Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Bmk2222

Re: Maryland 20

Post by Bmk2222 »

blue angels wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:09 am
PulpExposure wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:11 pm
blue angels wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:06 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:57 pm Looking forward to tomorrow’s game. Another great opportunity for the Terps to test themselves. Haven’t gotten an opportunity to watch the Irish this year. How is their defense looking, and how are Tevlin and Fake integrating? From a stats perspective, looks like the younger Kavanagh is surpassing his brother. Will be fun to watch them battle Zap and Makar.
Without a doubt, the best match up of the week, maybe season, to date. Will be really interesting to see how this one plays out
I wouldn't be surprised to see a ND win. They definitely feel shafted by the committee leaving them out of the tournament last year, so they'll come in with an angry edge. And their team is more experienced playing with each other, especially on the offensive side.

Later in the season I wouldn't give them the same edge, but right now, they have a lot more experience, and that will show. The two X factors are if Wierman can tilt the field enough to limit ND's offense, and then how does Ruppel play. Yes, Maryland's defense, especially at close, is up to the task, but you have to limit the opportunities the ND offense gets.
Well of course, there would be no surprise if Notre Dame won…..ND would likely be favored by neutral observers, but Maryland could still easily win it.

Sports book has MD favored -1.5, of course home field a big reason…….
10stone5

Re: Maryland 20

Post by 10stone5 »

Bmk2222 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:06 am
blue angels wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:09 am
PulpExposure wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:11 pm
blue angels wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:06 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:57 pm Looking forward to tomorrow’s game. Another great opportunity for the Terps to test themselves. Haven’t gotten an opportunity to watch the Irish this year. How is their defense looking, and how are Tevlin and Fake integrating? From a stats perspective, looks like the younger Kavanagh is surpassing his brother. Will be fun to watch them battle Zap and Makar.
Without a doubt, the best match up of the week, maybe season, to date. Will be really interesting to see how this one plays out
I wouldn't be surprised to see a ND win. They definitely feel shafted by the committee leaving them out of the tournament last year, so they'll come in with an angry edge. And their team is more experienced playing with each other, especially on the offensive side.

Later in the season I wouldn't give them the same edge, but right now, they have a lot more experience, and that will show. The two X factors are if Wierman can tilt the field enough to limit ND's offense, and then how does Ruppel play. Yes, Maryland's defense, especially at close, is up to the task, but you have to limit the opportunities the ND offense gets.
Well of course, there would be no surprise if Notre Dame won…..ND would likely be favored by neutral observers, but Maryland could still easily win it.

Sports book has MD favored -1.5, of course home field a big reason…….
Wierman and face offs, Terp’s shut down defense, also …
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by jrn19 »

This team's shooting the last month is...you really can't believe it. They came in the last 3 games shooting 20% and after that first half it'll drop lower. Been one of the worst shooting teams in the country for a whole month stretch. And not on bad shots. On a lot of good ones.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lynch is doing pretty well, faceoffs, all things considered.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Good to see Spanos hitting the back of the net. Also good to see that B1G+ figured out how to get the shot clock into the score box (at least for this game).
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Kavanagh makes a 15 yard on the run shot sweeping to his right. We've had lots of wide open time and room shots go wide or hit Entenmann or otherwise not go in. There's your difference
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Spanos may have made The Leap
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

3 OTs no SOG…
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:50 pm
jff97 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:43 pm I wonder if Notre Dame will bring their 2022 National Champions banner to College Park.
Never. Gets. Old.

Maybe they'll fly it on the back of the bag-piper when he comes in.
Oh they heard you!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Gatsby wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:41 pm
Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:50 pm
jff97 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:43 pm I wonder if Notre Dame will bring their 2022 National Champions banner to College Park.
Never. Gets. Old.

Maybe they'll fly it on the back of the bag-piper when he comes in.
Oh they heard you!
A 4 overtime game ?
nothing was settled.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

13-12 ND in OT. Shooting accuracy for the offense as jrn19 posted above was just putrid.
FiveZeroEight

Post by FiveZeroEight »

I hate to say it because he’s a great player, but Long absolutely killed us in OT. Tried to force it 4-5 separate times with nothing there leading to immediate turnovers.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

Great game by both teams. Terps shot terribly but mainly because they very rarely had their hands free. This offense has shown a real inability to win matchups. Tillman has never been a big advocate of picks above GLE but it might be time to consider it. Defense played great. Wierman was 20-31 (65%) but the possessions off faceoffs were much more even. That's an issue. Ruppel's future looks promising (although only 48% today.)
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

That Maryland offense was pretty rough to watch in OT.
Tillman is the guy I want to figure it out though.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

That's a killer. I think Kyle Long had 5 unforced turnovers by himself in overtime, seemed like he just completely shut down after he missed Erksa on the crease for what probably - can't say for sure because nothing is easy with this team right now - would have been the game winner. Physically spent probably and the mind went with it. You gotta empathize with him in that situation.

Pros:
- In some ways it was best offense has looked all year. Ball moved well. Spacing was great. They ran their usual patterns really effectively. When they needed to go and get goals, they got goals. Lot to like
- Maltz has grown his game a lot. Haven't seen him split dodge with left and right hand like that before
- Spanos is starting to flash, same with Erksa breaking defenders down. Guys are coming around. It's getting better.
- Ruppel is like Mac, he's got moxie and he makes big saves. He'll be another great one
- The ride is terrific. Love it
- If you told me the shorties would get run by - aside from Trader - the ND midfield the way they did I thought it'd be a long, long day. The fact they hung in the way they did is positive in a sense for the long term

Cons
- I mean, they shoulda won the game
- Not able to get quality shots off in OT. so many rough possessions
- Trader is elite but after that at shortie...it's better than 2018 and prob 2019 but def steep fall off from last few years. Lacey is decent, Redd and Kolar couldn't hold up. Gonna need a lot of help against middies who can win match-ups. Notre Dame ate them up in big/little pick games too. That was tough
- The shooting is...man. I really do think some of it is bad luck, I think a lot of it may be, but at some point the team might just not have shooters. Murphy is a great one. Kelly can shoot. Maltz can but he also has that hitch in his wind up which defenders can close on a bit. But 22%. Four games in a row 22% or worse. Middle of the pack in the country shooting the last month and you're talking at least a dozen more goals. That's just a massive, massive difference.
- Guh. They shoulda won the game.

Onto Albany.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

fsclax wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:56 pm Great game by both teams. Terps shot terribly but mainly because they very rarely had their hands free. This offense has shown a real inability to win matchups. Tillman has never been a big advocate of picks above GLE but it might be time to consider it. Defense played great. Wierman was 20-31 (65%) but the possessions off faceoffs were much more even. That's an issue. Ruppel's future looks promising (although only 48% today.)
They had their hands free a lot. They had at least 3-4 great looks on the crease not go. They've had tons of good looks the last few games not go. We're either looking at just an all time frigid shooting streak right now or this is just one of the worst shooting teams in the country. not fun to think about!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Great game. Should be a confidence builder for the team and some of the younger guys. Kyle Long 7 turnovers.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Long had 7 TOs for the game. Feel like he either was forced or took it on him to run the offense and it’s pretty clear that’s just not what his game is. He’s a complementary piece, and a very very good player, but today he was clearly not the guy you want running your offense. Especially in overtime where some of those passes were of the What the heck variety. Too forced.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Notre Dame is better right now. Their talent is more even across all units. If UMD won it would have been a program win. UMD is really missing Malever. Trader may need to be incorporated into the offense. Just keep trying to improve the offense and hopefully all the teams are a mishmash at the end of the year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Erksa showed some real flashes breaking down his man. Might be time to put some more on his plate. As mentioned above, setting more picks above cage. I feel bad for Long, he looked like he just lost his confidence or mentally he just sort of got tired along with his body I don’t know. There’s turnovers and then there’s what happened in OT. It was rough.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”