$$ on the closest official. But, notice the official gave Amplo sufficient time voice his opinion, but when Amplo continued at rant, rave and then the yellow flag flew (Wake Up Navy Stadium Announcer- keep calling it Yellow Card) . Then all hell broke loose. I have never seen a D1 Coach get on his hands/ knees and pound the ground/pure rage.

Lehigh went on a run after the flag and the rest is history.

Navy 20 was incredible at the F/O- X , Well done !

Lehigh Motion Offense was legit and had the Navy defense in the spin cycle all day

Navy’s offense had moments of excellence with sharing the ball. But, then went back to hero ball.

Navy has the talent, culture, facilities and budget. So, What the hell is really go on?

Amplo has depended on the “STAR” power to win and not developed/prepared the rest of the team. The Let’s see what happens this weekend without the “Star” power.
lorin

Post by lorin »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:50 pm Seeing the hit “live” and watching it over/over again later that night, I thought it was high for sure. But, More importantly seeing 29 helped off the field was disturbing and then seeing him back in the game less than 3 minutes later was borderline incomprehensible, What the heck is going on with the Coaching/Head Trainer. Are we that desperate to win, Really.

The “Conduct” penalty was 100 percent on Amplo. I was in total agreement with Amplo chewing some a$$ on the closest official. But, notice the official gave Amplo sufficient time voice his opinion, but when Amplo continued at rant, rave and then the yellow flag flew (Wake Up Navy Stadium Announcer- keep calling it Yellow Card) . Then all hell broke loose. I have never seen a D1 Coach get on his hands/ knees and pound the ground/pure rage.

Lehigh went on a run after the flag and the rest is history.

Navy 20 was incredible at the F/O- X , Well done !

Lehigh Motion Offense was legit and had the Navy defense in the spin cycle all day

Navy’s offense had moments of excellence with sharing the ball. But, then went back to hero ball.

Navy has the talent, culture, facilities and budget. So, What the hell is really go on?

Amplo has depended on the “STAR” power to win and not developed/prepared the rest of the team. The Let’s see what happens this weekend without the “Star” power.
Sorry to hear about 29 great player ,wish him a speedy and safe recovery.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Hope 29 has a speedy recovery. I had been thinking he took a hit to the groin from how he crumpled to the ground and then walked so gingerly to the sideline. Seemed like a knee, maybe? I think a low blow would also explain why Amplo went so crazy.

Bottom line: whatever it is, hope he's comfortable and back on the field soon.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:47 pm Hope 29 has a speedy recovery. I had been thinking he took a hit to the groin from how he crumpled to the ground and then walked so gingerly to the sideline. Seemed like a knee, maybe? I think a low blow would also explain why Amplo went so crazy.

+1

The odd part is he came back in and played solidly. I suppose adrenalin may have taken oven and the swelling flared up later that evening Sunday. If lower in groin, I was thinking torsion.

As you said, hope hobos comfortable and it’s not serious.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

Partial excerpt (from still the best hometown newspaper in the USA):
Navy men’s lacrosse All-American midfielder Patrick Skalniak out indefinitely with back injury

By Bill Wagner, Capital Gazette, Mar 06, 2023

Navy men’s lacrosse will be without its most dangerous shooter and one of its top scorers for an undetermined number of games.
Senior midfielder Patrick Skalniak sustained an upper back injury during Saturday’s game against Lehigh and is out indefinitely, head coach Joe Amplo said. Amplo termes the injury as “significant” and said there is no timetable for Skalniak’s return.
“Obviously, indefinitely is very vague, but honestly it’s really how his body responds,” Amplo said.

Skalniak absorbed a severe upper body blow during a play that wound up being a major turning point in the game, which Lehigh won 13-10. Skalniak had unleashed a cannon crank shot that Lehigh goalie Nick Pecora somehow stopped.
The ball hit off Pecora’s stick and rebounded back into play. Skalniak reacted quickly and rushed forward to scoop the ground ball, but was met by Lehigh defenseman Colin Fowler.

Replays showed that Fowler delivered a hard hit to the shoulders, head and neck area of Skalniak, who immediately collapsed to the turf. Amplo raced onto the field screaming at officials for not throwing a flag then quickly dropped to his knees to check on Skalniak.
Moments later, an official tossed a yellow flag high in the air and the Navy bench was penalized for misconduct.
Amplo has already reached out to the supervisor of officials seeking a clarification on why the high hit did not draw a penalty.
“I’m more disappointed they missed a couple calls before that involving the same kid. He was allowed to hit high at least once, if not twice, before that,” Amplo said. “This one player was allowed to get away with playing the way he wanted to play.”
Amplo was particularly disappointed that policing upper body hits was made a point of emphasis going into this season and so far officials have been penalizing players for any contact from the shoulders up.
“This was a pretty vicious, violent hit that was not even considered a penalty, which is frustrating for me,” Amplo said.

After being treated by team trainers on the sideline for several minutes, Skalniak returned to the game and scored another goal off a sidearm crank shot. He finished the game with two goals and an assist and currently ranks third on the team in scoring with 11 points.
Skalniak was taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center after he reported to trainers that he was still in pain in the locker room afterward.
“After the game was over, Pat was still in extreme discomfort so we brought him to the hospital for precautionary reasons,” Amplo said. “The hope was it was a stinger or muscle spasms, but the images came back with some other stuff.”

“It’s unfortunate for Pat that he’s not going to be out there for a while. That’s what I feel bad about,” Amplo said.
Skalniak walked out of Anne Arundel Medical Center along with Amplo after undergoing X-rays and will be able to attend classes at the Naval Academy.
“Fortunately, there is no long-term impact and Pat should heal just fine,” Amplo said.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:14 pm
The Orfling wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:47 pm Hope 29 has a speedy recovery. I had been thinking he took a hit to the groin from how he crumpled to the ground and then walked so gingerly to the sideline. Seemed like a knee, maybe? I think a low blow would also explain why Amplo went so crazy.

+1

The odd part is he came back in and played solidly. I suppose adrenalin may have taken oven and the swelling flared up later that evening Sunday. If lower in groin, I was thinking torsion.

Testicular torsion almost always needs surgery to fix. In rare cases, the doctor might be able to untwist the spermatic cord by pushing on the scrotum, but most males will still need surgery to attach both testicles to the scrotum to prevent torsion from happening in the future.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
old salt

Post by old salt »

JHU69 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:12 am

+1

Testicular torsion almost always needs surgery to fix. In rare cases, the doctor might be able to untwist the spermatic cord by pushing on the scrotum, but most males will still need surgery to attach both testicles to the scrotum to prevent torsion from happening in the future.
:? ...it's reportedly an upper back injury, to the shoulder area. It was a high hit.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:03 am
JHU69 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:12 am

+1

:? ...it's reportedly an upper back injury, to the shoulder area. It was a high hit.
Not implying it is not a back injury, just speculating out loud if it was indeed an injury to the groin area, based on Orflings comment. As an aside, I know someone that took a shot to the groin, immediate pain subsided, went on with his day, then as a result of that blow, torsion took place, blood flow subsided and the pain & swelling slowly ramps up. His was saved b/c he he immediately knew what was happening....had surgery to get it untwisted and tacked.
~Livy

Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

6 going to be coming out of the midfield now?
CU88

Post by CU88 »

old salt wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:51 pm
Partial excerpt (from still the best hometown newspaper in the USA):
+1

A Gem of a publication.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Bill Wagner is indeed the best of was once a great local paper. The staff is no longer local as they closed their local office. The HS sportswriter is writing in HS hyperbole and we no longer get box scores. Bill W is an exclusive USNA scribe and does a great job. The feeds for scores always have other Counties scores as if there is only one local writer for the entire Baltimore area. In addition, the Capital no longer covers local politics like they once did before being bought by the Baltimore Sun. Sorry for the rant but I miss the old Capitol when it was fondly called the “crab wrapper” not the “Crapitol”.
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

If it was an upper back injury or shoulder injury not sure how it was a high hit.
After watching it, the hit does not look bad, it even looks like 29 absorb the hit with his arms extended and that may explain the back injury.
Coach mentioned that the Lehigh player had been out of control all game, I never noticed that at all, didn't think the game was a physical game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

CU88

Post by CU88 »

Seahawk wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:03 am Bill Wagner is indeed the best of was once a great local paper. The staff is no longer local as they closed their local office. The HS sportswriter is writing in HS hyperbole and we no longer get box scores. Bill W is an exclusive USNA scribe and does a great job. The feeds for scores always have other Counties scores as if there is only one local writer for the entire Baltimore area. In addition, the Capital no longer covers local politics like they once did before being bought by the Baltimore Sun. Sorry for the rant but I miss the old Capitol when it was fondly called the “crab wrapper” not the “Crapitol”.
Kindly, I suggest that you try to find another paper to compare it with today, instead of the past.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Unfortunately, print press everywhere is in death spiral with the rise of social media. In the Baltimore area there is only one paper, the Sun, and even it’s not locally owned anymore. In sports, scores are a day late and box scores two days late. As for the Capital, there is no local comparison because the Sun bought up all the local papers. I appreciate what I do get, like Bill Wagner but it’s just not what it was but could be with a little investment.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I got a Sun archives subscription.

Tremendous history, great coverage from back in the day
lacrosse - box scores from many or most DI and higher level
teams including those not exclusive to greater Baltimore.

Info you can’t just search for on the InterWeb.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

When you are prioritizing cost cutting it is hard to invest.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Last edited by old salt on Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”