Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PizzaSnake

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by PizzaSnake »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 am The way things are shaping up (and there's a lot of lacrosse still to be played), I would not be shocked by a 2-bid year; the out-of-conference record is good, not great, and not historically great like last year, so there won't be "the ACC effect" where the teams go into league play with sky-high RPI and the inter-league losses don't end up hurting.

Current Ivy Power Rankings (from an avowed Yale loyalist):

1. Cornell (separated from the pack)
2. Yale on a good day (Yale on a bad day could drop to 5)
3. Penn (close but they get the nod for defense/goalie)
4. Princeton (but will rise as they figure things out)
5. Brown (if D. McLane and TYK are healthy)
6. Harvard (can easily move up as goalie/defense gel)
7. Dartmouth (this is the year they get the Ivy win, knocking off any of teams 2-6).
Didn’t watch the Commonwealth Bowl yesterday. Not paying for Big-10 coverage, but the box score tells me what I feared about Penn this year: no hustle — groundballs tilted the Kittens way, and the shot-on-goal number was ridiculous. Is Aceri bad, or just not very good? Penn is one loss from being in a must run-the-table situation.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I watched it. Game was tied 9-9 at the end of Q3, and in Q4, it was minor mistakes all over the field, plus some bad luck (as well as excellent play by PSU), that did Penn in, not lack of hustle on GBs or FOs.

PSU looked very good, they will be a tough opponent for Cornell next Saturday.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:49 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 am The way things are shaping up (and there's a lot of lacrosse still to be played), I would not be shocked by a 2-bid year; the out-of-conference record is good, not great, and not historically great like last year, so there won't be "the ACC effect" where the teams go into league play with sky-high RPI and the inter-league losses don't end up hurting.

Current Ivy Power Rankings (from an avowed Yale loyalist):

1. Cornell (separated from the pack)
2. Yale on a good day (Yale on a bad day could drop to 5)
3. Penn (close but they get the nod for defense/goalie)
4. Princeton (but will rise as they figure things out)
5. Brown (if D. McLane and TYK are healthy)
6. Harvard (can easily move up as goalie/defense gel)
7. Dartmouth (this is the year they get the Ivy win, knocking off any of teams 2-6).
Didn’t watch the Commonwealth Bowl yesterday. Not paying for Big-10 coverage, but the box score tells me what I feared about Penn this year: no hustle — groundballs tilted the Kittens way, and the shot-on-goal number was ridiculous.

Is Aceri bad, or just not very good?

Almost forgot about this guy, transfer from UNC - Tambroni really has been re-working his formula the past two years,
Chase Mullins
North Carolina
Verified - 5 Star
St. Christopher's School (VA)
#19 Class of 2021 Rankings - Face-Off
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:40 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:28 pm Some strong individual performances in the Ivy League this week:

Offense:

CJ Kirst: 16 points (4,1) for Cornell vs OSU, (7,4) for Cornell vs Hobart
Matt Brandau: 8 points (4,4) for Yale vs UMass
Billy Coyle: 8 points (4,1) for Cornell vs OSU, (2,0) for Cornell vs Hobart
Aidan McLane: 7 points (5,2) for Brown vs Stony Brook
Chris Lyons: 5 points (5,0) for Yale vs UMass
Emmett Paradine: 5 points (4,1) for Dartmouth vs Siena (strong Rookie Performance)
Hayden Cheek: 4 points (4,0) for Harvard vs UVM
Miles Botkiss: 4 points (2,2) for Harvard vs UVM

Defense:

Jared Paquette: 22 saves/ 73% for Yale vs UMass
Christian Barnard: 13 saves/ 72% for Harvard vs UVM

Other strong performances:

Griffin Rackower: 11 saves/ 61% for Princeton vs Georgetown
Emmet Carroll: 16 saves/ 52% for Penn vs PSU
Coulter Mackesy: 6 points (5,1) for Princeton vs Georgetown
Janes Shipley: 3 points (3,0) for Penn vs PSU

Could be Dartmouth's third straight ROW this week,
Don't leave out Dartmouth's Mitchell Myers, who won 20 of 23 face-offs. Previously Siena's FOGO had gone 46 of 70 in their first three games.
Thanks! Coach Callahan seems to be creating some momentum and Mojo for the Big Green.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

courtdog wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:02 pm I think Brown might be better than Princeton and Penn at the moment but time will tell.
Yes, fair point! Hard to tell at this point. Brown didn't look good against Quinnipiac but has looked great since. Still haven't seen Princeton firing on all cylinders against a strong opponent but early days yet. Penn has looked great at points and vulnerable at points, but one big question (goalie succession) seems settled in the "they're in good shape" column. Yale has had stretches that were sublime and others . . . not so much, and still seems to be figuring out defensive issues. Harvard got blitzed by UVA -- what a rough draw for a first game -- but has some real talent and bounced back well in its next couple of games. Dartmouth is growing in confidence and has such a good FOGO that if the Big Green goalie has a great day, an upset could be brewing against any Ivy opponent.

Should be a great Ivy season with very few "gimmes" (although I don't know how anybody will stop CJ Kirst -- wow).
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Penn has a bear of a week. Wednesday at Saint Josephs and Saturday versus Villanova. Good luck to the Quakers.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I am not trying to troll Penn and Princeton fans here, but what is the logic for ranking Penn (1-2) and Princeton (2-2) ahead of Brown (3-1) this week? Princeton's two wins came at home against Monmouth and Manhattan. Penn's win came against 1-3 Georgetown. Brown was #16 in the pre-season polls before they absolutely laid an egg in the opener against Quinnipiac, losing by a goal. OK, they deserve to be penalized for that. Since that game, Brown has defeated Providence 13-7 at home and then traveled to beat UVM 22-12 and Stony Brook 17-12 on the road. As a reminder, Brown won the Ivy League regular season championship last year. As another reminder, Brown is 6-2 against Princeton since 2014. As a final reminder, the People's Goalie was first team All Ivy last spring and he eats disrespect for breakfast along with his 6-egg cheese & bacon omelets. Don't mess!
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:45 am I am not trying to troll Penn and Princeton fans here, but what is the logic for ranking Penn (1-2) and Princeton (2-2) ahead of Brown (3-1) this week? Princeton's two wins came at home against Monmouth and Manhattan. Penn's win came against 1-3 Georgetown. Brown was #16 in the pre-season polls before they absolutely laid an egg in the opener against Quinnipiac, losing by a goal. OK, they deserve to be penalized for that. Since that game, Brown has defeated Providence 13-7 at home and then traveled to beat UVM 22-12 and Stony Brook 17-12 on the road. As a reminder, Brown won the Ivy League regular season championship last year. As another reminder, Brown is 6-2 against Princeton since 2014. As a final reminder, the People's Goalie was first team All Ivy last spring and he eats disrespect for breakfast along with his 6-egg cheese & bacon omelets. Don't mess!
Are these groups monolithic? A broad statement such as yours is veering towards troll-dom based on its inexact construction. A little nuance would be well-received.

As an individual fan of Penn I have been less than enthused and have expressed those reservations publicly. Have no real interest or opinion re Princeton aside from a vested interest in their OOC and how it may impact intra-conference play and RPI.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:28 pm Some strong individual performances in the Ivy League this week:

Offense:

Emmett Paradine: 5 points (4,1) for Dartmouth vs Siena (strong Rookie Performance)

Defense:

James Shipley: 3 points (3,0) for Penn vs PSU

POW: CJ Kirst, Cornell
ROW: Emmett Paradine, Dartmouth

Honor Roll:

Matt Brandau: Yale (Attack)
Greg Campisi: Harvard (LSM)
Jack Casscaden: Cornell (FOGO)
Chris Lyons: Yale (Attack)
Coulter Mackesy: Princeton (Attack)
Aiden McLane: Brown (Attack)
Charlie Muller: Harvard (Defense)
Mitchell Meyers: Dartmouth (FOGO)
James Shipley: PENN (Midfield)

I wonder what input that the coaches have into this list. I was really surprised that neither the Harvard nor the Yale goalies were recognized. For Yale, Paquette's 22 save day is really an exceptional and unusually strong goaltending effort.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Billy Coyle? 4 goals, 2 assists
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:31 pm

Offense:

Defense:

Honor Roll:

I wonder what input that the coaches have into this list. I was really surprised that neither the Harvard nor the Yale goalies were recognized. For Yale, Paquette's 22 save day is really an exceptional and unusually strong goaltending effort.
Let me throw a little hyperbole out there and say it's embarrassing to supposedly have an "honor roll" for top performances and leave off a goalie with a 73% save percentage and 22 saves against a good opponent. Last week's omission of Trevor Yeboah Kodie after his performance against UVM was similarly baffling.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Gavin Adler shut down the three team top scorers he guarded. He should be mentioned
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:20 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:31 pm

Offense:

Defense:

Honor Roll:

Let me throw a little hyperbole out there and say it's embarrassing to supposedly have an "honor roll" for top performances and leave off a goalie with a 73% save percentage and 22 saves against a good opponent. Last week's omission of Trevor Yeboah Kodie after his performance against UVM was similarly baffling.
If it's any consolation, IL nominated Paquette as one of four national POW candidates in a social media poll.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:31 pm I wonder what input that the coaches have into this list.
I have the answer!

As some of you know, I am in occasional email contact with Jerry Price, Senior Communications Advisor and Historian for Princeton University Athletics, dating from the days when we were both trying to work out Ivy tournament possibilities.

He reads this board, and today he sent me an email with the following info:
Any chance you can let the board know that the schools’ SIDs nominate for Player and Rookie of the Week … sometimes the coaches make suggestions (ours don’t) … the league office then selects the winners, and everyone else nominated makes the honor roll … you can only nominate one person per category

Every week it seems like the consensus is that the league is sitting down and making these selections … it’s not how it works …
SID = Sports Information Director

After confirming that he was OK with being named as the source for this, there it is.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:02 pm
Can Opener wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:45 am I am not trying to troll Penn and Princeton fans here, but what is the logic for ranking Penn (1-2) and Princeton (2-2) ahead of Brown (3-1) this week? Princeton's two wins came at home against Monmouth and Manhattan. Penn's win came against 1-3 Georgetown. Brown was #16 in the pre-season polls before they absolutely laid an egg in the opener against Quinnipiac, losing by a goal. OK, they deserve to be penalized for that. Since that game, Brown has defeated Providence 13-7 at home and then traveled to beat UVM 22-12 and Stony Brook 17-12 on the road. As a reminder, Brown won the Ivy League regular season championship last year. As another reminder, Brown is 6-2 against Princeton since 2014. As a final reminder, the People's Goalie was first team All Ivy last spring and he eats disrespect for breakfast along with his 6-egg cheese & bacon omelets. Don't mess!
Are these groups monolithic? A broad statement such as yours is veering towards troll-dom based on its inexact construction. A little nuance would be well-received.
Respectfully, I can’t figure out the point you are trying to make.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

laxfan1313 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:41 pm Gavin Adler shut down the three team top scorers he guarded. He should be mentioned
Adler was tremendous.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:16 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:31 pm I wonder what input that the coaches have into this list.
I have the answer!

As some of you know, I am in occasional email contact with Jerry Price, Senior Communications Advisor and Historian for Princeton University Athletics, dating from the days when we were both trying to work out Ivy tournament possibilities.

Any chance you can let the board know that the schools’ SIDs nominate for Player and Rookie of the Week … sometimes the coaches make suggestions (ours don’t) … the league office then selects the winners, and everyone else nominated makes the honor roll … you can only nominate one person per category

Every week it seems like the consensus is that the league is sitting down and making these selections … it’s not how it works …

After confirming that he was OK with being named as the source for this, there it is.
Thank you, CU77! This makes sense. Some of the defensive players who have been nominated this week would require more intimate knowledge than is obviously available in box scores to support their nomination. I am guessing that there might be some coach input into those nominations. As context regarding Paquette's exclusion, in 2022 Connor Theriault of Brown was POW with 24 saves and a 75% save percentage against Cornell.
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:41 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:41 pm Gavin Adler shut down the three team top scorers he guarded. He should be mentioned
Adler was tremendous.
He’s the best defenseman in college lacrosse not enough people want to admit it because he doesn’t pass the “tall” eye test. Since my days at Duke, I’ve watched and evaluated college defenseman out of hobby and nobody has impressed me more over the years than him. Adler and Kirst just make Cornell games enjoyable to watch. I’m buying stock in that Big Red team
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:53 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:02 pm
Respectfully, I can’t figure out the point you are trying to make.
Generalizations are not useful.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:43 pm
CU77 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:16 pm
I have the answer!

Thank you, CU77! This makes sense. Some of the defensive players who have been nominated this week would require more intimate knowledge than is obviously available in box scores to support their nomination. I am guessing that there might be some coach input into those nominations. As context regarding Paquette's exclusion, in 2022 Connor Theriault of Brown was POW with 24 saves and a 75% save percentage against Cornell.
If I comprehend this correctly, Yale's SID (likely) nominated Brandau, not Paquette, as POW.
Hopefully that person will be aware to think of Paquette next time he has a stellar week.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”