D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:41 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:24 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:27 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:14 pm On to Virginia
We need Richmond to give the Cavaliers a tough game.

DocBarrister
8-0 10 minutes into this game. Better buckle up for Tuesday cause it sure looks like the Cavs get to coast in this one.
Richmond has now closed it to 8-4!

DocBarrister
Now 14-4 close to the half.

Not sure Richmond fully understands the importance of this game.

:?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:56 pm Not sure Richmond fully understands the importance of this game.
LOL
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-They play a lot as a team this year and more than in years past. When balls hit the ground especially at the defensive end you just see jays helmets and sticks everywhere. Scott Smith and Hawley have magnets in their sticks and minds for balls and scrapes. That last martin ct and there's 5 jays to get the gb.
-I don't look at the other rosters as closely but we look bigger on the field. Martin plays a lot taller.
 -There's a lot more confidence in a lot of these kids games. The chauvettes, bauers, inces, raposos. They're not afraid of it or passive.-Very strong starts to 1/3 quarters. -Dunn was excellent. Narewski is a baller but these kids have really brought it in his place so far.
-Great stuff from Quint about degnon's path. The story about the dad as a fighter pilot was good.
-These broadcasts are a lot more hopkins focused. We're not getting notre dame/albany/cuse/duke updates all day long.
 -They took the pressure off marcille, much better defensive effort despite the score.
-Dixon says we're back to uva/unc weekends next year-two big road games and you'd think cuse will be improved as well. 
-quint said st joes bussed in, didn't stay overnight. they started sluggish. 

down
-Jameson looked really unhappy after that dunn goal.
-JK made a big point preseason about staying out of man down. They were in the box a lot today.
-The start to the fourth looked like a lot of big games over the last decade+. St Joes upped the energy and the defense collapsed.
-Virginia has a night game and then travels. The schedule isn't an excuse for us tuesday.
molo

Post by molo »

Nice win against a good team. I’ll have to cut class but will be in the stands Tuesday afternoon. Richmond did make it tough for UVA this evening. How do you show the decency to keep the score below 30 without letting the other team pull a Harvard and come back against the backups? Well, actually you sub generous on offense and keep a few starters in on d for a little longer.
Look to the Richmond game for hope, but keep in mind that Harvard and OSU are pretty good. UVA may or may not go undefeated, but they will annihilate a few more good teams.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:21 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:16 pm BTW, I'll take Brett Martin over every other SDM in the country.
Don't know about that BUT he's become a lockdown guy. Definitely should be in the AA mix but probably won't be.

The rest of the SSDM group on the other hand...not a good day. Jaronski got cooked multiple times and the slide was too slow each time. That has got to get cleaned up. It goes without saying that you can't play like that against Virginia or it'll be another blowout.

Angelus with the quietest 8 point game in history.

Gotta give credit where it's due — nice game from Chauvette. English and Phillips didn't play. Don't think Kaufman did either.

Tyler Dunn gets my game ball though. 18/32 against a supposed 1st Team All-American.

12 out of 15 goals were assisted.

11 CTs for the Jays. DocB is fully torqued
Agree that Martin won't get the AA consideration he deserves but a lot of that is a bias towards SSDMs who are threats in transition. I care about that much less than having an SSDM who doesn't get beat when iso'ed and contributes reliably on the clear. Not sure there are any SDDMs better than Martin in those categories; I'm not sure he's been beaten yet this year.

Jaronski did have a rough go but got a huge GB on that last possession and made a really smart decision on the clear by nopt pushing upfield into what would have likely been a TO. Ince, I think, has been playing really well and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts getting more run.

We also badly out-coached them on the last possession. I though St. Joe's made a big mistake by running an iso from X with that gigantic dude. He's only got one move (bull dodge) and is a complete non-threat as a feeder. We did the right thing and sent the double quickly knowing he wouldn't punish that by feeding an open guy. He never had a chance.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:11 pm -They play a lot as a team this year and more than in years past. When balls hit the ground especially at the defensive end you just see jays helmets and sticks everywhere. Scott Smith and Hawley have magnets in their sticks and minds for balls and scrapes. That last martin ct and there's 5 jays to get the gb.
-I don't look at the other rosters as closely but we look bigger on the field. Martin plays a lot taller.
 -There's a lot more confidence in a lot of these kids games. The chauvettes, bauers, inces, raposos. They're not afraid of it or passive.-Very strong starts to 1/3 quarters. -Dunn was excellent. Narewski is a baller but these kids have really brought it in his place so far.
-Great stuff from Quint about degnon's path. The story about the dad as a fighter pilot was good.
-These broadcasts are a lot more hopkins focused. We're not getting notre dame/albany/cuse/duke updates all day long.
 -They took the pressure off marcille, much better defensive effort despite the score.
-Dixon says we're back to uva/unc weekends next year-two big road games and you'd think cuse will be improved as well. 

down
-JK made a big point preseason about staying out of man down. They were in the box a lot today.
-The start to the fourth looked like a lot of big games over the last decade+. St Joes upped the energy and the defense collapsed.
-Virginia has a night game and then travels. The schedule isn't an excuse for us tuesday.
Bonus Down

Ernie interviewing Milliman in wind tunnel. How does he post that and think that’s acceptable? Be better.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Solid win. Good job by JHU fogo
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:44 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:11 pm -They play a lot as a team this year and more than in years past. When balls hit the ground especially at the defensive end you just see jays helmets and sticks everywhere. Scott Smith and Hawley have magnets in their sticks and minds for balls and scrapes. That last martin ct and there's 5 jays to get the gb.

down
Bonus Down

Ernie interviewing Milliman in wind tunnel. How does he post that and think that’s acceptable? Be better.
they've hung the groundskeepers out to dry all season. quint has murdered them and those banners on the side were a mess on tv today.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Quint was correct about one thing - they do need to paint the goal mouth better - can't tell where it is. Jays finally got a goal mouth call.

If you had told me Hopkins would only get 31 shots, turn the ball over 21 times, go to the penalty box 6 times - at least twice full time, fall apart in clearing in the 4th quarter playing against a relatively high scoring team with a top face-off man I would have been pretty confident CBB would not be handing out bananas. Dunn/Marcille outplaying his counterpart/Hopkins scrapping out a few more possessions with ground balls and almost 50% shooting were the keys.

Not sustainable however - especially against a team that has put up a mind boggling 84 goals in 4 games - and Michigan/Harvard/Ohio State/Richmond is not exactly cupcake central. They got to play 39 guys last night - Hopkins was 24 and 1 of those 24 was a single face-off attempt by Callahan. Speaking of the roster has Daniels implemented some type of rolling suspension I don't know about? Phillips now down? No English who looked like he had a nice burst last game? Still no McDermott? This is where this schedule is going to bite you in the butt.

BIG had a nice day yesterday even with Maryland letting one get away. Who had Penn State outscoring Penn 6-0 in the 4th? Handley BTW is shooting 15% and has 11 turnovers.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:25 am Quint was correct about one thing - they do need to paint the goal mouth better - can't tell where it is. Jays finally got a goal mouth call.

If you had told me Hopkins would only get 31 shots, turn the ball over 21 times, go to the penalty box 6 times - at least twice full time, fall apart in clearing in the 4th quarter playing against a relatively high scoring team with a top face-off man I would have been pretty confident CBB would not be handing out bananas. Dunn/Marcille outplaying his counterpart/Hopkins scrapping out a few more possessions with ground balls and almost 50% shooting were the keys.

Not sustainable however - especially against a team that has put up a mind boggling 84 goals in 4 games - and Michigan/Harvard/Ohio State/Richmond is not exactly cupcake central. They got to play 39 guys last night - Hopkins was 24 and 1 of those 24 was a single face-off attempt by Callahan. Speaking of the roster has Daniels implemented some type of rolling suspension I don't know about? Phillips now down? No English who looked like he had a nice burst last game? Still no McDermott? This is where this schedule is going to bite you in the butt.

BIG had a nice day yesterday even with Maryland letting one get away. Who had Penn State outscoring Penn 6-0 in the 4th? Handley BTW is shooting 15% and has 11 turnovers.
Handley has been pretty bad this year. Playing hurt? Teams selling out to stop him and Penn not knowing how to respond? Either way it's been a major major story line. He was getting preseason Tewaaraton buzz, but he's no Ian Krampf!

Maher has indeed disappeared from the online roster. I don't really know what's gone on with that but I think I'm over trying to find out. We move on.

On the broadcast you could see McDermott in sweats and he's still hobbling around with a lower body injury. English was in sweats but looked ok. I have a hunch that burst of his might come in handy at some point this season.

Bright side — Narewski was in uniform. I wonder had Dunn and Callahan struggled if he would have gotten some run yesterday but thankfully we didn't need him. He's got to be getting close though.

Deans also back yesterday. Still too many guys in sweats but the injury situation is certainly better than it was a few weeks ago.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

congrats to hopkins on the dub, and glad they're getting guys back. makes for a bigger game this week, hope it's a good one.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:25 am Quint was correct about one thing - they do need to paint the goal mouth better - can't tell where it is. Jays finally got a goal mouth call.

Great win, I’m happy with it. But if St Joes has gotten competent goalie play, we lose. We’ve been on the other side of that a bunch recently, so I guess we were owed one.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Very fun game to watch -- nice win for JHU.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:59 am congrats to hopkins on the dub, and glad they're getting guys back. makes for a bigger game this week, hope it's a good one.
I hope it's not 10-0 out of the gate or whatever like last year - there should be no moral victories in that locker room but aside from being at home it's hard to see Hopkins with a bunch of advantages. UVA does present a very conspicuous set of problems that you have to solve:
- Their face-off man - as good as anyone - is averaging 60% and 1.5 goals per game. If he was on Hopkins roster he would be tied for 5th in goals. A really tall order for Dunn who took 32 face-offs yesterday (LaSalla took 26). Callahan will likely HAVE to contribute as I equate Narewski to Cage from Pet Semetary - he might come back but he also probably will not be like he was before. That kids has battled for sure.
- They are close to 70% on EMO - 6 trips to the box like yesterday with some full time could mean 4-6-8 goals goals - take your pick
- It seems like a team where you have to take away - or try - the attack to whatever degree you can. Cormier/Dickson and Shellenberger have 40 of the 84 goals. You can't play them straight up and think you'll be successful. Cormier with 5/Dickson with 4 and Shellenberger with 2-3 while passing out 5 helpers is how you get boat raced. I would give someone like Carson Brown a very simple assignment - you follow Cormier everywhere - you don't slide - you don't do anything but stay in front of him. If the Virginia middies have a field day - shake their hand at the end of the game but you probably can't play an attack averaging over 16 - I repeat 16 - points per game with a standard approach.
- Oh their defense has a couple monsters with wingspans like condors
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

about 5 of those turnovers were on great looks with guys going to the cage to score. If we're going to turn it over, given the state of the offense in recent weeks, I'll those where the offense is active and just missing.

Things fell apart in the fourth but they also came out strong to start and out of halftime. As well you could tell martin looked absolutely gassed midway through the 4th and he recovered to ct the game ending play.

listening to quint's podcast which was last wednesday they previewed the game and everything they had to say pointed to this game being a strong W for St.Joes on their path to a May run. Carc and cotter are doing the game against uva which means we're really going to get 2 hours of syracuse convo w/some play by play sprinkled in.

Smith has had a great year but he sort of came unglued at points yesterday. Degnon as well had an awful penalty.
Finster

Post by Finster »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:55 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:59 am congrats to hopkins on the dub, and glad they're getting guys back. makes for a bigger game this week, hope it's a good one.
I hope it's not 10-0 out of the gate or whatever like last year - there should be no moral victories in that locker room but aside from being at home it's hard to see Hopkins with a bunch of advantages. UVA does present a very conspicuous set of problems that you have to solve:
- Their face-off man - as good as anyone - is averaging 60% and 1.5 goals per game. If he was on Hopkins roster he would be tied for 5th in goals. A really tall order for Dunn who took 32 face-offs yesterday (LaSalla took 26). Callahan will likely HAVE to contribute as I equate Narewski to Cage from Pet Semetary - he might come back but he also probably will not be like he was before. That kids has battled for sure.
- They are close to 70% on EMO - 6 trips to the box like yesterday with some full time could mean 4-6-8 goals goals - take your pick
- It seems like a team where you have to take away - or try - the attack to whatever degree you can. Cormier/Dickson and Shellenberger have 40 of the 84 goals. You can't play them straight up and think you'll be successful. Cormier with 5/Dickson with 4 and Shellenberger with 2-3 while passing out 5 helpers is how you get boat raced. I would give someone like Carson Brown a very simple assignment - you follow Cormier everywhere - you don't slide - you don't do anything but stay in front of him. If the Virginia middies have a field day - shake their hand at the end of the game but you probably can't play an attack averaging over 16 - I repeat 16 - points per game with a standard approach.
- Oh their defense has a couple monsters with wingspans like condors

I’m not certain Cormier is the guy you shadow. It’s Shellenberger who makes UVA’s offense tick. The reason Cormier is getting goals is because 1) he’s strong and can get shots off fast but 2) other teams haven’t had three solid defensemen, so they assign 1+2 to Shellenberger and Dickson, leaving Cormier to work picks and get a shortie. The guy you assign to Cormier has to be strong; I think Cormier weighs around 220.

I don’t know Hopkins’ team. Do you have three solid defenders? Is your goalie good to great? Is your FOGO able to win a majority against Lasalla?

I wouldn’t say UVA’s defense is exceptional; on the other hand they rarely need to defend since the FOGO wins so much and the offense takes care of business. The Hoos aren’t easy to game plan for if your FOGO can’t win 60%.

As for the UVA midfield, they’re very good and very deep. But because Shellenberger and Dickson make everyone around them much better, I’m not certain we know yet just how good the middies are.

The way to beat UVA is to win possessions. If they get shots, they’re going to can them because that offense uses tons of cuts and gets frequent doorstep shots. It seemed like the Harvard game, the Harvard goalie often had his head looking the opposite way of the shot.

Good luck.
molo

Post by molo »

If Cormier weighs 220, I must weigh 150.I actually weigh a little shy of 170 most days. UVA ‘s second mist dangerous offensive player is a middie.
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:21 pm If Cormier weighs 220, I must weigh 150.I actually weigh a little shy of 170 most days. UVA ‘s second mist dangerous offensive player is a middie.

I mean, at least 220. Lol. He is noticeably larger than others. If you told me he was 240, I’d buy that.

The thing with him is he has a very fast release. If he’s free, he’s shooting.

I don’t know you defend UVA’s attack unless you have three exceptional defenders, one of whom must be large.

And I think you’re talking about McConvey? He’s great. But their offense still revolves around Shellenberger. You have to start there on defense. The rest is problematic enough, but if you don’t take care of Shellenberger, you won’t need to worry about everything else because UVA will win.
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

I’m regards to how we match up to the strong UVA attack I think we have a punchers chance. I think you move Mazzone down to close and have him on Dickson, put Smith on Shellenberger and Szulak on Cormier. Both Mazzone and Smith have been solid on ball defenders as well as really strong denying when off ball. Then you roll out Brown and Deans at LSM on Shultz or McConvey. It will all depend on how well we start the game. If UVA jumps out it will be a huge uphill battle. As far as Fogos go I think our 3 can hang with Petey. He is very good but we can throw 3 different skill sets if Matt is back and I think our wing play is some of the best in the county. Goalie play will be huge on Tuesday. Tim has showed up in big spots and seems to shine there when tested. Offense needs to keep good spacing and look to continue the dodge, pass, pass and shot. We have had a nice string of goals with hockey assists lately. Looking for a good game on Tuesday either way.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Paint the crease while they are at it

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”