Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bwparker1

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by bwparker1 »

Posted ? Below.
Last edited by bwparker1 on Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwparker1

Post by bwparker1 »

WandL99 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:49 am O/U on CJ Kirst points today is 8.5 I’m taking the over.
What sports book are you finding that on? I use DraftKings here in Connecticut and they only have the game w/ Spread, Goal Total O/U and Moneyline on the game. Nothing else. Our other books in the state (Fan Duel/Mohegan Sun and Play Sugar House (CT Lotto), don't even have any College Lacrosse action at all!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’m not seeing many or any problems here, so far.
Anyone seeing anything ?
bwparker1

Post by bwparker1 »

Big Red 16
OSU 13
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Maybe,
letting up a bit, letting the other team back into the game would
be a criticism.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

20230304_140244.jpg
20230304_140244.jpg (37.84 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Great day in Columbus! Go Big Red!
another fan

Post by another fan »

Overall,very nice effort! Did get sloppy at the end. Nearly all OSU goals were in transition, often with o mids caught on the field.Not Ierlan's best, but could not do much on a number of goals, particularly in the late stages of the game. Blake is looking more comfortable, but just not finishing. Missed another layup, always shooting high.Still has rust to shake off. Lombardi is playing great ball from the second midfield. I thought this was Piatelli's best game,too. Settled D was solid and Myers was held in check. Kirst was super in the first half, quieter in second with OSU bringing early slides, but Coyle had a great game and took advantage of the focus on Kirst.

Another nice job by Cascadden, though would like to see a little more help from wings. What is wrong with Petrakis, though? Not only not winning many, but continuing procedure penalties that put us a man down.

Our overall effort and ground ball play seemed very strong. I like the continued improvement and solid play, knowing that we are still missing our quarterback and still have room to up our game.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

another fan wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:53 pm Overall,very nice effort! Did get sloppy at the end. Nearly all OSU goals were in transition, often with o mids caught on the field.Not Ierlan's best, but could not do much on a number of goals, particularly in the late stages of the game. Blake is looking more comfortable, but just not finishing. Missed another layup, always shooting high.Still has rust to shake off. Lombardi is playing great ball from the second midfield. I thought this was Piatelli's best game,too. Settled D was solid and Myers was held in check. Kirst was super in the first half, quieter in second with OSU bringing early slides, but Coyle had a great game and took advantage of the focus on Kirst.

Another nice job by Cascadden, though would like to see a little more help from wings. What is wrong with Petrakis, though? Not only not winning many, but continuing procedure penalties that put us a man down.

Our overall effort and ground ball play seemed very strong. I like the continued improvement and solid play, knowing that we are still missing our quarterback and still have room to up our game.
I wasn't able to watch the game, but is Billy Coyle playing from behind the goal?

If so, once Mike Long comes back, we might be able to play with two attackmen quarterbacking from behind the goal and working with cutting midfielders.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Also meant to mention that shorties played better. As I said most of OSU scoring was in transition or otherwise unsettled. Davis is a star in every way and had another great game with solid d, clearing, take aways, ground balls etc.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

A happy (but long) bus ride home for the Big Red.
Going into the game, knowing that Long would not play, I didn't think Cornell could put 16 on the board. They did - and that was while running lots of clock in the last 5-8 minutes.
The team is full of gamers. There was very aggressive play off the ground throughout the game by both teams. Staub, Rayhill, and Pysllos in particular hung tough, didn't give an inch.
Offense:
-I've concluded (4 games in) that when Long returns, I'd keep Piatelli at attack and move Coyle to the 1st line, with Wirtheim moving to the 2nd (leaving Sheehan as a rotated 2nd line mid).
-Probably one of Coyle's top 3 career games. He's playing very confidentially...and smart. Piatelli did everything Coach B wants from him (got 3 and missed a 4th from the crease when the goalie guessed right on his low shot). Nice goal by Wirtheim - glad to see him finally get one. It was off of an alley dodge on a sharp angle using creative stickwork. Kelleher had a beauty - a lefty shot off of a roll dodge with perfect upper corner placement. Another very solid game for Lombardi. Blake - while he looks more confident with the ACL brace, it was not a memorable game. He hasn't been able to finish. Kirst - once again, "scary good."
-My guess is that +/- for the 1st line vs. the 2nd line mids was ugly.
-A good offensive scheme. They really spread OSU out; they chose not to slide or not to do so aggressively. When OSU did, the long slides were less effective. The O was able to get plenty of matchups they wanted - an ss on guys like 15 and 27 is looking for trouble.
Defense:
Again, I love out poles. They were so connected in the 1st half, only giving up 3. Most of Ohio State's 2nd half goals were in transition, almost all with 0-mids caught back on D (think 27 and 2). Very few 6 on 6, though Psyllos' man ran by him in the 2nd half when he was playing ss off of a FO.
-Outstanding game for Adler.
-5 stars for Chris Davis (at least 2 takeaways). Kyle Smith may have had one of his best games as well. Really solid.
-Stevens made it through most of the game with 3 shorties (5,6,7), with Charlie Box now the 4th ss.
FOGO: Looks like 20 is the man now over 28. Buczek gave him the start. Psyllos held his own in relief. When Cascadden pops a draw cleanly, it's obvious he's heading right for the cage. On his goal, I'm yelling, "no, don't shoot it."
Other:
-Announcers (play by play and color) were very professional. Knowledgeable. And Neutral.
***I'm sure that Offense to Defense transition will be the #1 takeaway in film review. Good lessons to learn now.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Shots: Cornell 60, Ohio State 39
Ground Balls: Cornell 36, Ohio State 31
Faceoffs: Ohio State 19-of-33, Cornell 14-of-33
Clears: Ohio State 20-of-23, Cornell 21-of-22
Extra Man: Ohio State 2-for-3, Cornell 2-for-6
Saves: Ohio State (Wahlund) 15, Cornell (Ierlan) 8
Turnovers: Ohio State 20, Cornell 12

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/no-3-corn ... ate-16-13/

Surprised to see Ierlan with just 8 saves, I felt like he was making a lot of good stops through the first 3 quarters ...
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Great win.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:25 pm A happy (but long) bus ride home for the Big Red.
Going into the game, knowing that Long would not play, I didn't think Cornell could put 16 on the board. They did - and that was while running lots of clock in the last 5-8 minutes.
The team is full of gamers. There was very aggressive play off the ground throughout the game by both teams. Staub, Rayhill, and Pysllos in particular hung tough, didn't give an inch.
Offense:
-I've concluded (4 games in) that when Long returns, I'd keep Piatelli at attack and move Coyle to the 1st line, with Wirtheim moving to the 2nd (leaving Sheehan as a rotated 2nd line mid).
-Probably one of Coyle's top 3 career games. He's playing very confidentially...and smart. Piatelli did everything Coach B wants from him (got 3 and missed a 4th from the crease when the goalie guessed right on his low shot). Nice goal by Wirtheim - glad to see him finally get one. It was off of an alley dodge on a sharp angle using creative stickwork. Kelleher had a beauty - a lefty shot off of a roll dodge with perfect upper corner placement. Another very solid game for Lombardi. Blake - while he looks more confident with the ACL brace, it was not a memorable game. He hasn't been able to finish. Kirst - once again, "scary good."
-My guess is that +/- for the 1st line vs. the 2nd line mids was ugly.
-A good offensive scheme. They really spread OSU out; they chose not to slide or not to do so aggressively. When OSU did, the long slides were less effective. The O was able to get plenty of matchups they wanted - an ss on guys like 15 and 27 is looking for trouble.
Defense:
Again, I love out poles. They were so connected in the 1st half, only giving up 3. Most of Ohio State's 2nd half goals were in transition, almost all with 0-mids caught back on D (think 27 and 2). Very few 6 on 6, though Psyllos' man ran by him in the 2nd half when he was playing ss off of a FO.
-Outstanding game for Adler.
-5 stars for Chris Davis (at least 2 takeaways). Kyle Smith may have had one of his best games as well. Really solid.
-Stevens made it through most of the game with 3 shorties (5,6,7), with Charlie Box now the 4th ss.
FOGO: Looks like 20 is the man now over 28. Buczek gave him the start. Psyllos held his own in relief. When Cascadden pops a draw cleanly, it's obvious he's heading right for the cage. On his goal, I'm yelling, "no, don't shoot it."
Other:
-Announcers (play by play and color) were very professional. Knowledgeable. And Neutral.
***I'm sure that Offense to Defense transition will be the #1 takeaway in film review. Good lessons to learn now.
Lots of good to take from this game against a reputable opponent on the road. Putting up 16 (and that’s with working the clock the last 1/2 of the 4th Q) without Long and with the 1st line midfield yet to hit their stride is encouraging. I’m with you about keeping Piatelli on attack when Long gets back after initially believing we’d want to keep Coyle on attack. Blake and Kelleher seem a bit stagnant, and Coyle might be able to jumpstart that unit. Piatelli has really improved since the Albany game and is a credible enough threat and should continue to fit in well with Kirst and Long.

Faceoffs remain a work in progress, but Cascadden more than held his own while Petrakis works through his struggles. Cascadden at worst gets into a scrum on almost every draw, and our it seems to me our wing positioning needs to be tweaked, as they look like they are getting too close to each other on the scrums. There were some wild ground ball battles out there against a tenacious team, and we more than held our own.

As VRR notes our biggest weakness today was on transition D, and I’m sure that will be a point of emphasis this week. Ierlan started strong but faded a bit late. Our poles continue to shine, and the D-mids, led by Davis, continue to get better.

Regarding the webcast, good camerawork and the color guy was solid. I thought the PBP guy struggled a bit with some of the nuances of the sport, but was decent enough. One gripe is the absence of an embedded shot clock on the screen, which is always a welcome feature.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

What can we say that hasn't already been said about this team. They just gut out wins, and the players that step up each week is absolutely amazing. This coaching staff is the epitome of what great coaches do, and that is getting every ounce of effort from everyone of these players.
They again won the "non-sexy" stats like groundballs, caused turnovers and only had 12 turnovers themselves.
Today's star was Adler as he was in true shutdown mode, followed closely by Coyle who is just playing incredible lax. Davis is a stud as is Psyllos. Cascadden is obviously getting more comfortable and confident and no one was stopping him on the way to scoring that goal right off the faceoff.
Again, as I said last week, they continue to do this without Long, and again, that is a testament to this incredible coaching staff.
Can't wait to watch them live against a very formidable PSU in the Tambroni bowl.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:48 pm ...

Surprised to see Ierlan with just 8 saves, I felt like he was making a lot of good stops through the first 3 quarters ...
Having seen the stats but not watched the game, I found this comment on Chayse Ierlan particularly interesting. Congratulations to the Big Red on a big win today. Penn State is now looking like they are for real this season, which sets up another potentially tough test for the Big Red next Saturday. Tambroni back in Ithaca too. Then, the following Saturday Cornell plays at Yale. This season is fun!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Yale defeated Brown in men's hoops. Cornell secures a place in the men's ILT for basketball.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Kirst nm
another fan

Post by another fan »

For the hardcore fan who wants to review every faceoff from the OSU game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_je6dpx0qDg
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

another fan wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:13 pm For the hardcore fan who wants to review every faceoff from the OSU game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_je6dpx0qDg
Mostly against former statesman Drew Blanchard (graduate who had two years elig left)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Great win for the big red. Offense is humming.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”