York 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
AbeFroeman

Re: York 2023

Post by AbeFroeman »

I heard there was a major battle for goalie this off season. They really picked a solid player in #24. Kid is making some big time saves this year. Good move by York coaching staff.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

LaxFan1991 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:23 pm Awful decision making by Childs. A timeout is the only thing to do in that scenario. Big moments aren’t for him.
I don’t know if I’d go that far. Late game timeouts should be a basic, automatic call…but even the best coaches make mistakes. Berkman made the same mistake up 1 in the 2021 national championship against RIT; Salisbury lost the ball, the lead, and a ring because of it. Better for York to have this “teaching moment” now than in May.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

ah23 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:53 pm
LaxFan1991 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:23 pm Awful decision making by Childs. A timeout is the only thing to do in that scenario. Big moments aren’t for him.
I don’t know if I’d go that far. Late game timeouts should be a basic, automatic call…but even the best coaches make mistakes. Berkman made the same mistake up 1 in the 2021 national championship against RIT; Salisbury lost the ball, the lead, and a ring because of it. Better for York to have this “teaching moment” now than in May.
I would have called timeout. But in coaches defense, your best player has the ball with time running out. You want your players to make plays. RIT got away with a push from behind on that play that should have given the ball back to York

Time to focus on Salisbury.
Laxrealist

Post by Laxrealist »

Agree that it was a terrible decision not to call a timeout, especially as the play developed and before the turnover. And c'mon, you can't blame a non-call to bail a the player out after he was pinned like that. Can't blame the refs. Call timeout and set up a play.
Ah 23 - I agree, Bergman did make a similar mistake...and it was also a terrible decision. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Kudos to Wilhelm for stepping it up. He was clearly injured against W&L but has looked really good in the last two games. Senior/5th year leader York needs.
RIT appears to have taken a step back and does not have the transition game as in the last two years. Still early though. So great to see Noah Bruno out there having a ball with his brothers.
York - great start and overall played a great game and gave #1 all it could handle. Needs: But, cannot go 3 quarters with only 3 set-offense goals against a top opponent. Green scored only goal in 2nd quarter, and Facciponi scored twice in 2nd half off faceoff. Need composure and a few set plays to get scorers open. I didn't check stats, but think most goals were unassisted and that is not (or should not be) York's game.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxrealist wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:34 pm Agree that it was a terrible decision not to call a timeout, especially as the play developed and before the turnover. And c'mon, you can't blame a non-call to bail a the player out after he was pinned like that. Can't blame the refs. Call timeout and set up a play.
Ah 23 - I agree, Bergman did make a similar mistake...and it was also a terrible decision. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Kudos to Wilhelm for stepping it up. He was clearly injured against W&L but has looked really good in the last two games. Senior/5th year leader York needs.
RIT appears to have taken a step back and does not have the transition game as in the last two years. Still early though. So great to see Noah Bruno out there having a ball with his brothers.
York - great start and overall played a great game and gave #1 all it could handle. Needs: But, cannot go 3 quarters with only 3 set-offense goals against a top opponent. Green scored only goal in 2nd quarter, and Facciponi scored twice in 2nd half off faceoff. Need composure and a few set plays to get scorers open. I didn't check stats, but think most goals were unassisted and that is not (or should not be) York's game.
I can see why Childs did not call a time out as RIT would have gone zone and York had trouble with their zone, rather play in transition then try and get a last shot off with RIT’s defense being set up.

When RIT switched to zone that changed the game as York struggled to score against it.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

AbeFroeman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:12 pm But in coaches defense, your best player has the ball with time running out. You want your players to make plays.
+1
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Kudos to RIT. They did what they needed to do to come away victorious.

It very much felt like a coaches duel to me. York came out blazing, but you could see the effects of RIT’s adjustments at defense to stop that early York run. Similarly for York, adjusting to stop the flurry of RIT goals that wound up evening out the game.

From there, RIT’s efficiency on fast breaks seemed like the difference to me. They really are something to see, whipping that ball around.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxrealist

Post by Laxrealist »

I get the point on not calling a timeout, but completely disagree here. It is situational. There was no controlled break or anything that gave York the advantage. In fact, at least on video, it was 3 on 5 the entire time from when Mayer got the ball with 30 secs left until he lost it. I don't think another York player was even across the restraining line during that stretch. Childs has to realize that and see the odds are not good.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Laxrealist wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:53 am I get the point on not calling a timeout, but completely disagree here. It is situational. There was no controlled break or anything that gave York the advantage. In fact, at least on video, it was 3 on 5 the entire time from when Mayer got the ball with 30 secs left until he lost it. I don't think another York player was even across the restraining line during that stretch. Childs has to realize that and see the odds are not good.
Think that's right. York had all the momentum, nicely cutting the score to within one. Coach must have sensed their mo and let it play out.

Despite the 4th quarter let up, good win Tigers!
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxrealist wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:53 am I get the point on not calling a timeout, but completely disagree here. It is situational. There was no controlled break or anything that gave York the advantage. In fact, at least on video, it was 3 on 5 the entire time from when Mayer got the ball with 30 secs left until he lost it. I don't think another York player was even across the restraining line during that stretch. Childs has to realize that and see the odds are not good.
Yep, it was 3 on 5, and he was pinned on the end line. Timeout should have been called.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

That was a fun game and an interesting atmosphere yesterday.

The last face-off sequence is why I think they should do away with the face-off altogether. it is nearly impossible to get consistent calls on the face-off. by rule the RIT fogo committed not one but 2 infractions on the last face-off, both withholding the ball and the 1 step rule. He was doing this for most of the game without it being called. I have seen many other college games where if it is not out immediately they call it and go the other way. Does it change the game who knows but York would have had the ball with a full shot clock and a timeout.

The push is just leaving the game up to the ref's which is a bad idea. #4 can't get the ball taken from him there.

Either RIT is number 1 and Tork is clearly top 6 or7 or RIT a probably closer to 3 (behind CNU and Tufts) and York is 8/9 either way York is a top 10 team. 2 losses both by a goal.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:42 am
Yep, it was 3 on 5, and he was pinned on the end line. Timeout should have been called.
I would counter with 2 things 1- a timeout lets RIT's defense get set and York was struggling to score in a settled offense against RIT's zone. 2- you do not expect #4 to lose the ball so quickly at that point, I am sure that Childs was waiting to see if they could get something unsettled and would have called a timeout with about 20 seconds left if they had nothing.

It is easy being Monday morning quarterback but unless you have been in the situation you don't really know what you would do.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:53 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:42 am
I would counter with 2 things 1- a timeout lets RIT's defense get set and York was struggling to score in a settled offense against RIT's zone. 2- you do not expect #4 to lose the ball so quickly at that point, I am sure that Childs was waiting to see if they could get something unsettled and would have called a timeout with about 20 seconds left if they had nothing.

It is easy being Monday morning quarterback but unless you have been in the situation you don't really know what you would do.
RIT's D was in place, just another reason he should have called the TO. He lost the ball with 15.7 seconds left, and even he didn't he was pinned and they were playing 3 on 5. Watch the video.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

what the video doesn't show is Childs standing next to the trail to call a TO while York is losing the ball. His decision was sound, it just didn't work out for them yesterday
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:28 am what the video doesn't show is Childs standing next to the trail to call a TO while York is losing the ball. His decision was sound, it just didn't work out for them yesterday
So he planned on playing 3 on 5 to lure them into a false sense of security, burn 20 seconds, and then call TO?...makes perfect sense.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:48 am
Either RIT is number 1 and Tork is clearly top 6 or7 or RIT a probably closer to 3 (behind CNU and Tufts) and York is 8/9 either way York is a top 10 team. 2 losses both by a goal.
I am leaning towards the second. RIT didn’t seem as explosive. I moved RIT down to third this week. I kept York at 11. Not to say there are 10 teams better, but at this point of the season, I can’t put York above them, with two losses

York has played both RIT and CNU and from what I am hearing. CNU is a better team
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:47 am
Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:28 am what the video doesn't show is Childs standing next to the trail to call a TO while York is losing the ball. His decision was sound, it just didn't work out for them yesterday
So he planned on playing 3 on 5 to lure them into a false sense of security, burn 20 seconds, and then call TO?...makes perfect sense.
easy for you to be critical sitting at home watching. I am sure you have years of coaching experience that allows you to question Childs. As I said before it is easy to MMQ, but I will tell you from experience that in those situations it is generally a gut feeling and not any sort of set scenario. But, you keep saying stuff as you know.

I look forward to seeing what the Kean staff does in the same scenario, on the road against the #1 team in the country down a goal
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Asgot wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:00 am
easy for you to be critical sitting at home watching. I am sure you have years of coaching experience that allows you to question Childs. As I said before it is easy to MMQ, but I will tell you from experience that in those situations it is generally a gut feeling and not any sort of set scenario. But, you keep saying stuff as you know.

I look forward to seeing what the Kean staff does in the same scenario, on the road against the #1 team in the country down a goal
As soon as #43 p/u the ball he should have called TO. A youth league coach would have called TO as soon as they gained possession.

It's going to be a long year for York, but at least they have a good goalie, they should pray he plays an extra year.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:25 am

As soon as #43 p/u the ball he should have called TO. A youth league coach would have called TO as soon as they gained possession.

It's going to be a long year for York, but at least they have a good goalie, they should pray he plays an extra year.
It's amusing to listen to these keyboard coaches that suddenly know more than coach Childs. I know, you had to pickup up that xtra shift at Dunkin Donuts when Hopkins called for your coach interview or else you'd be in the big leagues by now.
Childs is one of the winning-est coaches in lacrosse. I'm sure there was reasoning behind what went down, but please by all means continue with your expert analysis on how to coach. I'm all ears and sit on the edge of my seat with anticipation. Maybe also in advance you can give Childs some advice for the upcoming Salisbury game. He and the team are going to need your opinion on how to win games for sure.

Aside from the BS troll, York played a pretty good game against the number 1 team in the country. Even with the offensive stalled, they were right there in it with a chance to win at the end. This team has shown what it can do when it's firing on all cylinders, and they'll go far this year in the playoffs. Looking forward to catching this weekends game.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

MacAttack wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:34 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:25 am

It's amusing to listen to these keyboard coaches that suddenly know more than coach Childs. I know, you had to pickup up that xtra shift at Dunkin Donuts when Hopkins called for your coach interview or else you'd be in the big leagues by now.
Childs is one of the winning-est coaches in lacrosse. I'm sure there was reasoning behind what went down, but please by all means continue with your expert analysis on how to coach. I'm all ears and sit on the edge of my seat with anticipation. Maybe also in advance you can give Childs some advice for the upcoming Salisbury game. He and the team are going to need your opinion on how to win games for sure.

Aside from the BS troll, York played a pretty good game against the number 1 team in the country. Even with the offensive stalled, they were right there in it with a chance to win at the end. This team has shown what it can do when it's firing on all cylinders, and they'll go far this year in the playoffs. Looking forward to catching this weekends game.
I'll take a large black cold brew.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”