January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:59 am HOW WOULD YOU ARREST A FORMER PRESIDENT?
As I was reading the four-journalist WaPo story noting what I noted (and provided far more details about) almost three months ago — that the investigation into Trump has been greatly complicated by the involvement of lawyers in his suspected crimes — I thought about how one might arrest Donald Trump. WaPo is interested in whether it can be done before the first debates in August. I’m interested in the logistics of it.

Especially given another temporal complication that WaPo, with all those reporters, doesn’t mention: That the DC Circuit, a panel including two Trump appointees, is taking its own sweet time ruling on DOJ’s application of obstruction to January 6, which was argued back in December. The January 6 Committee referred Trump for 1512(c)(2), which also happens to be the framework DOJ has been using since summer 2021. It’s virtually certain that no matter how the DC Circuit rules, the application can still be applied to Trump (because he corruptly sought a personal benefit involving documents). But if I were Jack Smith, I’d wait to see the guideposts Trump’s own appointees put on the application before I charged it. I have also long said that certain steps may be contingent on the Proud Boy trial, which seems like it’ll go on forever.

I’m not promising Trump will be arrested. But think about the logistical complexities of the task, if Smith were to decide to do it. How do you arrest a rich man — if not quite a billionaire — with access to several planes and his own MAGA army? How do you stage it, given all the potential or likely co-conspirators?

The question of how to arrest Trump is likely also a pressing issue given the likelihood that DOJ still hasn’t obtained all the documents Trump stole, given the multiple properties that haven’t been searched (including Trump’s jet).
Interesting Comment Section in this PMM post...

Yikes; BMAZ certainly thinks a lot of their own expertise. And speaks as if he/she has actual site authority...is that the case?

I don't read all of these, more sporadic, so I don't know the personalities who participate.
njbill

Post by njbill »

He’s an Arizona criminal attorney who has been involved with PMM for many years. He is a moderator and an occasional contributor to the site.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:48 am He’s an Arizona criminal attorney who has been involved with PMM for many years. He is a moderator and an occasional contributor to the site.
ok; the tone was rather off-putting.

Is he generally 'correct' on the law?

He seems to have some biases and a rather caustic way of expressing them. Again, off-putting.

Of course, some of the other participants have their own biases...
njbill

Post by njbill »

I only occasionally read the site and the comments.

When he is commenting in his lane - criminal law – he seems to know what he is talking about. But then I’m not a criminal law expert.

I find his comments tend to be less accurate the more he strays from his area of expertise.

Very caustic, unnecessarily so in my view. Wouldn’t last long on this board. I’m somewhat surprised that PMM has not reined him in, but there may be reasons for that I’m not aware of.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

When I first read the comments BMAZ was responding to, they seemed reasonable enough…measured even…bmaz definitely kinda of grating in his responses. Made me think he and this poster had some sort of history…

PMM seems pretty spot on in her speculations about the mechanics of the arresting of a DOPUS.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
njbill

Post by njbill »

He’s that way with a lot of posters. He eases up on old timers, but really goes after new posters and posters he doesn’t know.

If Trump is indicted, it will be interesting to see how his arrest is handled. Will he appear voluntarily, trying to avoid a spectacle? Or will he hole himself up at Mar-a-Lago and force some type of confrontation like Roger Stone did? I wouldn’t put it past him to orchestrate a “really big shew” and then try to use the video to inflame his base. He does like attention.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:50 pm What is going on here? https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpeA_HEr ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Just putting it out there….
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:55 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:50 pm What is going on here? https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpeA_HEr ... MyMTA2M2Y=
I'm sure they didn't show any of it at his trial. Could have kept him out of the clink.
Typical Lax Dad

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:55 pm
I'm sure they didn't show any of it at his trial. Could have kept him out of the clink.
Co-conspirators caught on video!!
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Just Tucker Carlson cherry picking video to make you think there was not really an insurrection.

That is why it was released to him exclusively first - to get an alternate false message out there before other more responsible news gatherers can get the same footage access and show you what actually happened.
njbill

Post by njbill »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:59 pm Just Tucker Carlson cherry picking video to make you think there was not really an insurrection.
Tucker is such an idiot that he does not realize the video he doctored in an apparent attempt to show this guy was innocent actually proves conclusively the guy committed the crimes he pled guilty to. 🤦🏻‍♂️
a fan

Post by a fan »

YA, come on man. Use your head. Think: Covington Catholic video.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What’s going on here is that Instagram is designed for sliding into DMs not intellectual thought or deep analysis.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:27 am
What’s going on here is that Instagram is designed for sliding into DMs not intellectual thought or deep analysis.
And just like that, he's heading down the algorithmic rabbit hole. But sure, get info on Instagram.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

njbill wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:29 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:59 pm Just Tucker Carlson cherry picking video to make you think there was not really an insurrection.
Tucker is such an idiot that he does not realize the video he doctored in an apparent attempt to show this guy was innocent actually proves conclusively the guy committed the crimes he pled guilty to. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Thanks. The part I do not understand is why the CHP are just allowing this guy to roam around the halls, all while chaos is ensuing elsewhere. Sure, I get it, the CHP are doing a great job leading him 'away' from members of congress, places they do not want him to go, and in a calm demeanor buying time for others to get to safety.

I am more upset that Carlson is providing a roadmap and intel for the bad guys to learn from.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:33 am
Thanks. The part I do not understand is why the CHP are just allowing this guy to roam around the halls, all while chaos is ensuing elsewhere. Sure, I get it, the CHP are doing a great job leading him 'away' from members of congress, places they do not want him to go, and in a calm demeanor buying time for others to get to safety.

I am more upset that Carlson is providing a roadmap and intel for the bad guys to learn from.
If this is what concerns you about Carlson's nightly discussions, you need to catch up.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:30 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:27 am
And just like that, he's heading down the algorithmic rabbit hole. But sure, get info on Instagram.
My rabbit holes are music on YouTube and on a company of sites owned by a business called MindGeek.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
njbill

Post by njbill »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:33 am

I have some of the same questions. The explanation I have heard is that since the police were so outnumbered, they were trying to de-escalate and not start confrontations with the intruders, which I guess they thought might happen if they started arresting people.

Return to “POLITICS”