D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by wgdsr »

lorin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:12 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:08 am
lorin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:53 am
tech37 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:44 am
stupefied wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:07 pm Mark is terrific. Just as with Maryland, this would have been a blowout loss if not for him. What;'s frustrating is Cuse offense can score . This team allergic to ground balls. wing play woeful. Onto JHU, like that matchup.
Aside from FOs and GBs, which we already knew was an issue, not sure what happened in 3rd quarter when Duke (to their credit) made their run. In that period it looked as though SU couldn't pass-n-catch. There must have been at least three or four uncaused turnovers and the strip of Thompson was inexcusable. Great stick handler but show some athleticism and run to daylight dude (not to pick on the kid but that obvious lapse kind of summed up that horrendous quarter).

Can they score? Any sense of a planned offense and shot selection was dismal in OT.

Does SU have a ride? If so, not seeing it.

What is up with Hiltz? He has certainly under achieved so far this season.

Needless-to-say, great game by Mark, and Kirst, nice game too.

Team can certainly still turn things around, but they lose to Hopkins, forget any post-season play.
Must be nice to be Cuse 3 and 3 lucky to beat Vermont now 2 and 3, and still have a chance for Tournament ? and before u answer the usual ACC answer UNC lost to Ohio state who got destroyed by Virginia, and UNC lost to Denver to lost to AF. Maryland lost to Loyola who lost to Rutgers and just got by Towson who is 1 and 4. So save the ACC IS A POWER HOUSE BS for someone else .If they didn't chicken out of playing Army they most likely be 2 and 4. and I would take Plunket over Spallina any day of the week.
who are you advocating for? army?? they lost to umass, who is 1 and 2 outside of that game. beat umass-lowell and got torched in their other 2 games.
they were lucky to beat rutgers.
their other wins are... wagner, mercer, and holy cross?? their next game is lafayette.

shouldn't there be an army thread?
We don't have one we do our talking on the field you should know that,
looks like you didn't get the memo!
lorin

Post by lorin »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:18 am
lorin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:12 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:08 am
lorin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:53 am
tech37 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:44 am
stupefied wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:07 pm Mark is terrific. Just as with Maryland, this would have been a blowout loss if not for him. What;'s frustrating is Cuse offense can score . This team allergic to ground balls. wing play woeful. Onto JHU, like that matchup.
Aside from FOs and GBs, which we already knew was an issue, not sure what happened in 3rd quarter when Duke (to their credit) made their run. In that period it looked as though SU couldn't pass-n-catch. There must have been at least three or four uncaused turnovers and the strip of Thompson was inexcusable. Great stick handler but show some athleticism and run to daylight dude (not to pick on the kid but that obvious lapse kind of summed up that horrendous quarter).

Can they score? Any sense of a planned offense and shot selection was dismal in OT.

Does SU have a ride? If so, not seeing it.

What is up with Hiltz? He has certainly under achieved so far this season.

Needless-to-say, great game by Mark, and Kirst, nice game too.

Team can certainly still turn things around, but they lose to Hopkins, forget any post-season play.
Must be nice to be Cuse 3 and 3 lucky to beat Vermont now 2 and 3, and still have a chance for Tournament ? and before u answer the usual ACC answer UNC lost to Ohio state who got destroyed by Virginia, and UNC lost to Denver to lost to AF. Maryland lost to Loyola who lost to Rutgers and just got by Towson who is 1 and 4. So save the ACC IS A POWER HOUSE BS for someone else .If they didn't chicken out of playing Army they most likely be 2 and 4. and I would take Plunket over Spallina any day of the week.
who are you advocating for? army?? they lost to umass, who is 1 and 2 outside of that game. beat umass-lowell and got torched in their other 2 games.
they were lucky to beat rutgers.
their other wins are... wagner, mercer, and holy cross?? their next game is lafayette.

shouldn't there be an army thread?
We don't have one we do our talking on the field you should know that,
looks like you didn't get the memo!
i am just killing time 10 minutes i am out.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

haha. army should be in the mix come pl playoff time.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Spot on, wing play, GB's and faceoffs are killing this team right now. I still think the D has major issues but faceoffs and GB's are glaring issues.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Nice young core of offensive talent helped by Kirst and Simmons transfers . Hiltz is a wondrous talent, agree with others who have cited that ball should be in his stick more . His skip passes are something to behold. Thomson has good vision up top especially on man up but see Hiltz as the best orchestrator and more involved. Will add that Rhoa gets overshadowed but he is a very impressive frosh as well. Cuse had the best of Hop last year but lost, perhaps unfair burden but Mark can make the difference when games are winnable.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Watched some of the Army/HC game yesterday...very unimpressive lacrosse, imho. Looks like a rebuilding year for the Black Knights. Probably a good thing they didn't come to JMA wireless dome :D

I agree with everything tech37 wrote earlier...with one caveat: tie game with a minute to go and zebra awards Duke a TO when the player never had possession. Terrible call and hate to see the ref inject himself in the game--especially at that critical stage. May not have mattered, but we'll never know..

Two things in 2023 that I've never seen in 50+ years of watching lacrosse: 12 pipe shots in a game & UVA scoring 20gs in the first half vs Harvard :o
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:04 pm Watched some of the Army/HC game yesterday...very unimpressive lacrosse, imho. Looks like a rebuilding year for the Black Knights. Probably a good thing they didn't come to JMA wireless dome :D

I agree with everything tech37 wrote earlier...with one caveat: tie game with a minute to go and zebra awards Duke a TO when the player never had possession. Terrible call and hate to see the ref inject himself in the game--especially at that critical stage. May not have mattered, but we'll never know..

Two things in 2023 that I've never seen in 50+ years of watching lacrosse: 12 pipe shots in a game & UVA scoring 20gs in the first half vs Harvard :o
That was a terrible call by the official, unfortunately he thought a Duke player had the ball and was moving it with when he awarded the TO. In reality he had lost it a few seconds before and it was loose but he never saw him lose possession. When he awards the TO you can even see him point to the guy he thinks has the ball.
Finster

Post by Finster »

I realize it’s not lacrosse, but…major sports stuff.

Jim Boeheim retires after 47 (FORTY-SEVEN!!!!) years as coach at Cuse. Amazing longevity.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/08/jim-boehe ... -47-years/

Wish Mike Hopkins would return
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Great career, but stayed about 5 years too long, imho….
Finster

Post by Finster »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:24 pm Great career, but stayed about 5 years too long, imho….

I think when Buddy committed to Cuse, he deferred his planned ‘18 retirement. Unfortunately.

Still, 47 years is amazing. I’m not sold on his replacement. Would much prefer to see Mike Hopkins. Seems like such major changes, first Desko now Boeheim.

Oh well. Back to lacrosse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:00 am
FMUBart wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:24 pm Great career, but stayed about 5 years too long, imho….

I think when Buddy committed to Cuse, he deferred his planned ‘18 retirement. Unfortunately.

Still, 47 years is amazing. I’m not sold on his replacement. Would much prefer to see Mike Hopkins. Seems like such major changes, first Desko now Boeheim.

Things are getting a little scary, Finster, you've posted a couple of things recently that I've agreed with (that's not a bad thing).
Full disclosure, I'm not a native Syracusian, didn't start hanging out here til I was nearly forty. Didn't grow up drinking the orange Kool Aid, wearing the orange glasses, or listening to those who will tell you the HOFer is the god of hoops, no reverence from me re JB. Not a good coach in my book, glad he's gone and I think five years ago is light. Not at all sold on his replacement either.
Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:49 am
Finster wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:00 am

Things are getting a little scary, Finster, you've posted a couple of things recently that I've agreed with (that's not a bad thing).
Full disclosure, I'm not a native Syracusian, didn't start hanging out here til I was nearly forty. Didn't grow up drinking the orange Kool Aid, wearing the orange glasses, or listening to those who will tell you the HOFer is the god of hoops, no reverence from me re JB. Not a good coach in my book, glad he's gone and I think five years ago is light. Not at all sold on his replacement either.

👍👍👍

(I’m battling over at the Hopkins board making sure these Baltimore folks don’t convince themselves this week on message boards that Syracuse-area refs are home-cooking refs; my experience has been the Cuse-area refs (who mostly call a game very fairly) if pressed tend to err on the side of the visitors, bizarrely because the refs don’t mind arguing with their New York neighbors during the week over who was more correct calling penalties…it’s a feisty lacrosse crowd in northern New York 😂)
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Will probably have out of town refs(for the Duke game, they were from PA), as that has been the assignors m.o.
Last edited by FMUBart on Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

SU just got robbed of a possession when clearly Duke should not have been awarded the ball. Doesn't mean SU wins but they might have. So worrying about the refs favoring SU is ridiculous. The refs might have cost SU a huge win vs 5th ranked Duke. If SU can keep the possession battle close then they can win this game. If not then JH won't have to worry about the refs at all.
Finster

Post by Finster »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:37 pm Will probably have out of town refs(for the Duke game, they were from PA), as that has been the assignors m.o.

I’ve always been curious how refs are assigned. The NILOA has always been fair imo.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

zzzzzzz :?
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

6 v 6 not working for Cuse... this isn't box. Fancy stick work isn't enough... where's the ability to dodge, beat a guy?

Where's the fast break... where's the ride? There's an entire field to consider... not just half.
lorin

Post by lorin »

tech37 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:03 am 6 v 6 not working for Cuse... this isn't box. Fancy stick work isn't enough... where's the ability to dodge, beat a guy?

Where's the fast break... where's the ride? There's an entire field to consider... not just half.
Agree hopefully they can recruit an X guy next year.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

tech37 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:03 am 6 v 6 not working for Cuse... this isn't box. Fancy stick work isn't enough... where's the ability to dodge, beat a guy?

Where's the fast break
... where's the ride? There's an entire field to consider... not just half.
I've been questioning this all season. I thought Gait wanted to get back to playing a more up tempo style? Also they have a goalie capable of making a lot of saves and most times cleanly, why are they never looking to outlet up the field and put pressure on other teams?
molo

Post by molo »

Did the announcers ever notice that 23 played attack? They mentioned that Kirtst and Simmons were playing midfield but never said who the third attackman was. Just one more reason why we need Ryan Powell on color.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”