Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ezra White

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by Ezra White »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:27 am
FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:14 am With Yale and Harvard posting impressive Friday wins, the weekend has started very well for the Ivies.

Will Brown take the New London Ferry to Long Island? I'm interested in the logistics of this game, which I'd think Brown should win. I'll say by three.

Presumably Georgetown will win a game this year, but hopefully their losing ways continue today in Princeton. The Tigers are trying to bounce back from their first loss, and on paper they must be favored, but my gut tells me that Georgetown will be ready for this one. Out on a limb, I'm predicting an overtime game, with Princeton winning.

Penn travels to Penn State. Tough one to call. PSU recently beat Yale, and Penn lost to Duke. Hmmmm, okay, I pick the Nittany Lions by one.

Cornell at The Ohio State University. Cornell to ace its first big test, winning in the Buckeye State by two!

And Dartmouth over Siena by four.
Ferry actually would make a lot of sense, take the Port Jeff one and you land almost at the school. Can you take buses on the ferry? However they get there, Bears better to be ready to play, SB is not a bad team.
Take Amtrak from Providence to New London, the ferry to Port Jeff, and hire buses to pick the team up and take it to a hotel near SB. Go down on Friday and come back after the game.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ezra White wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:09 am
pcowlax wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:27 am
FannOLax wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:14 am With Yale and Harvard posting impressive Friday wins, the weekend has started very well for the Ivies.

Will Brown take the New London Ferry to Long Island? I'm interested in the logistics of this game, which I'd think Brown should win. I'll say by three.

Presumably Georgetown will win a game this year, but hopefully their losing ways continue today in Princeton. The Tigers are trying to bounce back from their first loss, and on paper they must be favored, but my gut tells me that Georgetown will be ready for this one. Out on a limb, I'm predicting an overtime game, with Princeton winning.

Penn travels to Penn State. Tough one to call. PSU recently beat Yale, and Penn lost to Duke. Hmmmm, okay, I pick the Nittany Lions by one.

Cornell at The Ohio State University. Cornell to ace its first big test, winning in the Buckeye State by two!

And Dartmouth over Siena by four.
Ferry actually would make a lot of sense, take the Port Jeff one and you land almost at the school. Can you take buses on the ferry? However they get there, Bears better to be ready to play, SB is not a bad team.
Take Amtrak from Providence to New London, the ferry to Port Jeff, and hire buses to pick the team up and take it to a hotel near SB. Go down on Friday and come back after the game.
This is sounding like one of those SNL sketches about navigating roads around LA (“The Californians”).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dCer2e0t8r8

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:54 am
The Orfling wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:31 am Good picks, FannLax. I'm picking for a clean out-of-conference sweep this weekend for the Ivies, but there are definitely some that could go either way:
  • Come wind, rain or snow, Bruno is showing up. Brown by 3 over Stony Brook.
  • Cornell looking good! By 2 over Ohio State.
  • Climb aboard the D-train! Dartmouth keeps it rolling. By 5 over Siena.
  • Penn wins a nailbiter over a Penn State squad that throws a zone at Handley and Co. By 1 over PSU.
  • Princeton adds to Georgetown's woes. By 2 over Georgetown.
Brown by 1
Cornell by 5
Dart by 7
PSU with the second IVY upset by 1
Pton by 4
Good picks, Farfromgeneva. As a Yale fan, Penn State impressed but I hope Penn will prevail -- Yale was done in by a horrendous start (including a rough day on man down defense) but Penn State was well-coached and well-balanced.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Some strong individual performances in the Ivy League this week:

Offense:

CJ Kirst: 16 points (4,1) for Cornell vs OSU, (7,4) for Cornell vs Hobart
Matt Brandau: 8 points (4,4) for Yale vs UMass
Billy Coyle: 8 points (4,1) for Cornell vs OSU, (2,0) for Cornell vs Hobart
Aidan McLane: 7 points (5,2) for Brown vs Stony Brook
Chris Lyons: 5 points (5,0) for Yale vs UMass
Emmett Paradine: 5 points (4,1) for Dartmouth vs Siena (strong Rookie Performance)
Hayden Cheek: 4 points (4,0) for Harvard vs UVM
Miles Botkiss: 4 points (2,2) for Harvard vs UVM

Defense:

Jared Paquette: 22 saves/ 73% for Yale vs UMass
Christian Barnard: 13 saves/ 72% for Harvard vs UVM

Other strong performances:

Griffin Rackower: 11 saves/ 61% for Princeton vs Georgetown
Emmet Carroll: 16 saves/ 52% for Penn vs PSU
Coulter Mackesy: 6 points (5,1) for Princeton vs Georgetown
Janes Shipley: 3 points (3,0) for Penn vs PSU

Could be Dartmouth's third straight ROW this week,
molo

Post by molo »

Cornell separates from the pack. I think Yale is ahead of Princeton and Penn so far.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Princeton has got a pretty tough road ahead. @ Rutgers, @Penn, Yale, Brown, Syracuse.

Alex Slusher went 0-11 against Maryland and Georgetown, two tough games.

Hopefully, they can get rolling next week.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:54 am
The Orfling wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:31 am Good picks, FannLax. I'm picking for a clean out-of-conference sweep this weekend for the Ivies, but there are definitely some that could go either way:
  • Come wind, rain or snow, Bruno is showing up. Brown by 3 over Stony Brook.
  • Cornell looking good! By 2 over Ohio State.
  • Climb aboard the D-train! Dartmouth keeps it rolling. By 5 over Siena.
  • Penn wins a nailbiter over a Penn State squad that throws a zone at Handley and Co. By 1 over PSU.
  • Princeton adds to Georgetown's woes. By 2 over Georgetown.
Brown by 1
Cornell by 5
Dart by 7
PSU with the second IVY upset by 1
Pton by 4
Good picks, Farfromgeneva. As a Yale fan, Penn State impressed but I hope Penn will prevail -- Yale was done in by a horrendous start (including a rough day on man down defense) but Penn State was well-coached and well-balanced.
Guess I should’ve seen GTown was due, they’re not 0-4 bad.

Thought about having PsU by 2 but didn’t have +6 on my radar
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

While Penn and Princeton lost their second consecutive OOC games, the landscape has being shifting for the Ivies. Penn State's thumping of Penn might make Yale's loss to PSU look less bad, but it was also part of a trend yesterday of teams that didn't make the NCAA tourney last year beating teams that did. There was also Hop over St. Joe's, Michigan over Delaware and Notre Dame over Maryland. Did I miss any? The previous weekend, there was Duke over Penn.

In 2017, the Ivy was a one-bid confetence, while two Ivies got invited in 2018 and 2019 (Cornell probably should have been a third in 2019). The ACC and maybe the Big 10 are going to grab more tourney spots than last year, and I wonder how far back toward the norm the Ivy reverts.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:28 am While Penn and Princeton lost their second consecutive OOC games, the landscape has being shifting for the Ivies. Penn State's thumping of Penn might make Yale's loss to PSU look less bad, but it was also part of a trend yesterday of teams that didn't make the NCAA tourney last year beating teams that did. There was also Hop over St. Joe's, Michigan over Delaware and Notre Dame over Maryland. Did I miss any? The previous weekend, there was Duke over Penn.

In 2017, the Ivy was a one-bid confetence, while two Ivies got invited in 2018 and 2019 (Cornell probably should have been a third in 2019). The ACC and maybe the Big 10 are going to grab more tourney spots than last year, and I wonder how far back toward the norm the Ivy reverts.
At start of season I expected 3 with outside chance of four.
“I wish you would!”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:28 am ... I wonder how far back toward the norm the Ivy reverts.
Earlier I set the over/under at 3, and admitting I'm no expert on RPI (nor do I want to be) it depends on how much the OOC Ivy losses get punished in the polls. If voters give the teams the benefit of the doubt based on last year, as the Ivies beat each other in the conference games the damage can be contained. If they're punished in the polls, league wins will count as wins, but not as WINS!
Don't think anyone was saying 6, not even sure I saw a 5 predicted. Historically, has there even been 4? If the league can consistently get 3 teams in, that would be remarkable!

Props to Brown for a road win without D McLane & Trevor Yeboah-Kodie! No, I have no info.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The way things are shaping up (and there's a lot of lacrosse still to be played), I would not be shocked by a 2-bid year; the out-of-conference record is good, not great, and not historically great like last year, so there won't be "the ACC effect" where the teams go into league play with sky-high RPI and the inter-league losses don't end up hurting.

Current Ivy Power Rankings (from an avowed Yale loyalist):

1. Cornell (separated from the pack)
2. Yale on a good day (Yale on a bad day could drop to 5)
3. Penn (close but they get the nod for defense/goalie)
4. Princeton (but will rise as they figure things out)
5. Brown (if D. McLane and TYK are healthy)
6. Harvard (can easily move up as goalie/defense gel)
7. Dartmouth (this is the year they get the Ivy win, knocking off any of teams 2-6).
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:28 am While Penn and Princeton lost their second consecutive OOC games, the landscape has being shifting for the Ivies. Penn State's thumping of Penn might make Yale's loss to PSU look less bad, but it was also part of a trend yesterday of teams that didn't make the NCAA tourney last year beating teams that did. There was also Hop over St. Joe's, Michigan over Delaware and Notre Dame over Maryland. Did I miss any? The previous weekend, there was Duke over Penn.

Yale, Cornell, Penn and Princeton all have very tough OOC games next week. Those results will have a lot to do with what happens in May (I'm not an RPI expert either). I guess Ivy fans should also want the victorious OOC teams to keep doing well in their respective conferences.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 am

Yale, Cornell, Penn and Princeton all have very tough OOC games next week. Those results will have a lot to do with what happens in May (I'm not an RPI expert either). I guess Ivy fans should also want the victorious OOC teams to keep doing well in their respective conferences.
+ Brown @ UNC next week
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:17 am ....

Current Ivy Power Rankings (from an avowed Yale loyalist):

1. Cornell (separated from the pack)
2. Yale on a good day (Yale on a bad day could drop to 5)
3. Penn (close but they get the nod for defense/goalie)
4. Princeton (but will rise as they figure things out)
5. Brown (if D. McLane and TYK are healthy)
6. Harvard (can easily move up as goalie/defense gel)
7. Dartmouth (this is the year they get the Ivy win, knocking off any of teams 2-6).
There can't be much argument about Cornell at the top. The only other undefeated Ivy is Dartmouth, right now looking like a very interesting wild card in the pack.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RopeUnit wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:42 am

+ Brown @ UNC next week
If Brown beats UNC that may not qualify as a QW by AL standards come year end. (How does UNC have two road games vs Cuse this year?-for another thread but looking at their schedule they’ll be leaning hard on the Hop win come seasons end)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:19 am
RopeUnit wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:42 am

+ Brown @ UNC next week
If Brown beats UNC that may not qualify as a QW by AL standards come year end. (How does UNC have two road games vs Cuse this year?-for another thread but looking at their schedule they’ll be leaning hard on the Hop win come seasons end)
Apologies. I missed Brown/UNC. Good luck Bruno!
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

I think Brown might be better than Princeton and Penn at the moment but time will tell.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

courtdog wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:02 pm I think Brown might be better than Princeton and Penn at the moment but time will tell.
Yep.
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:28 pm Some strong individual performances in the Ivy League this week:

Offense:

CJ Kirst: 16 points (4,1) for Cornell vs OSU, (7,4) for Cornell vs Hobart
Matt Brandau: 8 points (4,4) for Yale vs UMass
Billy Coyle: 8 points (4,1) for Cornell vs OSU, (2,0) for Cornell vs Hobart
Aidan McLane: 7 points (5,2) for Brown vs Stony Brook
Chris Lyons: 5 points (5,0) for Yale vs UMass
Emmett Paradine: 5 points (4,1) for Dartmouth vs Siena (strong Rookie Performance)
Hayden Cheek: 4 points (4,0) for Harvard vs UVM
Miles Botkiss: 4 points (2,2) for Harvard vs UVM

Defense:

Jared Paquette: 22 saves/ 73% for Yale vs UMass
Christian Barnard: 13 saves/ 72% for Harvard vs UVM

Other strong performances:

Griffin Rackower: 11 saves/ 61% for Princeton vs Georgetown
Emmet Carroll: 16 saves/ 52% for Penn vs PSU
Coulter Mackesy: 6 points (5,1) for Princeton vs Georgetown
Janes Shipley: 3 points (3,0) for Penn vs PSU

Could be Dartmouth's third straight ROW this week,
Don't leave out Dartmouth's Mitchell Myers, who won 20 of 23 face-offs. Previously Siena's FOGO had gone 46 of 70 in their first three games.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”